Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Unisex fragrances?

I've never actually smelled a unisex frangrance before, but I just don't understand the concept. Why would you want to smell like a co-worker of the opposite sex? I just think it would be awkward if you both showed up to work with the same scent.

Has anybody (or does anybody) used/use a unisex fragrance? Would you recommend any? Thanks for the future input!

Dependent

Default Re: Unisex fragrances?

i wear female fragrances men and unisex to me its not about the classification its what i enjoy if your comfortable with what your wearing who cares..... my favorite unisex in my collection has to be acqua di parma sicilia try it out i love it!!!

I'd recommend, among others, Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte and Mugler Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I'd recommend, among others, Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte and Mugler Cologne.
    Word. Hermes also has Pamplemousse Rose and that Jardin series that squarely hit the unisex mark. And, Bond No. 9 has some good frags, with the majority of them falling right in the middle of unisex to me. Sometimes that prevents me from wanting to wear them, but I see the appeal.

Those Hermes ones are the bomb, though. Check them out if you can.

Basenotes Plus

I live by the principle that all fragrance is unisex and disregard gender marketing completely, My recommendation - ignore packaging and try everything. Broaden your horizons and you will find many things you previously thought "off-limits" to be perfectly wearable.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 30th August 2012 at 07:20 PM.

I wear unisex fragrances as well as masculine and feminine ones. I don't see the problem...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I live by the principle that all fragrance is unisex and disregard gender marketing completely, My recommendation - ignore packaging and try everything. Broaden your horizons and you will find many things you previously thought "off-limits" to be perfectly wearable.
    YEP

Scents rarely smell exactly the same on everyone so if you & a co-worker both wear the same scent one day probably no one will notice-or think you are having an affair LOL

I also wear all types of scent- no one has accused me of being a cross dresser when I wear Egoiste yet
    Last edited by knit at nite; 30th August 2012 at 08:46 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I just think it would be awkward if you both showed up to work with the same scent.
    Well, if you both turned up in Angel, I'd agree.
    There are THOUSANDS of fragrances out there - why would you both show up to work wearing the same one?
    A unisex fragrance.. well, where do I begin... what's a masculine fragrance? Citrus, wood and bitter greenery? Rough leather? Then what does that make Bandit by Piguet? You seeeeeee. Fragrances don't have sacks or flaps. It is a smell.

I wear Chanel Bois des Iles, Sycomore and Coromandel all the time. They're marketed as female fragrances, however, they wear quite nicely as a man. I've never had a single person say I smelled like a female, only that I smelled quite nice. I don't see the problem in wearing feminine/unisex fragrances as a man. It's up to personal preference. Personally, I'd never wear anything heavy on powder but that's the only place I draw the line.

Has anybody (or does anybody) used/use a unisex fragrance?
    I have used many. Just basically safely worn by anyone.

Most companys now are producing unisex scents that are neutral in their gender association.

The fragrance industry heavily markets with sex, and there for gender plays a big part in that. But, fragrance is really a lot more like food: something to savor and enjoy, and not inherently gendered. Sure, everyone has different tastes, but liking the same fragrance is really no more awkward than both liking lemon meringue pie.

Basenotes Plus

I just think it would be awkward if you both showed up to work with the same scent.
    Doesn't mean it will smell the same. Body chemistry can easily change how a scent will smell.

As said by many here, perfume is becoming more gender neutral, no matter how it is marketed.

Back in the day, a man would never wear Cardinal Flower, yet today, many men including myself enjoy wearing this fragrance. Heck, my SOTD is Diptyque Do Son, which is a Tuberose bomb.

Genders on perfumery are subject of long discussions. I basically use what I like. A great part of niche perfumery is unisex. Try Hermes unisex lines, Bvlgari Black, Eau de Cartier, Agua de Loewe, Eau de Campagne.

Basenotes Junkie

I used to rock CK One all the time when I was a teenager, but now unisex fragrances don't appeal to me as much. I want to smell like a man. I do own one unisex fragrance now: Bvlgari Black, but I don't think it smells very feminine. I would be really surprised to smell it on a woman.

In a clear glass bottle, from plain packaging, and with no labels and no marketing there is no such thing as a femenine or masculine fragrance. It's true that, say, fougeres are more likely to appeal to men than women and vice-versa white florals, but the idea that certain notes or compositions belong to one gender or the other (what about people who refuse cisgendered classifications, or transgendered persons?) is entirely about marketing and asthetics viz a viz packaging, bottle design, name, etc., largely because it is much easier to market something to a single gender. Generally by asserting that it will attract the opposite sex. According to a scientific study though both genders rate some very universal things (vanilla being the standout) as the most sexy odours, and most of the classic olfactory aphrodisiacs like rose, bergamot, ylang-ylang, orris root, clary sage, vanilla, and musk are said to effect both sexes, and are frequently found in both masculine and femenine compositions. So even if your mission is solely to smell attractive there is no point getting locked in to the masculine/femenine dichotomy.

I wear scents marketed at women, and often recieve more compliments than when I wear masculine scents. Opium, Tabu, Bandit, Visa, Jolie-Madame, Tabac Blonde, Mitsouko, Jicky, Perles de Lalique, Apres l'ondee, Arpege, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Obsession, Cool Water (for women), Eau de Givenchy, and Pamplelune, Winter Delice and Herba Fresca from the Aqua Allegoria series. Among others. All work for me.

I wear scents which are marketed as unisex, or at either men or women depending on the store/outlet/review such as Eau de Caron, Eau de Lalique, Cologne du 68, Into the Blue, Eau de Guerlain, the Commes des Garcon Cologne series, Gingembre, Kiel's Original Musk, CK Be, Eau Torride, and more.

Moreover among those scents I own which are marketed as masculine there are many which I know women enjoy. Some my fiance is constantly pilfering (Lanvin L'homme, Casran and Xeryus Rouge) and among the women I know many will stop by before a night out to 'spritz up,' apropos of my collection which has become something of a scent library for them. Some of these might seem very unlikely; Azzaro Pour Homme for example appeals to a girl I know (she also likes Knize Ten and 1740 Marquis de Sade), and Givenchy Gentleman - often described as a very, very masculine powerhouse - smells incredible on a woman in its modern, reformulated form, though some women even wear the vintage. I know women who wear Cool Water, Cool Water Deep, Green Irish Tweed, Aventus, and many fresh vetiver scents especially such as Original Vetiver by Creed and Roger & Gallet's vetiver cologne. Others I've come across include Eau Savage, Sables, Avant Garde, Le 3me Homme, Lanvin L'homme, Van Cleef & Arpel's Pour Homme, Guerlain Pour Homme, Heritage, Midnight in Paris, Obsession for men, Mandarina Duck Man, Jovan Musk for men, Dirty English, Lalique White, Signoricci, Joop! Rococo (the masculine iteration), Go, Jump, Nightflight and Pour Homme.

If you're feeling timid about trying a femenine or unisex fragrance they will seem most distinct when blended with your bodies natural odour so use them without anti-perspirant, applied to sweat zones during summer. There is a substantial difference between male and female body odours so the effect will be worlds apart from a woman wearing the same scent. Further bear in mind that even if you only wear masculine scents there will still be many people who consider them unisex, and many women probably enjoy them as well. Moreover many scents marketed at women or men have a pyramid which is little different to other scents marketed at men, or women.

I touched on this above, but many scents even swing back and forth. At my local perfume store for example Givenchy's Into the Blue sits next to One Man Show in the masculine fragrances area, while at other stores it is shelved amoung femenine scents. Almost all colognes were traditionally unisex, but some like Eau du Coq and Imperialle are now sold as masculine, while some femenine scents like Jicky were worn almost entirely by men for many years after their release.

In the end you just spray it on, and see how you feel. If it feels right so be it. Until perhaps five years ago I was more wary of women's scents (although I was happy to wear stuff like Bandit which is widely aknowledged as unisex), but one day when I decided to test the 'cologne spray,' of Tabu for my sister (who is a fan of the vintage) I found that as I was going about my business wearing it the fragrance felt, and smelled right. In another store a sales rep asked me if I was wearing Opium Pour Homme, 'I've never thought much of it but it smells great on you.' well I'd love to say I was brave enough to tell her I was wearing Dana's infamous drug store cheapie, but I just nodded, smiled and agreed. Opium Pour Homme indeed. Nowdays I would happily admit the truth.

Someone earlier mentioned food. Would you avoid a food you loved because someone told you it was for women? Would you avoid colours like pink and red in clothing because you feel they're women-only? Order a salad in a pink shirt wearing women's perfume. I promise it won't dent your masculinity in the slightest.

I'd feel awkward if I noticed I was wearing the same fragrance as anyone, male or female. But that hardly ever happens, regardless of what gender fragrance one wears. Just keep from wearing the top 5s.

I just don't understand the concept

I think what the story with unisex is, is this:

Back in the day, there was not a very wide range of things made for men. And most feminine things were floral.

But now there is a much wider range of things, with a much wider variety of smells : perfumers have become more creative, and produced new smells that are exciting, but don't always match up with those old-time categories.

So how should we decide, and who should decide if these new-smelling things are for men or women ?

Will we feel more confident if someone else to makes the judgment for us, by putting a pink or blue bow on the bottle ?

Or are we confident enough to decide for ourselves ?
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 31st August 2012 at 04:47 PM.

I just don't understand the concept.
    The concept is that it is a fragrance that is not designed specifically for, or marketed to, just men or just women, but can be worn by either, or both.

Basenotes Plus

WHERE are my manners? WELCOME to Basenotes, mlsweeney! Sniff in good health and enjoy your scent journey....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Like others have mentioned, the same frag may smell slightly different on different individuals.

Never really thought about it being unisex. I guess it is for marketing purposes. Like how there is a male and female razor. I'm sure there really is no difference in that.

Last time I looked fragrances don't have genitalia!!

They assume a gender largely because of marketing rather than actual composition. Read the fragrance notes and you'll notice striking similarities and try testing them with a friend or colleague that has no knowledge of the packaging and advertising and you'll soon find that many people, even ones who like and use perfume regularly, struggle to identify which are the 'male' and which the 'female' scents.

So, unleash yourself and don't just go where the big corporates give you permission with their patronising 'unisex' labels choose whatever you want, whenever you want and wherever you feel comfortable wearing it.

Anyone interested in a broader range of suggestions can have a look at the thread that's been running for a couple of months on here:

What female scents are even deadlier on the male?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/317...er-on-the-male
    Last edited by Assiduosity; 27th January 2013 at 11:23 PM.

I do believe that there are masculine-associated and feminine-associated scents, even if that's only in the noses of the non-Basenoter public. (They unfortunately outnumber us by quite a bit!)

But I think the real issue is that IF you postulate that there ARE masculine and feminine scents like I do, you'll find that many many "unisex" fragrances aren't unisex enough, i.e. they lean too far to one side or the other. Some are too feminine for me to wear, others are more masculine than I expected. And I figure that since I have a 50% chance of being screwed if the perfumer didn't making it neutral enough, it's not worth a blind-buy.

I kind of wish that they would just label them as masculine or feminine in these borderline cases, so I wouldn't have to go and read a bunch of basenotes reviews just to figure out if the scent leans too much to one side. But that's more out of laziness than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    I do believe that there are masculine-associated and feminine-associated scents, even if that's only in the noses of the non-Basenoter public. (They unfortunately outnumber us by quite a bit!)

But I think the real issue is that IF you postulate that there ARE masculine and feminine scents like I do, you'll find that many many "unisex" fragrances aren't unisex enough, i.e. they lean too far to one side or the other. Some are too feminine for me to wear, others are more masculine than I expected. And I figure that since I have a 50% chance of being screwed if the perfumer didn't making it neutral enough, it's not worth a blind-buy.

I kind of wish that they would just label them as masculine or feminine in these borderline cases, so I wouldn't have to go and read a bunch of basenotes reviews just to figure out if the scent leans too much to one side. But that's more out of laziness than anything else.
    I raise my eyebrow slightly here.

I'm not so sure that the wider community are the ones who fret so much about whether a fragrance is 'feminine' or 'masculine'.

Quite a lot of people pay no heed at all and will simply register that one is wearing a fragrance, without venturing further into any olfactory engagement.

Many others would find many groups of perfumes difficult to place into a 'male' / 'female' dynamic even if they were asked to.

As a simple test, I wonder how many non perfume heads would be able to place the following 5 into the 'correct' category:

Cuir de Russie
    Bandit
    Mitsouko
    No 19
    Sycomore

Or indeed these:

Spicebomb
    A*men
    Light Blue for Men
    Declaration d'Un Soir
    Hammam Bouquet

My guess (and actual experience) is mixed to say the least.

To my mind, it's more than likely that it's actually perfume enthusiasts that worry about such things, unnecessarily, as the rest of the world happily goes about it's business, with a lot of 'assistance' from the marketing folks.

How else would one explain the shift in 'women's fragrance' from chypres to 'fruit squash' and men from leather and tobacco to aquatics and citrus with a gourmand or two?

Perfume only got a gender with Jicky and that was a very confused one - the introduction of a sex divide in scents is a recent and unwelcome intrusion into our pleasure.

If it smells good, I want to wear it.

You wouldn't smell like a coworker of the opposite sex.
    I see them more as neutral with a scent. To be honest, most of them tend to lean more towards one side (masculine, feminine)

Personally I love the genderless tendency, more common with niche houses I guess. As many pointed out before me, spices do not have a specific gender, and even if flowers traditionally dont get to play lead in the manliest of fragrances , they are Usually there.
    Cant encourage you enough to try around, maybe youll find a new perfume love, maybe not. But dont miss out on the opportunity because of old habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post

You don't need to read anything; or do you always need someone else to tell you what to do? Just go and smell the bloody stuff; and if you like it, wear it!

It's not for them to tell me what to do. And yes, I do like to read things first about a scent. It's for me to get more information on whether it will likely or unlikely be to my tastes for everyday wear, and therefore worth my while to actually go and try. The gender information is useful to me because the companies' "masculine/feminine" correlates well with what I will like. My collection is already big enough, with enough favorites that I love, that I don't want to spend time on things that I will only barely/maybe like, whether the company calls them masculine, feminine, unisex, for purple-skinned people only, or for giraffes. It's not _because_ they call it that.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Millesime Imperial is something any person on this planet can wear (if they are able and willing to afford it).

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    This.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Overcome By Fumes

I've never actually smelled a unisex frangrance before, but I just don't understand the concept. Why would you want to smell like a co-worker of the opposite sex? I just think it would be awkward if you both showed up to work with the same scent.

Has anybody (or does anybody) used/use a unisex fragrance? Would you recommend any? Thanks for the future input!
    Wow, mlsweeney! You've come a long way in 6 months! 4 unisex fragrances in your wardrobe already! Excellent!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Wow, mlsweeney! You've come a long way in 6 months! 4 unisex fragrances in your wardrobe already! Excellent!
    Haha thanks! I made this 1-2 weeks after my join date and boy was I wrong on my assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Millesime Imperial is something any person on this planet can wear (if they are able and willing to afford it).
    Came to post this, LOVE MI....

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Came to post this, LOVE MI....

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miket View Post
    in a clear glass bottle, from plain packaging, and with no labels and no marketing there is no such thing as a femenine or masculine fragrance. It's true that, say, fougeres are more likely to appeal to men than women and vice-versa white florals, but the idea that certain notes or compositions belong to one gender or the other (what about people who refuse cisgendered classifications, or transgendered persons?) is entirely about marketing and asthetics viz a viz packaging, bottle design, name, etc., largely because it is much easier to market something to a single gender. Generally by asserting that it will attract the opposite sex. According to a scientific study though both genders rate some very universal things (vanilla being the standout) as the most sexy odours, and most of the classic olfactory aphrodisiacs like rose, bergamot, ylang-ylang, orris root, clary sage, vanilla, and musk are said to effect both sexes, and are frequently found in both masculine and femenine compositions. So even if your mission is solely to smell attractive there is no point getting locked in to the masculine/femenine dichotomy.

I wear scents marketed at women, and often recieve more compliments than when i wear masculine scents. Opium, tabu, bandit, visa, jolie-madame, tabac blonde, mitsouko, jicky, perles de lalique, apres l'ondee, arpege, spiritueuse double vanille, obsession, cool water (for women), eau de givenchy, and pamplelune, winter delice and herba fresca from the aqua allegoria series. Among others. All work for me.

I wear scents which are marketed as unisex, or at either men or women depending on the store/outlet/review such as eau de caron, eau de lalique, cologne du 68, into the blue, eau de guerlain, the commes des garcon cologne series, gingembre, kiel's original musk, ck be, eau torride, and more.

Moreover among those scents i own which are marketed as masculine there are many which i know women enjoy. Some my fiance is constantly pilfering (lanvin l'homme, casran and xeryus rouge) and among the women i know many will stop by before a night out to 'spritz up,' apropos of my collection which has become something of a scent library for them. Some of these might seem very unlikely; azzaro pour homme for example appeals to a girl i know (she also likes knize ten and 1740 marquis de sade), and givenchy gentleman - often described as a very, very masculine powerhouse - smells incredible on a woman in its modern, reformulated form, though some women even wear the vintage. I know women who wear cool water, cool water deep, green irish tweed, aventus, and many fresh vetiver scents especially such as original vetiver by creed and roger & gallet's vetiver cologne. Others i've come across include eau savage, sables, avant garde, le 3me homme, lanvin l'homme, van cleef & arpel's pour homme, guerlain pour homme, heritage, midnight in paris, obsession for men, mandarina duck man, jovan musk for men, dirty english, lalique white, signoricci, joop! Rococo (the masculine iteration), go, jump, nightflight and pour homme.

If you're feeling timid about trying a femenine or unisex fragrance they will seem most distinct when blended with your bodies natural odour so use them without anti-perspirant, applied to sweat zones during summer. There is a substantial difference between male and female body odours so the effect will be worlds apart from a woman wearing the same scent. Further bear in mind that even if you only wear masculine scents there will still be many people who consider them unisex, and many women probably enjoy them as well. Moreover many scents marketed at women or men have a pyramid which is little different to other scents marketed at men, or women.

I touched on this above, but many scents even swing back and forth. At my local perfume store for example givenchy's into the blue sits next to one man show in the masculine fragrances area, while at other stores it is shelved amoung femenine scents. Almost all colognes were traditionally unisex, but some like eau du coq and imperialle are now sold as masculine, while some femenine scents like jicky were worn almost entirely by men for many years after their release.

In the end you just spray it on, and see how you feel. If it feels right so be it. Until perhaps five years ago i was more wary of women's scents (although i was happy to wear stuff like bandit which is widely aknowledged as unisex), but one day when i decided to test the 'cologne spray,' of tabu for my sister (who is a fan of the vintage) i found that as i was going about my business wearing it the fragrance felt, and smelled right. In another store a sales rep asked me if i was wearing opium pour homme, 'i've never thought much of it but it smells great on you.' well i'd love to say i was brave enough to tell her i was wearing dana's infamous drug store cheapie, but i just nodded, smiled and agreed. Opium pour homme indeed. Nowdays i would happily admit the truth.

Someone earlier mentioned food. Would you avoid a food you loved because someone told you it was for women? Would you avoid colours like pink and red in clothing because you feel they're women-only? Order a salad in a pink shirt wearing women's perfume. I promise it won't dent your masculinity in the slightest.
    i agree whole heartedly! Be yourself!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

many fragrances marketed toward either males or females could easily be considered unisex. Labeling a fragrance as feminen or masculine is really as much a marketing ploy as anything else. I have sampled, own, and wear a number of unisex frags as well as "female" fragrances that smell great on a man. My thinking is, if you like it wear it - no matter whether it is labeled "masculine," Feminine," or "unisex."

Totally agree with this sentiment.