Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default the most you would pay for a 100ml fragrance

Let's say its a niche fragrance that not a lot of people are wearing, it's a 10 out of 10, one of your favorite scents of all time, it's wearable and versatile and could even be one of your signature scents. What is the maximum you would pay for it.

Me? Usually I like my fragrances $100 or lower, it would have to be really special to reach the price of more than $100. But $250 is my maximum.

Default Re: the most you would pay for a 100ml fragrance

Pay any price, climb any mountain !

Or....not.

I suspect it gets down to a person's impulse of the moment, and available cash.

I mean, there's always splits, if you're just in it for the juice.

I'm not sure if I have a maximum - but £200 would be pushing it. Which I don't think is that expensive for 100ml but still.
    My most recent Aftelier purchase was very close to my maximum - considering you only get 30ml of juice - worth it though, the juice is out of this world.

I think I wouldn't pay more than 150 - 175 € for a 100ml bottle of perfume.

The most I have actually paid so far is for Parfumerie Generale edt £117.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    The most I have actually paid so far is for Parfumerie Generale edt £117.
    Isn't it so annoying over overpriced PG is in the UK
    I pay retail price when I visit Les Senteurs and the like, but compared to the USD and even the Euro conversion, we pay a hellofa lot more for them.

Which PG did you feel 100ml FBW then?

I don't think I would buy 100 ml of anything anymore. My preference would be 30 ml or less. I think the last 100 ml bottle I bought was Derby, and I had a discount on that so it was around $150.

Good question.
    I don't know.

I guess it's $1,500.
    Diaghilev should have a more prominent oak moss fry down for that price.

for swap/sale:

Look up the price of 100ml of interlude man from amouage. Or a 12ML tribute attar from amouage. $2K for 3ML Ensaroud, Oud Sultani now, and I guarentee in two years it will resale for at least twice that! It comes down to what you think is worth it.

Paul
    Last edited by str8shooter; 27th August 2012 at 07:27 PM.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

The most I have paid is £165 for a fragrance and I would not go over £200 and would seek a split of the juice at a cheaper price if I had to have it.

If it's something I feel I have to have in my collection, cost is no concern to me.

Never thought about it but, councidentally, I've still have to find a fragrance that is worthy an extremely challenging price tag (meaning 1000+)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

I really don't have a ceiling, except for my sensibilities and finances. I would rather spend $300.00-$350.00 on one bottle of something that I found to be a 10/10 (by your rating system) versus purchase 3 bottles of something for less than $100.00 that I do not find to be that extra special fragrance.

Basically, I would rather have 10 bottles of perfume that I love, versus having 30 bottles of some good fragrances. Let's face it, it will take quite a long time to use up 1,000 ml of fragrances, and that is if I only stop at 10 bottles.

In your case, you have really started to look hard at other fragrances the past month or so. If you do find one that is a 10/10 by your scale, are you not going to purchase it, because it is more than your ceiling?

I don't think I'd go over £120 ($190). I just couldn't bring myself to do it...

I tend to think that £1 per ml is pretty much my top limit, and even then it's not a price I'd pay very often.
    Alan

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I really don't have a ceiling, except for my sensibilities and finances. I would rather spend $300.00-$350.00 on one bottle of something that I found to be a 10/10 (by your rating system) versus purchase 3 bottles of something for less than $100.00 that I do not find to be that extra special fragrance.

Basically, I would rather have 10 bottles of perfume that I love, versus having 30 bottles of some good fragrances. Let's face it, it will take quite a long time to use up 1,000 ml of fragrances, and that is if I only stop at 10 bottles.

In your case, you have really started to look hard at other fragrances the past month or so. If you do find one that is a 10/10 by your scale, are you not going to purchase it, because it is more than your ceiling?
    Excellent point and I agree. I probably spent several hundred dollars buying bottles that were good (not great) just because they were cheap.

My ceiling is $250-300. I mean if something were $350 or 400, it would have to compete with Creed in quality, as I can get most creeds for $150.

Hmm I have paid more than 100usd in less than 10ml (some pure parfum) so i think the maximum would be about 500usd.
    More than that I would prefer a 30ml decant

mihailo

10% of my monthly income

I could see paying nearly any amount, if I found the fabled holy grail, but a bit more realistically, I think my upper ceiling is around $500 max. Anything over $200 has to be OMG-good.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Fascinating discussion for those of us who have to work out how to price our goods.

Keeping to a reasonable price when I'm selling direct isn't too hard, but retailers add at least 100% margin to anything they sell which makes it rather more of a challenge.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

mihailo

I think that some brands are expensive just because their stupid bottles cost so much. I am not going to name any companies, but it's rather obvious when you see something like:
    $255 for 1.7oz
    $295 for 3.3oz

I'm desperate to try Liz Zorn's Meerschaum absolute. But $220 for 15mL (+ shipping + import duties) is seriously pushing my upper limit.

The most I paid for a bottle was £200, but I was able to claw back around £75 by selling off the freebies that came with it. In saying that, anything £150 or over rightly deserves some intense scrutiny, AFAIC.

mihailo, the truth is they're probably just using the small price discrepancy to push you towards the larger bottle. I doubt it's due to the cost of the bottle OR the juice. The thing it does is net them an extra $40 (or say, $20, assuming the retailer has marked it up 100%), for maybe a $5 increase in the price of the juice - so, still, $15 profit. I don't think most places count on repeat purchases from customers, so they'll do most anything to get increase their net profit gains in that first, and quite possibly last, sale (at least for that particular scent).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sound Scents

Probably around $350-$400, but I definitely can't see ever going over $500. Then again, if you would have asked me the question even a year ago I probably would have answered with half the sums I just quoted, so I guess I really don't know.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Mona's Oud was my ceiling price ... I really can't see myself spending that much again , but that said it was worth every penny IMHO

If it was really outstanding, in the range of hundreds, yet never as much, as thousands, of dollars/Euros/pounds etc.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

No ceilings. It really depends on the quality of the juice and what that quality is worth to me in real dollar terms. I wouldn't buy anything I consider 'overpriced'.

I thought my ceiling was about $300. That's until I found a 75ml bottle of Vintage Tabarome. That set me back $750. Worth every penny.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

About 650$. No, I haven't spent that lately.

I went to £165 and that's probably my limit

I don't really know, I notice that I keep adjusting the ceiling for myself. Some time ago I couldn't imagine paying more than 100 euros for a fragrance but right now I'm seriously considering paying 195 euros for a 70 ml bottle of 'Oud' by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. I'm trying to convince myself it's insane but I'm not convinced yet...

I've just, just started collecting (yippee!), and have (so far) spent

- $250 CAD for 50 ml. Tom Ford Oud Wood
    - made a mistake of shelling out about $300 CAD for 75 ml. Creed Aventus which I gave away

I'm contemplating laying out about $450 CAD for 100 ml. By Kilian's Extreme Oud...blind buy. I love the Pure Oud sample sooo much, and have been advised that the EO is even more spectacular.

The limit is my pocketbook. After the EO, none for a long time.

Mona di Orio's Oud will most likely be my most expensive purchase (coming this month)

I believe the most I've paid for 100mL is $232 for Epic Man, but...the most I've paid is $290 for 50mL of Baie Rose 26, so by math I guess I would pay $580 for 100mL of BR26 ...

Dependent

300 absolute max an id have to be really wowed
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I would probably go to about $350 for something positively mindblowing. Anything more and it starts to compete for cash with other hobbies that are more important to me, like traveling.

Probably about £200, but I very rarely go for 100ml options anyway. Only if it's a fragrance I absolutely adore, or if it's the only available option. It can take me years to get through 30ml, never mind 100ml.

I think I'd go up to $300 for something really nice. The most expensive 100ml I've bought is Jubilation XXV (at 20% discount), but would have paid full price.

Although this endless summer recently forced (that's right, forced) me to buy a 50ml bottle of Xerjoff Kobe. I guess in per ml terms, that takes the cake. 10% discount though!

I don't think it's something that can be easily compared, if at all, as people have very different budgets & perceptions of value etc.

In any case for me, I think the majority of my collection is bottles smaller than 100ml.

Off the top of my head, though, I know I've paid a fair bit over £100 for a 100ml bottle in the past. And personally, I give 5 star ratings very sparingly in my collection. So for my next 5* find, I'm sure I'd be willing to pay more than my past top price if necessary.

$100

I should have a ceiling but if the right frag comes along, the vintage holy grail of grails... then I'd rather not eat for a while....

... I'm off to the obsessed section....

Probably ,I would pay at max. 100$ ,only if I like it . I haven't bought anything worth over 60$ yet.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Well lets just put it this way, I paid nearly $200.00 for a 30ml bottle of Black Afhano.