Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default your favorite rose

whats your favorite rose scented fragrances doesnt have to be all rose can just have a hint of it. thanks!!!

Default Re: your favorite rose

Caron Rose edp or parfum

Annick Goutal Ce Soir ou Jamais edp

Juliette Has A Gun Citizen Queen
    DONNA

Lyric Man

and

Rose Anonyme. I'm buying it in early September.

Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit. Dark, rosy chypre.

Guerlain Nahema
    Montale Highness Rose
    Montale Taif Roses
    L'Artisan Safran Troublant
    Lancome Sikkim
    Keiko Mecheri Bal de Roses
    Montale Attar

Black Aoud & C&S #88.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Oh, boy! You asked for it!

I gather that you are looking for not-too-rosy rose fragrances for yourself.
    One I like very much that is definitely unisex is Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, which is Bulgarian rose and black currant. The fragrance creates an impression of tomato stems, if you like that.

Several pricey roses suitable for men who like darker rose fragrances include: C&S Dark Rose, Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose and Malle Une Rose. You may also wish to test several of the masculine rose based perfumed by Les Parfums de Rosine: Twill Rose, Rose d'Homme and Rosissimo. The Rosine website sells 2 ml vial sample sets of any 3 or any 15 of their fragrances, and the price includes shipping.
    Less expensive masculine roses include Azzaro Acteur, which is very nice, and Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose (I do not like the latter, but some men do, and I've read where some use it for layering.)

So much for my recommendations of roses that I think many men might like.

However, you asked our personal favorites. I prefer rose perfumes that really smell like roses, and not so many men wear these.

However one that you really ought to try is Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare, which is just gorgeous. While it leans toward feminine, I do know a man who wears it. It is green, not sweet, but it definitely gives the impression of rose! Not a fresh rose, though; more like a rose liqueur.

Hmm, there is another "rose" fragrance but it doesn't much smell of roses: Hermessence Rose Ikebana. The grapefruit and wood notes are nice. Use your rose imagination on this one.

At this point I'll get into roses that are distinctly more feminine.

I like Annick Goutal Rose Absolue eau de parfum quite a lot; it is much like Montale Highness Rose but it is a bit brighter. Rose Absolue is a combination of six roses, we are told, but to me it smells mostly of rose de mai (also known as Grasse rose, rosa centifolia and cabbage rose.) If you sample this, be sure to sample the eau de parfum, not the much weaker "eau parfumée" concentration, which was introduced in 2010. The edp comes in a bottle with a gold ribbon (50 or 100 ml); the eau parfumée has a deep pink ribbon and is only 100mls as far as I have seen.

I also love one that is now hard to find: C&E Evelyn. This smells like the David Austin English rose of the same name. It was reformulated as Evelyn Rose and lost its beautiful drydown. A shame.

Then I also like Provence Santé Wild Rose. I think this may have a tiny bit of mint in it; it's sweeter than FdTRB.

Yardley English Rose is thoroughly feminine, probably too much so for most men, but I like it.

Annick Goutal Ce Soir Ou Jamais is a liqueur-like rose with a distinct note of pear. I used to wear this one but finally sold it as I preferred FdTRB. Once I knew I was smelling pear, well, it wasn't the same for me. The pear note stood out too much then.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th August 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Basenotes Plus

you go, 30 Roses!

Adding Gres Cabaret for a musky kind of Rose
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Sa Majesté la Rose - bright, fresh and dewy. Uncle Serge is said to douse himself in this one.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Rochas - Tocade
    2. Clinique - Aromatics Elixir
    3. L'Artisan - Voleur de Roses.
    4. YSL - Rive Gauche
    5. Rabanne - La Nuit
    6. Frederic Malle - Portrait of a Lady

I adore Rose de Nuit, my favorite Lutens!
    Speaking of Caron - Or et Noir is the quintessential rose for me. It does have that famed marron glacé drydown Caron is known for. However, it is a diva of a perfume!
    I'll throw in one of my summertime favorites - Amouage Lyric Woman.
    The best Guerlain rose for me is Parure Extrait, but that is unfortunately so very rare (long discontinued).
    Lumiere Noire pour Femme (Kurkdjian) and Rose Barbare (Kurkdjian for Guerlain) are not too far away from each other - superb rose-patchouli combos.
    Noir Patchouli (Histoires de Parfums) is fantastic, too, albeit a bit too sweet (chocolate-y) in the drydown for my taste. There are others- Mata Hari (if you can cope with immortelle) among this house's offerings.
    Une Rose - Malle is very good, but it does not work for me.

Paul Smith Rose - pure simple headspace rose with a soupçon of green tea
    Amouage Lyric Woman - rich, multifaceted, boozy rose
    Guerlain Idylle Duet Rose-Patchouli - perfectly balanced patch and rose, just delicious. If anyone ever wants to trade or sell I am your woman
    Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely - rose/patch/musk combo, nearest thing to Idylle Duet

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

One I like very much that is definitely unisex is Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, which is Bulgarian rose and black currant. The fragrance creates an impression of tomato stems, if you like that.

Several pricey roses suitable for men who like darker rose fragrances include: C&S Dark Rose, Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose and Malle Une Rose. You may also wish to test several of the masculine rose based perfumed by Les Parfums de Rosine: Twill Rose, Rose d'Homme and Rosissimo. The Rosine website sells 2 ml vial sample sets of any 3 or any 15 of their fragrances, and the price includes shipping.
    Less expensive masculine roses include Azzaro Acteur, which is very nice, and Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose (I do not like the latter, but some men do, and I've read where some use it for layering.)

However, you asked our personal favorites. I prefer rose perfumes that really smell like roses, and not so many men wear these.

However one that you really ought to try is Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare, which is just gorgeous. While it leans toward feminine, I do know a man who wears it. It is green, not sweet, but it definitely gives the impression of rose! Not a fresh rose, though; more like a rose liqueur.

Hmm, there is another "rose" fragrance but it doesn't much smell of roses: Hermessence Rose Ikebana. The grapefruit and wood notes are nice. Use your rose imagination on this one.

I like Annick Goutal Rose Absolue eau de parfum quite a lot; it is much like Montale Highness Rose but it is a bit brighter. Rose Absolue is a combination of six roses, we are told, but to me it smells mostly of rose de mai (also known as Grasse rose, rosa centifolia and cabbage rose.) If you sample this, be sure to sample the eau de parfum, not the much weaker "eau parfumée" concentration, which was introduced in 2010. The edp comes in a bottle with a gold ribbon (50 or 100 ml); the eau parfumée has a deep pink ribbon and is only 100mls as far as I have seen.

I also love one that is now hard to find: C&E Evelyn. This smells like the David Austin English rose of the same name. It was reformulated as Evelyn Rose and lost its beautiful drydown. A shame.

Then I also like Provence Santé Wild Rose. I think this may have a tiny bit of mint in it; it's sweeter than FdTRB.

Yardley English Rose is thoroughly feminine, probably too much so for most men, but I like it.

Annick Goutal Ce Soir Ou Jamais is a liqueur-like rose with a distinct note of pear. I used to wear this one but finally sold it as I preferred FdTRB. Once I knew I was smelling pear, well, it wasn't the same for me. The pear note stood out too much then.

you are amazing!!!! now look what youve done ive got alot of sampling to do!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

you are amazing!!!! now look what youve done ive got alot of sampling to do!!!!

Well..I'm not that into roses, but, if I have to choose, I'd go for the darker ones.
    but..
    Nahema just has to be on my list too!
    L'Ombre dans L'eau...well, that one's a fresh one too...

Midnight Oud/Black Aoud-Montale
    Voleur de Roses
    Lady Vengeance,JHAG
    I've heard there's rose in Epic by Amouage,which I love..so I guess that one counts too!

Tauer Incense Rose

Open the door.....close the door....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I just found Tom Ford's Noir de Noir- think dark chocolate covered roses!! Love it!

Probably the roses of Maitre Parfumeur & Gantier !

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

masculine- amouage lyric man
    feminine (but unisex potential)- juliet has a gun lady vengeance

Hermessence Rose Ikebana +1: it is a very fresh take on rose and probably my favorite. After the zesty grapefruit opening, a touch of rhubarb gives it a spicy dimension; perfect for the summer heat.

By Kilian Rose Oud: a gorgeous rose-saffron combination; the oud gives it the extra depth; a bit sweet.

Mohur by Neela Vermeire Creations:a softly spiced, beautiful rose.

Guerlain Rose Barbare: try this one for a great interplay between a dark-red rose and patchouli.

Have fun sampling!

It's a toss up between Guerlain's Chamade and Serge Lutens's Rose de Nuit. This could in all likelihood change, though seeing as there are an overwhelming number of rose based scents I haven't tried - Rose 31 being on the top of my list.

Rose Oud.
    Last edited by Alvus; 30th August 2012 at 04:41 AM.

I don't have one yet. I need to try more I guess. I just find a lot of roses are flat and blah. I don't know..haven't found 'the one' lol. I would love to..but haven't.. I don't want a green rose I don't think...I just want a full, dark realistic rose. No green. No spice..no sweet notes added..woody rose may be ok..Any recs?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Maybe Une Rose by Frederic Malle, kalli.

I do like Freddie from what I have smelled, will seek this one out. Thanks 30R, you are a real doll, much love and hugs to you!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Go on yerself 30! I will add to this my beloved Voleur de Roses

I prefer my rose to not be a soliflore. If I would have to pick a soliflore then it would be Sa Majeste la Rose.

My favourites:
    OJ Ta'if
    Drole de Rose
    Lipstick Rose
    Citizen Queen
    Rose Etoille d'Hollande
    Rose Ikebana

Black Aoud. Hated it at first though!

La Môme by Balmain. Smoky, melting, beautiful.

Basenotes Plus

There are a couple of others that I don't see listed, Rose de Attar by Keiko Mecheri and Rose Splendide by Annick Goutal.

Diptyque's Eau Rose

#1 Lyric for Women by Amouage
    #2 (and close runner up) La Rose Jacqueminot by Coty (long discontinued)

I could name dozens of rose perfumes that I adore, but the ones at the very top of my list are -

By Kilian Rose Oud
    Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie
    Frederic Malle Portrait of a Lady
    Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    Etat Libre d'Orange Rossy de Palma
    Gucci L'Arte di Gucci
    Caron Or et Noir
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumière Noire pour Femme
    Juliette Has a Gun Lady Vengeance
    Cartier So Pretty
    Parfums de Rosine Rose Kashmirie
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Ralph Lauren Safari
    Calvin Klein Calvin Klein for women
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Sa Majesté la Rose - bright, fresh and dewy. Uncle Serge is said to douse himself in this one.
    This is not what I have read in a recent interview with the great man. Apparently, he very rarely wears fragrances, but when he does it is always Cuir Mauresque.
    I am currently wearing what imo is the loveliest rose -- Rossy de Palma

Sa majestè la rose - S. Lutens
    Rose - Caron
    Paris - YSL

Quote Originally Posted by Claire811 View Post
    Sa majestè la rose - S. Lutens
    Rose - Caron
    Paris - YSL
    Yes - completely agree - also N'Aimez Que Moi, Or et Noir, La Rose de Rosine, Parfum Sacree

@30 Roses: I love your rosy list!

My current favorite roses:
    FM Une Rose: a whole rose plant, freshed pulled out of garden
    Les Parfums de Rosine Ecume de Rose: fresh rose with salty sea-side air
    Montale Rose Petals: my favorite oud+rose combo
    Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule: sandalwood rose, very wearable without being too rosy
    Annick Goutal Rose Splendide: not quite rosy but it has a green and slightly sweet aroma, very attractive
    Caron Parfum Sacre: incense rose with a lot of black pepper, full of characters

La Fille de Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by MorganFay View Post
    La Fille de Berlin
    Please tell us more about it, I'm very curious to hear some reviews.

I'm not a rose person, but find Red Roses by Jo malone very attractive.

I've been searching for many years.
    I think my preferate is Donna from Lorenzo Villoresi......think dark velvety "blood~red" roses without too much else.
    Also worth searching out is Rose Intensive from Seveline. A natural, (bio) rose fragrance. A steal at only €9 for 50ml edp !!!
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.