Code of Conduct

Default Need help narrowing a list of niche samples

The following are all on my To Try wish list. While I will eventually sample them all, I can do 7 of them now. What 7 would you suggest first (and maybe make note of 1-2 that CANNOT be missed and/or 1-2 that can be dumped even from my wish list). A quick bit on me if that helps: I'm new to all of this, so I'm still learning what I like and what I don't. I don't like scents that smell like room-filling candles. I like a scent that you can smell if I walk by, but not if you're in the next room. Here's the list:

Marrakech (Aesop)
    Mystra (Aesop)
    Amber Oud (By Kilian)
    1681 (Carthusia)
    Jardin du Poete (Eau d'Italie)
    Vetiver (Etro)
    Musc Ravageur (Frederic Malle)
    Om (Miller et Bertaux)
    Tea for Two (L'Artisan)
    02 Owari (Odin)
    07 Tanoke (Odin)
    Extract of Limes (Penhaligonís)
    Nightscape (Ulrich Lang)

Very interested to hear what you all have to say. Thanks!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Need help narrowing a list of niche samples

I would opt for these four:

Amber Oud (By Kilian)
    Om (Miller et Bertaux)
    Tea for Two (L'Artisan)

I haven't smelled many of them myself. The Aesops are in similar style (though they're different in smell), so if you're exploring new territories you can perhaps start with one. I recommend Mystra, a wonderful, ancient smelling resinous mix, reminiscent of old churches and temples. I am not a big fan of Musc Ravageur (a fleeting dirty musk followed by a nice, but not particularly exciting, spicy drydown - for musks, Musc Koublai Khan is dirty throughout), but it is so famous and talked about that you should probably include it.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post

Marrakech (Aesop)
    Mystra (Aesop)
    Amber Oud (By Kilian)
    1681 (Carthusia)
    Vetiver (Etro)
    Tea for Two (L'Artisan)
    ^^^these would be my first 7...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I haven't tried Om, Amber Oud nor Tanoke. Of the others, Nightscape is probably my fave, the best modern patch scent I know. I like Tea for Two, 1681 & Etro Vetiver. The Aesops are worth trying; Mystra in particular is quite unusual; Marrakech is more immediately appealing perhaps.

Extract of Limes from Penhaligon's is gorgeous! Do try it definitely (if not now, then don't forget to sample i later)

Etro Vetiver
    Musc Ravageur
    Tea for Two

Great!! Based on other posts I've read here, I expected Musc Ravageur and Tea for Two to be named a lot. I know nothing about Aesop, so it's nice to know that many of you like the house. Keep them coming...I'll probably place my order (through Aedes, if you're interested) on Monday.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Tea for Two has been discontinued, so I'd try that one fairly soon. If you like it, it'll be easier to find a bottle now rather than in the future.

^^Good to know. Thanks. I've already marked that as one of the seven.