Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb To find a Signature, or to wear a multitude ????

So in my months...several months here now, I've somehow become lost. I used to be soo happy with minimal, very simple scents such as wearing curve all the time, but now not so much. I looked to find that I now own over 15 different colognes. When you start off you start to look and find and experiment with new notes, new smells. I settled on drakkar as my business cologne although I'm young, because somehow as an auditor, and a person who always wears a suite it almost demands attention. I still can't find that day cologne though for normal out and about wear yet. I have sooo many colognes, and I've almost lost sight of whether or not the goal was to own a million colognes, or to rather find that perfect scent that exudes both my personality and that which i hope to become.

Do you all have a signature scent, or do you find that your cologne of choice for the day changes with the wind ? I'd like to see how you feel about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: To find a Signature, or to wear a multitude ????

I try to wear something different each day. I have a short attention span and bore easily.

Also try to wear something different each day

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Every day different - variety is the spice of life

I like as others to wear a different frag each day otherwise I get bored.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

each day is differant i have my fragrances for days nights work clubbing dating but i never wear the same thing back to back gets boring unless its portrait of a lady.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

l think you'll find that most, if not all of us, have a variety of scents to choose from each day. And often different scents for different occasions/situations. You don't eat the same food or wear the same clothes every day, so why should your choice of scent be any different?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i am also on team ' different fragrance each day'

as others have said, it may become boring to wear the same scent each and everyday.

in addition to the above sentiment, it is best to allow others to understand you are a man/woman of many expressions, which other way best to show this besides your fragrance?

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure you have heard all the analogies. I can only speak for myself. As you put it, the goal is not to have a million colognes. It is to have a variety of scents that will fit my moods and personality as they change. Cologne makes me feel comfortable. I like that. I may be in sweatpants, a suit or a tuxedo, but I will be wearing cologne.

Post Thanks / Like

I have several perfumes but I tend to go through phases of wearing just one. Somethims the phase will last a few days, and I'm on to the next. Sometimes it can last a week or two... Then I may go through a phase where I wear a different one each day. So, Idefinitely love having options, even if it means that I stick to a particular scent for a while.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Every day different - variety is the spice of life
    Exactly. I have some fragrances that I wear much more often than others but, as a general rule, I tend to apply something different every day...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l think you'll find that most, if not all of us, have a variety of scents to choose from each day. And often different scents for different occasions/situations. You don't eat the same food or wear the same clothes every day, so why should your choice of scent be any different?
    well put

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I initially thought new fragrance everyday, changing scent up to three times per day was fun, and it is, if you're into it, but I've grown tired of that!

For those into collecting and sampling, having tons of scents is great. I'd rather have 2-4 everyday scents to choose from per season with a couple of special occasion or mood fragrances. Switching fragrance everyday is not sustainable and takes a lot of sampling, buying, and all of that; great if you want to stick with the hobby, not so much if you'd rather focus on something else and just enjoy the wearing! Plus wearing the same thing over and over creates memories and associations.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wear different fragrances depending on my mood, whether I am a work, home, or going out. I rotate as much as possible but I wish I could settle for one so called, 'signature scent.' It would be so much easier and cheaper.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I would get so bored with only one cologne. Variety is indeed the spice of life.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

One reason I no longer wear the same scent more than 3 days running is that I get anosmic to it and start spraying more on. This is a waste of juice and potentially hazardous to people in my immediate vicinity as they can smell the fume cloud- but I might not.
    Changing scents often keeps my nose sharper.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

In my case, it's rather a "signature rotation", a sort of "signature multitude" of roughly up to 20-30 staple frags I wear more or less regularly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to vary my fragrances everyday. I wear three different perfumes a day sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite having a fair collection now I can understand anyone being happy with a signature - for several years all I wore was Crabtree & Evelyn Santal Mysore EDT, until the Sandalwood supplies dried up, and it worked for me fine.

I have landed at a point where I could happily live with a dozen or so + a few special ones, classics, just to know they are there.

I originally wanted a signature scent myself. The more I tried to wear the same thing every day, the more I got tired of it. I tend to wear something different everyday now.

Post Thanks / Like

I also came here originally looking for a signature. But I've come to realize that I'm a total perfume floosie.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Every day I work like a dog and sweat like a pig. So far, the only thing I have found that is still with me after 8 hours is Terre d'Hermes. And after that time, the Iso e super smells way better than the real me. So that's what I spray every morning for 5 days a week.

Then I come home, shower, and indulge my mood to the limits of my small collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Never wanted a signature. I prefer indulging in vastly different scents.

Post Thanks / Like

You present these two things - having a signature or wearing a multitude - as if they were mutually exclusive choices. Perhaps the way I feel about a signature scent is a little different, but I think it is possible to do both because to me a signature is not simply a perfume you wear all the time. There are many men in my area who wear Rive Gauche, JPG le male, A*Men, Cool Water, Aqua di Gio, Drakkar Noir, etc, all the time, but in all but a few cases I wouldn't say it's their signature. Moreover to my mind the scent which becomes your signature is in many ways out of your hands.

To me a signature scent is the one fragrance which people identify you with, and with you; it expresses something fundemental about you in a way that clicks with you and with those you know. You need not wear it all the time.

I do a little of both, I think. My preferences change with the seasons. In winter, spring and fall I probably have 4-6 scents that I wear. Summer used to be a down time for me, but thanks to this board getting me to try different things I now have 3-4 that I really like for summer too.

Within each season I usually pick one and wear it for a couple of weeks or longer - sometimes I'll change off, a lot of times I wont.

I definitely like variety, so I don't have a signature & like to change it up daily. However, there are definitely some I end up wearing more than others over time. I also like to keep my rotation a little smaller by season, so I don't get too overwhelmed by the choices & what to wear that day.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a signature and I like to wear multitudes. I like to have my cake and eat it too.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -