Code of Conduct

Default Cheaper jasmine EO - where to find it?

Hi,
    I am looking for pure jasmine EO for acceptable price - I need it for soaps, so it does not have to be top quality, but I don't want synthetic fragrance oil. I founded some indian sites which offer jasmine EO obtained by hydro-distillation, but I am not sure if they are real - I have at home 3 jasmines, one is absolute (real), the next 2 are "EO" from indian sites and they smell absolutely diferrent (and the price was much more cheaper). Has someone experience wih jasmine EO (not absolute)? Is jasmine EO cheaper than jasmine absolute? Is the scent same, similar or different? And where to find some trusted seller with good prices and international shipping (I am from Slovakia)? Thank you for any advice.

Iva

Default Re: Cheaper jasmine EO - where to find it?

There is no such animal as Jasmin Essential Oil. If you have bought some, you have bought a base. Why do you want to use real Jasmin is soap; it will be wasted there.

Blog Entries

Hi,

I used to make soap, and got all my stuff from this place. I think they ship to your location.

http://www.justasoap.co.uk/catalog/index.php

They have everything you'd need, including EO's

Scent-imental - thank you for link, I have all these basic materials at home... I was only interested for some more exotic scents, jasmine is strong scent so I think it could be used in some nice, luxury soap. I don't know, maybe jasmine concrete would be better?

Just a thought, there may be a Jasmine attar to be found. That would be Jasmine in sandalwood oil. That may suit soaps better.

I don't recall ever seeing Jasmin concrete for sale, but it must exist. Certainly better for use in soap. Both the Concrete and Absolute will discolour in soap, but if you don't mind that, that's fine. My question as to why you want to use Jasmin Abs. is to do with the fact that it is so very expensive, and there are some good Jasmin bases around which would do just as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jasmine-Abso...item1c227cfa93

I trust this seller. Never had problems (including quality). He has Jasmine Sambac absolute too.
    No problemds with shipping (registered mail), you'll have to sign for receipt.

There's no jasmine EO, just like there's no mimosa EO, tuberose EO, lilac EO, etc. Why not use jasmine abs if you want something natural?

bublanina, I use floral waxes for soap (from melted soap base)
    http://www.naturesgift.com/floral_waxes.htm
    imo waxes keep smell in it better than floral EO and absolutes.

Wow, thank you all for valuable advices.
    David - the reason why I want natural jasmine is only my feeling, I have better experiences with natural EO's... I found jasmine concrete here : http://www.libertynatural.com/index.html - there are 3 different types of jasmine concrete and many other, it looks good....
    iggy - the ebay seller looks great, but not too great? Is it possible to sell pure neroli for 5,70$ / 10 ml?
    Masha, thank you very much, this waxes look to be directly what I need!

I didn't order neroli from him, but: everything he sent to me was ok (geranium, rosemary, ylang etc.)

It's true that Jasmine cannot be extracted by steam distillation, but many people call the absolute "essential oil" anyway, since it's pretty much pourable. So it's not obvious that if a reseller calls it EO then it is rubbish, maybe it's just a problem of proper naming.
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

There is a lot of good advice in this thread already, but I do just need to issue a correction: although it is very unusual, it is possible to buy a genuine essential oil of jasmine - I have some - however so far as I know only one company sells it (at least in the UK) and then only by the kilo. The essential oil is quite similar to the absolute (very dark yellow/orange colour, thick but mobile liquid). It isn't identical though being slightly less thick and of slightly different composition.

Normally jasmine is extracted using hydrocarbon solvents such as hexane and the resulting concrete is then extracted with ethanol and the ethanol removed by evaporation to produce the absolute.

There are also real essential oils of vanilla and apple now on the market. The company selling all of these presented them to us at the British Society of Perfumers in May this year and I think the materials were new to many of us at that time (certainly to me), so it isn't surprising that many experienced perfumers won't know about them, but I assure you that they do exist.

What is also true however is that people offering small quantities of these things labeled as essential oil are in almost all cases either offering a mis-labeled absolute or a fragrance oil (i.e. a blend of aroma-chemicals in an oil base). The former may be an honest mistake, the latter is more likely to be fraud.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Chris, what is the name of the company that offers these essential oils? I did not go to this year's BSP one day symposium.

The company is Omega Ingredients. Steve Pearce did a great presentation of some fascinating products - at the time I was very impressed. I have to say though that my experience since then has been that the company is difficult to do business with, so not an unalloyed recommendation.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Chris, I could tell you what I think about Omega, but I would probably be sued!

This is interesting Chris, are they stating that the EOs they offer, even jasmine, are produced only by steam distillation?
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

I believe they stock both the absolute and essential oil of jasmine.

As I remember the apple essential oil is produced from the waste press-cake that remains when apples are pressed for their juice, particularly for cider making.
    Chris Bartlett

Chris, thank you very much, this apple oil is surprising - it looks expensive, do you know price? I ordered some floral waxes, they are cheaper than absolutes and can be good choice for me.

Floral waxes are a great choice for solid perfume or for soap-making. The are not much use for ethanol based fragrances though as they are the elements of the concrete that don't dissolve in ethanol.

The apple oil is very surprising and also quite powerful. It needs to be though as it's chemistry means that it is heavily restricted in perfumes by IFRA.

Price, well that's a good question indeed. Prices were given freely at the BSP symposium but I didn't actually go on to buy a kilo of apple oil and the prices of the things I did buy (or attempt to buy) turned out to bear no resemblance to what was quoted on that occasion (an order of magnitude difference) so it's hard to know what to make of them. Suffice to say it isn't going to be cheap around £3k per kilo (or an order of magnitude more, who knows?).
    Chris Bartlett

I don't want to say too much, but please be very careful when dealing with Omega.