Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Perry Ellis 360 Red: A Defence of "Kockoffs" and Copies better than the original

In the wake of Apples epic courtroom patent victory over Samsung I thought it fitting to recognize copies or similar-to-original scents that are actually better than the original. Normally I would be against all things smell-alike, I found what Unilever did with Anarchy as a copy La Nuit De L'Homme distasteful, but friends, I have seen the light! Well kinda, you see once in a while a copy comes along that is better than the original(obviously not in the the case with Anarchy) and that pretty much sums up Perry Ellis 360 Red. I bought a bottle out of perverse curiosity and glowing reviews. I owned and sold the scent it "pays homage to" Armani's Acqua Di Gio whose musky base I found akin to sickly fermented fruit. 360 red gets rid of the musky monstrosity lurking in the base of ADG and replaces it with cinnamon, nutmeg and some sandalwood. This knockoff my friends is quite possibly the best Aquatic I own or have ever smelled. Same lemony citrus top notes as ADG but better longevity. I'm not the biggest aquatic fan, give me a Sexy gourmand any day, but my god the thing 360 red transforms into after settled on my skin has to be smelled to be believed. I the longevity is also much improved, 6-8 with this compared to to the 3-4 with ADG. It's fresh, and clean and a perfect everyday scent.

As impressed as I was, it got me wondering: what other frag copies or knockoffs are better than the original like this?
    Last edited by MarquisdeSod; 25th August 2012 at 05:51 AM.

Default Re: Perry Ellis 360 Red: A Defence of "Kockoffs" and Copies better than the original

Perry Ellis 360 Indigo is extremely similar to Bvlgari Blv, but has much better longevity.

Fred Hayman Touch for Men bears a strong similarity to Brut EDT, but again has much better longevity.

But others reverse that trend,
    Himalaya doesn't last as long as XS, and Original Santal doesn't last as long as Joop Homme.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Perry Ellis 360 Red: A Defence of "Kockoffs" and Copies better than the original

It goes to show that a savvy consumer can get more for less in the fragrance community. Kudos, my friend.

Basenotes Junkie

360 Red is the best cheapie next to nautica voyage IMO

360 Red is amazing. It beats ADG on every level.

I know it sounds corny, but the ladies absolutely love it.
    They like it more than ADG.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    ... Himalaya doesn't last as long as XS...
    And XS does not last as long as a local cheapy, Alliance, by Fragancias Cannon. Which, BTW, was blended by Carlos Benaim. At USD 15,00 for 3.3 Oz / 100 cm3, it is one of the best values for money around. Besides the compliments you get from the gals on the line of "oh, I love the way XS / Burberry's for men smells on you"...

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    It goes to show that a savvy consumer can get more for less in the fragrance community. Kudos, my friend.
    Add to this the snob factor, the ones that don't give these kinds of scents any chance at all because of their price. I witnessed how this attitude biased olfatory perception. When inexpensve scents were smelt without a clue as to the brand, the same EdT would be described by that person as "so wonderfully nice", LOL.
    Last edited by Pollux; 25th August 2012 at 02:28 AM.

Early October bump, :P.

Post more frags you think are better than the ones they're trying to copy/imitate/resemble.

I have to admit, I was a snob that refused to even look at copies. Last week I went into a shop here that makes their own copies.......not the normal copies that are in similar bottles that are designed to be fakes.
    I bought a Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille copy. It smells exactly like the original (which I own also), but it lasts a lot longer and is stronger. At $35 per 50ml, it is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    And XS does not last as long as a local cheapy, Alliance, by Fragancias Cannon. Which, BTW, was blended by Carlos Benaim. ...................... Besides the compliments you get from the gals on the line of "oh, I love the way XS / Burberry's for men smells on you"...
    Sorry for tardy reply.

I don't know Alliance, but I remember buying food in a shop from a gorgeous blonde women who almost swooned over the XS I was wearing. Beats me why people keep wasting their time with other scents.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    I have to admit, I was a snob that refused to even look at copies. Last week I went into a shop here that makes their own copies.......not the normal copies that are in similar bottles that are designed to be fakes.
    I bought a Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille copy. It smells exactly like the original (which I own also), but it lasts a lot longer and is stronger. At $35 per 50ml, it is a bargain.
    Where is this shop please?
    Regards,
    Renato

I enjoy 360 Red, as well as the very similar Paris Hilton Just Me. Both are by the same perfumer and are excellent takes on the Acqua Di Gio theme. I'll also add that I really love 360 White as well. (which is definitely inspired by Le Male). Between Le Male, Cuba Gold, and PE 360 White, 360 White is easily my favorite. I just think its smoother and more pleasing.

Where is this shop please?
    Regards,
    Renato
    http://www.palermoperfumes.com.au/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    Thanks,
    Renato

I love 360 red, but the atomizer is just atrocious. Very hard to press down, and not an easy going atomizer that presses down smoothly and soft like AdG's. The scent is awesome though, just the atomizer that is "real stiff."

From my experience it seems like it's a lot easier to replicate top notes (in some cases making them stronger or more interesting) than the base, and the base is "where the action is" for me, so the knockoff type frags hardy ever cut it.

- - - Updated - - -

From my experience it seems like it's a lot easier to replicate top notes (in some cases making them stronger or more interesting) than the base, and the base is "where the action is" for me, so the knockoff type frags hardy ever cut it. It seems like nobody wants to spend much money on the base these days (other than some niche frags, obviously).

Thanks,
    Renato
    +1 Thanks. But where does it say they are knock offs?
    Last edited by Melvournis; 9th October 2012 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    +1 Thanks. But where does it say they are knock offs?
    When you go into the store, you will see the plain, non labelled bottles.

....and from their website:
    "All of our perfumes are proudly made in Australia using imported French essences and naturalessential oils."

Ah! Most interesting indeed. Thanks again.

Edit: Please re post in Australian shopping section for safe keeping.
    Last edited by Melvournis; 10th October 2012 at 07:12 AM.

Definitely a "better AdG." It gets rid of bitter scent that lingers with AdG. Smoother and spicier.

I love 360 Red on paper but it's horrible on my skin. Just sold my bottle. I agree regarding the sprayer - it's useless.

Bloody hell, I've been trying to get my hands on 360 red for months. Australia you've done it again.

Edit: Just found a 3.3 oz on eBay for $30. Should I blind buy it ? Acqua Di Gio is currently #1 on my "to buy list"
    Should I just get 360 red men instead ?
    Last edited by inc0gnito; 10th October 2012 at 11:45 AM.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    Bloody hell, I've been trying to get my hands on 360 red for months. Australia you've done it again.

Edit: Just found a 3.3 oz on eBay for $30. Should I blind buy it ? Acqua Di Gio is currently #1 on my "to buy list"
    Yes, get the 360 red. I have both and like 360 red better than AdG. Plus, with how inexpensive it is, I use it a lot. More than my AdG. Sometimes I even layer them together.

I would. Heck, if AdG is on your to buy list, you don't need to think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I love 360 Red on paper but it's horrible on my skin. Just sold my bottle. I agree regarding the sprayer - it's useless.
    Thankfully it smells okay on mine

Quote Originally Posted by Jabz View Post
    Same! It does come off as a little harsh, but that settles down within minutes.
    Yes! Someone please do something about the sprayer. Mine shoots a long stream rather than a cloud, very annoying.

I was just about to purchase this when I noticed the box was gold rather than silver, is there a difference ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140857197...ht_2959wt_1132
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

I was just about to purchase this when I noticed the box was gold rather than silver, is there a difference ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140857197...ht_2959wt_1132
    Erm, maybe a knock-off.

the gold box is the women's. the picture is contradicting the title...

- - - Updated - - -

well what i said is true, but upon closer look, yeah that bottle says something about 365 days. lol. a knockoff of a knockoff? legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabz View Post
    Haha

It's a great fragrance for the price, just didn't work for me. You got a bargain.

360 Red smelled great, but had no longevity or projection for me. For those reasons, I let it go.

Basenotes Junkie

^ I get great longevity and projection w/ 360 red, a lot better than my AdG.