Code of Conduct

Default Aventus weakening with time?

Has anyone experienced their Aventus weakening as time goes by? When I got my decant I was quite smug because I thought I had got a good batch - the stuff projected well and stayed with me pretty much the whole working day. Now I can't pick anything up after about 4 hours. It's also nothing to do with fatigue or general madness as I don't wear it often at all and I've asked others to smell.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Aventus weakening with time?

I'm sort of feeling the same way about my Aventus.
    What I'm wondering about though is, does it stale with time, and then freshen up and "live again" if you use it frequently?

At first I'd let it stand by itself (dark and not too hot / humid obviously) for about a month. I wore it, and it seemed to have lost a lot of power and projection. Then I proceeded to wear it several times that week, and I can remember it sort of getting back into its awesome Aventus-stride, leading me to speculate about it "needing" to be used / gain oxygen or something.

Either that, or my mind is playing tricks and mine too is just giving up. I have an 11-batch, cx I think.

Sorry, no insult but the reason why I probably will never buy Aventus is because I'm already getting really sick and tired just reading about it time and time again...

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    Sorry, no insult but the reason why I probably will never buy Aventus is because I'm already getting really sick and tired just reading about it time and time again...

Point taken - it does seem to feature quite a bit around here. Guess people find it frustrating to love a frag which behaves like a hormonal teenager.

Aventus slowly builds up to become a nearly animalistic twisted kinky monster, but "de gustibus non disputandum est..."
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Aventus is about the only frag in my collection that I have to wear maybe once a month only. My nose and I know many others get used to it very fast and I don't smell it after say 30 minutes. The smell is still there however and others smell it strongly still. For a while I would just spray some on my nylon backpack and it would smell up my office for a week.
    I would guess you are just getting used to I, maybe give it a break or slower rotation, also spray it far from your nose! On a seatbelt,shirt or backpack it's on there for a week.
    Last edited by Quiptos; 31st August 2012 at 03:46 AM.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Aventus is hard for me to really enjoy due to it's asnomic qualities. I just can't smell it after a while. And if I wear enough to smell it, I'm probably going to smother others. I faced the same issues with Gendarme and Bleecker Street. Great smell then...where is it?
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I have to agree, I find that mine is a bit weaker than when I got it originally.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel! Edit: 2015... I've given up and given in
    Want to buy or swap: A*men Ultra Zest, Bentley Intense, Mont Blanc Legend Intense, Paco Rabanne Invictus,

I've had no problem with its longevity.

Banned

I have a scent with average strength called Aventus for two years now, and it preserved its mediocrity over the whole timeframe.

I have also owned a green-coloured Eau Sauvage Parfum for more than 2 months now and it hasn't changed its colour.

Banned

Its major notes are very volatile. Maybe the top notes have gone.
    Last edited by Alvus; 30th August 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Sorry no offense but you saw the topic and yet proceeded to open it and read it and then turned around and complain about yet another aventus post. I don't know who is worse, the people that constantly feel the need to open countless aventus threads or those who just have to read the thread and then bitch about doing so as if they are forced to read it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Sorry no offense but you saw the topic and yet proceeded to open it and read it and then turned around and complain about yet another aventus post. I don't know who is worse, the people that constantly feel the need to open countless aventus threads or those who just have to read the thread and then bitch about doing so as if they are forced to read it.
    Word!

And, the OP might have tipped his hand with the following remark:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Point taken - it does seem to feature quite a bit around here. Guess people find it frustrating to love a frag which behaves like a hormonal teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    What I'm wondering about though is, does it stale with time, and then freshen up and "live again" if you use it frequently?

At first I'd let it stand by itself (dark and not too hot / humid obviously) for about a month. I wore it, and it seemed to have lost a lot of power and projection. Then I proceeded to wear it several times that week, and I can remember it sort of getting back into its awesome Aventus-stride, leading me to speculate about it "needing" to be used / gain oxygen or something.

Either that, or my mind is playing tricks and mine too is just giving up. I have an 11-batch, cx I think.
    Not sure if airing actually works with Aventus. I opening up my decant and left it open for a short while in the hope that it would get as much air as it needed. No change.

Fortunately for me Aventus is not my favourite frag. Otherwise I would be super sad face.

Aventus lasts a very long time on my skin but like others I can't smell it after awhile. There have been times where 5-6 hours later I would get compliments on it and couldn't smell a trace of it. It's the perfect example of a fragrance generating olfactory fatigue IMO.

I came about |-----| <-- this close to spitting my coffee out on my screen when I read that. You Aventus fans crack me up. I wish there was a subforum devoted to Aventus paranoia threads, not being sarcastic. These threads provide endless entertainment.

Aventus seems to me to be somewhat like Jub XXV. After 30 min I swear it's almost disappeared, but people around me swear they can smell it. Just trust your Aventus is fine.. we've all seen enough "I got sent home from work today" threads to know that the problem is not your Aventus but your anosmia.

Harry Potter is the official spokesperson for Aventus. It's magic!
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I noticed the same weakening with my bottle. I thought it was just me. Now I know it is a Creed problem. I will not be purchasing another bottle of Aventus.

Rubbish...

I have a K01 batch and over the past year mine has gotten much much MUCH stronger and potent to the point of being cloying with only 2 sprays. I used to have to put 5 squirts of this stuff but now im doing 1 to 2 so i dont offend anyone including myself. It is very potent now.

I have X02 and Z01 batches of Aventus, which are generally considered to be the two best made so far. I never get olfactory fatigue from either batch of Aventus.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I have... Z01 batches of Aventus... I never get olfactory fatigue from either batch of Aventus.
    Same here. I've been sampling a lot, so I only wear my C42B110Z01 batch once every couple weeks. But, when I do wear it, I pick up wafts of it throughout the entire day.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    You're right about that, I did open the thread, read it and reacted on it totally voluntary and not at gunpoint, but sometimes it just feels SO good to vent your frustration... And just like I think everyone has the right to voice their opinion regardless if I get frustrated by it or not I think I have that right too regardless of people get frustrated by it or not... Oh, and I didn't force you to react to my post did I...?

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Word!

And, the OP might have tipped his hand with the following remark:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Ah, I didn't know we were playing games, if I knew I would have withdrawn right away since I prefer more mature games... And although that picture is really cute I'm afraid I have to disappoint you by saying I'm not a hater of Aventus AT ALL. I actually kinda like the fragrance, it's just the constant nagging about it that tires me. You know, In fact I think I might even like it MORE than most of the people posting about it since the majority of the posts are complaints about longevity issues and bad batches, things I haven't got a problem with at all with this fragrance...

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    I came about |-----| <-- this close to spitting my coffee out on my screen when I read that.
    Now that ^^^^^ was funny LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I have X02 and Z01 batches of Aventus, which are generally considered to be the two best made so far. I never get olfactory fatigue from either batch of Aventus.
    If memory serves, I have Z01 as well. I don't get olfactory fatigue per se, but most days it seems that I can smell it a lot better just in the air as opposed to when I put my face down on my wrist to sniff it. I'll keep thinking I've gone asnomic and then catching a whiff of it as I work on the computer.

I got one of the first bottles from the first batches. It still smells the same. But then I also dont encounter many of the batch variations from various samples..
    -

How often you use it has no effect on the juice in the bottle. To me, this sounds like a classic case of olfactory fatigue. I enjoy Aventus very much, but I only wear it twice a week, partly because I don't want to get so used to it that I don't smell it anymore.

The brain is a brilliant organ. The reason you start to not notice consistent smells over time is because your brain is trying to protect you. It filters out certain constants and pays more attention to variables. It's a defense mechanism. You may not notice your scent after a while, but if there's a fire, you'd hopefully notice the smoke long before it's too late.

When I was a kid, I lived in the country and my best friend lived 20 minutes away in the city. My house had well water, he had city water. The first time I hung out at his place, I couldn't believe how funky the water tasted. He didn't notice. Eventually, he moved to the country too had got used to the clean well water. And then one day he and I were hanging out with another friend in the city. You can guess what happened next: he'd become so used to how water is SUPPOSED to taste that when he tasted the funky city water again, he instantly noticed the difference.

The brain notices change and it pays far less attention to constants. This is why I think it's better to have a few different scents and alternate them rather than wearing the same one every day.

Long story short: your Aventus is fine.

sigh, more polarizing behavior with Aventus. It's a hell of a fragrance, if they only made it more "evident," it'd be great, all this variation/misbehavior/inconsistency is damaging its legend.

Basenotes Junkie

By now I've ascribed it to my brain playing tricks on me.

I'd like to add that i mostly can't even detect fragrances if I put them on my neck. It seems my brain quickly just shuts off smells that close - and if I apply to my wrist, I have to get real close to smell it -even heavy powerhouse scents.

So - is your Aventus borked? Probably not. Wear it and be happy.