Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Basenotes Member Jean paul Jicky's Avatar

Default help in choosing a fragrance

Hi everyone,
    I need a few advices on choosing a fragrance as my birthday present, I'm interested in the following frags:

"Lonestar Memories" by Tauer (love its complexity and the geranium-smoke-leather vibe)
    "Reverie au jardin" by Tauer (for the great unusual lavender and bitter florals)
    "Peau d'Espagne" by SMN (oldish vibe which I find always beguiling)
    "Cinabre" by Maria Candida Gentile (this one for its alchemic connotations...)
    "Manoumalia" by Les Nez (because of the opulence of the florals and a "peanut note" wich I seem to detect...maybe I'm wrong, sorry)

other advices are most welcome!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: help in choosing a fragrance

Perhaps Montale Dark Purple

From your list: Lonestar Memories

thank you for the advice! (Lonestar Memories is my top-of-the-list too...)

I own Lonestar Memories and Manoumalia is on my to-buy list. So these would be my suggestions too in your list (I have not tried the Gentile one). I don't know where you'd buy them. Some of them are available in florence at l'oprofumo shop. I found the shop's own Kalos quite interesting for its take on ambergris. but perhaps not as interesting as the other two.

cacio

Excellent choices.
    Glad to see Peau d'Espagne being considered. A Hidden gem.
    for swap/sale:

You have great taste!

I'd go for Lonestar Memories or Manoumalia - two brilliant fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I own Lonestar Memories and Manoumalia is on my to-buy list. So these would be my suggestions too in your list (I have not tried the Gentile one). I don't know where you'd buy them. Some of them are available in florence at l'oprofumo shop. I found the shop's own Kalos quite interesting for its take on ambergris. but perhaps not as interesting as the other two.

cacio
    Well, thank you for helping! I smelled a sample of Manoumalia a few years ago, and still recall the richness and unsettling image of "peanut butter and carnivorous tropical plants" it evoked...tomorrow I'll go for another try...
    Thanks for the advice too! Maybe I'll be in Florence in September for the Pitti Fragranze event, so I could give it a try...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Excellent choices.
    Glad to see Peau d'Espagne being considered. A Hidden gem.
    I first tried a SMN fragrance while looking for a Carnation perfume (then went for the Villoresi one, actually) and then discovered other great compositions: Marescialla, Tabacco toscano, Ginestra (broom), and liked them all, but Fieno (hay) and Peau d'Espagne were absolutely incredible and evocative!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    You have great taste!

I'd go for Lonestar Memories or Manoumalia - two brilliant fragrances.
    Glad to have someone from BHAM giving an advice! One of my dearest friends is living there, and also one of my favourite pictures by Albert More is exhibited there too! Thank you, Lonestar memories seems to get closer and closer...

Quote Originally Posted by Jean paul Jicky View Post

Glad to have someone from BHAM giving an advice! One of my dearest friends is living there, and also one of my favourite pictures by Albert More is exhibited there too! Thank you, Lonestar memories seems to get closer and closer...

Well I bought Lonestar Memories recently and Manoumalia is on my "need to be soon" list.
    I actually enjoy smelling Peau D'Espagne - but I don't know whether I like it. The opening is too harsh without a doubt, but the drydown turns quite quaint and powdery, very dated, it's got such a drastic change, comparing the opening to just an hour or two in and they smell like different fragrances.
    But yes, I guess the same can be said for Lonestar actually - but that's just delicious start to finish!
    Whatever you choose - enjoy
    And maybe we'll catch up in Birmingham one day then!

Power Where You Need It

You can't go wrong with any but my first two picks would be Lonestar Memories and Cinabre. Maria Candida Gentile should get much more attention around here...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    You can't go wrong with any but my first two picks would be Lonestar Memories and Cinabre. Maria Candida Gentile should get much more attention around here...
    Well, thank you for your advice (to me, it's like having a listening tip from your favourite singer!) At last I bought Lonestar Memories and am completely into it...it smells gorgeous, complex and enveloping and, even though here in Umbria it's REALLY hot, it's not cloying at all, a really nice sensation, indeed. As for Cinabre, I tested it again today and must admit that it will soon be in my wardrobe (by the way, I didn't think you would like that, knowing that you're not particularly into "rosy" scents...must admit that it's a "twisted" rose but, you know: "a rose is still a rose" ). M.C. Gentile creates really nice compositions (Hanbury, Barry Lyndon).

Last: I HAVE to say that Peau d'Espagne will SURELY be my next purchase! I completely fell in love with it, from the smoky head notes to the rich, powdery heart, for me it's the perfect substitute to the (too) expensive Creed's Royal english leather: long lasting and (IMHO) more complex, round and evocative...

thanks again, really