Code of Conduct

Default Mandarina Duck Pure Black ?

Saw this mentioned in Details magazine. Anybody see or try this?

Default Re: Mandarina Duck Pure Black ?

to me it is like anyother "black" fragrance - sweet, smokey, woody.

I own it. It's definitely a 'black' style frag but it really is unique in ways. Very versatile. You can wear it dressed up or casual. Kind of a dry, powdery vibe. The dry down is really quite different than others, too. Hard to describe but it's different. I really liked it better than many of the other 'black' frags I've come across. I got to try it at Dillard's.

PB is a frag that one of my more picky girlfriends actually raved about. She doesn't like alot of colognes but this one she really did.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I've only worn it a couple times and hadn't really had a chance to focus on the experience. I was kicking around the house today and decided to do one arm with a test dab or two of another cologne I'm testing on the other arm.

I'd call the dry down 'clean' black. I've known alot of 'dirty' blacks, this one is clean. It's pretty light, too, without being lacking in power. I find myself getting whiffs of it and wanting to get more in a full wearing type envelopment. I can see how some might call PB kind of 'soapy' although it surprisingly stays a black soap. It's kind of linear because it seems the middle and base notes show up early and the top notes can linger not because it's without complexity.

It's not offensive in any real way so I see Duck Black as a good office frag even if it could also be used in more intimate settings. It's one that's easy to wear in my opinion. It's very smooth, the clumsiest thing about this frag is the name.

Thanks for the info, Pipsta. I too saw the spread in Details, and my interest was definitely piqued.

This sounds very good.....I'll see if I can find this and take it for a test drive.....Gary

Wore PB last night again and I'm really starting to like this frag very much and find myself reaching for it more often. I woke up this morn and had to run some errands quick so threw on the T-shirt I wore the night before since it's pretty hot day today and figured I'd sweat pretty good so I didn't want to muck up another fresh shirt. The shirt still had plenty of PB scent on it and I put another spritz on my chest before heading out. It holds up surprisingly well to a hot day. Not oppressive at all, not too sweet.

I'm standing on line in a store and notice the two girls behind me poking at each other and out of the corner of my eye I see them both giving me a good sniff. One of them says 'Yummy', the other just giggled. They couldn't have been more than 16-17 years old otherwise I would have engaged them in some convo while we waited but I just gave them a sly glance back and smiled. They both just smiled back and we didn't really say anything to each other.

Hey guys im really late to this thread i know but im thinking about blind buying Mandarina Duck's Pure Black. Im gonna buy two bottles for fall/winter but i have three to choose from. La nuit De Lhomme (Which i like) Rochas man (Also like) and Pure black (Blind buy). Could Pure black be an every day scent and does it have good versatility? If it does im going to get Rochas man, but if it doesn't im going to buy La nuit for its versatility. Please respond if you see this. THanks so much

Get it!

haha ok will do from another thread ive been hearing its pretty versatile too, thanks so much!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Mandarina Duck Pure Black (2009) Nathalie Lorson Soft Woody Oriental
    ------------------
    •Top Notes: Indian Black Pepper, Bergamot, Mandarin Wood • Middle Notes: Tonka Bean, Tahitian Tiare Flower, African Orange Blossom •Base Notess: Sandalwood, Virginia Cedar, Madagascar Vanilla, Atlas Cedar
    ------------------
    Medium sillage and longevity. Nice mild florals in the heart note, but not really a floral scent overall. I would call if a Soft Woods. Characteristic notes are pepper, bergamot, mandarin petitgrain, orange blossom, tonka bean, sandalwood, cedar, vanilla. It’s kind of like a fougère that’s missing the central lavender theme-note.

Last edited by JaimeB; 31st May 2011 at 07:59 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Hey all. I just got a bottle of Mandarina Duck Black. I think it's quite good.

Question though - Is there a difference between 'BLACK' and 'PURE BLACK'?

Because my bottle/box just says 'Mandarina Duck Black' and the word 'Pure' isn't on it. Are these two different frags or did they just decide to stop using the word 'Pure' with it???

No there is no difference between "Black" and "Pure Black". The original name was Pure Black but there were trademark issues so it is now known as Mandarina Duck Black.

im thinking about buying this is there anything similar to it that I could get a good idea on how it smells?!? I heard it has some small similarities to reflection man?!? is this true

You can get it right now off the Walgreens website for $54.58 shipped for the 100ml bottle using their 20% off code. Not sure how long that deal goes on for. I've about emptied my 50ml bottle and really thinking about getting another with this deal. Great price for a great scent. One of my most complimented frags.

I'm not aware of any other frags that are all that similar but there probably is one or two put there, I just don't know of it.

I have thought about blind buying this fragrance for some time based on the notes. It sounds like something I would enjoy. It seems hard to come by in the States. I would welcome any other opinions on this one too. The Walgreen's sale has me thinking again about this purchase.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Dillards is the only store that I know that carries it in the US. That's where I got the smell it before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Dillards is the only store that I know that carries it in the US. That's where I got the smell it before buying.
    Yup, Dillards stocks Mandarina stuff, and I like their lineup. I'm always on the verge of buying this one and the original Mandarina Duck, but for some reason haven't gotten around to it yet. It's good stuff, and I wouldn't be afraid of blind buying it. A few bottles have shown up on the sales board here and they seem to have sold quickly, so you shouldn't have too much trouble passing it along if you don't like it.

I just blind bought this, hopefully it ends up being good. I'm excited
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Did you get the Walgreens deal?

From what I've seen you post about your likes and such I think you will enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by fashionablefragrances View Post
    No there is no difference between "Black" and "Pure Black". The original name was Pure Black but there were trademark issues so it is now known as Mandarina Duck Black.
    If this is indeed the case, I'm a bit relieved. Bought a bottle of "Black" from the BN Marketplace, only to later realize people kept referencing "Pure Black." Love the stuff nonetheless, but can anyone confirm?
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I can confirm, without doubt, that Mandarina Duck Black and Mandarina Duck Pure Black, are the same thing.

Dillards, Macy's in the South Florida, Miami area, Barney's, and some small independents like Bigelow's in NYC. It can also be purchased on the fashionablefragrance.com website. For anyone who would like to try it and you're not within driving distance of any of these stores, I'd suggest to go to the website and leave a message to receive a sample. I have no doubt when you try it you'll love it!

Did you get the Walgreens deal?

From what I've seen you post about your likes and such I think you will enjoy it!
    I bought it from a fellow BNer, I actually remembered our convos a while ago and how you said it was pretty good, so I Thought I would demo it out
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

is there anything similar to it so I can get a feel on how it smells?!?

Quote Originally Posted by justinmonty View Post
    is there anything similar to it so I can get a feel on how it smells?!?
    The closest thing I've found is like a stronger sweeter version of Polo Double Black. I like Double Black because of the Mango. It's basically a mandarin orange opening that goes into a heavy tonka bean and vanilla base. I like it quite a bit.

I have and love both Polo double black and MD pure black and find they aren't really that close at all. I don't know what y'all are smelling...lol

I have and love both Polo double black and MD pure black and find they aren't really that close at all. I don't know what y'all are smelling...lol
    Since Polo Double Black last about as long as an average person passing gas it's basically just the opening with the Mango and the bit of sweetness you get from it. Otherwise you can take any fragrance that's heavy on Tonka Bean and Vanilla and say it's similar to Pure Black.

Hmmm well, my skin must be different than most because PDB lasts a long time on it and after the mango fades it's a creamy coffee scent the rest of the way that's not too sweet or spicy.

I just didn't want someone to blind buy it thinking they were going to smell something similar to PDB and it's not really like that at all in my opinion.

i heard its very similar to 1 million however its smoother and cleaner, is this true?!?

Similar to 1 mil? Hmmmm, I wouldn't say it is. I wish I could come up with a known frag I find it similar to but I can't, sorry.

I just was smelling sprayers of my frags and I can say it has a similar feel to L'Instant EDP even though the notes are totally different, it just kind of feels similar if that makes any sense. To explain further it's kind of dense, a little powdery, both a bit sweet and spicy at the same time without either one dominating.

Of MDPB I can say it's kind of 'clean' but more in a crisp way. I wouldn't call it too floral or too woody even though it's a little of both. I know I'm probably not helping any so I apologize. I just wear both PDB and MDPB alot and don't find them all that similar. I'd wear PDB to the office and wear MDPB on a date. One is safe the other more sensual.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmonty View Post
    i heard its very similar to 1 million however its smoother and cleaner, is this true?!?
    I don't see them being similar as I'm a Tonka bean fan. PB is linear, but it's not so sweet where you can't pick out the pepper and floral notes.

Pure Black is pretty darn linear. There isn't much change at all after the initial opening burst and then until it gets way down to the base. It has a very long heart I guess I could say. Silentrich is right in saying it's hard to pick out notes, it's blended well, it's smooth.

I agree Pipsta and for a fragrance that's as linear as it is and would be easy to put a finger on, it's not. I went and looked at some reviews on this and most I've read were all positive, but the descriptions were all over the place on what they thought it smelled like. Some of the comparisons were Chanel Allure, Escada Magnetism, Le Male, Ghostman, Ted Lapidus Pour Lui, Jill Sander Man, 1 Million and a couple others. Glad I sampled this one first and really like it because this one is all over the board.

I would like to smell this one but whey anyone says "powdery" I want to run away. I do not like powdery scents at all. So if you all think this is even somewhat powdery, I ain't buying it?

So, is it powdery or not I ask...?
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

If you are familiar with the 'powdery' of L'Instant EDP it's the same type of feel, but not quite as dense, close, but not quite as much. Same thing with Dior Homme Intense type of 'powdery', similar to that. As well as Givenchy Play Intense. So there are a few of comparisons to gauge what I'm talking about. Note I'm not saying it smells like those three, just the 'powdery' feel of them.
    Last edited by Pipsta; 2nd December 2011 at 12:33 AM.

Some Barneys carry it, in the store, not online. In fact, depending on what you buy at Barney's, they may give you a free bottle of Mandarina Duck Black.

To me, this is all about the vanilla and tonka bean as silentrich stated. It starts with a mandarin/orange blossom note that is more "sharp" than the "cool" mango you get from Polo Double Black. They're different but they both have a spicy, tropical fruit kinda opening. From there, Pure Black goes straight floral/powdery the whole way to dry-down. Its nice but not really as dynamic as I expected. As a result, I was pleased but not excited. I'll probably keep it and wear it as a change of pace, but never really "love" it.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garçons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)