Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default fahrenheit reformulated

i own the vintage version and i bought a new version (the reformulation with the darker bottle). i have to say that i like the newer version better, as to me, it is far more redolent of a rubber-gasoline note than the original

Default Re: fahrenheit reformulated

I'm a fan of the current formulation too as it lasts and projects and smells great.

I've owned both (simultaneously) and if I was asked to choose a preference I would go for the modern version as well (ever-so-slightly more bite). There's hardly any difference, to be honest. It's a SUPERB reformulation.

Sur la Plage

The vintage version is a masterpiece. The current version is mediocre, at best.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have the original release but also find what's out there now is just as good.

I went through several bottles of the vintage which I used to wear when it was originally released. I recently bought a bottle of the current formulation and swapped it right away...Yes, it is still pretty good but I was so familiar with the original formulation that the new one seemd somewhat extraneous...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The original formulation was much better. Lasted longer and what great projection. I went through bottles of Fahrenheit when it first came out. The re-formulated version is okay, but breaks my heart when I think of how much I enjoyed wearing the original version.

So, if the original has a less prominent diesel vibe, what does it have in its place? I've never come across it, though I do like the current version when the weather permits.

The new formulation lacks the warmth of the older ones.

There are many formulations as of 1988 of this scent.

I own a 50ml silver limited edition from 2005 I guess, looking at batch code and in my bottle the gasoline note is not as heavy as the real vintage ones but just right and better imo than the current version where 'eau de toilette' is not written on the bottle anymore (right under Fahrenheit).
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The vintage version is a masterpiece. The current version is mediocre, at best.
    Agree. My roommate in college(88-92) owned Fahrenheit and I loved wearing it. Distinctive and it had a "spice" to it that I still can't find to this day. I tried the new version and the first 30 seconds brings me back to the original and then that gasoline/rubber smell kicks in and I hate it. I never remember that being so out there.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Banned
    Blog Entries

the modern one is much more pungent, whereas the vintage one was smoother. i like the pungent smell to this reformulation as it makes it smell even more like petroleum.

I'm currently using the current and I love it. That said I've never smelt the vintage. It still seems to have great lasting power and projection. Well complimented too...people still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    There are many formulations as of 1988 of this scent.
    This is the real challenge of discussing reformulations. Everybody thinks the version they smelled first was the original, but unless yours is nearly 20 years old, odds are good that your 'vintage' is actually a reformulation. As Slayerized correctly points out, it's been reformulated different times through the past 24 years. I don't doubt there's been an earlier formulation that was better, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a previous formulation that wasn't as good. It's easy to split hairs over these things, but it's important to keep it in perspective. There's a lot of designer trash that comes and goes. Fahrenheit was and still is a work of fragrance art.

I enjoy the current version very much. The scent is excellent and I get marvelous longevity from it.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 29th August 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Basenotes Plus

The vintage formulation smells like flowers and freshly cut violet leaves. It's opening is alive and bright due to the honeysuckle, then darkens. The newer one smells pretty good, but is synthetic smelling and smells more like motor oil. Longevity is much better with the new juice, but to me the original formulation smells better: much better. That being said, if you like the motor oil/gasoline qualities in Fahrenheit, you might prefer the modern interpretation.

Sound Scents

I like the current formulation, but love, own and wear the vintage. The newer stuff is just not as good, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I like all the formulations. I actually like them in order of formulation, but I wear the current one the most.
    http://www.youtube.com/jimihendrix1117

*Peace and Happiness*

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bejahu View Post
    The vintage formulation smells like flowers and freshly cut violet leaves. It's opening is alive and bright due to the honeysuckle, then darkens. The newer one smells pretty good, but is synthetic smelling and smells more like motor oil. Longevity is much better with the new juice, but to me the original formulation smells better: much better. That being said, if you like the motor oil/gasoline qualities in Fahrenheit, you might prefer the modern interpretation.
    Very well said. It is that subdued, yet very present, floral element that makes the difference between the wonderful vintage and the 'acceptable' reformulation.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned
    Blog Entries

older fahrenheit is a honeysuckle floral.
    modern fahrenheit is total motor oil, which is why i like it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bejahu View Post
    THIS^^^^^^^^

As I said above, my roommate and I basically split bottles and this was 1988-1992 so this was the original stuff. There was such a great smoothness to the original. The motor oil/gas/rubber or whatever is just a blast in the face that is nothing like the version I remember.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I'm just doing public service announcement: The original Fahrenheit was fantastic with an overdose of a violet molecule which is now very limited. Without this molecule, you rip the spine of the real fragrance.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?