Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Smile All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012 *** Opposite-Gender Fragrance!

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011, Jan. 2012
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011, Feb. 2012
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011, March 2012
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011, April 2012
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011, May 2012
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011, June 2012
    Green July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011, July 2012
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010, Aug. 2011, Aug. 2012
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010, Sept. 2011
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010, Oct. 2011
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010, Nov. 2011
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2011
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012 *** Opposite-Gender Fragrance!

I'll be there. Not sure in what yet, but I'll be there.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012 *** Opposite-Gender Fragrance!

l'm wearing Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella, the only fragrance listed as masculine of a selection of leather samples sent to me by the fabulous forfreddie.

This one is described by many reviewers as a particularly dark, dry & austere leather, so l'm diving in at the deep end here, & well out of my comfort zone!

l get a mentholated opening, reminiscent to my nose of certain disinfectants, particularly Dettol. This soon gives way to a leather that is certainly dry, & has just a touch of sweetness when sniffed from a distance. l'm only 20 minutes in right now, but the projection is pretty good, l'll see how this develops & report back later...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

I'm in Hermes Rocabar, a smooth, sweet, classy blend of woods and spices. I really should wear this one more often, it's wonderful.

Notes include juniper berry, cedar needles, lavender, nutmeg, cinnamon, cypress, Atlas cedar, Virginia cedar, balsam and vanilla
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

It's so interesting to read the posts for the o-g SnS. The not-my-gender scents can have the most uncomfortable feel and give us a new perspective on our identities.

Aventus does not push my limits very much other than a sort of manly freshness. It's the pineapple note that hooks me. It's not obvious, but I credit it with what gives it an attractive quality on any human.
    Last edited by Quarry; 1st September 2012 at 02:51 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm enjoying 1740 Casanova from a Histoire des Parfums sample set sent by a dear Basenotes buddy. I love this one. I think it is easily worn by either gender, even by me and I am as froufrou-loving as it gets. This is meant to be a fougere: lavender, citrus, vanilla, licorice, star anise, cedar, amber are listed notes (and whatever else I've forgotten). I particularly like the cedar in this. It is a note I find transporting when it is of the quality here, and that plus the anise give me a peppery impression. Nothing in this fragrance is too much - it is beautifully composed and just enjoyable to smell on oneself or someone else. So far, I am loving this line.

Will be testing my scent tomorrow. Today is a work day for me & I'm not sure how well I can pull this one off. I see some challenging notes in store for me!

CORIOLAN

Not much of a change for me, since I always wear stuff regardless of marketing. I'm about to go to the gym, cannot put on heavy stuff, so perhaps I'll just use a spritz of No 5 EDT.

Later, perhaps, I should then make an effort to choose something marketed to women I'm usually uncomfortable with. Fracas is one of them, but there are a few others (missoni would be another). I shall decide later...

cacio

I love and mostly wear unisex fragrances so I need to dug up a truly masculine scent in my wardrobe, see if I can get one. I think E03 might be a masculine and I really really enjoy it!

ETA: applied Caron Pour Un Homme, a huge favorite of mine, a very nice lavender fougere, without getting too sweet or floral and no ozonic notes (a plus for me and rarity among modern men's fragrances) and not too much Iso E Super, another plus as that is a head-ache inducer for me. Just smooth and lovely, clean and joyous, just like my favorite men
    Last edited by Irina; 1st September 2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Been in Dior Homme which always amazes me is marketed as a masculine. Yes it opens in fairly classic mix of slight body odour but fresh. How, and why, do they do that? After these brief top notes it turns into the fullest, rounded, buttery iris around. It sweetens as time goes on and even now 7 hrs after applying I keep getting wonderful irisy wafts from my cleavage.

To me this is what 28 La Pausa was meant to be. Great work but not a masculine in a million years.

Btw does anyone else get a hazelnut praline note from Dior Homme?
    Last edited by Alityke; 1st September 2012 at 07:02 PM.

queen of the universe

I love tobacco-laden, smoky leathers, Miss Balmain being my favorite nominally feminine leather, Caron Yatagan and Weil Kipling being two favorite masculines. Both Yatagan and Kipling are uncompromisingly masculine in my view, with a grand cigar shoppe vibe, so I add a single spritz of the much-loved-and-hated-on-these-boards Tea Rose by Perfumers Workshop, thus creating my own genre "badass feminine".

- - - Updated - - -

Today, Kipling + Tea Rose. I'm close to out of Yatagan today and plan to hit the swimming pool, so I went with the more plentiful in my 'drobe. After swimming, I'll de-chlorinate with straight-ahead Tea Rose.
    Last edited by jujy54; 1st September 2012 at 07:30 PM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Reporting back on Peau d'Espagne; in the drydown the leather turned salty & animalic, like warm male skin, in a way rather reminiscent of Dans Tes Bras. After two hours, the base was soft, lightly powdery leather, fading out around five hours in.

l found this one surprisingly cuddly, & not at all harsh as l'd expected. l didn't think l was keen on leather as a perfume note, but l look forward to trying a few more now.

Have a great month, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Fahrenheit 32 by Dior. A masculine opening..then turns into a sweet vanilla..not too sweet. Powdery, woody..with light, fresh, cool, green notes. The sample was very low...couldn't get that much out of it as my husband loved this sample and wants a full bottle. But I really didn't want to put on Polo or Kenneth Cole. lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Duoro Eau de Portugal today. Very nice aromatic fragrance, very classic and proper. Maybe a little too strong on the lime for my taste. I should have gone with Dior Homme which I absolutely love and need to buy a bottle of because I'm running out of samples.

Notes for Duoro:
    Head notes: Geranium, Lemon, Lime, Mandarin, Bergamot, Lavender, Basil
    Heart notes: Neroli, Muguet
    Base notes: Labdanum, Oakmoss, Musk, Sandalwood
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 1st September 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a not-overly-feminine/still not tomboyish gal who wears men's fragrances all of the time and don't like frag-gendering, but for the S&S, I first chose a hyper-femme this morning to go against my like of more androgynous frags:

I went with "Rykiel Woman: Not For Men." The (probably just for fun) title itself violates my gender sensibilities. Turns out I couldn't stand its attempts at toughie but sweet girliness. Pink pepper is yuck! Oud was also thrown in there for a confusing mess. It seems the more gender concept a scent gets, the less I tend to like it.

Now I've tried to dig up a masculine that I own but have been reluctant to wear... went with Salvador Dali PH, or as it's known around BN, the fragrance that the devil himself might wear and all of that.

For being a relatively cheap fragrance, it doesn't smell that cheap (though upon release this was more expensive, and my bottle is vintage). I find it very herbal, but it escapes barbershop-ness, which is a novel combo for men's less-than-$50 frags.

A fantastically hilarious review my Colormechris here on BN likens Salvador Dali Pour Homme to an elaborate meshing of Faberge Babe with blood and other strange fluids. Read it please!

I don't find S Dali PH all that dark or witchy though but that likely speaks more about how familiar with the darkside and comfortable with heavy scents I naturally am. To the point that I wonder if I can accurately review frags for anyone but the similarly afflicted few.

SD as satantic? Maybe earthy and deep, certainly a kind of indigo-verging-on purple. I find it very comforting and centering. This would be a standout and unique scent to smell on a man these days. For a woman it's very unusual, but I think only an unusual person of any gender could pull this one off at all.

There's so much going on here with constant note action and reaction, up-front animalics, clearly trying to be evocative and imagistic accords--that's quite rare, except in the nichest of niche. Astounding! This honestly would make much more sense on someone male but not macho than on andro-femme me though. I'll stick to Kouros for crossdressing but have newfound admiration for Dali's gem.
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 2nd September 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Acqua di Parma Profumo-vintage. Simply the best herbal chypre I have ever found. Warm, cozy, oakmoss. Suitable for either sex.