Code of Conduct

Default Whats an inexpensive good first oud?

I am looking to buy my first oud fragrance. I had Dirty English but returned it, tried Creed Royal Oud, and have a sample of Tom Ford Oud Wood. I haven't tried M7 in 4 years or so.

I like Royal Oud more than Oud Wood or Dirty English but from what I hear, Royal Oud isn't a Oud dominate frag.

So I don't want to spend a bunch of money but want a relatively inexpensive oud frag. M7? Montale?

Thanks.

Default Re: Whats an inexpensive good first oud?

You cannot beat M7 for that first experience of Oud at a affordable price.

Montale Original Aoud

Montale Oud Cuir D'Arabie or, Dark Aoud.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    You cannot beat M7 for that first experience of Oud at a affordable price.
    +1.....

M7 hands down
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

In Western perfumery, I agree it's difficult to beat M7 for price; if Montale is within the price range, though, I'd go with any of its oud. Warning: if you've never tried them, they are very potent.

At the cheap end, you could get an Arabian synthetic oud oil. Examples would be Swiss Arabian Mukhallat malaki (very strong) or Mukhallat Shahama (smoother, more ambery), which probably sell for around $30.

cacio

The best i would say - Ajmal's "Khallab" its dirty animalic-floral with a little tinge sweetness.
    Wears stinky for an hour then turns nice - i can really seeing this work in colder climates, but as a personal preference i'd go for M7 FOR ITS VERSATILITY.

M7 or one of the Montales. Like Alfarom, I like Dark Aoud.

If I go with a Montale what would the suggested Original Aoud, Oud Cuir D'Arabie or, Dark Aoud be my best bet?

I may go with M7. Do I have to search high and low for vintage or is the current formulation ok?

Other than Dirty English and M7, the only other non-niche oud I know of is Dior Fahrenheit Absolute.

Montale perfumes are not exactly inexpensive, but for the quality of the materials and powerful oudiness, you get a lot of value for what you spend. My introduction was Oud Lime, which I still love. I have a small bottle. I never spray more than one or two sprays maximum with this one, it's that potent. Upon smelling it, I had the rare experience of smelling something I'd never smelled before. I've gotten used to it since then, and now have several others. The note doesn't seem as alien as it did to me at first. I actually didn't wear it that often at first, I found it too strange and was self-conscious in public. How I've changed. I have a tester of M7 and though the oud note is definitely there, it's at about a tenth the volume as in most Montale ouds. M7 is a good introduction, as others have mentioned. Oud has a strange medicinal quality that's definitely not for everyone. It took me a while to like it. Black Oud (or Aoud or Oudh or whatever) is too strong for me. It has an oud and rose accord that's just a bit too heavy and opulent for me. Oud fragrances seem to be the specialty of Montale. Sliver Oud (Not SILver, but SLIver, like from a two-by-four) is lighter. Oud Cuir D'Arabie is a leather oud that's pretty raunchy but doesn't have particularly good longevity. Oud Leather is similar, but not as intense. It's more versatile. If you have a chance to sample a bunch of Montales, you can pick one that works for you. I wouldn't recommend a blind buy any of them. M7 is inoffensive enough that I think you could do a blind buy on it.

When did dirty english became an oud
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I personally havn't tried it, but how about Body Shop - Amber Oud EDP (from E-bay around $20)
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I personally havn't tried it, but how about Body Shop - Amber Oud EDP (from E-bay around $20)
    Forgot about this one too. I have it, it's more barnyard than the designer ouds out there... Dirty English, M7, M7 Fresh, Dior Fahrenheit Absolute.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    When did dirty english became an oud
    From the fragrance review directory http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129009.html

Top Notes
    Mandarin, Bergamot, Blue Cypress, Cardamom, Caraway

Middle Notes
    Marjoram, Black Leather, Sandalwood, Atlas Cedar, Vetiver

Base Notes
    Amber Musk, Agarwood, Black Moss Absolute, Ebony Wood

Agarwood generally equals Oud.

I agree with the others: if you can afford it, Montale is worth the price. I own Dark Aoud and it is a great scent.

M7.
    Last edited by Alvus; 28th August 2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: updted

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    If I go with a Montale what would the suggested Original Aoud, Oud Cuir D'Arabie or, Dark Aoud be my best bet?

I may go with M7. Do I have to search high and low for vintage or is the current formulation ok?
    Cuir D'Arabie is somewhat leathery. Dark Aoud is pretty simply focused on oud and sandalwood. I think you get more of an oud experience with Dark Aoud. Dark Aoud kind of similar to TF Oud Wood IMO. But the oud note is more prominent.

Slumberhouse Vikt

Quote Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
    Forgot about this one too. I have it, it's more barnyard than the designer ouds out there... Dirty English, M7, M7 Fresh, Dior Fahrenheit Absolute..
    Mind expanding on this one a bit, I have had a hard time finding a detailed breakdown of it and I am thinking of picking it up.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I'd go with Montale. I'm not a big fan of a strong Oud note, but this line gives you a real Oud experience without under or over doing it. It's a good middle ground to start out with.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

I think M7 blows Oud Wood out of the water. The oud experience is still there but you get a full blown perfume out of M7. Of all the choices, I think I'd recommend this one but I haven't tried a lot of the newer ones and can't really say. I have tried a lot of Montale ouds and still think I'd prefer M7, although Original Aoud, Black Aoud, and Dark Aoud are all pretty darn good, too.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Oud perfumes usually fall into two categories, rose and non rose or woody Oud fragrances. Two I recommend are: Oud Istaphan by Dior (rose) and Aqua di Parma Oud (wood Oud). they are priced for what you get although still are a little more than the average fragrance. In my opinion M7 is a nice historically significant Oud scent, but doesn't keep up with quality of so many others on the market now. Montale are also smelling old and poorly blended compared to others nowadays. Quality has slipped there,

This is list of Oud perfumes that are all pretty good - purely personal opinion of a fan of many of the new Oud late comers:

Harrod's ltd. edition bond no.9
    Aqua di Parma Oud
    Dior Oud Ipahan
    Heels Agarwoud
    Dior Leather Oud
    Aramis Perfume Calligraphy
    Armani Prive Oud Royal
    MFK Oud
    NY Oud Bond No 9
    Midnight Oud Juliette Has a Gun
    Killin Pure Oud
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 28th August 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie.

It's been rarely mentioned here... Korres, a small Greek company has something called "Saffron, Cardamom, Amber". The fragrance name is actually the list of ingredients. Google it. It's a very good, smooth fragrance. Beautifully blended and there is oud in there. About £25 for 50ml here in the UK.

I want to sample some ouds. I know lucky scent and the perfumed court have some but they are expensive. Anywhere else that I could get Montale samples for a reasonable price in a timely manner?

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I'd go with Montale. I'm not a big fan of a strong Oud note, but this line gives you a real Oud experience without under or over doing it. It's a good middle ground to start out with.
    So you dont think Montale has a strong Oud note ?

M7 or M7 oud absolu is a good starting point.
    I also second Khallab EDP by Ajmal, it has real indian agarwood mixed in with jasmine, grapefruit and neroli and its about $75-85 dollars

Banned
    Blog Entries

m7, which sells for $90 now, is the cheapest good oud fragrance out there, and probably the best

Sur la Plage

Vintage M7 - which may not be so inexpensive anymore. Do not waste any money on the current versions.

Also sample Kerosene R'Oud Elements.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    So you dont think Montale has a strong Oud note ?
    I don't think so. Maybe it's how they blend their fragrances, but I've smelled some oud fragrances that come up and punch you in the nose with, what in my opinion smells like, fecal matter. I'm not a fan .
    Last edited by silentrich; 28th August 2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

M7 is very nice starter oud.... The Montale line gives you great bang for the buck, I personally like Dark Aoud or Purple Aoud....