Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: scents and headachs

It may be due to too much stimulation of certain cells, sensitivity to particular molecules, or even smelling too much, which might lead to a kind of hyperventilation problem.

Banned

This thread might be enlightening: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/175...uces-headaches

I only get it a few times here and there and usually when I have sprayed to the neck too many times.

Default Re: scents and headaches

Harsh low quality synthetic ingredients.

for swap/sale:

I have yet to have a headache caused by a fragrance.

Thankfully, for me, never I scent I deliberately wore. Indeed, only one scent ever gave me a headache when I was 6, but then again I only wear scents deliberately, consentingly, intentionally since I was 14 and from that age onwards till today I was lucky enough that no scent EVER gave me any headache.

You know, I'm not sure that scientists completely understand the mechanism behind why people get headaches....just in general. Why, when you get a hangover, you feel pain in your head, rather than your leg or somewhere else. I know that the mechanism behind migraines is still fairly mysterious, in spite of all the study that's been done.

It's obvious that there are external things that trigger some people and not others, and various gasses taken in through the nose (not just perfumes) seem able to do it, even though the actual number of molecules that make it into our system must be incredibly small, in comparison to if you took even the most microscopic sip of the same material. Some people seem to have reactions that are based on the body's allergy mechanism, while for others it almost like it's some kind of individualized poisoning.

But it's always been my understanding that what the actual physical mechanism is behind headaches of any sort is still not fully understood.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Harsh low quality synthetic ingredients.
    This

The only time I got a headache from fragrance was when someone sprayed Arden's Red Door in the air. I assumed I was sensitive to one of the ingredients. Nothing else has bothered me since.

Define "harsh". Define "low quality".

Thanks for joining my post to this thread as this will be a big help with scents that I need to be cautious when I try. I've recently amassed a fairly large collection of samples, both official and not official ones. Many of the scents mentioned here are in my collection so it will be a help for me to be a bit cautious with testing some that are mentioned in this thread. I think I have a couple of hundred samples at this point. Interestingly that some of the scents mentioned also gave me headaches when I tried them. A*Men was the worst. It gave me a terrible headache and cold sweats. I tried it twice just to be sure that it wasn't a bad sample or a coincidence. Both times it made me sick.

Blog Entries

Headaches are classified as Muscular or vascular. Scent related headaches are caused by a systemic reaction that cause face and neck muscle reaction to a strong scent. the muscles contract, pull on the scalp and cause a headache. The only frags I have found that give me a headache all are from Bond no. 9. Something in their formula b/c almost every fragrance of theirs does it to me. Curiously, the brain has no sense of feeling, so there can be no pain in the brain, only the membrane around it and surrounding muscles. Many workplaces are going "Fragrance free" after complaints that like second hand smoke, fragrances are irritating.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I have recently started getting headaches with several fragrances. I really think I've developed allergies to some of the ingredients as my sinuses clog first and then the headache follows which I really feel is a sinus headache. I am going to have to try to figure out what ingredient or ingredients are causing this allergic reaction.

I have only had headaches with or around a couple of fragrances. Two that will set me off are Dior's Poison, and Estee Lauder's Beautiful.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

I think it's based on your nose and what you find overbearing. Armani Code kills me, but others seem to think it is subtle.

Basenotes Junkie

I've never gotten a headache from a fragrance, but there are quite a few that make me sneeze a little.