Code of Conduct

Default violet, violette…I've been searching for years

Glad I stumbled upon this website, hoping I might garner some inspiration from your thoughts!

When I was quite young, I had a small bottle of perfume that I could not get enough of…I loved the scent. I used it sparingly until I was in my late 20s. I have no idea what the scent was or what delicious aromas comprised its smell. It was floral, very light and pretty smelling; no musk or Oriental spices.

I acquired this little bottle of joy in the early 70s in western Canada, so the perfume had to have been made then or prior to the 70s.

I took it to perfume counters and to people who mixed essential oils. I never found out what it was.

Until a month ago, in French-speaking Belgium. I didn't find the perfume, but I had an ice cream flavored violette. It tasted like the perfume smelled!!! So, since then I have been searching for a violet/violette perfume I can reclaim from my youth!

I would welcome any ideas of a perfume, EDT, EDP, etc. that was made around the 70s or earlier.

If this is too vague, I apologize, but I'm willing to read every single message if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers!
    Renée

Default Re: violet, violette…I've been searching for years

Do you remember anything about the bottle or the box?

Welcome!

It is not what you're looking for, but Penhaligon has a very nice, straightforward, satisfying violet perfume called Violetta, which could work as a substitute. In Italy, a traditional violet perfume is called Violetta di Parma Borsari.

Meanwhile, you can partly satifsy your cravings for violet by eating things like Flavigny violette mints or, even more so, Choward's mints (which you can find in candy stores or the like). If you leave the Chowards mints in your bag, the bag will soon smell deliciously of violet.

cacio

I think they made this scent for a long time too: Violettes de Toulouse L'Originale Berdoues.

They make it in a cute bottle with an atomizer but I think a long time ago they made a little bottle (sometimes I see small vintage bottles for sale on ebay).

On this link, go to the 3rd row of pictures, 2nd from the left:

http://www.zen28.fr/
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

Second vote for Violettes de Toulouse by Henri Berdoues, smells just like them little violet flavored pastilles they sell in both Netherlands and Belgium. Given a choice, aim for EdP, the one that comes with a cute lavender colored bulb atomizer -- and do not forget NOT to use it as it ages the fragrance very fast.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It may have been Devon Violets. That one has been around a long time.

Devon Violets came in a number of different bottles-- see these images; maybe you will recognize one of the bottles:
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...N6na6gGxxYDADw

Having said that, I urge you to try Annick Goutal La Violette, which I personally like best among violet perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Do you remember anything about the bottle or the box?
    Hi socalwoman, good question!
    It was in a small, spherical, glass bottle. It was about 5 cm (2in) high and it had a little woven basket about one third of the way up from the bottom.
    The color of the perfume itself was either a light green or a ligh purple. Funny how I can't remember that.
    Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

Cacio,
    Great! Thank you for mentioning these two perfumes. I will check them out!!
    As for the candies, that is a fantastic idea! I like the part about the mints making my bag smell violet-y!
    I just ordered some Flavigny from France. I couldn't find the others with delivery to the Netherlands.
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

It is not what you're looking for, but Penhaligon has a very nice, straightforward, satisfying violet perfume called Violetta, which could work as a substitute. In Italy, a traditional violet perfume is called Violetta di Parma Borsari.

Meanwhile, you can partly satifsy your cravings for violet by eating things like Flavigny violette mints or, even more so, Choward's mints (which you can find in candy stores or the like). If you leave the Chowards mints in your bag, the bag will soon smell deliciously of violet.

cacio
    - - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for the link and the recommendation of the Violettes de Toulouse L'original Berdoues!!

Quote Originally Posted by vmarshmellow View Post
    I think they made this scent for a long time too: Violettes de Toulouse L'Originale Berdoues.

They make it in a cute bottle with an atomizer but I think a long time ago they made a little bottle (sometimes I see small vintage bottles for sale on ebay).

On this link, go to the 3rd row of pictures, 2nd from the left:

http://www.zen28.fr/
    - - - Updated - - -

This seems to be a very popular choice!

I wonder what mints you mean? The same ones mentioned by cacio? I'll have to start nosing around stores that carry candies more thoroughly!

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Second vote for Violettes de Toulouse by Henri Berdoues, smells just like them little violet flavored pastilles they sell in both Netherlands and Belgium. Given a choice, aim for EdP, the one that comes with a cute lavender colored bulb atomizer -- and do not forget NOT to use it as it ages the fragrance very fast.
    - - - Updated - - -

30 Roses, I never even thought of trying to identify the perfume by its bottle! So smart!!

Wow! It might very well have been Devon Violets…I don't see the exact bottle I had as I described to socalwoman, but once I saw the green contents and the purple bow (!! I forgot about the purple bow !!) it made me jump for joy! Im going to order some and see/smell how it compares!!! I'm so excited.

Plus, I want to check out the Violettes de toulouse L'original Berdoues that a few people have mentioned and the La Violette you have mentioned too.

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    It may have been Devon Violets. That one has been around a long time.

Devon Violets came in a number of different bottles-- see these images; maybe you will recognize one of the bottles:
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...N6na6gGxxYDADw

Having said that, I urge you to try Annick Goutal La Violette, which I personally like best among violet perfumes.
    Last edited by soulglue; 25th August 2012 at 09:01 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soulglue View Post
    It was in a small, spherical, glass bottle. It was about 5 cm (2in) high and it had a little woven basket about one third of the way up from the bottom.

Sounds like it's this one, then, and Devon Violets for sure:
    http://www.gisellez.com/index.php?op...=551&Itemid=87

I found this by Googling images of "Devon Violets" (omitting the word "perfume" from the search, unlike my earlier search.)

That is a great resource, 30 Roses - thanks for the link.

- - - Updated - - -

Since "cacio" mentioned it above, I meant to note that the Cheap Smells website is offering Penhaligon's Violetta at present, although buying such a large bottle unsniffed might be a bit much for "soulglue".

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Sounds like it's this one, then, and Devon Violets for sure:
    http://www.gisellez.com/index.php?op...=551&Itemid=87

I found this by Googling images of "Devon Violets" (omitting the word "perfume" from the search, unlike my earlier search.)
    Wow! You are incredible! That is it exactly. I'm pretty sure it had a little, purple bow on it too, as I recalled after seeing you original post about the bottles.

I should have done this years ago! I did end up ordering some Devon Violet from Rose Apothecary in the UK. I'll report back and let you know if this is it…although I'm pretty sure it will be. And it is so inexpensive!

Over time, I'd like to try all of the other suggestions here too. What a great website this is! I'll have to dig around it a bit more.

Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kitsch View Post
    That is a great resource, 30 Roses - thanks for the link.

- - - Updated - - -

Since "cacio" mentioned it above, I meant to note that the Cheap Smells website is offering Penhaligon's Violetta at present, although buying such a large bottle unsniffed might be a bit much for "soulglue".
    I will gladly try it though, if the Devon Violets isn't the smell I remember from my childhood, but I'm sure it will be…thanks to all the fantastic advice from all of you!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yay! I love a happy ending.

Glad you've found the perfume you were looking for! Let us know what you think of it, I hope it's the one you remember

I have been so impressed and caught up in this little odiferous adventure, I posted a few words about it in one of my blogs. If anyone is interested. : )
    Here is the ice cream that tasted like the perfume!

Congrats! Can't wait to see how it compares to what you remember
    Kudos 30 Roses you genius!

I had Devon Violet perfume as a kid too! It was my favorite as well. Yes, good job 30 Roses!!!! I still love violet scents, and there are some perfect recommendations here, IMHO. Borsari Violetta di Parma and Violettes de Toulouse by Berdoues (I’ve only tried the EDT) are both really nice and similar, if the current Devon Violet doesn’t quite satisfy. I’m really curious to hear your thoughts on the new Rose Apothecary version!

Oh, and Cacio, now I have to get some violet candies, not only to eat but to leave around in my purses!

My go-to violet (apart from the blends of My Queen, Aimez-Moi, Guerlain Arsene Lupin Dandy) is the Violetta di Parma by Borsari. Creamy violets and very long lasting.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yum, that ice cream looks gooood!

I love Flavigny violet pastilles, with the little piece of anise in the center. My grandmother used to buy them for me when I was little, so they always remind me of her.

Thanks for sharing your blog!

I tried the leather Arquiste perfume today. It opens with really nice violet leaves .... that almost caused an impulse buy.

Hello again!

Well, 30Roses was spot on! I received the perfume yesterday and it is exactly how I remembered it.

Thank you so much to everyone's input…I will definitely try the other scents you've mentioned too.

I am so happy!! yay!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm glad it still smells as you remembered it-- so often our old favorites have been reformulated!

Glad you found it! I would definitely say to try La Violette by Annick Goutal. Candied violet.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Fantastic, really glad it's how you remember it. I'd recommend the Rose and co Sweet Violets hand cream, it's a tiny jar but the fragrance is quite strong. Not sure how long it lasts - I tend to put it on when I go to bed so I'm not awake long enough to test longevity! Think I'll give Devon Violets a try at some point, I love violets...

I love those pastilles, too. I'm using one of the little tins now as a stray button box. I save everything.

I'm glad you found your fragrance, soulglue!