Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to buy for Fall? Suggestions Wood/Spice Possibly a Hint of Smoke.

Fall is coming up and I'd like to find something woody and spicy...possibly with a hint of smoke. Not really looking for anything just woody, as I already own Sycomore which is my current favorite. I love Slumberhouse frags, however, they're missing some spice. Please throw some suggestions my way. I'm looking for something under $100. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What to buy for Fall? Suggestions Wood/Spice Possibly a Hint of Smoke.

Comme des Garçons 2MAN! You need it. Smoky, woody, candle-waxy, spicy, very fall. And under $100.

On the cheap end, how about Marc Jacobs BANG? Woody, spicy with just a hint of gunpowder smoke (dry and sharp).

Mauboussin M Generation is spicy incense with some wood. Also cheap, too (fragrancenet.com).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to buy for Fall? Suggestions Wood/Spice Possibly a Hint of Smoke.

Chanel Antaeus is nicely spicy and warm. Not smoky though.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Chanel Antaeus is nicely spicy and warm. Not smoky though.

cacio
    That beeswax is almost smoky, though. I think Antaeus is a great recommendation! I'm definitely going to break mine out for the fall, now that you've reminded me of it.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Artisan Tea For Two.

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre by baldessarini or Zirh Ikon..............really good scents IMO

L'Occitane Eau des Baux. More spice than wood and smoke, but a good one for fall, very well-priced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Frank Los Angeles 2, a hidden gem

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge Chanel fanboy and I've been wanting to try CDG for a while. I need me some samples!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm lookin' forward to checkin' out CK Encounter, despite the tepid reviews thus far. It's made by the same cat who did Amouage Interlude and Opus VI; that has value in this regard. Under a $100, hmm, I agree with Redneck, CdG2 might be what you're after. While you're checking it out, check out the much maligned CdG Wonderwood. You'll probably have to go to Barneys for the CdG, so while you're there, smell Byredo Baudelaire and Nasomatto Pardon. Tom Ford Extreme comes to mind as well.

Post Thanks / Like

The little known 1903 by J. Peterman is a great woody fougere with frankincense and tobacco. The price $45 for 3.4 ounces is an absolute bargain.

Montale Santal Wood

CBIHP Burning Leaves or Michael by Michael Kors.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Tom Ford Extreme comes to mind as well.
    That would be my suggestion... It may stretch you dollar limit just a little though... A nice fall scent.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'll be picking up CB I Hate Perfume's Burning Leaves for the season.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn between a full bottle of Comme des Garçons 2 MAN and CB I Hate Perfume Burning Leaves...I may hold on the Chanel Antaeus and get a sample for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another great fall scent from CdG - kind of lacking in spice, but interesting in wood - is Monocle Scent 1: Hinoki, a.k.a. Hinoki. Great, unique wood scent. Always reminds me of a walk in a late October / early November forest.

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci pour Homme I.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaal Nur.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    L'Occitane Eau des Baux. More spice than wood and smoke, but a good one for fall, very well-priced.
    This

Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaning towards CDG 2 Man after reading reviews. Although burning leaves sounds awesome, I'm not sure how wearable it is..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    That would be my suggestion... It may stretch you dollar limit just a little though... A nice fall scent.
    Tom Ford Extreme is my SOTD and it is what you describe. It is $130, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Some that fit your description:

CdG Avignon - deep woods and some smoke
    CdG Jaisalmer - light smoke and light woods, very ethereal
    Odin NY 07 Tanoke - spice, incense, smoke
    Durbano Black Tourmaline - wall of smoke and woods
    Serge Lutens 5 O'Clock Ginngembre - mostly spice and woods
    CB I Hate Perfume November - gourmand spices, tobacco, smoke, woods, fallen leaves
    Burberry London - very light woods, spice, smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions! After reading up further I went with a full bottle of Frank Los Angeles 2. Additionally, I purchased samples of CB I hate Perfume November, CDG 2 Man, CDG Wonderwood and Chanel Antaeus.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your new fragrance!

But, sooner or later, try:

Bang by Marc Jacobs - One is initially treated to an explosion of a sparkly pepper, unrestrainedly furnished by the pepper triumvirate - black pepper with its smooth, almost woody presence, pink pepper with its hay-like, potpourri air and white pepper with its earthiness. This jumble is very velvety rather than sharp in texture. A faint woodiness beckons the lively opening to its middle. Here, in the heart, sundry woods and faint greens tame and infuse the vibrant pepper, and pass it to the waiting base. Bitter and earthen vetiver, somewhat peppery and herbaceous patchouli, musky and leathery white moss, smoky, citrusy and woody elemi as well as earthy and sweet benzoin create a dark concoction to absorb the heart. A byproduct of the commingling of the middle's conifers and dry cedar with the components of the robust base makes for a fleeting, turpentine-ish vibe, otherwise the much subdued, foreboding melange flows to its alluring drydown. This inviting composition can be an all-season scent, and has good projection and average longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Done, I just picked up a sample of Bang. I can't wait to test these all out. Definitely not going to wait for fall to start either. I'm really curious about Burning Leaves...Has anyone here worn it? If so, besides being a clear scent memory, do you find it wearable?

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Very wearable...but then again, if I like it, I'll wear it. It is very unique and starts off very heavy smoke, after a few minutes the slight maple sweetness comes into play...deeper into the dry down it does have a soft of cooked ham/sausage vibe to it with the sweetness and of course the smoke that last throughout the entire frag. On me it stays quite close to skin, but that's how I like it!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll second Burberry London.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael by Michael Kors comes to mind for me.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Current Rotation: Terre D'Hermes, Boucheron PH, Villoresi Uomo, Green Irish Tweed, Chanel PMC, Gucci PH, Floris Santal, Carven Homme, Dunhill '34, PI by Givenchy, Parfums de Nicolai New York

Post Thanks / Like

Dsquared Potion
    Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    Trussardi Uomo
    Zino Davidoff
    Escada pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Sonoma Scent Studio - Fireside Intense is a pretty nice late autumn/winter scent. Smells like smoke, campfire, woods.

Post Thanks / Like

Intimately Beckam is a woodsie/spicey cheapy. You can pick up a bottle for like 10 bucks. A lot of people complain about the longevitey but I get a good 6 hours with it and tons of compliments.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sample of Sonoma Scent Studio Fireside Intense, I'll be testing that as the weather begins to cool down :-)

I haven't sniffed these and have no idea about availability at all but there is Serge Noire, Fille En Aiguilles by Lutens, L'eau du Navigateaur L Artisan, Black Sea M. Micallef, French Lover by F. Malle. And I personally would really love to try each and every one of those. Edit: sorry as some of those may be out of your price range..maybe finding samples of those may be good though. Idk.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Recommending and about to purchase Burberry London

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried CB I Hate Perfume November today. It's really nothing special, I get the glade candle vibe. It smells much like the autumn pumpkin pie scents that I've recently walked past in target. Maybe it's time to give burning leaves a try...

- - - Updated - - -

I just tried Frank Los Angeles 2 today, what an amazing fragrance. This is a great addition to my regular rotation and fall line up. Anyone looking for perfection in a bottle that's different than cheaper designer stuff out there...this is it!