Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Backing out of split deals

If you claim a spot in a split and are not able to pay within several day as required by the splitter, please give all those involved the courtesy of a timely statement to that effect. If you fail to pay without notice, you may not be permitted to participate in splits in the future. Anyone committing to the last spot in a split and then backing out may not be permitted to participate in any other splits.

Default Re: Backing out of split deals

Banned from all future splits after backing out of a completed Pure White Cologne split when I'd already received 4 sets of funds:

al-mueen

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Any person who is so irresponsible as to back out from a split in an untimely fashion, should be banned from all future splits on Basenotes.

Basenotes Plus

horacio08 Never even took the effort to respond to payment requests. Banned from any splits of mine in the future. Splitters beware.

What about the seller backing out ?
    DULLAH hasn't responded and his thread has been locked.

Moderator Stuigi - your mailbox is full.

Basenotes Plus

I am still trying to communicate with Dullah. I am also posting an addition to the split rules.

Any luck getting hold of Dullah?

Basenotes Plus

Still none

dalvarez11 is a new member and the last person in my split, but he/she hasn't responded to multiple PMs and messages I've left on his/her page =(

I had exactly the same experience recently with dalvarez11 messing up two splits of mine.
    Last edited by Kron; 20th December 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Those who back out at the last moment, should be banned from future splits. When you note that you will take part in a split, that should be regarded as a firm commitment.

What about adding the ability to leave negative feedback for people that violated these rules so that people hosting splits can read a person's feedback and know whether they are taking a risk in allowing them to participate?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Very irresponsible to back out of a split once you have committed yourself. There should be a list of such people on BN, that way you have an idea as to those persons who you should no conduct business with.

Basenotes Plus

I have no problem with that. You should be able to do so.

Basenotes Plus

Brian, I have been able to leave negative feedback for people who have not responded to payment requests.

In regards to pulling out of a split once committed, as long as it has not been filled, I really do not have a problem with this, especially since some may take a while to fill. Once filled, then it is an issue.

Oh absolutely. If the split hasn't been filled, it's fine for people to back out. It's once other people have sent money that it becomes a problem.

Basenotes Plus

Agree.

Fortunately it hasn't happened to me to often, but one time is one too many, and I will leave negative feedback for anyone who looks to see.

Basenotes Plus

DavidBee456 backed out of split after payment request had been sent. This person will not be allowed to participate in any future splits I offer.

USAFammo9 asked to pay later when I had collected from all of the other splitters. Then never replied to multiple emails.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

tarugu has failed to respond to requests for payment, thus holding up a split after everyone else has paid.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Johnsteed has gone silent after I started collecting for a split he signed up for.
    Last edited by mikesc; 22nd February 2014 at 09:16 PM.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Just a suggestion .

Folks with history of backing out from splits can only be added to new splits with upfront payment as a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by fhayat View Post
    Just a suggestion .

Folks with history of backing out from splits can only be added to new splits with upfront payment as a guarantee.
    While it's up to each splitter, I was thinking the same thing. They can join my splits if payment is up front.

Adding Poppyzulo to the banned list for vanishing on split. He actually was on another split and claimed to have paypal issues when the time came to pay. I let it go since I had another buyer to take his place. This time he's just not responding at all.

Cell signed for my Portrait of a Lady split and has gone silent for a long time.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Alia24 has not responded to numerous payment requests, even went as far as to not allow Private Messaging after the first payment request had been sent.

Please do not allow this person to participate in any splits.

esguerra and twistywizard failed to respond to fund requests for a recently completed split ruining it for the other guys.

Steven214 backed out of my Aventus split once i started collecting payments.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pieshi signed up for a Tuscan leather split and vanished once it came time to collect.

Also Rare Scents joined 2 splits and bailed without informing me.
    Last edited by mikesc; 14th July 2014 at 05:27 AM.

USAFammo9 & OmarbarTx vanished when it came time to collect. This is the 2nd time USAFammo9 has done this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    USAFammo9 & OmarbarTx vanished when it came time to collect. This is the 2nd time USAFammo9 has done this.
    Just as a note, USAFammo9 has a sale thread right now in the Market Place.

Basenotes Plus

Everyone has the right to exclude members from a split.

This isn't a question that reflects any situation Im currently facing, just asking for future reference:

If I sign up for a split that isn't full....and a few weeks pass without anyone else signing up, is it okay to then inform the splitter that I would like to withdraw due to lack of interest on the split. What's the board's view on this?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tester View Post
    This isn't a question that reflects any situation Im currently facing, just asking for future reference:

If I sign up for a split that isn't full....and a few weeks pass without anyone else signing up, is it okay to then inform the splitter that I would like to withdraw due to lack of interest on the split. What's the board's view on this?
    As a splitter, I have no problem with this.

The problem arises when a split is full and requests for payment get ignored. It is not not fair to the splitter who puts quite a bit of work into making these things happen as well as being unfair to the other basenotes members who are participating and have paid for their portions.

Basenotes Plus

Hainss claimed three split spots on The House of Matriarch Blackbird (that's 50% of the bottle), with original bottle and box, and then when the split closed and payment notifications were sent out - did not respond to them. After three notifications he finally responded that "the night before" (that is WELL after the split already closed) his girlfriend gave him some other fragrance and he was flat out not going to pay for the Blackbird split.

All other split participants already sent payments in. This was not looking good and had the potential of really messing up a split, but another BN member jumped in and took the 30ml split and bottle (thank you!).

Hainss is banned from participating in any and all future splits.

Basenotes Plus

It is advised that all splitters check this thread frequently.

Thanks for these updates!
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

I would like to participate in a split but I don't have or use PayPal. Are there other ways for payments?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dslteck View Post
    I would like to participate in a split but I don't have or use PayPal. Are there other ways for payments?
    Sending cash in the mail is probably not a smart option. Why not just sign up for a PayPal account? It only takes couple minutes to create an account and link your credit card to it to make payments...

If you don't want to do that, ask the splitter if they accept other payment options. I personally have not had anyone ask me before, but I suppose if you can mail a certified check or money order, that would be OK too. If you go this route, make sure to mail it ASAP, so that it reaches the splitter within 2-3 days and doesn't delay the split for everyone else for several days unnecessarily.

Basenotes Plus

You can also link Paypal to a bank account. So if you have cash, you likely have it in a bank of some sort, which can be used for purchases.

Thank you for the replies!
    I have heard horror stories about PayPal and that's why I'm reluctant to utilize it. Might just have to bite the bullet and try it because I would love to take advantage of an aventus split....

Basenotes Plus

PayPal has frustrations to it, no doubt, especially around verification during set up. But, the ability to transact once everything is in place far outweighs the shortfalls. It's my go-to payment method.

Basenotes Member

If anything... PayPal is usually more favorable to the buyer. Sellers eat the fees associated with using the service, even more so when paired with eBay.

PayPal is great, just be sure you're comfortable with the different payment methods such as paying for a service vs gifting to friends and family. I think I've seen the details around this sub recently. Basically if you send as friends and family paypal won't be able to do anything if you file a complaint for not receiving a product or other disputes.

Do Not send friends and family unless you trust the source completely.. I was just Scammed by a member who had positive feedback as both a buyer and seller. They had also been a member here since 2011. Fortunately it was only $40 but its the point. I will only f/f with 2 people on this board from here out, it's just not worth saving the small amount of money.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way who else was Scammed by SPCMILLER ? Just wondering if I was the only dummy who sent money to him F/F.

Basenotes Plus

I agree - I don't feel comfortable when the option isn't there to not use f/f. There are folks who are on FB who say they only accept f/f - that's a red flag to me.

Another option would be USPS money order. It's slow, and it takes extra time, but at least there's a level of security as you need identification to cash it and only costs something like $0.85 for the buyer to get one.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Another option would be USPS money order. It's slow, and it takes extra time, but at least there's a level of security as you need identification to cash it and only costs something like $0.85 for the buyer to get one.
    This is the way I have purchased peer to peer in the past on other forums without incident. I guess it would be between myself and the other party as to not they would accept this forum of payment. I'm just not sold on the whole PayPal thing yet. I suppose I need to research this further.
    Sorry to muck up this thread with this off-topic banter....

Blog Entries

It is true that the recipient of a US Postal money order must produce ID to cash it. But all this guarantees is that the correct person receives the money.

It is also true that if the US Postal money order is stolen or lost in the mail, the post office will replace it (see: https://www.usps.com/shop/replacing-money-orders.htm)

However, the buyer will have no recourse if the seller cashes the money order but doesn't send the buyer anything. So only send money orders to people you really trust!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    It is true that the recipient of a US Postal money order must produce ID to cash it. But all this guarantees is that the correct person receives the money.

It is also true that if the US Postal money order is stolen or lost in the mail, the post office will replace it (see: https://www.usps.com/shop/replacing-money-orders.htm)

However, the buyer will have no recourse if the seller cashes the money order but doesn't send the buyer anything. So only send money orders to people you really trust!
    Entirely true, it's just for someone who does not want to send things electronically, it's either that or mail a check, which amount to the same level of privacy either way. Without electronic payment, it's virtually impossible for anyone to have any recourse whatsoever.

To the OP's (of this topic) question about Paypal's validity and what not, it's legitimate. They're annoying at times, but they aren't scam artists, your information is safe, and you won't lose any money or your identity as a result of it. It's certainly as safe, if not more so, than using a debit/credit card in a brick and mortar store. If you're going to be buying on here and elsewhere, it's not a bad idea to open an account. You don't have to place any money in it, just link it to your bank/debit card/credit card and you'll be all set.
    Splits!

Basenotes Plus

Member Tagazeu bailed out on Chanel 28 La Pausa split, after it closed. Sent one PM demanding (yes, DEMANDING) that his single spot on the split come with the original bottle and box, otherwise he would not pay for it. This is after we exchanged a few PMs *before* the split closed with explanation how splits work, and that he'd get the bottle only if he took 50%+ (i.e.: 2+ spots) of the split - which he acknowledged and indicated he'd stick to a single spot on the split. After the split closed, and the single PM message demanding the original bottle and box, he ignored all payment requests and all other PMs. No response.

Tagazeu is effectively banned from participating in any future splits.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Member Tagazeu bailed out on Chanel 28 La Pausa split, after it closed. Sent one PM demanding (yes, DEMANDING) that his single spot on the split come with the original bottle and box, otherwise he would not pay for it. This is after we exchanged a few PMs *before* the split closed with explanation how splits work, and that he'd get the bottle only if he took 50%+ (i.e.: 2+ spots) of the split - which he acknowledged and indicated he'd stick to a single spot on the split. After the split closed, and the single PM message demanding the original bottle and box, he ignored all payment requests and all other PMs. No response.

Tagazeu is effectively banned from participating in any future splits.
    So another words he knew you needed him to close the split & didn't think he was expendable so he figured he could blackmail you for bottle & box? Sorry tagazeu, you are the weakest link.. goodbye! lol