Code of Conduct

Default "Perfume" by JC Ellena Kindle edition is .99

Just a quick note to let everyone know that "Perfume - The Alchemy of Scent" for Kindle is only .99 now at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfume-ebook/...6426763&sr=1-2

I don't know how long it will stay at this price.

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Perfume" by JC Ellena Kindle edition is .99

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I already have it in hardcopy, but I love having all my books distributed over my devices, for easy reference.

WHAT a deal. And with all the free clients now, you don't even have to buy a Kindle. Just get it and read it on your Mac / MacBook / PC / laptop / iPhone / Android Phone / whatever. Kindle books are *very* readable on phones - I will tell you that.

My question - why is it so cheap? Crazy, man!

Yay, just bought it. What a steal!
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    Yay, just bought it. What a steal!
    Hooray!

It's crazy! I feel like one of those people who books a vacation on a bad decimal point in an online store.

C'mon, Amazon! If you guys'll just have a Grasse vacation package for $99, I am SO there!

What a bargain!

yeah I bought it last week... haven't gotten around to reading it yet... I hope it's not a bad transcription
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Hooray!

It's crazy! I feel like one of those people who books a vacation on a bad decimal point in an online store.

C'mon, Amazon! If you guys'll just have a Grasse vacation package for $99, I am SO there!
    Best Basenotes meetup ever!
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

I just got it too! Very exciting...can't wait to start it after I finish emperor of scent!
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”

― C. JoyBell C.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by muskymoi View Post
    I just got it too! Very exciting...can't wait to start it after I finish emperor of scent!
    Have you read "The Perfect Scent" by Chandler Burr? That's the book that sucked me into this whole beautiful mess! It's also how I became a fan of Jean-Claude Ellena and Hermès, and likewise fascinated by the NYC side of the industry. Can't recommend that book highly enough.

(It's also how I ended up buying Terre d'Hermès, even though the book is mostly about SJP Lovely and Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil.)

Thanks for letting us know!!
    You are never too old nor too fat to be elegant and pleasantly fragrant!

Thanks Michael_C!! Just got it delivered to my tablet. Basenoters are the most sharing people I've found in a long time!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    ... Basenoters are the most sharing people I've found in a long time!!
    They sure are! I dropped in, was made welcome, and never left. This place is definitely one of the nicest ones on the internet!

Speaking of welcomes - pleased to meet you, Jeanie! You can call me Red!

Have you read "The Perfect Scent" by Chandler Burr? That's the book that sucked me into this whole beautiful mess! It's also how I became a fan of Jean-Claude Ellena and Hermès, and likewise fascinated by the NYC side of the industry. Can't recommend that book highly enough.

(It's also how I ended up buying Terre d'Hermès, even though the book is mostly about SJP Lovely and Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil.)
    I went nuts at the library and currently have every book written about perfume in my house for the next three weeks.
    I've always loved perfume but really got into it when I read Perfume by Patrick suskind 11 years ago while I was living in Paris...I've already finished the Turin/Sanchez guide and Chanel number 5: the secret history.
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”

― C. JoyBell C.

Blog Entries

I went nuts at the library and currently have every book written about perfume in my house for the next three weeks.
    I've always loved perfume but really got into it when I read Perfume by Patrick suskind 11 years ago while I was living in Paris...I've already finished the Turin/Sanchez guide and Chanel number 5: the secret history.
    LOL!!!

Well, you've certainly come to the right place. Glad you're here!

I love The Guide terribly - I have it on Kindle on all my devices, as well as multiple first editions just as collectors items! I still need to read the Suskind book - I'm kinda saving that one. I saved Jitterbug Perfume for a long time, so that I'd get maximum enjoyment from it when I finally read it. It worked - I was ecstatic when I read it.

It's kinda like Perfume Hoarders meets Drugstore Cowboy!

LOL!!!

Well, you've certainly come to the right place. Glad you're here!

I love The Guide terribly - I have it on Kindle on all my devices, as well as multiple first editions just as collectors items! I still need to read the Suskind book - I'm kinda saving that one. I saved Jitterbug Perfume for a long time, so that I'd get maximum enjoyment from it when I finally read it. It worked - I was ecstatic when I read it.

It's kinda like Perfume Hoarders meets Drugstore Cowboy!
    I borrowed the hardcover guide (aka bible even?) from the library and had to give it back. I'll get my very own ( in hardcover cos its gorgeous) and they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get it away from me. Although I did find myself disagreeing on a couple of the reviews, I.e., they didn't like vivienne westoods boudoir, which I love to pieces. I'm away for the weekend and brought with me, burr's emperor of scent. It's fitting that the two things I collect are books and perfume! I'm glad I found the mother ship. I feel very at home here! Thanks for being so welcoming...

― C. JoyBell C.

Blog Entries

I borrowed the hardcover guide (aka bible even?) from the library and had to give it back. I'll get my very own ( in hardcover cos its gorgeous) and they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get it away from me. Although I did find myself disagreeing on a couple of the reviews, I.e., they didn't like vivienne westoods boudoir, which I love to pieces. I'm away for the weekend and brought with me, burr's emperor of scent. It's fitting that the two things I collect are books and perfume! I'm glad I found the mother ship. I feel very at home here! Thanks for being so welcoming...
    ...you're most welcome!

I just had a comforting thought from your comments. I think that the guide isn't so much about opinions we should have about fragrance, as it is about *how* we should have opinions about fragrance. The reviews are concise models of well-considered, honest opinions about perfumes. In many cases, the authors actually give the reader enough logical ammunition to come to the exact opposite conclusion, based upon one's differing tastes. I just realize that I own and love several 1-star scents, nearly all of them bought with the guide's assistance. How funny!

That's what I love about perfume. There's no wrong answer.

Sure, there was a bit of snark in some of the reviews, but the descriptions were honest. The snark was simply how the reviewers felt about it. But without the guide I'd have never tried and felt the magic of l'heure bleue, jicky, mitsouko, Chanel 22, bois des iles, or Bulgari black (all samples). I can't wait for the day I walk into guerlain, and ask for my bottle of l'heure bleue, all wrapped up pretty and special. just for me.

― C. JoyBell C.

Smile Re: "Perfume" by JC Ellena Kindle edition is .99

I borrowed the hardcover guide (aka bible even?) from the library and had to give it back. I'll get my very own ( in hardcover cos its gorgeous) and they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get it away from me.
    Oops, you may want to order the paperback instead. It has 400 more reviews, and is quite a bit more comprehensive. An odd way to do things, making the paperback bigger and better than the hard-back, but that's what they did.

Although I did find myself disagreeing on a couple of the reviews...
    One thing you'll quickly learn is that people's tastes really do differ, and their smelling equipment may differ too. If you like something yourself, no matter what other people say or think, that ends up being the true measure of the thing.

In the long run, probably the best part of the book is that it gives a person a good overview of the landscape, and some background on the various lines, noses, and the general history of perfume.

And lets us know that we don't always need to take such things too seriously, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Oops, you may want to order the paperback instead. It has 400 more reviews, and is quite a bit more comprehensive. An odd way to do things, making the paperback bigger and better than the hard-back, but that's what they did.

One thing you'll quickly learn is that people's tastes really do differ, and their smelling equipment may differ too. If you like something yourself, no matter what other people say or think, that ends up being the true measure of the thing.
    Thanks birdboy! Good to know. I always heard the saying "the heart wants what it wants," but in my case my nose wants what it wants! Tania loves TM angel but I can't stand it....go figure...

― C. JoyBell C.