Code of Conduct

Thread: Cafe Rose

Dependent

Default Cafe Rose

im seeing them on ebay and thinking of bying a small bottle to try it out have any of you guys tried it what are your thoughts

Default Re: Cafe Rose

It seems to be the one getting the most talk of the new 4 (though it could be due to it being the only one with a remotely interesting sounding name). I know rose is having its renaissance moment right now but to be honest I'm kinda getting sick of the onslaught of rose frags lately. I'd love to sample it but right now they're like 14 bucks for 1.5ml on ebay, too much for a fragrance I likely won't really care for.

Smelled Cafe Rose when I was in NYC for Elements.. I REALLY like it. Granted, I am a Fordie, but it's definitely worth a test.
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

I get mainly rose and amber from it, with a hint of black pepper and some coffee i the mid... Best of the bunch from the new four released...

Only smelled on paper, but it's quite pleasant. Less harsh than most rose-ouds, but perhaps rather less distinctive than some.

Coffee and rose. Sounds good!
    Last edited by Alvus; 29th August 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Updated.

Dependent

idk it kind of seems like people arent impressed with tom fords new releases

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    idk it kind of seems like people arent impressed with tom fords new releases
    The more I smell CR, the more I do like it, it does veer off from Rose Oud from Kilian. It has more of a resinous undertone where RO is more floral underneath the initial rose note. Unfortunately, there really is very little coffee to speak of, and in that respect, it's a disappointment to me. The other three are interesting, I'm just kind of tired of TF putting out the fresh/citrus/floral/light wood scents for the PB line that he's done for the last two years. Starting with Azure Lime, then Santal Blush/Jasmin Rouge, Lavender Palm, now these four, some of them are nice, but they lack the complexity and brash unique features that the original 12 PB's had. That's what I'm looking for out of his line, and it's been sparse of late.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    The more I smell CR, the more I do like it, it does veer off from Rose Oud from Kilian. It has more of a resinous undertone where RO is more floral underneath the initial rose note. Unfortunately, there really is very little coffee to speak of, and in that respect, it's a disappointment to me. The other three are interesting, I'm just kind of tired of TF putting out the fresh/citrus/floral/light wood scents for the PB line that he's done for the last two years. Starting with Azure Lime, then Santal Blush/Jasmin Rouge, Lavender Palm, now these four, some of them are nice, but they lack the complexity and brash unique features that the original 12 PB's had. That's what I'm looking for out of his line, and it's been sparse of late.

would you say tom ford has become overrated?

As most of you mentioned, Café Rose is the best of the four new fragrances from Tom Ford. I enjoyed it enough to purchase one today at Neiman Marcus. I also ran into another Basenotes member at the Creed counter. Small world.
    Last edited by Flaconneur; 30th August 2012 at 02:44 AM.
    - Expect the unexpected

Honestly between this and Bond No. 9's NY Oud, Bond wins hands down.
    So does Kilian for that matter. I'm just not very impressed by Cafe Rose.

"but they lack the complexity and brash unique features that the original 12 PB's had"

+10000

TF needs to give us another masterpiece like Amber Absolute or Japon Noir.
    Although I must confess I do like Lavendar Palm a lot, despite it's simplicity.

I wore this one today, and found it even more redolent of the Kilian, but it also has a considerable patch note in the drydown that makes me think of Malle's Une Rose. Less dense and complex than either, though. Like those, however, it is very durable; it seems to be the strongest of the four.

I think it's really the least interesting of the bunch, though, now that I've worn all four on skin.

Dependent

sounds like it sucks for its price

Blog Entries

I'm still interested in it, but I'm maintaining a certain skepticism - especially on the Café part. If it's mostly a rose oud thing - well, there are a lot of respectable efforts crowding the market already. Not. That. Interested. If I were to spend more on that, it might be Rose d'Arabie.

I didnt think much of it.

Basenotes Plus

Finally had a chance to test yesterday. It was pleasant enough, but nothing that would lead me to a purchase. If I were to go with another rose-centric fragrance, I would probably go with Ramon Monegal L’Eau de Rose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Finally had a chance to test yesterday. It was pleasant enough, but nothing that would lead me to a purchase. If I were to go with another rose-centric fragrance, I would probably go with Ramon Monegal L’Eau de Rose.
    Oh yeah! Now THERE'S an interesting rose.

It's interesting to read the rose oud comparisons; I smelled it on Saturday (only on a strip, admittedly) and didn't place it as an oud at all. Will need to smell again.

Received a sample of this in the mail yesterday. All I have to say is the rose (and rose/oud) trend has become so cumbersome. It's almost embarrassing seeing Tom Ford, Heeley, etc arrive so late to the game with their mediocre offerings of this very played out trend. Very letdown with Cafe Rose, nowhere near the quality they set forth with their earlier releases. And Agarwoud is the biggest trainwreck of 2012 thus far. Tried wearing it on 3 occasions and each time I end up scrubbing that vile stuff off within an hour. If the niche houses are good at anything it's beating a dead horse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    Received a sample of this in the mail yesterday. All I have to say is the rose (and rose/oud) trend has become so cumbersome. It's almost embarrassing seeing Tom Ford, Heeley, etc arrive so late to the game with their mediocre offerings of this very played out trend. Very letdown with Cafe Rose, nowhere near the quality they set forth with their earlier releases. And Agarwoud is the biggest trainwreck of 2012 thus far. Tried wearing it on 3 occasions and each time I end up scrubbing that vile stuff off within an hour. If the niche houses are good at anything it's beating a dead horse.
    I hear you. The thing about rose/oud is that TF used it so well and so early (well, I mean in the latest trend) with Noir de Noir. Why not be out there with the next thing? I personally like the Agarwood trend (even if a train wreck, perhaps an interesting one! ), but it wouldn't have to be that. Just - something other than Rose/Oud. Personally, I think this would have been a great one to get Muglerian on with the coffee - heck - that would be pretty interesting in a Tom Ford - you know?

We'll see. My "zero mark" is going to be the new CK Encounter. It's fairly decent stuff for a fall designer release. People who want to charge big bucks for alleged specialness need to be overshooting that one in a big way. If they're not - then it's got zero chance of getting in my shopping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I didnt think much of it.
    Same here. Sampled it at Bloomies.

Wow, I honestly didn't even know Noir de Noir listed oud as a note til I checked just now. That's another thing, these synthetic ouds are becoming so light and transparent that sometimes it seems thrown into the official notes list just for extra measure. Either that or I'm anosmic to whatever oud chemical they're using in that one. Noir de Noir is amazing regardless.

Tried Tom Ford's Cafe Rose today and I thought it smelled like Montale's Black Aoud... anyone else agrees ?

sampled it last week at NM, smells like tootsie roll + rose.

Dependent

If i love NdN, what are the chances of me loving CR as well? Im asking as its impossible for me to sample it as my local stores dont carry TF. i blind bought a decant of NdN after reading the reviews and I fell in love instantly. Now im thinking if its better to spend the amount of money on another NdN sometime later or get CF? Any suggestions please
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    If i love NdN, what are the chances of me loving CR as well? Im asking as its impossible for me to sample it as my local stores dont carry TF. i blind bought a decant of NdN after reading the reviews and I fell in love instantly. Now im thinking if its better to spend the amount of money on another NdN sometime later or get CF? Any suggestions please
    I was facing the same dilemma as you & I purchased CF @ retail. Kinda regret it, just a bit, but I'm warming up to it.
    Unlike what uve heard up above I'll tell u that this shudve been called Noir Pepper Rose. There is coffee in this (black coffee grounds), but not enough to claim status as a headliner. The Rose in this is not of the NdN jammy sort, it is more of the soapy Rose (Amouage Lyric man/Kilian in the City of Sin) type. It dries down to a soapy rose scent. I think it to be a haunting/creepy/weird concoction (perfect for halloween), & it's been getting rave reviews when I wear it. I think I'd love it more if black pepper wasn't one of my least favorite notes ever. It's very versatile too, not as sexualized as NdN. I tend to wear CF in the daytime & NdN @ night. I can wear this at night, but I could never wear NdN in the daytime.
    IMO if U can get in on a split or buy this discounted, then do so for more variety in your wardrobe. It's similar to NdN but not so much AS to make owning it a redundant exercise. It is a very good fragrance, not great or the masterpiece that NdN is. U'll enjoy it if U dont hv to pay an arm & a leg. Cheers!
    Last edited by LupeX; 9th October 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Cafe Rose smells like a vintage rose. Sandalwood, patchouli, medium tone roses - but I can't smell the coffee. I also smell a suede softness to this rose scent. A suede rose! This is a better all purpose rose than Noir de Noir, imo.

I like this a lot. By far the best of the 4 new TF releases. There are a lot of rose fragrances out there, but this one is well done, and unlike any of the others I have tried.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

This is the only one from the new Tom Ford line that I have sampled. I find it to be ok but definitely not worth the price.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

It's the best of the 4 new Jardin PB's, but it's not even in the same league as the original heavy hitters like Tobacco Vanille, Moss Breches, Amber Absolute, and Tuscan Leather.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I have not tried any of the Jardin Noir frags yet, but from what I hear, they're pretty much underwhelming.

Here is the consensus of the reactions I've been reading:
    - Cafe Rose is okay, but an inferior version of Kilian Rose Oud. Also, barely any coffee in it. Mainly just rose + oud.
    - Lys Fume is the best out of the four.
    - The other two were disappointing.
    - Overall, pretty weak lineup.

Hopefully I have a different reaction once I sample them.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    This is the only one from the new Tom Ford line that I have sampled. I find it to be ok but definitely not worth the price.
    Snap.

I got a 10 ml sample today, and I couldn't smell any coffee , and find it too feminine, my daughter and female friend both have said its very feminine too, they both want to take it off my hands. They both have 5mls each now lol

So disappointed as well as it sounded great and had been looking so forward to it, I love coffee.
    Last edited by kakarot; 10th October 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
    I got a 10 ml sample today, and I couldn't smell any coffee , and find it too feminine, my daughter and female friend both have said its very feminine too, they both want to take it off my hands. They both have 5mls each now lol

So disappointed as well as it sounded great and had been looking so forward to it, I love coffee.

yea i ended up getting it what crap
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I've tested this a few times. On my skin there's a lot of chocolate/coffee actually. Overall I find it's just ok, decent projection for 2-3 hours and then pretty much a skin scent for the next 5-8 hours after that. I'd consider 10ml to wear it occasionally but at those prices, no way. Give me NdN, or Rose Oud, or a million others, any other day.

The new series, and IMO even the newer TFPB releases are nowhere near what the originals were.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I like this one a lot. I think it's far and away the best of the new PBs. I'll go as far as to say I think it's among the best of the whole PB lineup. My nose picks up a lot of rose (of course), but also a lot of incense and patchouli. Like many others, I don't get the coffee note. (In fairness, I often fail to detect supposed coffee notes.)

I agree with M-C that it's reminiscent of Rose Oud. I like both very much, but I just might like Cafe Rose better. (It's a very close call, though.)
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I am testing out some samples of Cafe Rose. So far, for me it's one of those many in between fragrances. I don't have too many good or bad things to say about it. All I do know is I have so many things on my buy list, that this one wouldn't even enter the discussion for a long long time. Choose wisely my friends.