Code of Conduct

Default Is shalimar edp really unisex or pushing the line?

I've smelled shalimar edt and it seemed pretty feminine and i was wondering if the edp was more unisex.

Default Re: Is shalimar edp really unisex or pushing the line?

I find it a beautiful fragrance- my wife has it and I wear it now and again. I feel confident wearing it and I suppose that's the key here.

Have you tried KL Homme? Now discontinued but pops up on ebay. Lagerfelds ode to men on Shalimar- another great.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially the drydown could work well on both genders.

What line?

Perfectly unisex IMO

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Perfectly wearable for anyone IMO.

Very feminine in both concentrations IMO.

Basenotes Institution

I love Shalimar, and I wear mostly the vintage Eau de Cologne and vintage parfum. The EdT is NOT my favorite version (vintage or new) because it's intensely powdery and this accord mixed with the animalic notes (and that biting bergamot in the top notes) makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. The EdP is much more animalic and less powdery - more resinous, sweeter with the vanilla a bit deeper.

Whether any of these smells more 'feminine' is much more subjective - only you can answer that for yourself. I will say this though: If you do not like the EdT I don't think you're going to like the EdP - they are not that different.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Very feminine in both concentrations IMO.
    Agree.

Basenotes Plus

As hard as I tried to like it, this one I found a little too feminine for my taste.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree.
    And is this based on actual skin testing or just marketing?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The most recent Shalimar EDP is totally unisex. It's never been the height of femininity, but these days the EDP is a dark, resinous incense and vanilla fragrance that totally works.

I'm a (straight, if that matters) man, and Shalimar extrait (which is very similar to the EDP anyway) is probably my most complimented scent. People love it on me.

What really matters is that you love it on yourself. I'm one of many men (and especially on this board) who treat it as some sort of ultimate perfection.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

It's the unisexiest

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It's the unisexiest
    hehehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    The most recent Shalimar EDP is totally unisex. It's never been the height of femininity, but these days the EDP is a dark, resinous incense and vanilla fragrance that totally works.

I'm a (straight, if that matters) man, and Shalimar extrait (which is very similar to the EDP anyway) is probably my most complimented scent. People love it on me.

What really matters is that you love it on yourself. I'm one of many men (and especially on this board) who treat it as some sort of ultimate perfection.

It's an odd (or maybe not) thing, but a lot of fragrances which are questioned for their gender suitability turn out to be most acceptable in their most concentrated form, the extrait. Going further into the Guerlain family, witness Mitsouko and Jicky parfum with their male devotees. In my personal experience, I wound up giving the only bottle I ever owned of Caleche (Hermes) in extrait to a male friend. He demonstrated ample evidence that it smelled better on him than on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    It's an odd (or maybe not) thing, but a lot of fragrances which are questioned for their gender suitability turn out to be most acceptable in their most concentrated form, the extrait. Going further into the Guerlain family, witness Mitsouko and Jicky parfum with their male devotees. In my personal experience, I wound up giving the only bottle I ever owned of Caleche (Hermes) in extrait to a male friend. He demonstrated ample evidence that it smelled better on him than on me!
    A very fair observation. Cuir de Russie & Bois des Iles are also both great in Extrait - solid and understated (a lot like myself ). I think the slow move towards higher concentration masculines (Uomo Profumo, Terre d'Hermes, Habit Rouge, M and even X for Men) bears witness to this. It's ironic that the Extrait version of so many fragrances, where the essence of the composition has a chance to unfold over time without the need for brighter lighter notes to announce its arrival to all and sundry, should be the very one that goes by the name Parfum / Perfume - that singular word that has so many men running for the hills. It really must be a headache for the marketing people. Half the guys here just couldn't bring themselves to utter the word Parfum when Hermes brought out the Terre d'Hermes version - they just resolutely kept referring to it as an EDP . . . letters are safer, I guess.

It's really up to your personal preference. I wear Chanel Bois des Iles, Sycomore and Coromandel. All are considered female fragrances by advertising and marketing standards. No one has ever called me out or even asked if I was wearing a female fragrance.

Is Shalimar unisex? Yes
    Is Shalimar pushing the line? Always!
    This is why it is one the true greats.

If you compare the drydown of Heritage and Shalimar you will find there is a lot of similarity, so what does that tell you?

Make no mistake. Shalimar is a very feminine scent. A beautiful, iconic feminie scent. Men can wear it but don't fool yourself; you are doing the olfactory equivalent of crossdressing. Habit Rouge and Heritage exist for a reason.

I have the edp and extrait and mostly wear it around the house. Gotta say though, Habit Rouge edt and edp projects moreso and might just get me more sideways glances than a swipe or two of Shalimar.

It's all a matter of comfort.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I mean it's kinda unisex but idk. Shalimar Initial really gives off a Dior Homme Intense vibe with some florals behind it, but really close, and DHI's a male fragrance so go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean it's kinda unisex but idk. Shalimar Initial really gives off a Dior Homme Intense vibe with some florals behind it, but really close, and DHI's a male fragrance so go figure.