Code of Conduct

Default Thanks, BN veterans

As you can see, I haven't been on here for long. I've never really been into fragrances before, but my wife and I went to Hawaii for our ten-year anniversary this summer, and I wanted a scent to take with that we would both enjoy and that we'd remember our trip every time I wore it (we ended up on Mont Blanc Legend...I know, not really a "Hawaiian beach" scent, but it's the one we liked).

Anyway, as I researched scents, I was fascinated with all the information and variety out there. I've said this before, but I'm a teacher, so I love learning...and boy, was I!! The more I read, the more I was pulled in...and now I'm on the hunt for seasonal scents, formal scents, you name it.

I am a member of another forum that's run similarly to this (for sports, not scents). While I enjoy that forum, the long-time members can be jerkish to newbies. If a question is asked that's been asked a thousand times before, people will scream at the guy to use the "search" button instead of bothering them...rather than answering his question (or just ignoring it if they're tired of answering it). I haven't seen that here. In my brief time, I've used the "search" button numerous times, and found how often some questions get asked...but there are dozens (sometimes hundreds) of honest, courteous responses each time.

So...thanks to you veterans for putting up with us noobs and dealing with our inexperienced ways and/or questions (and not making fun of me for calling Legend my Hawaii scent ). That's the way you help people learn and grow...you just don't see many people take the time to help (patiently) like this anymore. I hope that all of us who have joined the fragrance world (and the BN forum) in the last few months will remember this and behave the same way years down the road when WE'RE the veterans.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Thanks, BN veterans

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    we ended up on Mont Blanc Legend...I know, not really a "Hawaiian beach" scent, but it's the one we liked.
    That's all that matters and congrats on the milestone!

In many ways, I still consider myself a newbie and often ask myself for advice with curiosity, humility and amazement towards any Basenoters (not just the veteran ones, since anyone has taught me so much about fragrance and beyond and still does). I guess the general rule of thumb is that everyone here is significantly open-minded, communicative, unbiased, helpful regarding virtually any fragrance advice.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    So...thanks to you veterans for putting up with us noobs and dealing with our inexperienced ways and/or questions (and not making fun of me for calling Legend my Hawaii scent ).
    Absolutely nothing to make fun of at all - it's great you found something that appealed to you both.
    Also good to hear of your growing enthusiasm amd hope the array of future discoveries includes many highlights. Really glad you feel comfortable seeking advice and hope you will feel free to do so as your interest develops further.
    Good luck, and most importantly - enjoy

PS - a (belated) Happy Anniversary !
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 26th August 2012 at 09:09 PM.

Welcome to Oz

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Congragulations. And yes, BN is a great place and just about every one there is willing to assist.

don't be so cynical. there are lots of great people around the internet, as long as the culture of the environment allows them to shine through. I'm sure there are quite a few nice people right here on basenotes who totally get on peoples nerves on other boards

congrats on the purchase.

Banned

We were all newbies at one time, and most of us can empathize.

Unfortunately, most of the real veterans are gone but, yes, thanks to all of those hardcore members that still make this community otustanding with their most vaslued contribution...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Welcome! Which island did you go to? I used to live in Oahu and I'm actually going there in a week!
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I too was compelled to continue sampling because of all the online resources, especially the reviews. Eventually, if you continue, you'll get to the point where you can "deconstruct" a frag and place it in context, but whether you will enjoy the "hobby" more at that time or while everything is still new is impossible to say. Enjoy the ride!

Bigsly: That's kind of what started this for me. As I began researching for a Hawaiian scent, I realized that this could EASILY become a hobby I could wrap myself into. Seeing as I don't considering myself having many "hobbies," this was easy to jump into with both feet. I'm sure that will fade a bit as time goes by, but it's a blast right now.

Mesaboogie: We went to Hawaii Island (the Big Island). Our agent landed us an awesome deal at the Fairmont Orchid, so we stayed there for a week. It was an amazing time...that was mid-July, and we're STILL on a vacation high!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

This makes me happy to be a part of this community. I am still amazed by everyone's willingness to help.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Welcome! Which island did you go to? I used to live in Oahu and I'm actually going there in a week!
    This has nothing to do with the thread but I was drinking some tea and I spit it out when I read your top five, haha. Axe Kilo cracks me up!

this topic haz already been covered.
    doo a search n0ob!

j/k

welcome to the forum! (note my sig quote from a fellow member. It struck me as an important feeling to foster when I first joined and I've posted with it ever since)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Welcome and we hope to see more of you!

This is one of the friendliest forums around - and it's only gotten better. ( I know some will disagree on that point, but at least from 2007-now it's been my perception, despite the loss of some treasured members. )

Update: I HAVE to share these stories...I'll be as quick as I can, but I want the entire story told so you see what kind of experience I've had in a month here. I won't include actual names for their privacy.

Story 1: I had three bottles of cologne I wasn't that interested in. A veteran offered to trade me one bottle that I wanted for the three I didn't. This guy also sells samples, so I asked if he would include a few so I could try some new ones (and keep learning what I like/don't like). He said sure and asked which ones I wanted. He had SO MANY that I needed to know how many he was willing to part with before I could narrow down my list. Ultimately, I made a list of my Top Ten choices from his stock and told him to pick a few to send. He not only included all ten, but added three more when it was all said and done. When I thanked him and said he didn't have to do all of that, he said that someone here at BN did it for him when he first started out, so he was kind of "paying it forward."

Story 2: I bought a 4 ML decant of Aventus on ebay, and it was a bad experience (entirely different thread). A BN veteran read my post and sent me a PM. In it, he said that he would like to send me a decant of his batch of Aventus. AND...since shipping one scent/sample is a waste of space (his words), he also included samples of Allure Homme Sport, Terre d'Hermes, Spicebomb, and original Egoiste. Free. No strings. Didn't even ask me to pay shipping (which I MORE than offered to do). Why? Because he had too many scents sitting around, and he simply wanted to help a newbie find his way. He also used the phrase "pay it forward."

Where else do you find a community like this? I've been floored in just a month, and as I told these two guys, I hope that in a few years, I'll have the same chance to "pay it forward" for some newbie.