Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Bond - Andy Warhol Parting Ways

Just received a call from a Bond SA. She just received notice from Bond, they will be parting ways with Andy Warhol.

I am sure there will be much speculation on who is parting ways with whom.

If you have some extra money and could afford to purchase some of the Bond/Warhol fragrances, may be a collectors item at some time in the future.

Default Re: Bond - Andy Warhol Parting Ways

Seeing as how Andy Warhol has been dead for quite some time now, it does seem prudent to part with him.

So does that mean that they will stop making those products? I actually quite liked Silver Factory

Basenotes Plus

I like Silver Factory too.

The relationship is with the Andy Warhol Foundation, I believe.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    So does that mean that they will stop making those products? I actually quite liked Silver Factory
    I am not sure, but I think they may have to rename, since Silver Factory was his studio.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I am not sure, but I think they may have to rename, since Silver Factory was his studio.
    I believe it was just The Factory. And if "factory" is trademarked, lots of firms would be in trouble.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    I believe it was just The Factory. And if "factory" is trademarked, lots of firms would be in trouble.
    "Completed in 1887, the five-story building that housed Andy Warhol's Silver Factory was originally the Peoples Cold Storage and Warehouse. The structure stood on the site of the former F.A. Neumann Brewery, which sold lager beer in the mid to late 1980s. Over the years, it housed many businesses including an electrical work-station, a cigar manufacturer, and a few woodworking operations. The fourth-floor Factory space had likely housed an upholsterer's shop that outfitted newly-made furniture (Decorators Upholstery), not, as is commonly thought, a manufacturer of hats."

Basenotes Plus

Doesn't really matter what it was called. The fragrance was named "Andy Warhol Silver Factory"

I would have a hard time believing they could just drop Andy Warhol and get away with it.

Personally, I love Andy Warhol Montauk. I really hope they keep producing it. This one's an easy fix though, simply rename it Bond No 9 Montauk and create a new bottle without the Warhol sunset painting.

Seeing as how Andy Warhol has been dead for quite some time now, it does seem prudent to part with him.
    Makes sense.

I hope they don't have the nerve to leave it at "factory", after their past behaviour towards product naming.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Perhaps a problem with the Warhol estate?

Good news! Just received word that indeed "Andy Warhol" will be dropped. Re-designed bottles will be available mid-October. I was mainly concerned about Silver Factory and Montauk. Glad they will remain in the line.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo lapin x View Post
    seeing as how andy warhol has been dead for quite some time now, it does seem prudent to part with him.
    hahahaha

Banned

Have to see how this will play out, thanks for the heads up.

I hope Bond crashes and burns.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Blog Entries

Nice to know that the frags will still be there.

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with any of the Warhol fragrances. As for the Saks fragrances, I only liked the men's regular one, although I hear that the Texas Saks fragrance (hard to find) is *very* nice. Other than that, it seemed like the Harrods fragrances were always the better to really great ones. And now Bond has the I<3NY tourism deal, too. So it's probably not that big of a loss.

Any word on why? Perhaps jumping to more profitable licensing deals, and leaving the expensive one behind? Was the Andy Foundation raising the rent? I can imagine all kinds of scenarios, including cold feet because of the lawsuit.

Hmmm . . . there's one fragrance called simply "Andy Warhol," with his face as the only bottle decoration. I'm wondering what Bond will do with it. That one never seemed to garner a lot of attention or praise. It's been on my "need to try" list for a while.

The whole thing seems strange -- I would have thought Bond acquired a perpetual license, or at least a longterm one, in order to avoid having to rebrand its colognes so soon. Silver Factory, for example, has only been around for about five years.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    I agree.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I agree.
    Why? I don't want to make a controversy so if you think this will lead to arguments/drama, maybe PM, if you don't mind? I'm genuinely curious.

It is my understanding that the fragrance called "Andy Warhol" will be deleted. The others such as "Andy Warhol Silver Factory" will simply drop Andy's name and remain as "Silver Factory".

I don't believe Bond will "crash and burn" anymore than Creed will "crash and burn" regardless of anyone's wishes. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    It is my understanding that the fragrance called "Andy Warhol" will be deleted. The others such as "Andy Warhol Silver Factory" will simply drop Andy's name and remain as "Silver Factory".

I don't believe Bond will "crash and burn" anymore than Creed will "crash and burn" regardless of anyone's wishes. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    Agreed...why the hate?

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I agree.
    Hey now my Girl sells Bonds at Saks...we need them! lol Its the big seller at Saks.

Not a fan, but just have to say I imagine there will be threads claiming reformulation, especially with the more popular Silver Factory
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Overcome By Fumes

Andy Warhol? AW.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Agreed...why the hate?
    Agreed! Bond isn't for everyone. Hell, I haven't found one yet that I found worth paying that much for ME to buy, but that's just me. I'm not surprised at all that others love them. Even though I haven't found one I'd buy, I wouldn't dare deny that Bond does excellent work. The closest I've come to buying a Bond scent so far has been Bleecker Street, which I may end up buying someday... and Andy Warhol (the one that's called Andy Warhol and nothing more). I love the drydown of that one, but I don't care for the rest of the scent, and like a typical Bond, it lasts ages, which means it takes ages to get to the part of the scent I enjoy.

I don't get the thing people do where they think "I don't like it, thus, nobody should."

Bond isn't going to crash and burn. If anything, they're probably growing. My local Nordstrom has expanded their collection of Bonds over the past year.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Agreed...why the hate?
    This happened before my interest in scent, but I vaguely remember Bond was accused of somewhat questionable business practices. I'm sure there are old basenotes threads that address the issues, and I'd rather not discuss them since I don't personally know the facts. I do remember that lots of people were opinionated over Bond at the time -- not about the scents, but about the company.
    Current Top Five:

CologneFan85

Tired of hearing ppl bash on designer scents also

Companies have no qualms about trademarking common words and names. The Parfums D'Orsay company trademarked the generic word "dandy" and then placed lawsuit against Guerlain for Arsene Lupin Dandy. Guerlain was forced to pull all stock from shelves and repackage the scent. Luca Turin describes the house of D'Orsay as "never of the first rank" while Guerlain is a world-class fragrance company with a REAL pedigree dating back to 1828. (D'Orsay was founded in 1908 yet claims 1830 as the date of foundation.)

If the words "blue" or "bleue" were copyrighted, then we'd have a real mess.

More here on the history of D'Orsay and their marketing strategy:

Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."

I personally have a problem with Creed's marketing hype and Bond No. 9's bullying tactics on small artisan perfumers. I only own one Creed and I don't wear Bond on principle.

On Bond No. 9: http://www.thenonblonde.com/2008/01/...saved-230.html

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2008/01/...bond-no-9.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th December 2012 at 06:36 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo lapin x View Post
    seeing as how andy warhol has been dead for quite some time now, it does seem prudent to part with him.
    lol !!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Doesn't really matter what it was called. The fragrance was named "Andy Warhol Silver Factory"

I would have a hard time believing they could just drop Andy Warhol and get away with it.
    This is a very american thing, this ownership of "words". I don't get it ???
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

You know this has to be a money thing!

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    lol !!!!

- - - Updated - - -

David, please see my post. Parfums D'Orsay, a French company, had the word "dandy" trademarked in the European Union. Hence the lawsuit against Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    You know this has to be a money thing!
    Absolutely, and D'Orsay wanted some of the huge income from Guerlain, owned by LVMH.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Aren't brands required to protect their trademarks, lest they lose rights to them? I know that's how it works with patents, anyhow.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    lol !!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, this is a very international thing, this ownership of "words." Trademarks are international, though some countries are notorious for being lax about enforcement. The Andy Warhol foundation owns the mark, I'd guess, as well as the rights to reproduce Warhol's works and images (I have no personal knowledge of that, however). You can't just open an Andy Warhol restaurant or boutique and expect to profit from his name or likeness.

And sculptureofsoul is absolutely right. You have to protect a mark or you lose it over time. That's why when a company finds out its mark is being infringed, it is required to send a cease and desist letter, even if it really doesn't care much about the infringer (for example, the infringer is a mom and pop store many states away that does almost no business).

Sometimes, to avoid problems but not have to file suit, the owner of the mark sends a consent-to-use agreement or a license agreement to the infringer, under which the infringer agrees to pay a nominal sum each year while acknowledging the owner's rights.

Not sure what this really has to do with Bond, though. I'm sure Warhol licensed the name and images Bond uses, and the license has expired, so Bond has to stop using them. The only thing that surprises me is that the license wasn't for a longer period.
    Current Top Five:

Would surprise me if they would keep on producing these. They'll probably liquidate the rest of their stock and wipe their hands of it. I wouldn't mind picking up a $60 bottle of Silver Factory.

Bond scents are all named after places except "Andy Warhol". This one scent will be the only one discontinued. The others with his name, i.e. "Andy Warhol Silver Factory" will simply be labled "Silver Factory" in future batches. This came from a Bond rep.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Bond scents are all named after places except "Andy Warhol". This one scent will be the only one discontinued. The others with his name, i.e. "Andy Warhol Silver Factory" will simply be labled "Silver Factory" in future batches. This came from a Bond rep.
    A shame that the Andy Warhol (2011) would be discontinued. I have a bottle, rarely wear it, but wearing it tonight and really enjoying it. Can anyone confirm if this is truly going to be discontinued?

EDIT: Wonder when this is happening. The Andy Warhol is still available on Bond's site.