Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anybody try the new Dior Leather Oud?

I am resisting a blind buy...................for now.

Default Re: Anybody try the new Dior Leather Oud?

I tried it and then five minutes later bought it, it is really good, it is soft but it has excellent longevity, the only bad thing that they are selling the huge 250 ml only.

They have the 125ml on the website - $150

Yes, but if you try to put it in your shopping cart a message saying that is not available will pop up.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    Yes, but if you try to put it in your shopping cart a message saying that is not available will pop up.
    false advertising!!!

it's our job as Americans to sue!!!

I have a bottle of it - 125 ml. Great oud - it fits me and oud wood itself even better than Royal Oud by KIlian!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Will this be available in regular perfume shops or will it be something hardly available to public?

Moon_fish you are absolutely right! it's way better than the By Kilian Oud, and about availabilty right now I think is at certain Dior boutiques, but maybe later is gonna get a wider distribution.

wow, Dior doing Oud?!! i wouldnt mind to buy it blind.

The smaller sizes are no longer listed on the website.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else smell this?

Hi all,

I just hosted a split of this here and have now acquired it. I love it! I bought it blind (never really wise i know) after learning about it here on the forum and somehow knew(well thought) this is what i was looking for. As background, I do have the Tom Ford Oud Wood and love it, but it is somewhat tame and wanted something with a little more bite for my collection. I have already tried several Montales, the ByKilian Oud, and also the Le Labo. I came close to pulling the trigger on the Kilian, but honestly think I was in love with the packaging more than the juice. It came closest to what i was looking for up to that point--somewhat softer, i.e. more western, interpretation of the oud.

Well the Dior hits it on the head exactly. It is soft, but not powdery. It is slightly chocolaty/gourmand, but not really sweet. The oud and leather are both definitely there, but they are combined so eloquently they appear as one note. You are never in danger of overpowering anyone with this fragrance, but it still has presence and sillage. In the end it just develops as a highly luxurious experience of the oud note. Also, not sure why, but find myself calling it my sexy body funk as it really morphs into a skin scent and retains your own natural smell with it -- I know kinda weird, but at least that's what I feel I am experiencing at the moment. If more comes to me, I'll be sure to post to fill others in.

Thanks to all of those that participated in the split quickly so I could afford this.

BTW, I have been a member for a while and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge shared by the members here. I don't post a lot, but I do read --and learn a lot from people that do a much better job at descriptions/experiences than I do. (but i'll try)

--Savory

This is an exciting release, Dior is one of the LMVH branches that still puts out good stuff. Here's hoping for a rebirth of leathers in the mainstream and some more publicity for oud.

I have to add that Francois Demachy (the perfumer of the LVMH who made this gem) confirmed that he used here pure oud oil from Indonesia and their own woody base (Santal Mysore, Amyris, Papyrus Absolute and Patchouli) to enforce oud impression.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I went to SAKS and they still don't have it I'm so stoked.

I got a sample of this at my local boutique and can attest to the fact that it's pretty great stuff; it's my favorite of the exclusive line, with Granville being second.

I haven't tried the latest line, but judging from their latest releases it seems that the Dior house
    is slowly but surely
    going to get ruined by the LVMH owner
    who seem to be piggy-backing on the tradition and brand as such.

Their latest scents smell generic, uninspired and synthetic paired with agressive advertising campaigns.

I am sure that the cologne is not worth the hefty price tag and...

I'm sure that there are better independent niche houses who use better quality ingredients for the same amount of money if not less.

Was part of Savory split. I have to agree that you are never in danger of overpowering anyone with this fragrance for I find it wears close to the skin feel it would be fine for the office or a close date.Overall I find it to be a enjoyable scent
    Want to run with the big dogs stop pooping like a puppy!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    wow, Dior doing Oud?!!
    They started with oud in Fahrenheit Absolute!

Hey ... it rhymes!

How does this Dior Compare to Oud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale, the other Leather/Oud frag?
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    They started with oud in Fahrenheit Absolute!

Hey ... it rhymes!
    Duc you are a poet! LOL!!!
    Happy Holidays!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joshmpdx View Post
    How does this Dior Compare to Oud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale, the other Leather/Oud frag?
    This Dior is French-like elegant and not overpowering
    Vetiver The Great!!!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by Savory View Post
    It is soft, but not powdery. It is slightly chocolaty/gourmand, but not really sweet. The oud and leather are both definitely there, but they are combined so eloquently they appear as one note.
    I'm intrigued

Basenotes Institution

I hope it is not like the oud in Fahrenheit Absolute, I personally thought that one was dreadful. IMO, the wrong oud can kill a good fragrance, which is why I sort of hate M7 too.

I like the dark chocolate aspect of certain ouds. Oudh Lacquer by Liz Zorn plays up this aspect up quite well. Mike, isn't the oud in M7 synthetic? I find the idea of synthetic oud rather pathetic. The beauty of oud is its depth and complexity, which is partially determined by its age. Can you imagine a synthetic single malt Scotch? Ludicrous!
    Designer scents, that are done on the cheap, can not possibly contain real oud. This new Dior may, as it has a hefty price tag attached to it.

Hopefully the Dior - Leather Oud is better than Le Labo - Oud 27. This scent reminds me of the smell of antique furniture baking in the sun for 100 years, which was then moved into a barn full of farm animals and seal for another 100 years.
    - Expect the unexpected

The Dior website says it contains gaiac wood, cedar, and sandalwood. Oud or agarwood is not mentioned in the ingredients. Maybe this is one of those cases in which the perfumer sought to create an olfactory illusion without using the genuine material.

http://www.dior.com/beauty/int/en/fr...py0907160.html

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    The Dior website says it contains gaiac wood, cedar, and sandalwood. Oud or agarwood is not mentioned in the ingredients. Maybe this is one of those cases in which the perfumer sought to create an olfactory illusion without using the genuine material.

http://www.dior.com/beauty/int/en/fr...py0907160.html
    I got my info about Indonesian oud oil directly from Francois Demachy, the perfumer of the line.
    Anyway - any description is only descriptor words
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Those who smelled this one and are familiar with the scent profile of real Indonesian oud oils, what are your thoughts on Leather Oud?

I bought a 50ml decant and simply love the stuff. Octavians review at 1000 Fragrances mirrors mine. The funny thing is I was wore this the other day. I had in on for about eight hours and a coworker was repulsed and said I smell like an old man and worse than Old Spice. Ouch, that hurt. Now that I know that I will wear it more often just to piss him off.

Just purchased blind from the Las Vegas Boutique an 8.5 ounce of Leather Oud along with an 8.5 ounce of:Cologne Royale, Granville, New Look 1947, Milly La Foret, Vetiver, and Mitzah. These to go along with the original four from the collection I purchased last year. The SA Anelia was so nice and I was informed that the Las Vegas Dior boutique is the only one currently in the US that carries them and only in the 8.5 ounce spray. Unfortunately, I would have preferred the smaller 125ml size but they are not coming out until later in 2011 and available in the other boutiques in the US. So I am really excited especially for the Leather Oud. It's a big purchase, but one I am sure I will be happy with.

Sur la Plage

I have Leather Oud and am really enjoying it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

A new unique oudh note and paired with an unlikely ally in leather? Points for originality for Dior even if you don't like the juice..
    -

Banned

Adding my love for this. Really, really delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I bought a 50ml decant and simply love the stuff. Octavians review at 1000 Fragrances mirrors mine. The funny thing is I was wore this the other day. I had in on for about eight hours and a coworker was repulsed and said I smell like an old man and worse than Old Spice. Ouch, that hurt. Now that I know that I will wear it more often just to piss him off.
    Hah, has he ever smelled Tribute?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I like the dark chocolate aspect of certain ouds. Oudh Lacquer by Liz Zorn plays up this aspect up quite well. Mike, isn't the oud in M7 synthetic? I find the idea of synthetic oud rather pathetic. The beauty of oud is its depth and complexity, which is partially determined by its age. Can you imagine a synthetic single malt Scotch? Ludicrous!
    Designer scents, that are done on the cheap, can not possibly contain real oud. This new Dior may, as it has a hefty price tag attached to it.
    I love Oudh Lacquer too, but this one doesn't play on any of the chocolate aspects, nor is it supposed to smell like the complex raw oil, but like burning oud.

In the same guide (the image above comes from) it also says:
    Christian Dior traveled the world in search of the finest fabrics. Like the Couturier, the Perfumer selects the finest ingredients. Oud Wood is one of them. Powerful, vibrant and deep, Oud wood is rare and distinctive by the leather scent that emanates when burnt. François Demachy was inspired by this unique wood when designing this intensely masculine fragrance, full of character, that blends leather notes with Gaiac wood, Cedar wood and Sandalwood.

It's very misleading this is named Oud Leather, while 99% of released Oud fragrances are based on the oil and not the burnt wood as this is. Let's get this news out and start a protest for Dior to change the name to Leather Burnt (Synthetic!) Oud!
    Last edited by teger; 8th January 2011 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Santa had his reindeer stolen

Can't wait to try it. This thread is really talking me into it.

Blog Entries

Dior? Bah, humbug!

How much was the big bottle in the Las Vegas boutique, might have to stop by check that one out.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Could anyone who is actually familiar with real oud oils, preferrably of the Borneo variety DLO is reported to have, chime in with their thoughts?

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this today, finally, from a decant I just from a BN buddy. I love it!

First of all, it smells like synthetic oud but not because it has a synthetic smell. Let me rephrase that: the scent has a great oud note, that smells very radiant and tenacious (like the Montale house note - just different) but when I smell it I don't think it smells natural. Which is not a problem for me, since I like it.

The leather is nice and fresh (not powdery, no isobutyl quinoline like smell) and it mixes perfectly with the aoud so that neither one is dominating the other. I had hoped that the Montales that I have owned / sampled would have been able to accomplish this (Aoud Leather and Oud Cuir d'Arabie) but they haven't. The Dior is much more complex than the AL and not quite as freakishly skanky as the OCdA.

It feels sophisticated, yes a bit focus-study group (I'm thinking this will be a big HIT with the Dubai jet-set crowd - just my hunch)...but definitely more of a niche scent than Dior Homme is.

My receptionist, who almost never talks about my fragrances, gave me a compliment today when I walked by her. She told me it smelled very 'me' (whatever that means). So, of course, that's always a nice touch.

I think this has all of the makings of a very big hit here on Basenotes. I look forward to hearing more comments, as more people have the opportunity to smell this.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

We have quite a few Dior Boutiques in Vegas at least 3 on the strip, which one did you buy the Leather Oud from Hednic?

Want to swing by there this week if I can.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

I'm visiting NYC in a couple of weeks. Where's a good place to sniff the new Diors? I'm very interested in Leather Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Those who smelled this one and are familiar with the scent profile of real Indonesian oud oils, what are your thoughts on Leather Oud?
    Wow I like this Dior Leather Oud quite a bit. I got a bottle two weeks ago but only had my first full wearing today and it is a very nice warm masculine oud leather. There is lots of warmth, deep leather and smoke surrounding the scent. There is also a slight bit of animal organic edge as well, but this aspect is very slight and only adds greatly to the authenticity of the leather scent.

To answer Igor01's question, this doesn't smell like any of the Indonesian Oud's I have tried but the oud portion smells quite a bit like Assam Black Oud from Oriscent. Smells more of Cambodian oud, possibly. The Indonesion ouds I've tried and I've tried many of them are mostly more ethereal and have more of a spiritual uplifting quality than this has. There is also that ripe rural horse barnyard edge to the oud note that is not common for Indonesion ouds but is present far in the distance in Dior Leather Oud. The oud here is so well blended into the leather that it doesn't smell like oud as much as a very ripe and rich leather scent. The closest other oud blended perfume to this one that I've had is probably Oud 27 from LeLabo but the Dior is much superior in almost every way. I can not say this is my favorite oud as I still enjoy Harrod's Ltd. Edition (Oud) the best, but this is quite a bit different in smell than the Harrod's. I think of this fragrance as more a leather fragrance than an oud fragrance, but the oud definitely adds a special depth that is noteworthy.

This one get's a thumbs up from me - very nice!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    ...The closest other oud blended perfume to this one that I've had is probably Oud 27 from LeLabo but the Dior is much superior in almost every way. I can not say this is my favorite oud as I still enjoy Harrod's Ltd. Edition (Oud) the best, but this is quite a bit different in smell than the Harrod's...
    I just thought the Le Labo was awful. Almost unwearable for me. But, there is a tiny whiff of the LL in the Dior - but it stops from going full-on skank and reels itself in.

And, well, the BN9 Harrods Oud is just magnificent - a totally different experience than the Dior. The BN9 is like a really good Amouage: opulent, rich, very dark. The Dior is much more modern, accessible and yet still manages to be a quality scent. I could easily see owning both (and hope to in the future).
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just thought the Le Labo was awful. Almost unwearable for me.
    You're right. Barnyards and old shellac.
    - Expect the unexpected

Wow I like this Dior Leather Oud quite a bit. I got a bottle two weeks ago but only had my first full wearing today and it is a very nice warm masculine oud leather. There is lots of warmth, deep leather and smoke surrounding the scent. There is also a slight bit of animal organic edge as well, but this aspect is very slight and only adds greatly to the authenticity of the leather scent.

To answer Igor01's question, this doesn't smell like any of the Indonesian Oud's I have tried but the oud portion smells quite a bit like Assam Black Oud from Oriscent. Smells more of Cambodian oud, possibly. The Indonesion ouds I've tried and I've tried many of them are mostly more ethereal and have more of a spiritual uplifting quality than this has. There is also that ripe rural horse barnyard edge to the oud note that is not common for Indonesion ouds but is present far in the distance in Dior Leather Oud. The oud here is so well blended into the leather that it doesn't smell like oud as much as a very ripe and rich leather scent. The closest other oud blended perfume to this one that I've had is probably Oud 27 from LeLabo but the Dior is much superior in almost every way. I can not say this is my favorite oud as I still enjoy Harrod's Ltd. Edition (Oud) the best, but this is quite a bit different in smell than the Harrod's. I think of this fragrance as more a leather fragrance than an oud fragrance, but the oud definitely adds a special depth that is noteworthy.

This one get's a thumbs up from me - very nice!
    Interesting! I was going to ask you what you were wearing when we met up earlier, but didn't get to it (BP and I met up for a swap earlier today). I'd pegged it as a Montale of some sort, so at least I was headed in the right direction. Besides the aoud, I was also getting some patchouli. Not so much leather, but we were standing outside in a chilly breeze, so it's not as if I got a nosefull of it. Struck me as an earthy, classy scent.

Glad to've found out what it was!

I was just about to ask how this compares to Bond's Ltd. Edition Oud. Thank you Mike and Buzzlepuff for clearing that up. Honestly, I have a hard time imagining an oud scent that tops the Bond. I don't even think Amouage will do it - not because they couldn't, but because the style of the Bond is much more direct and clear and immediate, and less grand and conceptual than the usual Amouage approach.

Would still like to sniff the Dior, but I just have a feeling that I'll be let down by any oud composition after experiencing Bond's.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Igor01 - I went back to check my samples of ouds and I must admit that I do not now smell the scent of Assam Black, or any other ouds, Indonesian or not in the Leather Oud fragrance like I mentioned earlier. I am not sure if I even smell oud at all right now in this one. There is a similarity to other oud masculines, including LeLabo Oud 27. I like the Dior more. The Oriscent ouds have much more character and development than most any blended perfume. I can not find a similar scent in my oud collection to compare to Leather Oud.

Buzzlepuff, not to drag this off topic, but do you smell the quality of real oud oils in Bond's Harrods Ltd. Edtn? I am still woefully under-experienced with real ouds.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

SoS, I don't know if my nose is sharp enough to pull out these ingredients. Bond No.9 Harrods Ltd. Edition Oud does smell more like an Indonesian oud oil, but I don't think there is aged oud oil as an ingredient. I doubt they could afford that even at their prices. I may just be cynical, but I think Bond gets the oud scent by blending of oud friendly ingredients (cumin, myrrh, amber, leather, vetiver etc) and well placed doses of the latest synthetic oud aroma chemicals. It is a very nice blend, but I don't really smell a pure oud in the Bond fragrance. There is definitely that hollow deep wood scent that I associate with oud, but it is different from Indonesian oud oils.

Teger makes a good point, a few posts earlier, that in the creation of Leather Oud there was an attempt to duplicate the scent of burning agarwood incense. I do smell a burnt wood dryness in Leather Oud that really doesn't smell like oud oil but does smell like burning wood - smells very good.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 21st January 2011 at 06:10 PM.

I just tried it on paper. It is super expensive here. The Bois de Jasmin site had a review that noted that it seems to have a bit of the sandalwood/amber accord of Dior's Dune. I happen to have a mini of Dune, so I tried layering Dune with LeLabo Oud 27 (which I also like by itself). Yes, the layering effect was very interesting, and a bit like the actual Leather Oud.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Rest easy, folks, the oud note here is nowhere near as synthetic as the one in M7 or Fahrenheit Absolute. I'm not all that familiar with natural ouds but Dior's rendition starts off bitter and slightly medicinal, with nuances of dry resins, barnyardlike 'animalics' and smoky woods as it progresses. Very masculine & ultra-sophisticated. Definitely not an easy fragrance for the average Joe to appreciate so be prepared for some 'negative comments' while you're rocking it...

After the disappointing Mitzah, Leather Oud is certainly much more promising!
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 4th February 2011 at 04:04 PM.

pretty good stuff , smell like burn and sweet oud in a good way.

good for Dior!!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I just gave this a sample last night, and to be quite honest, I got a big blast of horse poop when smelled up close. Wondering if it was just me, I dug around, and sure enough:

There is also that ripe rural horse barnyard edge to the oud note that is not common for Indonesion ouds but is present far in the distance in Dior Leather Oud.
    There it is. I've read reviews where a "fecal" note is mentioned, but this is the first time I've experienced it myself. As I've learned, it's unwise to judge a scent from up close, and I must say that what I got from a distance was a nice, smokey wood. Up close, though, it is off-putting for at least the first hour. Too frightening for me...at this point, anyway.

I didn't know what to expect. Only oud I had experienced was Fahrenheit Oud and Bond Signature Oud... both of which were just widely not something I can't say that I liked nor disliked. Signature Oud seems downright perfume-y, but wears well on me for some reason. And Fahrenheit Absolute... maaan, I couldn't get rid of that fast enough.

Dior Leather Oud... it's equal parts Knize Ten and something else... and for me, it just works. It's not powdery, it's not extra strong, it's wholly masculine and honestly? It's quite nice. Smooth, nice smelling... and something that a notorious leather hater like myself likes - okay, okay, Tuscan Leather is a favorite, but it never really develops into anything.

I'm surprised. I truly like this one. Have gotten compliments whilst wearing it.

Smoky, yet clean, woodsy... leather. And refined.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    I just gave this a sample last night, and to be quite honest, I got a big blast of horse poop when smelled up close. Wondering if it was just me, I dug around, and sure enough:

There it is. I've read reviews where a "fecal" note is mentioned, but this is the first time I've experienced it myself. As I've learned, it's unwise to judge a scent from up close, and I must say that what I got from a distance was a nice, smokey wood. Up close, though, it is off-putting for at least the first hour. Too frightening for me...at this point, anyway.
    Now you know what oud smells like. Well, certain oud notes...I should say.

It's an acquired taste. I had the same reaction as you the first time I smelled it. But give it some time. It might grow on you. Animalic notes are always challenging, but they're also extremely complex and rewarding, once you 'get' them.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

This one brings to mind a dirty ashtray in a horse stable, and I mean that as a compliment.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th April 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Anyone know anyone who stocks this in London? I haven't seen it anywhere yet...

Still looking for this Stuff.

The person at the Dior counter in Debenhams in Bromley insisted (very firmly and fixed me with a dirty look) that there was no such scent...!

Basenotes Institution

I am pretty sure that this fragrance will not be sold at Dior counters in department stores. Which is probably why that Sales Associate knew nothing about it.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I bought a decant in a split here at Marketplace.

I expect not to find a smell of feces, cause i dont like this smell.