Code of Conduct

Default Question about a bad sample of Aventus

Hey BNers,

A few months back I had the opportunity to sample Aventus and I loved it, so when my sample was finished I wasted no time ordering a bigger decant. Being a distractible beginner at this hobby, however, I had managed to forget all about Creed's infamous batch variations, so when I checked out my new vial I was in for a nasty surprise.

The accord is functionally the same, but in place of the pineapple h-bomb I'd been expecting, there is a sour blackcurrant note that soon gives way to a faint, weak ash. It projects next to nowhere and lasts for about an hour, and I know I'm not anosmic to the formula because my previous sample radiated for miles and gave me 10 (fully detectable to myself) hours with very minimal application. If any of you ever had inclination to doubt the reality of Creed batch variations, then please believe me when I say this is absolutely nowhere near the same juice as the previous Aventus sample that I'd gotten from the same place two months previous. (I unfortunately didn't get the number of that batch.)

What's your opinion on a situation like this? Am I in my rights to send the decant back and ask them to give me a future voucher for when they start decanting from a better batch? Or is it just buyer beware, better luck next time?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, apologies in advance for Yet Another Aventus Thread™

Default Re: Question about a bad sample of Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by manatee View Post
    It projects next to nowhere and lasts for about an hour
    Oh dear, you do realize this is the pretext for one of those "I got sent home from work today" threads, yes? :P

But in all seriousness, you could try to see if the decanter is sympathetic to your situation. At least it's a lesson learned. My best advice is find a batch number you like and seek out a decanter with the same batch, but perhaps an actual Creed fan can chime in with better advice.

Knowledge is power my friend. I would treat this as a lesson learned and do some research in the Aventus Batch Numbers thread.

Thanks for your reply! I already have a couple of reputable batches lined up. Creeds aren't sold in my country (and import taxes are extortionate), so your suggestion is definitely a good one for me. Need to look into that further.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    Oh dear, you do realize this is the pretext for one of those "I got sent home from work today" threads, yes? :P
    Ha! I did indeed have that experience with the first sample. I didn't quite get sent home from work, but at the event I wore it to I got that visceral kind of head-turning reaction from enough people to realize that the scent was making a very definite impact. Whether good or bad, I'm not sure. It's entirely possible that I did indeed use too much, but the thing is I was still pretty careful... it was only two sprays from one of those small 1.5ml atomizers. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of olfactory Hindenburg a 4.2oz Creed sprayer can perpetrate with that.

Where did you get the decant from and do you know what batch number it is?

Quote Originally Posted by psychoskip View Post
    Knowledge is power my friend. I would treat this as a lesson learned and do some research in the Aventus Batch Numbers thread.
    Probably the really bad thing about this for me is that I was actually already aware of the existence of batch numbers, and Aventus's susceptibility in particular, but it just somehow completely slipped my mind when I was putting together the order. Might just chalk it up to ADD newbie-kid excitement and move on. Thanks for your reply!

- - - Updated - - -

yteek, the batch is C42B10K04.

There are some really bad smokey and weak batches of aventus. So far all the newer batches I've tried have been good. The original batches were strong/fruity, then Creed fell off with C4210e02, and didn't get back on their feet for another 9 months or so it seems. Some of those batches were just straight up cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by manatee View Post
    Probably the really bad thing about this for me is that I was actually already aware of the existence of batch numbers, and Aventus's susceptibility in particular, but it just somehow completely slipped my mind when I was putting together the order. Might just chalk it up to ADD newbie-kid excitement and move on. Thanks for your reply!

- - - Updated - - -

yteek, the batch is C42B10K04.
    Ah, the dreaded 2010 batch. Scroll through the batch number thread here to try to locate one that seems more like the one you're looking for.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/267...-batch-numbers

Quote Originally Posted by psychoskip View Post
    Sound advice.

There's no point in sending it back, or giving it away.
    Throw it in the GARBAGE!
    Better luck next TIME!

You've been sold a 2 year old batch and 2010 K04 is the one to avoid as its very heavy on the birch tar and just kills the top notes.

how do you read the batch number? I have 30ml spray bought from Neiman Marcus in Bellevue, WA. on bottom of bottle in center I see CREED, MADE IN FRANCE, PARIS. To the left I see what looks like S0D. to the right there is a number 2.

I think you should wait for a good batch number and pay more attention before buying.
    Last edited by Alvus; 28th August 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Gotta love Creed for charging an absolute fortune for the scent equivalent of Russian Roulette. I personally won't play considering it is my money. They need to spend some of those huge profits on consistency!

Quote Originally Posted by dampier View Post
    Gotta love Creed for charging an absolute fortune for the scent equivalent of Russian Roulette. I personally won't play considering it is my money. They need to spend some of those huge profits on consistency!
    +1.........can anyone name another fragrance with such inconsistency? I smelled it once at a dept store and thought it was amazing. 3 months later I buy a sample and it's meh. I was very disappointed, but honestly, I think my taste in fragrance has deepened and aventus is really just top shelf sephora. So much more perfume to buy at 160 a ounce, but on a split.....I would prob buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Alvus View Post
    I think you should wait for a good batch number and pay more attention before buying.
    Isn't it a real shame that we are forced to do this when purchasing LUXURY goods ??? During that first year or so during Erwin's transition as "ingredient procurer for the entire house", Creed was IMHO recklessly irresponsible, and risked doing permanent damage to their increasingly popular brand. They've been ok for a while now, but god forbid another bad year or two...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    honestly, I think my taste in fragrance has deepened and aventus is really just top shelf sephora. So much more perfume to buy at 160 a ounce, but on a split.....I would prob buy it
    I like the term "top shelf sephora". Been calling Aventus similar bad names since it's inception. Aventus is in absolutely no way worth it's $160 retail price for a 1ounce bottle. But yes, it's split price $66-$80 per 1.7 ounces, is much more sensible. It's worth a tiny bit more than the best designer stuff Sephora has to offer, but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by dampier View Post
    Thats a bit of a generic drama queen reply, Its been 2 years since that batch the OP bought and the consistency has been there in the 2011's and the first two batches of 2012.

Dependent

Hey manatee, how big of a decant did you get yourself? If its a 50ml kind after your small sample, I strongly recommend our BN spliters! Both Kron and heperd will be highly recommended as Ive ordered from them before. And you can be sure its a good batch
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Basenotes Plus

I agree with Dullah. I have had samples, from Sachs, that smelled like a cigarette ash tray mixed with stale pineapple juice. They were terrible and, for me, unwearable. Recently, I received a sample from the Creed Boutique in NYC and it was far less smokey. I still didn't like it, but it was lightyears better than the rubbish that I sampled before. Your best bet with Aventus, or any Creed for that matter, is to buy from a reputable dealer that will let you return it if you are not satisfied.

I never get a strong pineapple scent. Usually dominated by some type of birch and a light fruit. Maybe pineapple. I have smelled some samples that had a dominant pineapple. I'm don't know of I will shell out that kinda cash again.

Quote Originally Posted by baldheadjim View Post
    I never get a strong pineapple scent. Usually dominated by some type of birch and a light fruit. Maybe pineapple. I have smelled some samples that had a dominant pineapple. I'm don't know of I will shell out that kinda cash again.
    The "pineapple heavy" batches are pretty much the only ones I prefer. I have smelled just about every batch I could find and only those ones are the ones worth buying, IMO.

I'm actually a bit of an oddball on Aventus. My son loves it & wears it as his signature (He's 19 & his female friends go nuts over this stuff). But anyway, I've ordered several samples & decants for him & myself, and while he likes the pineapple batches, I actually really love the heavy birch/ash batches. My favorite sample was the one I got from Perfumed Court about a year & a half ago, and as many have stated, it's from one of the 2010 ashy, birch heavy batches. I loved that stuff. Just a dab & it radiates forever. This might be due to the fact that I only tend to wear Aventus as a fall/winter scent. It's not fresh enough for my summer tastes. Anyway, I'll be the weirdo and admit to actually kind of preferring the birch heavy batches. Lol!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post

Hahaha. I know. I guess the search function has been disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    dahhhahhahhahahahaha!

I was about ready to yawn real big and then had to laugh instead.

Thx for that!
    Simplex Sigillum Veri