Code of Conduct

Default Ever had a negative comment from a friend/stranger on a fragrance you've worn that...

you personally really like? how did/would you react to that? would it put you off wearing it again in future or would you just put it down to their poor taste? i experienced this recently when i was wearing Chocolat by II Profumo and overheard a lady i was sitting next to make a very negative comment to her partner next to her about my scent. she didn't realise i heard her comment but it did make me think twice about the scent and i have not worn it a great deal since even though i still like it.

Default Re: Ever had a negative comment from a friend/stranger on a fragrance you've worn tha

What was the comment?

Default Re: Ever had a negative comment from a friend/stranger on a fragrance you've worn tha

Oh Please, You can't please everyone. So, just wear what you want.

Yeah, What was the comment?
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Through some initial experimentation, I have reached the hypothesis that my boyfriend dislikes my CDG2 in its delightful inky-floral glory. Which is a pity, since I am rather fond of it.

He always makes comments like "Oh, why did you have to wear perfume, when you're just coming over for dinner/studying?" and so forth, when I wear it. He does not seem to complain much when I wear other fragrances, and commented positively on some other fragrances, so I think is is a particular dislike.

So I shrug, explain to him that I like the fragrance, and go about my own way. I suppose I've tried to wear it a bit less in his presence, but that's really just caused me to go about wearing it more when I'm not likely to see him, so my total usage of it has not dropped.

the comment was something along the lines that 'the guy next to me is wearing the most disgusting smelling scent'. obviously i know you can't please everyone, it is just you would hope never to hear or overhear such a comment. what you don't know/don't hear can't affect you but when you do hear such a comment it does get you thinking. like i said though, i still like the scent and will wear it in future but i was merely asking about similar experiences and how people would react/have reacted.

Didn't mean to sound condescending. It was more a reaction to the lady having the nerve to comment on your frag. I can't remember ever hearing anyone complain about a scent I was wearing. I have heard that I was wearing too much. In the case of the former, I'd react thusly, "Oh please, I can't please everyone, so I'll just wear what I want."
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Oh Please, You can't please everyone. So, just wear what you want.

Yeah, What was the comment?
    Agreed. That would be what I think too.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Who cares what some cranky old woman thinks.
    Unless you're wearing, say, 20 sprays of the stuff, wear what you want.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Yea there'll always we people who dislike even a scent you think is heaven in a bottle.

I would avoid wearing something you know people dislike when you go over to their place, but if you meet them anywhere else or outside Id be less inclined to perfume to their taste.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Terre d'Herms, everytime i wear it, i get negative responses..( jokes about rotten oranges etc..) but then again, i don't like it either.. I just wear it to try to figure out why everybody here likes it so much.. after half a bottle,
    i still can't figure it out.
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

Once, with Vetyver by L'Occitane: a friend of mine told me "it's you! I've been trying to figure out where that smell came from and it's you! It is odd, makes me want to sneeze...".

I personally like to wear scents but I follow indications by part of old members of the family regarding the fact that smelling too much is rude. So I take those comments as an indication I have gone too far.

BTW, L'Occitane scents are tricky in that sense; my wife and me can't feel the scents on our bodies, but the rest of the people do.

I remember it was like the second time for me wearing Silver Mountain Water, and a coworker told me that he thought it smelled like a girls perfume. Now, for a couple of minutes I remembered people on the boards saying that they thought it leaned more towards the feminine side of Unisex and I began having doubts about my ability to wear it. I soon came to senses and chalked it up to his rather pedestrian views on fragrance (i.e Aqcua Di Gio is all he knows about) and has since forgotten all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos
    ...Oh please, I can't please everyone, so I'll just wear what I want...
    Yes; Herbert Bayard Swope said: "I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody."
    I like to hear other people’s opinion about my fragrances. It always amuses me. The members of my family, my friends and my colleagues pretty often have negative comments about my scents, and that’s OK. Everybody has the right to say what (s)he thinks about the scent I’m wearing and no one has the right to tell me what frag I should or shouldn’t wear. I just don’t create a picture about some scent using the other people’s noses. I have my own nose. I apply MY scent on MY skin, so the only taste I really appreciate is MY taste.
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 4th November 2008 at 02:32 PM.
    As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others. Peter Handke

My worst experience was with Arpege pour homme.

People who work with me still made bad comments about that fragance.

I dislike it very much also.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentr d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Smells like feet" - a friend on Gaultier 2

"Smells like unwashed hair" - same friend on Yohji Homme

What does my friend wear? Curve - smells like puke IMNSHO

- Ali

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I remember it was like the second time for me wearing Silver Mountain Water, and a coworker told me that he thought it smelled like a girls perfume. Now, for a couple of minutes I remembered people on the boards saying that they thought it leaned more towards the feminine side of Unisex and I began having doubts about my ability to wear it. I soon came to senses and chalked it up to his rather pedestrian views on fragrance (i.e Aqcua Di Gio is all he knows about) and has since forgotten all about it.
    Girly??? Dude, Ricky Martin wears SMW. Hmmmm . . .

- Al

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Terre d'Herms, everytime i wear it, i get negative responses..( jokes about rotten oranges etc..) but then again, i don't like it either.. I just wear it to try to figure out why everybody here likes it so much.. after half a bottle,
    i still can't figure it out.
    That is what I call dedication my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by merseyboy View Post
    you personally really like? how did/would you react to that? would it put you off wearing it again in future or would you just put it down to their poor taste? i experienced this recently when i was wearing Chocolat by II Profumo and overheard a lady i was sitting next to make a very negative comment to her partner next to her about my scent. she didn't realise i heard her comment but it did make me think twice about the scent and i have not worn it a great deal since even though i still like it.
    id love to get such comments!! Seriously I've not even never had any comments, people don't even seem to notice or smell anything. And I mostly douse myself with the most discussed fragrances on this board. Once I wore 0,75 ml of MKK with 1 spritz ambre sultan (orgasmlike) noone on the train noticed anything! I hoped at least for bad looks!

Default Re: Ever had a negative comment from a friend/stranger on a fragrance you've worn that...

My friend's mom gave my a ride and I was wearing CW, she immediately rolled down her window

Default Re: Ever had a negative comment from a friend/stranger on a fragrance you've worn that...

Knock wood - hasn't to happened to me yet.

I was wearing CDG Palisander today and when a coworker of mine walked in to our meeting room, he said "it smells like Ajax in here!" I had to smile knowing that it was me. My brother, who is also my boss, said "Well, that means it smells clean in here right?"

I told my wife about it and she asked if that changed my opinion of Palisander, and I told her that I still loved it just the same. That's the first time I have had some feedback about my frags...I don't say negative, because maybe my coworker loves the scent of ajax right?! Right!

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I was wearing CDG Palisander today and when a coworker of mine walked in to our meeting room, he said "it smells like Ajax in here!" I had to smile knowing that it was me. My brother, who is also my boss, said "Well, that means it smells clean in here right?"

I told my wife about it and she asked if that changed my opinion of Palisander, and I told her that I still loved it just the same. That's the first time I have had some feedback about my frags...I don't say negative, because maybe my coworker loves the scent of ajax right?! Right!
    Is it a semen like smell?
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

"Smells like sweat"
    Lacoste Pour Homme. No one else has said that, so I still wear it.

I ordered a flacon of Creed Aventus before I became aware of batch variations. There was a woman who walked in to the cafeteria at work and yelled "Someone smells like an old man". Right away I knew she was speaking of me because the batch that I purchased was very smoky and very loud. I believe that I had the K02 batch. When I got home, I immediately placed my flacon up for swap.

"smells like unwashed anus" - yatagan. i disagree.

I wonder how many of these comments come not from the fragrance but the possibility of over application? This is just my personal preference for wearing scent, but if the lady at the table next to you can smell you then it's too much. I personally don't like for my scent to travel much beyond my arm's length, and even that is pushing it. I've never heard a complaint, but I often (well, maybe twice a month) get people who will seek me out and come in closer for a sniff and ask with intrigue what I'm wearing. I firmly believe fragrance is best exemplified when worn subtle. I cringe when I read those 5-10 spray stories. I saw someone on the Interlude Man thread say he used something like 15 sprays.. sometimes I can't tell if you guys are trolling for laughs or simply out of your minds! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    Nope, no semen...do you think that ajax smells like semen?

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    I wonder how many of these comments come not from the fragrance but the possibility of over application? This is just my personal preference for wearing scent, but if the lady at the table next to you can smell you then it's too much. I personally don't like for my scent to travel much beyond my arm's length, and even that is pushing it. I've never heard a complaint, but I often (well, maybe twice a month) get people who will seek me out and come in closer for a sniff and ask with intrigue what I'm wearing. I firmly believe fragrance is best exemplified when worn subtle. I cringe when I read those 5-10 spray stories. I saw someone on the Interlude Man thread say he used something like 15 sprays.. sometimes I can't tell if you guys are trolling for laughs or simply out of your minds! :P
    I would have to agree. My experience that I shared above is the only time anyone has said anything when I have worn Palisander...and, that was the only time that I feel like I applied too much. It was only 3 sprays, but I usually do 1-2, so, for me, 3 was pushing it and it was obviously too much.

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    ROTF LMAO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    I think you have a very very valid point here, sir!
    The idea has been bugging me for quite a while, but it would fit with why Aventus (e.g.) is such a compliment-getter. It's loud and over-powering, even at one or two sprays. But if you were to over-apply, it would certainly get you noticed and no doubt result in 'compliments'. I find this is the case with mostly gourmand scents too.
    Incidentally, I totally agree with your comments above. If you can be smelled at arm's length, then it is borderline too much

Quote Originally Posted by merseyboy View Post
    the comment was something along the lines that 'the guy next to me is wearing the most disgusting smelling scent'.
    I'd wear 10x the amount and be sure to sit by that person again .
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Oh my, yes! I have had soooooo many negative comments about my most favorite scents, haha! I still wear them. I've had very negative reactions from people to just about every chypre I've ever worn and for some reason Guerlain's vetiver seems especially hated. The most intensive comments were directed at my bal a versailles parfum, however.

It doesn't deter me at all.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    Through some initial experimentation, I have reached the hypothesis that my boyfriend dislikes my CDG2 in its delightful inky-floral glory. ... I suppose I've tried to wear it a bit less in his presence, but that's really just caused me to go about wearing it more when I'm not likely to see him, so my total usage of it has not dropped.
    I more or less do this. When I'm dating someone, I enjoy the process of figuring out what she likes and what she doesn't. There's a world of options for fragrances, so I don't mind putting away one of my favorites if she doesn't like it. It just means I get to seek out new favorites, and that's fun.

Many years ago, I dated a woman who didn't like Polo, which is what I wore at the time. I put it away while we dated, which was years. When we broke up, guess what the first thing I did was? I went out and bought a new bottle of Polo, spraying each wrist with it before even leaving the store. "Hello old friend!"

I love scents, but there is no fragrance I couldn't give up for the love of a good woman.

P.S. Thanks to basenotes, I have much better taste these days - and even though it's been ages since I wore Polo, it still smells like an old friend.

I remember wearing Tobacco Vanille once and a friend commented that someone smelled of "eggy farts".

I was NOT impressed. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    Things just got interesting.

It only would make me chuckle if somebody commented negatively about my powerhouse frags. (Yet to happen) It would make me feel like small devil's horns would grow out of my head....
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

"Ew what's that smell? Smells like bad old lady perfume."

-Female friend commenting on Encre Noire.

But I've also gotten compliments on it.

I've never had a negative comment, perse, however I was accused of wearing a lady's perfume whilst wearing Guerlain's S. Double Vanille. I almost hit her in the face because I adore the scent.

Well sdv is very perfumey to me, though I still enjoy wearing it. I think the booziness gives it that somewhat sharp "perfuminess".

I wore Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan to a Rob Zombie concert, the big Halloween bash put on by a local rock radio station, and as I was heading toward the arena concourse for maybe the 99th beer, a guy said "That's it! That's that smell I've been smelling!" I'm not sure if he was talking about my fragrance, or any number of the other unusual scents one might encounter at a show like that. But I'm pretty sure he was talking about Ambre Sultan.

And so the f--- what? You're at a metal show, right? What else do you expect at a show like that? Stetson?

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't have been able to resist asking, "So, you go around sniffing a lot of unwashed anuses, do you?"
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 29th August 2012 at 12:33 AM.

"unwashed anus"
    Ok I'm calling dibs. If I ever get booted I'm coming back as this.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Basenotes Junkie

I put on a sample of Kouros the other day and my girlfriend recoiled when she sniffed it. I don't care. I still plan to buy a bottle. I just won't wear it around her.

Happened frequently to me. The latest experience was:

though I absolutely love Chanel Antaeus, when I was visiting at a friend's place, I was told I: "smell like an old lady".

Blog Entries

I think there has to be a balance. If I am wearing a strong, non-traditional frag, and I know I will be around a lot of people, I go lightly. After all, I HATE being in a confined area with someone who is so rude they blow their smoke around, why should I force my Montale on a bunch of people. That isn't stifling my creativity... it is consideration. There are actually rules/laws some places forbidding wearing fragrances, my wife is a nurse in a hospital, and they are not allowed to wear any frag. All because a few rude people drenched themselves in drug store musks...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    though I absolutely love Chanel Antaeus, when I was visiting at a friend's place, I was told I: "smell like an old lady".
    I've had similar 360 degree responses on Antaeus and won't be buying another bottle

Quote Originally Posted by psychoskip View Post
    things just got interesting.
    rotflmao

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting.