Code of Conduct

Default Testers without cap...does it really matter?

I just realized how much money I could have been saving by purchasing testers. I recall reading somewhere that the chances of a fragrance going bad increase if you do not keep the cap on.
    I find that hard to believe. Is it true?
    What do you all say, go for the cheaper tester ($13 less) or pay more for that beautiful cap?!

Default Re: Testers without cap...does it really matter?

It's a personal decision. For me, I don't buy testers without caps or which don't come in a box.

Basenotes Junkie

I think of the bottles as art and display them proudly so it bothers me when they are missing the cap, but I wouldn't really worry about the fragrance going bad just because the cap is missing. That sounds like a bunch of nonsense.

Hednic and 2ndBakeryAttack,
    Thank you. Personally, I always like purchasing them new.
    Agreed 2ndBakery! For some reason, not having the cap bothers me...it feels like the bottle isn't complete.

I can understand the bottle not feeling complete, but I have bought many testers without caps in the past. Other than a cosmetic deficiency, the juice inside is fine, and I have yet to have one go bad when properly stored.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The lack of a cap doesn't bother me. But if not having a cap will reduce your pleasure in using the scent, then don't buy testers.
    Also, if you think there is a chance you may want to sell the bottle someday, realize that it may be harder to find a buyer for it without a cap.

The lack of a cap should not affect the juice.

Thanks everyone. I just realized that with the coupon code on FN, a new bottle ends up being cheaper than a tester off of ebay.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It's a personal decision.
    This ^^^^, and I agree with gmmcnair who noted above that it merely a cosmetic deficiency.

I have purchased a few Creeds without caps, does not bother me as long as I get a discount.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have purchased many a fragrance without a cap and box over the years. Am also proud to say I have saved a considerable amount of $$$ doing so. Money saved = more fragrances.

Thanks everyone. I suppose it only makes sense to purchase these testers if you intend on expanding your collection, greatly.

Depends too much on the cap and specially on the bottle and spray.

Basenotes Plus

I've purchased many testers. I'd rather save $. besides I tend to lose caps in the black hole of my house because many do not fit properly
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I would pay $13 for beautiful cap and box.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Hednic and 2ndBakeryAttack,
    Thank you. Personally, I always like purchasing them new.
    Agreed 2ndBakery! For some reason, not having the cap bothers me...it feels like the bottle isn't complete.
    It isn't complete, so your feeling is spot on. Whilst other people gaze at their stylish bottles, including their caps, which they can take off and put on again, which it fun, you look at your bottle, a main part missing, as you were too cheap to buy a proper one :-(

I buy testers without cap too.

Thanks Russel, agreed! I will probably purchase testers if the price is right. $5 off for no box/cap isn't worth it, but $15 will add up.

Generally speaking I only ever buy the 'retail,' version of a scent once. Then I simply replace it with a tester and use my old cap. I also keep caps. Some 'lines,' and series all use the same cap, so you can buy testers as long as you have one spare. Just use vodka, everclear, denatured alchohol or window cleaner to wash it first.

Also many scents have an integrated 'cap,' or no cap due to the bottle design. A tester bottle of Bvlgari Black, Very Irresistable (for men) or Encre Noir is no different save that it could have a sticker on it, and will come in a plain white box or unboxed. The sticker can be removed by rubbing it with a cloth gently sprayed with WD40 or RP7. Also, the aforementioned products are worth owning because they're the best thing for polishing frosted glass bottles, though you could also use baby oil.

Some testers do come with caps. Into the Blue is one example.

I buy a lot of designer fragrances, and buying testers / 30ml bottles has probably saved me thousands of dollars.

That said some tester bottles are distinctly different. The tester for Lalique Amethyst is quite ugly, whereas the real deal is typically Lalique and quite lovely. As always do your homework. Think it over. Sometimes a smaller retail bottle is cheaper than a tester: a 30ml bottle of Obsession costs me $20, while a larger tester costs 30-something, but I find it so potent and rotate so many fragrances that a larger bottle is not needed. Hell, in many cases even a 7.5 or 10ml mini can last me a full season.

If you love a bottle, and consider it worthy of display don't get the tester. If not, it may be better. I think the Azzaro Pour Homme bottle is quite ugly, so I'd always buy a tester instead.