Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The difference between spraying fragrance up close, or far away? How far do you spray it?

So I've been experimenting... Trying different distances.

Point blank, equidistant from the sprayer and the end of the mist, and lastly at the end of the mist.

I have to say, when it's sprayed direct up close it's pretty strong... But if I spray it at a distance and get just the edges I find that I can pick up various notes easier/better. It smells different across my arm.

I tried this with The One by D&G.. I don't think it smells great when I bury my nose into it. But if I spray it as a slight mist I can appreciate it more. Doesn't project as well though.

What do you think is the best way to apply it in terms of distance (when spraying it)

Default Re: The difference between spraying fragrance up close, or far away? How far do you spray it?

Everyone has their own proven way. For me, an inch to two inches works well.

Default Re: The difference between spraying fragrance up close, or far away? How far do you spray it?

The closer you spray it, the more potent it'll be since you're basically flinging liquid straight onto your skin. From further away, you're getting hit by a mist of finer particles and the scent will wear more softly, which can be good or bad, depending on the scent.

As Hednic said, everyone has their own way, and it may vary from fragrance to fragrance. It does for me, anyway. This is why I always take a day or two to learn a new scent, usually spraying two sprays from about 10 inches away.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, different distances for different fragrances.

5 inches or so away works fine for me as it gives the spray a chance to disperse.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

The stronger I want a fragrance to be, the closer to the skin I will spray. It depends on the fragrance and the occasion.

Post Thanks / Like

I spray precisely 8.7 cm's away from my skin and at an angle of exactly 42.6 degrees.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I always spray my frags after putting on my tshirt. Since i have to go in from underneath, i guess the spray distance is at most 5 cm. so far so good for most of my fragrances. Only spray from a distance when i am wearing a shirt. Personally prefer a closer distance. More potent
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

25 cm or so.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    I spray precisely 8.7 cm's away from my skin and at an angle of exactly 42.6 degrees.
    0_o
    You use a laser meter?
    How about the angel?
    I think that you have to find a midle term. not to close, not to far away.
    Last edited by uruk-hai; 26th August 2012 at 11:03 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Ha! Me, too!

Post Thanks / Like

I only spray far enough as not to get rashes and/or choke myself, also not that far as not to get ANY actual fragrance on myself, but aside from that, anything goes.

For powehouse fragrance like Kouros, i sipray far away so i just get 3 good shots of mist... that will last the whole day and smells better.... for weaker fragrance like creed mi... i just nozzle it directly on the skin as many times as i can...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

To me, there are a few frags like Gendarme EdP which are concentrated enough that they don't smell right/good when I spray up close and get it all into a tiny spot. In this one's case, it smells too much like wintergreen (i.e. one of the ingredients seems to take over because it's so concentrated), and only if I disperse it over a slightly bigger area does it smell more like the original EdC.

Post Thanks / Like

Got tired of spraying on myself years ago - perfume anyway :-)

In most cases I'd much rather spray it into my hands and swipe it across the places I want it to go. Like to get the feel of it, get it all over my hands, swipe a little on my shirt, etc. Satisfying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Got tired of spraying on myself years ago - perfume anyway :-)

In most cases I'd much rather spray it into my hands and swipe it across the places I want it to go. Like to get the feel of it, get it all over my hands, swipe a little on my shirt, etc. Satisfying.
    Kind of ruining the fragrance - IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sol invictus View Post
    i spray precisely 8.7 cm's away from my skin and at an angle of exactly 42.6 degrees.
    lol

- - - Updated - - -

Too far away and it wastes half of it missing my neck. Too close and it drips into my bellybutton.
    For Sale: Gengis Kahn, Mona d' Orio, Penhaligons.

Post Thanks / Like

This!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    The stronger I want a fragrance to be, the closer to the skin I will spray. It depends on the fragrance and the occasion.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Solo (Absoluto)
    - Chanel: Antaeus
    - Chanel: Egoïste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAboveSky View Post
    So I've been experimenting... Trying different distances.

Point blank, equidistant from the sprayer and the end of the mist, and lastly at the end of the mist.

I have to say, when it's sprayed direct up close it's pretty strong... But if I spray it at a distance and get just the edges I find that I can pick up various notes easier/better. It smells different across my arm.

I tried this with The One by D&G.. I don't think it smells great when I bury my nose into it. But if I spray it as a slight mist I can appreciate it more. Doesn't project as well though.

What do you think is the best way to apply it in terms of distance (when spraying it)
    Tomorrow is Angel*Men day so i´ll try to spray closer to the skin and see if it last more

Remenber: if you have more than one parfum, try rotation between them

Post Thanks / Like

I spray under clothes, usually after I've put them on - so distance doesn't matter.
    Regards,
    Renato

No more than 1", never. Actually as close as possible, i dont like to miss juice.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I spray under clothes, usually after I've put them on - so distance doesn't matter.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I dont understand why you put under clothes.
    Sorry for my ignorance.

Post Thanks / Like

Me neither to be honest.........
    If I would do that noone incl. myself would smell anything unless I would spray 10+ times.

Quote Originally Posted by uruk-hai View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance.

0_o
    You use a laser meter?
    OMG! Why didn't *I* think of that?!? I've been using a protractor for YEARS! I knew there had to be an easier way. Laser Meter FTW!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for my ignorance.
    I don't do this, but I bet I can explain why someone else would. Spraying this way - under the shirt after putting it on - will get the scent on your skin AND on the inside of your shirt. That will usually increase longevity.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 26th August 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Different distances for different frags.
    For potent frags I spray further away (I try to get the cloud to spread all over the area I am spraying)
    For weaker frags I spray much closer (I try to get the spray to "puddle")

Don't use a laser-meter. I have found that the light from the laser can make the fragrance go bad

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe so but as long as it keeps under your shirt noone will ever smell it, or hardly will for that matter!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    OMG! Why didn't *I* think of that?!? I've been using a protractor for YEARS! I knew there had to be an easier way. Laser Meter FTW!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't do this, but I bet I can explain why someone else would. Spraying this way - under the shirt after putting it on - will get the scent on your skin AND on the inside of your shirt. That will usually increase longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Under the shirt as well. Just because I decide my SOTD after my OOTD.

Post Thanks / Like

approximately 4 inches away

I like 3-4 inches a way so there is a good bit of diffusion. I don't like having a "puddle"
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

Post Thanks / Like

This is first time I heard about Laser Meter LOL. I spray 5-6 inches away. Degrees? I don't really care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Yes, different distances for different fragrances.
    I agree. Sometimes I'll spray into the air and walk through it.

Post Thanks / Like

Do people really fear wearing a fragrance under their shirts? That's my default spot: spraying two or three shots onto my chest, probably about six inches away, before putting on my shirt in the morning. I haven't noticed any problems with projection from that, and it has the added bonus of some of the fragrance transferring to the fabric, which adds extra longevity. Plus the chest is a great heat radiator and keeps the scent from being directly in my nose and fatiguing it.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Do people really fear wearing a fragrance under their shirts? That's my default spot: spraying two or three shots onto my chest, probably about six inches away, before putting on my shirt in the morning. I haven't noticed any problems with projection from that, and it has the added bonus of some of the fragrance transferring to the fabric, which adds extra longevity. Plus the chest is a great heat radiator and keeps the scent from being directly in my nose and fatiguing it.
    Usually for me I spray very close on my neck to accurately hit the pulse points. I think I will try your method though which sounds great in theory you get the heat from the chest area without so much olfactory fatigue. I made that mistake recently with two sprays of play intense...damn near chocked myself out.

Post Thanks / Like

I always spray about 15cm from the skin. If it's a lighter scent I will spray two to the neck instead of the usual one.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

1 inch!!

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Do people really fear wearing a fragrance under their shirts? That's my default spot
    That's my default spot too. I spray 1 shot to the chest and 1 shot aimed upward toward my upper back, neck and even a bit of the back of my head. Then I immediately put my shirt on. That's just 2 shots total that tend to be more than enough for most scents to last me a day. If a scent wears too lightly, I'll spray a 3rd shot as a mist to walk through before putting my shirt on.

This method won't be enough for clubbing (which isn't my thing) nor will it be enough for a Cologne Guy (but that's not me either).

Post Thanks / Like

Prefer to spritz fairly close to the intended target, from a couple of inches away.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How does "walking through the mist" thing work? Once I spray it, I find it fades rather quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely stay away from too close. What happens is the molecules will layer and you'll end up mixing top/middle/basenotes at simultaneous intervals. If they're not necessarily harmonious all at once, the effect will be overwhelming. Far away will have even coverage, but less intensity. Find your own happy medium
    "Whiff Guy" Argent
    http://whiffguy.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by argentak View Post
    What happens is the molecules will layer and you'll end up mixing top/middle/basenotes at simultaneous intervals.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the fragrance, half-spray from a 2/3 inches away or full spray from 5 inches +

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm going to work I'll spray maybe 12" away for a subtle smell that won't overwhelm my coworkers. Otherwise I will spray my wrist about 1" away.

In middle school, I once read a ~200 page book about common misconceptions and wrote a report about it. I think there are more misconceptions in this thread than in that book. Did you guys know you will get drunker faster if you drink through a straw?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Extremaly strong fragrances I like to spray from far. IMO it develops and arrive faster on the stage I ilke most. Weak fragrances like Voyage D'Hermes I preffer to spray closer to skin.
    Last edited by Alvus; 31st August 2012 at 05:53 AM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What about longevity and projection? Is closer better? As it's more concentrated?