Code of Conduct

Default Lutens new release : Le vaporisateur tout noir

They are going to release (october) a new presentation for their perfumes: 30 ml all black travels sprayers.

I'm waiting one, the design is exactly the same as the sprayer of Nombre noir : hexagonal with japanese black lacquer (as the make-up line too).

I don't know if they 'll release the exclusives in this format but it sound interesting to have a proper Lutens designed sprayer for those precious juices.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lutens new release : Le vaporisateur tout noir

I remember reading about these on The Perfume Shrine blog a while ago.
    Really looking forward to seeing them.
    Thanks, Mon-Petit!

Thanks for the info.

Will make photos asap.

I'm a little feared for the price to come. Otherwise it seems very class.

Thanks Mon-Petit!!!!

They will be empty or will be sold filled with the fragrances?

Apparently filled.
    It seems that it is a decant in glass with an independent sprayer that you put into the black japanese lacquer case.
    It's maybe the same concept used in the Frederic Malle line : they sell 10 ml filled decants and an ultra expensive case (but you can still use the decant without it).

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Looking forward to see this...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, chatted to my fav sa, she does Lutens. She kindly brought out her sales notes etc for forthcoming releases and there they where. So actually there are only two Feminite du Bois and Ambre Sultan!!!! Whether more will appear at a later day??????

Black outer box, no writing that I could see from the photos.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to this too, very useful for using the belljars as sprays.

I think it is said that more will come in this packaging.

Post Thanks / Like

If one of them was Nombre Noir I'd be interested.

Nothing new - just another attempt at fleecing the public. Remember these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serge-Lutens...-/230751222171

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

I had one of these with Ambre Sultan and threw it away, once it was finished....

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing a pic - if it's refillable and decently made that's a handy size to have, the TDC & Hermes travel refills are only around 10ml.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

These are usually given free with purchases. Then people put them on ebay to sell.
    DONNA

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    These are usually given free with purchases. Then people put them on ebay to sell.
    Maybe in the past. I've recently bought some bell jars but all the gave me was the usual wax samples pack and a bunch of tiny samples...

Post Thanks / Like

The 15mls refillable sprays, used to come out at certain times of the year, a promo with certain bottles. Strangely it was the export bottles you got them free with!!!!!! My friend in House of Fraser the other year had them, but only a few to give out to special customers who bought.
    DONNA

Yes the 15ml sprays were free gifts given by the SA's and concerned only a few fragrances of the export line (ambre sultan, cèdre, serge noire).
    It has nothing to do with the vaporisateur tout noir.
    When i bought Daim blond when it was released, at last minute i hesitated with Cèdre in the store and the SA gave me a 15 ml Cèdre free to properly try it, i was happy !

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

The 15mls refillable sprays, used to come out at certain times of the year, a promo with certain bottles. Strangely it was the export bottles you got them free with!!!!!! My friend in House of Fraser the other year had them, but only a few to give out to special customers who bought.
    ohhh, I see...

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Yes the 15ml sprays were free gifts given by the SA's and concerned only a few fragrances of the export line (ambre sultan, cèdre, serge noire).
    It has nothing to do with the vaporisateur tout noir.
    When i bought Daim blond when it was released, at last minute i hesitated with Cèdre in the store and the SA gave me a 15 ml Cèdre free to properly try it, i was happy !
    But the point being is that this isn't anything new from Serge Lutens. If they wanted to put the 15ml bottles on the market, they could have. Free or not, black or transparent, they're still based on the same concept.

Post Thanks / Like

From the OP it sounds like these are different from the free tubes - 30ml, hexagonal, black laqueur?

I want to see a picture

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I want to see a picture
    Here you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanksalot!

Now let's just hope they turn up at a Lutens counter near me real soon

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is what the sa showed me, well a photo of.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the price will tell the tale.

If they were to price them reasonably, it's something I could see catching on with other houses.

The abilty to buy less juice at a lesser price, but still having an item in hand that fulfills the appearance aspect that seems to drive the FB urge for a lot of people....

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks more like lipstick case to me. Sorry, not a fan.

Diamondflame, I was thinking of mascara! :-D

I think it is absolutely breathtaking. I would buy that in a heartbeat if it were refillable--with an inner glass screw-cap type vapo system. Serge Lutens is one of the most talented Art Directors of our time. He may not be the best perfumer--but his taste and eye for structure, purity of design, and sheer innovation is unmatched in today's market. Interestingly, having known him and witnessed his career unfold he has remained true to himself from the late 70's all the way through to today. In the History of Culture, Serge Lutens will be remembered more as an Art Director than as a perfumer, just as Erte, who was a set and costume designer, is remembered today principally as an illustrator. Say what you will about it. It approaches perfection of design.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

A real photo of it, the ambre sultan one (not my own pic):

Personaly i love this japanese black lacquer, it's elegant in the pure Lutens style (recall the Nombre noir edp sprayers).

Post Thanks / Like

Personaly i love this japanese black lacquer, it's elegant in the pure Lutens style (recall the Nombre noir edp sprayers).
    I too like the design, but I'll stick with my cheapo 5mL atomisers that I can easily slip in a jacket pocket.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the price is very close to a standard 50ml bottle...

As I said before, if Serge Lutens really wanted to offer a travel size alternative, they could have simply started selling the old 15ml bottles with the new logo printed (which makes more logical sense from where I’m standing – a travel size version with more than 50% of the volume capacity of the standard bottle (and possibly just as heavy)? Hmmm…. That doesn’t quite sound right). Let’s face it – it’s a marketing ploy to make you pay the same for less juice.

So, continuing drool over the black Japanese lacquer casing (that will undoubtedly house reformulated dishwater swill). I prefer to invest my money in something far more rewarding and useful.

And no, I’m not being a killjoy – I’m just pointing out that you’re all being taken for a ride (that’s unless you’re a flacon collector or a blind Serge Lutens devotee).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Trevor, the price will be high end, whether they sell the refills which will bring them down a bit.
    DONNA

s I said before, if Serge Lutens really wanted to offer a travel size alternative, they could have simply started selling the old 15ml bottles with the new logo printed (which makes more logical sense from where I’m standing – a travel size version with more than 50% of the volume capacity of the standard bottle (and possibly just as heavy)? Hmmm…. That doesn’t quite sound right). Let’s face it – it’s a marketing ploy to make you pay the same for less juice.

So, continuing drool over the black Japanese lacquer casing (that will undoubtedly house reformulated dishwater swill). I prefer to invest my money in something far more rewarding and useful.

And no, I’m not being a killjoy – I’m just pointing out that you’re all being taken for a ride (that’s unless you’re a flacon collector or a blind Serge Lutens devotee)
    I understand your point of view but i don't really see the utility to release 15 ml glass perfumes. I would never buy a 15 ml glass decant, i prefer make it myself it will be cheap..
    No the "utility" here is to benefit the Lutens design in a pocket sprayer. Initially i though this will be devoted to the exclusive line and i was happy because i don't like those cheap decant when i put my bell jars, it breaks the ceremony lol
    The japanese lacquer will cost a little more but this material is noble and made to last longtime (that's why the make-up are so expensive too, but the refills are at the same prices of other luxury lines).
    I don't complain about the SL prices a comparing the others niches (Malle, Guerlain, etc..).. For example, if Malle were selling Iris Silver Mist it would cost at least 230 euros (it countains like 50 euros of iris).

That's a ride I'll spend my e-ticket to get on. Besides: Rides can be fun. This one provides a beautiful thing you might travel with, or hold with you at all times, which makes your life a more elegant place. Judging from the level of quality inherent in the packaging of Serge Lutens products, this small gem is built to last. (I still have and cherish my Shiseido "Femininite du Bois" Stylo--the beautiful refillable pen-- I make abstraction of the juice it contains, and consider it an objet d'art. I sincerely hope that this Vapo Tout Noir might be offered empty, or full....au choix, as it is said. Regardless, I want on that Ride. Are we not all "Taken For a Ride" when we spend our money on just about any bottle of perfume? The profit margins of any and all cosmetics companies are so legendary that they maintain Fashion Empires profitability. Since Serge Lutens is inherently a Perfumery, there is no fashion line up to support: Clearly, a large profit is being made on every sale of his product line up. In this instance, though, it's an investment. If Serge Lutens were not profitable, and in a big way, his house would be shuttered, and then all of his perfumes, and sundry creations, would eventually become as rare as a 30 flacon of Nombre Noir parfum. Small houses must make larger profits than their gigantic competitors, so steep pricing is to be expected. End Point: No matter what the cost of this "Vapo Tout Noir," if it is refillable, I'll take it--because I know--in taking it--that I will have the perfect thing of beauty to follow me around the world--wherever I go--that, when I get there, will make me feel more at home. To me, that is priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

Refillable being the key word - it's nice to have that option if the piece itself is as arresting as it looks to be. The Hermes ones come empty and in different colours of leather (still my favourite), the TDC is refillable and a work of art, By Kilian is also refillable and quite attractive, unfortunately the Malle ones are not, although there are a couple of Malle's I would happily own in the 3 x Travel size. Let's see about this one - 30ml is definitely a helpful size for travel

Upon close examination of the photo above, it appears that, woe, it may not be refillable--though I suppose there is hope that it might be: After all, the rectangular presentations have screw-on vapos, why wouldn't this? My fear is that it may come filled with one of the many comps in the range, and then these pyrex vials that slip into it would be sold separately, perhaps in sets of three, and be pressure filled/not refillable. I wonder if there is any way to find out? I will not be in Paris for another three weeks: Surely it will be available to buy at the Salons du Palais Royal for Fashion Week? I can't imagine that they would delay the official launch/inaugural availability to mere days after it ends, as this would be folly. I know where my first stop will be as soon as I get over the initial shock of jet lag! Fortunately, I live on Place du Marche Saint Honore--mere steps from Palais Royal. If this detail is not discovered before September 22, count on a news flash from me on September 23rd! I'll weedle it out of them--they know me well there--no amount of marketing hush hush will keep them from divulging the all important deets! Now....which one to buy? Quite honestly, I've a taste only for Ambre Sultan.....Every single one of the SL comps I have bought sits unused in it's box--while a single Bell Jar of Ambre Sultan will eventually get used by me to the last drop--though it takes me years to get through it. Since its advent in 1993, I have been through precisely three bell jars, and my current one is still half full. To me--this is a true extract--or was: My current bottle is now five or six years old. I wonder how it will fare under the new all-destructive reform laws?

I understand your point of view but i don't really see the utility to release 15 ml glass perfumes. I would never buy a 15 ml glass decant, i prefer make it myself it will be cheap..
    Well, that's your opinion but 15ml makes more logical sense than 30ml as a travel size (and claiming that 15ml comes across as a decant while 30ml doesn't is ludicrous).

Do you know what would have been perfectly acceptable? If these were both EMPTY and REFILLABLE. I could have swallowed that regardless of the cost (and great for those who own bell jars but wanted official atomisers). But offering something that simple is too much for Serge, isn't it? They have to also fleece the customer, and force their reformulated shite on them, in the process...

Do you know what would have been perfectly acceptable? If these were both EMPTY and REFILLABLE. I could have swallowed that regardless of the cost (and great for those who own bell jars but wanted official atomisers). But offering something that simple is too much for Serge, isn't it? They have to also fleece the customer, and force their reformulated shite on them, in the process...
    You are right to propose it it empty would be the fairest solution, at least for the bell jars, i'm not even sure they plan to release the exclusives in this format.

The new ambre sultan is still correct in my remember, not like the Cuir mauresque or Encens et lavande disasters !
    I'll get it in couple of days let's see if it's refillable.

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting the idea these will come with a fragrance glass spray. You cannot refill them but have to buy new refills each time. As I said the sa showed me them page(it had different ranges coming out soon which she sells), Feminite du Bois and Ambre Sultan each had a separate photo and details. So those are the only two being released (at the moment), I think it will depend on how well they sell if others join.

Who remembers the Fond collection????? They disappeared quite quickly, they did not sell well. They sometimes turn up on ebay and people ask on Basenotes what are they?

I am not a bottle person, could not give a monkey's as long as it sprays. I do own the stylo version of FdB and the refills. Do I think it a work of art? No, its just something that sits in its box in a drawer until I want to wear Feminite du Bois. It could be a plastic bottle for all I care.
    DONNA

So when has Serge switched from being a pioneer in the fragrance industry to a sad copycat?

Answer: Never. Serge Lutens is not, nor has he ever been, a sad copy cat. I'm afraid if votes were taken in the industry, few would cast one naming Serge Lutens "Copy Cat," whlist most would end in the "Pioneer" Basket. Thought provoking question, though.

^ By Kilian. Boo!

+1 for mascara tube. First thing I thought of.

It's non reffilable and obviously will not sold empty.
    The box countains a total of 60 ml of perfume : the vapo tout noir + 2 x 30 ml reffils.

Post Thanks / Like

So does anyone know how much they actually are?????
    DONNA

So does anyone know how much they actually are?????
    The price was posted in the Une Voix Noire thread, apparently 90€.

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumping up

Escentual have this for £63.75 for 2*30ml. Works out similar to a normal 50ml bottle.

If anybody buys this, please tell if the glass bottle inside is refillable or not?

I bought it in Paris. Not refillable. So stupid, non? to make something like that and not have the decent intentions to equip the vapo with a screw cap? It's BEAUTIFUL, though....Just gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I spotted them on www.escental.com, it does say they are not refillable.

Also spotted on ebay UK starting price around £40 for bidding.
    DONNA

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a deal breaker man. What will I do just by looking at it when I can't put any juice in it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    That's a deal breaker man. What will I do just by looking at it when I can't put any juice in it?
    Well, presumaby they will roll out 30ml refill bottles of other stuff in the line but still, strikes me as a lost opportunity for Lutens to generate goodwill and sales by not going the Hermes route.

Post Thanks / Like

Its now in House of Fraser, both fragrances. No testers or stand yet. I had to explain to the sa what they actually were, she thought totally new fragrances.
    DONNA