Code of Conduct

Default Define what a fall (autumn) fragrance is for you...and some examples of favorites.

To me Spring fragrances are fresh and maybe a bit floral. Summer fragrances are lighter and perhaps watery, something that will not get cloying in the heat. Winter brings out the deep and dark fragrances and spice. What defines a fall fragrance for you. It can still get pretty warm here but nights are cooler and light is changing in the sky. Name some of your favorites for fall and tell us why.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Default Re: Define what a fall (autumn) fragrance is for you...and some examples of favorites.

I personally don't categorize or choose my fragrances by season so anything in my collection could work for me in the autumn as well during any other season.

Default Re: Define what a fall (autumn) fragrance is for you...and some examples of favorites.

I think the fall is a great season to wear anything.

But if I had to pick ones I would think best for the fall, I would say amber or vetiver fragrances work great. They are oftentimes a little to stuffy to wear in the extreme heat, but aren't the deep heavy ones like A*Men(s), Leather-based ones, etc, that are normally associated with the cold.

Looking forward to more wearings of Amber Absolute and Cruel Intentions... And football season...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Dependent

on the cooler nights new haarlem

Fall reminds me of cool days and cooler nights. I like woods and spices that time of year. Thus I continue to wear TdH because the woods stands out more than the orange and I love Burberry London. Some think of it as more of a Christmas scent but I think its perfect for Fall.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I don't usually wear by season. The ones I find myself wearing more in the fall are: Hugo Boss Bottled, Chanel Bois des Iles and YSL La Nuit de L'homme.

I have picked up several other frags I plan on wearing this fall: Serge Lutens Chergui, Frank Los Angeles 2, Slumberhouse Vikt, Slumberhouse Ore, Slumberhouse Baque and Hermes Ambre Narguile...I guess the trend this fall for me at least will be more syrupy/resinous/sweet/smoky.

In San Francisco our weather isn't extreme one way or another, so I wear most stuff year round, but I'd still want to match autumn scents with an autumnal mood: dusky, brooding, a bit cozy but with that suggestion of slipping into the darkness of winter. First ones that come to mind in that vein are Gucci Pour Homme (2003), Amouage Memoir Man, and perhaps YSL M7.

I agree that I think fall is more woods and spicy frags. Winter I go more for heavy, gourmand, sweet, vanilla type frags that can have some spice and woods also.

I actually do like the idea of fragrances fitting within a season, just like certain colors project the season (Spring - greens, blues, yellows. Winter - Blues, whites) I like to think certain notes give the impression of the season. Fall to me is defined by what comes during that time, cooler weather but not too much, orange and brown colors, of course the leaves, a certain crispness to the air, spiced warm drinks...so the fragrance would give off that feeling.

Most of the time I'll wear whatever feels right, but most of the time what feels right is what I feel fits the weather. So some of my upcoming fall favorites will be:

Pure Havane
    Ambre Nuit
    Burning Leaves
    Chergui
    Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dzing!
    Ambre Narguile
    China White
    Red Aoud
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Sycomore
    Tilda Swanson Like This
    Traversee du Bosphore

There's a nice little benefit in holding off on wearing certain things in different seasons, once you start wearing it it's almost like falling in love with it all over again.

Banned
    Blog Entries

fall has more projection than a summer fragrance, less than a winter fragrance, and a little bit more than a spring fragrance.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I wear all of my fragrances throughout every season. It is all a matter of how many sprays to use. Fragrance Houses are simply ripping everyone off by selling watered down flankers, and so called 'summer scents.' In fact some of my heaver fragrances, Bois du Portugal, Grey Flannel, Givenchy Gentlemen, perform wonderfully during the warmer months and I receive many compliments. I simply spray them lightly.

Because i live in a desert it doesnt get too wintery here so i wear my winter frags for fall as well. I wear all of my gourmands during this time because when sweat happens bad things happen to some of them i have tried to wear during the summer! I like wearing the tobacco and coffee smelling ones a lot during fall and winter.....I like those types so much i dont have much of a summer collection....im working on that though

Pure Malt is comfortably my favourite autumn scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    ...It can still get pretty warm here but nights are cooler and light is changing in the sky. Name some of your favorites for fall and tell us why.
    We get the full 4 seasons. The farmers will soon be busy with final harvests and enough will fertilize with natural materials to be noticed. The leaves will fall, plants will die, rains will come and there will be a stew of decay. Quite pungent smells will be a brewin', indeed. That said... it's a good time to trot out the ambers, the heavier vetivers/patchoulis, the animalics, and the boozy.

Some of my favorites for this time: MPG's RdV, PdH, JdN; Goutal's Sables & Vetiver; Gentleman; LAdM; No.88; Rume, Jeke, Ore; Kouros, Opium; L'homme Sage; K10; Ambre Russe; BelAmi; etc. etc. oh, and Nicole Miller & Michael Kors are perfect for fall in my mind's eye, are quite economical and deserve special mention because they get it done well, especially when out for the cool evenings. But hey, that's me. I'm 50, right of center.... obviously YMMV. Afterall, perspective is most useful.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 23rd August 2012 at 12:36 AM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    In San Francisco our weather isn't extreme one way or another, so I wear most stuff year round, but I'd still want to match autumn scents with an autumnal mood: dusky, brooding, a bit cozy but with that suggestion of slipping into the darkness of winter.
    Another SF basenoter here, but you nailed it. Even though we don't have seasons, I still tend to match scents to seasonal moods. Also, one benefit of living in SF is that you can easily get away with wearing cooler weather scents year round (this is a curse if you hate cool weather scents).

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I like to think certain notes give the impression of the season. Fall to me is defined by what comes during that time, cooler weather but not too much, orange and brown colors, of course the leaves, a certain crispness to the air, spiced warm drinks...so the fragrance would give off that feeling.

There's a nice little benefit in holding off on wearing certain things in different seasons, once you start wearing it it's almost like falling in love with it all over again.
    Agree on all counts. I definitely go for orange/brown scents in the fall: amber, woods, spices, oud, maybe a little smoke, leather, booze... And I enjoy saving fragrances for certain seasons; my enjoyment stays fresh and I look forward to wearing new rotations of scents.

Also, wearing scents during distinctive times (whether seasons or a certain period of my life) helps build scent associations between the fragrances I wear and my memories. In the future, I might consider buying minis for vacations so I can always relive a trip by sniffing that mini bottle.

Some autumn favorites:

SSS Tabac Aurea
    Michael by Michael Kors
    Gucci pour Homme
    TF Oud Wood
    TF Amber Absolute
    Dior Homme/Intense
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    FM Bois d'Orage (don't own this but seems very fitting)
    SL Chergui
    Last edited by hobbes22; 23rd August 2012 at 12:20 AM.

Ok something stronger but not too sweet. Something dry. Take your winter line-up and subtract the gourmands, leave those for the winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Another SF basenoter here, but you nailed it. Even though we don't have seasons, I still tend to match scents to seasonal moods. Also, one benefit of living in SF is that you can easily get away with wearing cooler weather scents year round (this is a curse if you hate cool weather scents).

Agree on all counts. I definitely go for orange/brown scents in the fall: amber, woods, spices, oud, maybe a little smoke, leather, booze... And I enjoy saving fragrances for certain seasons; my enjoyment stays fresh and I look forward to wearing new rotations of scents.

Also, wearing scents during distinctive times (whether seasons or a certain period of my life) helps build scent associations between the fragrances I wear and my memories. In the future, I might consider buying minis for vacations so I can always relive a trip by sniffing that mini bottle.

Some autumn favorites:

SSS Tabac Aurea
    Michael by Michael Kors
    Gucci pour Homme
    TF Oud Wood
    TF Amber Absolute
    Dior Homme/Intense
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    FM Bois d'Orage (don't own this but seems very fitting)
    SL Chergui
    +1 on Michael Kors

A fragrance that if used in hot weather will be cloying.
    Some- A*Men, Ambre Sultan, Dior Homme, Gaultier2.
    Last edited by Alvus; 23rd August 2012 at 02:17 AM.

Noir de Noir & Tobacco Vanille are the quintessential autumn fragrances IMO.

This is great for me, too, as I'm trying to figure out what to wear (and I like the idea of matching scents with seasons). I have a ton of samples to try. Meanwhile, when I think of fall, I think of a light spice......kind of like a chai tea.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Autumn brings to mind a walk in the woods with red and yellow leaves crunching under leather boots, a campfire and flannel scarves. For me the quintessential autumn fragrance is Serge Lutens Chergui. Other honourable mentions are Tobacco Vanille, Spiritueuse Double Vanille and New Haarlem.

Leather, chypre, gourmands, orientals, maybe barbershop-style notes, my current autumn rotation containing, among the most worn "usual suspects": Ungaro III, YSL Rive Gauche, Chanel Antaeus, Versace l'Homme, Rochas Man, Crabtree&Evelyn Sandalwood and a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post

Most of the time I'll wear whatever feels right, but most of the time what feels right is what I feel fits the weather. So some of my upcoming fall favorites will be:

Pure Havane
    Ambre Nuit
    Burning Leaves
    Chergui
    Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dzing!
    Ambre Narguile
    China White
    Red Aoud
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Sycomore
    Tilda Swanson Like This
    Traversee du Bosphore
    Ah yes I forgot Sycomore! No matter when I wear this, I think of autumn. To me, with its faint smoke (distant chimneys?) and warm rootsy woods, it's like autumn in a bottle.

I don't follow seasons, but the first thing which came to mind was Sycomore.

I like spices, woods, leather, leafy notes, etc in the fall. Fragrances I have that remind me of fall include, Burberry The Beat, Jacomo de Jacomo Deep Blue, Serge Luten's Rousse, Burberry Brit, Tommy Bahama Original, L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Sport, and Gucci Pour Homme 2.
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 23rd August 2012 at 10:54 PM.

Arrow Re: Define what a fall (autumn) fragrance is for you...and some examples of favorites.

Reminds me chili mornings with roasted coffee smell floating in the air,, brown leaves falling from trees, multicolored forests, wet woods, mellow & sweet amber-y fruits. I usually match the scent with the season, so, among my favorites are: Gucci PH, Cacharel Nemo, Davidoff Zino, Lancome Miracle, V&R Antidote, Azzaro Visit, Terre d'Hermes, Shiseido Basala, Loewe Solo, Versace L'Homme, Boucheron Jaipur...
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day"..... I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Fall: | Gucci PH | Cacharel Nemo |
    YSL M7 | LAP L'Eau du Navigateur | Guerlain Heritage | YSL M7 OA | T.Mugler Pure Havane | Terre d'Hermes | Armani Attitude | T.Mugler B*Men | Lancome Miracle Homme | T.Mugler Pure Wood |

I always wear F M French Lover in the Fall as it reminds me of walking in a park after the rain with the leaves falling off the trees. Also warm spicy fragraces as well as Vetiver notes remind me of the Fall and seem to fit my mood for that season.

B*men
    http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

For me fall is the only time I can wear any fragrance. I don't have to worry about the scolding heat and insane air conditioning of the summer, the freezing cold and dry heat of winter heating, or the damp chill of spring.

In general, I like to wear my most difficult fragrances in the fall, like Eau Noire.
    Sales thread here

Banned

I'm looking forward to this autumn and I will wear some scents I have been neglecting for some time now. Scents that "feel" natural and provide a direct link to earth, such as Blenheim Bouquet, Douro, Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Concentrée. Maybe I'll save the orientals for winter, this time – with the exception of Fumerie Turque and Douce Amère, this mildly smiling blond girl. And of course there will be Noir Épices and Knize Ten in large quantities.

My Autumnal favorite has always been Michael by Michael Kors. Vintage if you can get it.

Blog Entries

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon, Vetyver by Mona di Orio, NY Amber Bond no. 9 if it is cool enough. I'd like to find a nice "smokey" fragrance for fall as well.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    We get the full 4 seasons. The farmers will soon be busy with final harvests and enough will fertilize with natural materials to be noticed. The leaves will fall, plants will die, rains will come and there will be a stew of decay. Quite pungent smells will be a brewin', indeed. That said... it's a good time to trot out the ambers, the heavier vetivers/patchoulis, the animalics, and the boozy.
    Ah yes, this is my experience of Autumn. That "forest floor mulch" smell is best captured by Patchouli. Smokey smells are a big thing in Autumn (bonfires) so yes a good smokey vetiver or a scent of freshly roasted Coffee Beans (I have yet to get myself a decent Black Coffee scent but I want one). Black Vetyver Cafe would be spot on for this.

I've been thinking about getting a bottle of Aramis, and come to think of it, Autumn suits it perfectly.

For the stuff I have:
    B*Men
    Eau des 4 Voleurs
    Giorgio for Men
    Play Intense (it isn't all that sweet)
    L'Essence de Déclaration
    Varvatos Vintage
    Zino

and on days I want cheering up, Body Kouros or Pure Havane.

I wear my fragrances all year round, but some of them has a warm aura that fits the autumn well.

Annick Goutal Sables
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Royal Oud
    Creed Tabarome Millesime
    Serge Lutens Chène
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Frapin Caravelle Epicee
    Amouage Honour man
    Ralph Laurent Polo

What I'd call a fall fragrance helps to get through a drizzling weather on an endless chain of all-cloudy days.
    Has to sharp, strong and vigorous.
    Aramis Tuscany, Gucci PH (2003), Lapidus PH, Etro Patchouly, Zegna (1992), Pontaccio 21 and Yatagan.

Regards, Odor.

There are a looot of great fall fragrance...my holy grail is L'Air du desert marocain..

I very much subscribe to seasonal scent selection. I imagine I'll be wearing DHI, L'Instant, Pure Havane and Spicebomb more in the cooler days to come.

Georgia is a mixed blessing though, because it really does not cool down until late October, Winter is more like Fall, and Spring starts in late March and quickly turns to Summer in May. We have about 5 minutes of Winter. May snow, may not at all. NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING! I HATE WINTER! Rain, snow and clouds are an abomination to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    There are a looot of great fall fragrance...my holy grail is L'Air du desert marocain..
    Yes, I'll have to break LADDM out. I have a 99% full bottle that I bet I have only worn like 5 times in over two years. My wife loves it, but I never reach for the stuff.

No particular order and I could go on...

1. Red for men
    2. Joop Homme
    3. Van Cleef & Aprel
    4. Arabie
    5. Antaeus
    6. M7
    7. Polo
    8. Obsession
    9. Kouros
    10. Tobacco Vanille