Code of Conduct

Default Suggest a fragrance for me!

Well, it's the time of year again. Summer is ending and I am about to place my last fragrance order, for awhile.
    I've purchased all the bottles I wanted except one, Burberry London.
    I'll be placing my order for London on Fragrancenet tonight.

Before I place my order, I'd like to purchase another scent for the upcoming semester. This will be my "perfect 2012-2013 college scent" Here is what I am looking for:

Age/Needed for - University Student (20).

Use/Occasion: Overall use. This will be my every day, don't need to think about it bottle. It should be versatile enough to where I can just grab the bottle and spray it before heading to class.
    Probable weather/climate: I live in California. With that said...HOT. It will eventually cool down, so I'll say roughly 60-95 degrees F. It's not insanely humid here, but there is a bit of humidity at the moment.
    This will be worn in the fall and spring.

Type of scent I am looking for:
    Please, no gourmands. I love them but have too many
    I am not a huge citrus fan, but will consider it, especially if it has a "creamy" feel to it

Mainly looking for fresh scents, possibly an aquatic.

Matching personality: This one is difficult since I tend to dress/act accordingly. Typically people have called me semi-preppy (Abercrombie and Fitch/Ralph Lauren Polo's + dark jeans when the weather permits). Laid back (shorts and a t-shirt, or polo).

If I were asked "what do you wear most during the semester?" my answer would be "Plain V-Neck and Jeans/Shorts"
    Regardless, I am definitely seen as that "clean, sporty guy" in respect to my hair (medium), facial hair (24/7 stubble), and choice of clothing (always fitted or a little on the tighter side)

Special notes:
    I am looking for something that a young guy should be pulling off.
    I do not want to come off as the guy who drenches himself in cologne. However, I also do not want to be the guy who every other guy smells like; nor do I want to be the guy who doesn't wear a fragrance (I.e: I am hoping to avoid a fragrance that is too subtle)
    In essence, I need something subtle, but not too subtle. Strong enough to project, but not too strong in that it will offend people (Mind you, I will be sitting within 6 inches-a foot of people). VERY CLOSE CONTACT..

Most importantly, I am hoping for a fragrance that is both fresh and has a bit of a "wow" factor. I am not expecting much from this safe scent, but I am at least hoping that it will be nice enough to where the pretty ladies think to themselves "Wow, he smells nice."

Activities I will be engaging in:
    Salsa (close contact, female partner of course)
    Muay Thai boxing (Probably wont spray it on until after)
    Kick Boxing (same rule will probably apply, finish boxing class, shower, apply fragrance)
    Another dance class, which I have yet to decide on.
    Oh and of course...going to class.

To make things more difficult on the both of us...I am on a budget with this one. I was hoping for $45 tops for a larger bottle (100ML) but I can stretch that if absolutely necessary.

Scents I have considered: Nautica Voyage, Versace Pour Homme/Signature, Versace Eau Fraiche.

Sorry for the long post, I just really want this scent to be perfect. I will definitely be switching it up, so it doesn't need to be a signature scent (I don't believe in those :])

P.s. I did not post this in the "new members" forum simply because I am not new to fragrances, and already have an idea of what I want. If this needs to be moved, moderators, please feel free to do so.

Much thanks and appreciation!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggest a fragrance for me!

Get yourself some Vetiver by Guerlain.

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Platinum Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    I forgot about this one. Any clue as to how much a 100ML goes for/where I can get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Get yourself some Vetiver by Guerlain.
    Relatively inexpensive, will definitely look into it.

Post Thanks / Like

The Chanel website $80/100ml

Post Thanks / Like

L'eau Par Kenzo

or

Hanae Mori

Looking into Hanae Mori right now. That one sounds perfect. Between Hanae Mori and Kenzo, which would you go with? Which gives off a younger feel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Looking into Hanae Mori right now. That one sounds perfect. Between Hanae Mori and Kenzo, which would you go with? Which gives off a younger feel?
    Both have lemony overtones.

L'eau is very crisp. Hanae is sweet.

Look into the classifieds. I saw a guy with a 1.7oz (50ml) of Hanae Mori for $15 shipped. L'eau is a tad more expensive, however, still very affordable. Sephora has L'eau on the shelf, so you can drive down and sample it.

Where do you live in CA?

Post Thanks / Like

I recently got a 3.4 oz bottle of Ecko by Marc Ecko for 30.00 with a deodorant as well. It is a nice crisp/refreshing scent and I love it for everyday use.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Mugler Cologne, Bvlgari Aqva, 212.

- - - Updated - - -

Do not buy Versace Fraiche before testing Blue Seduction or Ferrari Light Essence.

Perfect, I'll take it off his hands if he still has it...just need to find that thread. Southern CA, LA district.

- - - Updated - - -

Elmalo, my father has that one I believe, I'll have to try it.
    Thank you Alvus. I set Bvlgari Aqua aside along with 212 (was considering this one for awhile). Mugler Cologne sounds nice.
    Really interested in HM right now.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I blind bought Hanae Mori and feel it's a very average fragrance. I'd go with Versace Eau Fraiche

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Try:

Black Soul by Ted Lapidus - Upon application, one is treated to a pleasing blend from the interplay of a bittersweet and peppery bergamot, a crisp and fresh, lemon blossom, a spicy cardamon, a slightly indolic neroli and a refreshing mint. Consequently, an all-too-familiar, sweet and spicy, bubble-gum smell materializes and wafts to the waiting heart. Here, in the middle, the bubble-gum-ish opening is immersed in an enveloping bath of fruity, medjool dates and raisins, sweetly warm and earthy cinnamon, and a hay-like and slightly honeyed floral from saffron. Transitioning to the alluring base, Chinese cedarwood imparts its camphoraceous, pencil-shaving scent, while tolu balsam infuses its balsamic and cinnamic facets. A sweet and airy woodiness from gaiacwood also presents. Ambrocenide contributes its amber-like, woody character, while musk diffuses its soft and sweetly clean nuances. A comforting drydown ensues. This masculine, refined composition has average projection and average longevity, lasting about 8 hours.

ElNino, thanks but at $15, I think it's worth a shot :]

dollars&scents, we think alike, I own this one already haha.

Post Thanks / Like

MikeJ,

Hope you don't mind a female suggesting a fragrance - allure homme sport might fit your criteria.

ElNino, thanks but at $15, I think it's worth a shot :]

dollars&scents, we think alike, I own this one already haha.

Vetiver Fatal perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    +1
    Seems to fit several of your criteria, although I can't testify to how it does in hotter, drier climates.
    You may want to check out Chanel Allure Homme Sport eu Extreme if you haven't already. I just wore it today in pretty warm weather and it worked well. Even got a nice compliment on it. It has good longevity and projection without being "in your face". It smells fresh & clean with a nice, slightly powdery & creamy dry-down. It also seems to fit what you describe as your personality well and would be a pretty good daily wear...something you could easily wear as a go-to, without having to think about it frag. Also pretty versatile and could work in most situations. If you like it, I think it really fits the great majority of what you're looking for to a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    +1
    Seems to fit several of your criteria, although I can't testify to how it does in hotter, drier climates.
    You may want to check out Chanel Allure Homme Sport eu Extreme if you haven't already. I just wore it today in pretty warm weather and it worked well. Even got a nice compliment on it. It has good longevity and projection without being "in your face". It smells fresh & clean with a nice, slightly powdery & creamy dry-down. It also seems to fit what you describe as your personality well and would be a pretty good daily wear...something you could easily wear as a go-to, without having to think about it frag. Also pretty versatile and could work in most situations. If you like it, I think it really fits the great majority of what you're looking for to a tee.
    I was really interested in this one. Had my hopes up, but the price tag is just too high. It doesn't look like fragrancenet is going to stock it anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Vetiver Fatal perhaps
    Interesting suggestion. Looks like vetiver-type scents are being recommended, a lot. Thanks hednic, will look into it

Quote Originally Posted by galwaygirl001 View Post
    MikeJ,

Hope you don't mind a female suggesting a fragrance - allure homme sport might fit your criteria.
    Mind? I prefer a woman's opinion actually! Thank you for the suggestion. I absolutely love Allure Homme. But for some reason, sport does not work well with my skin. The scent is wonderful, but on my skin it becomes bitter. Almost like food going bad. I wish I could pull it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind, there's an entire genre that fits your description, you just need to do some trial and error. Many of us are constantly escaped by the perfect fragrance.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Bleu De Chanel, Platinum Egoiste would all be great choices but they are out of your price range.. For ones that do fit in your budget, Versace Pour Homme and Love and Luck !

Post Thanks / Like

I did neglect your price consciousness when suggesting Platinum Egoiste. Hands down given your criteria: Hugo Boss Bottled AKA Hugo Boss #6

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleu de Chanel or Allure Homme Sport would be excellent based on your criteria.

Going to sample hugo boss 6. It's been suggested a lot.
    Bleu and AHS sound perfect, but AHS smells bitter on my skin and I can't find Bleu for under $100...

Post Thanks / Like

Going to sample hugo boss 6. It's been suggested a lot.
    Bleu and AHS sound perfect, but AHS smells bitter on my skin and I can't find Bleu for under $100...
    If you end up liking Boss Bottled, or even L'eau park kenzo. I can hook you up with a nice 10ml of each. Sometimes you need to diversify.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoskip View Post
    If you end up liking Boss Bottled, or even L'eau park kenzo. I can hook you up with a nice 10ml of each. Sometimes you need to diversify.
    I got to try boss bottled, Eau Fraiche, and Versace PH. Versace PH is rather mature and not what I am looking for, Eau Fraiche is nice but also not what I'm looking for. Boss Bottled on the other hand, well this is as close to perfect as I am going to get. I didn't get to try Kenzo or HM, unfortunately.
    I think I'm going to go with Boss Bottled.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You may also like Gucci Guilty PH and D&G PH (old formulation).

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Homme Sport seems like a good choice to me.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

The best place to buy Chanel frags IMO is to order directly from the Chanel website.

The only issue I have with DHS is the price. Unfortunately, it's out of my budget.
    Alvus, I tried it today at Macy's (Gucci), wasn't impressed since it smelled close to A*Men and Play Intense. Just a more wearable version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    The best place to buy Chanel frags IMO is to order directly from the Chanel website.
    Yeah, strangely enough the channel site and Macy's are the cheapest places to purchase them.
    I am curious as to why a .07 oz bottle is $60...

Kenzo Pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

I am suggesting a cheapie but goodie. To me this describes everything your post describes. The scent is Jaguar performance. I have gotten alot compliments out of this fresh/spicy fragrance and its only 20.00. Can't go wrong with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Any update?

Honestly HM is alright, but I would not want to wear it every single day. It's very fatiguing. When you wear it once and a while you're like "Ah, this is nice and lemony and the sweetness is there but not overbearing." But, after wearing it for a few weeks at a time you focus on the sweetness and it becomes like wearing a lemonhead.

I've been wearing Aventus in hot weather and it's really nice. It has plenty of smoky, green notes along with the pineapple to my nose. I know it's expensive, but I've been getting it for less than $70 from someone on here .

Outside of that, if you don't already have Burberry Brit or BB summer that may be nice for you. It's powdery for sure, but the ginger notes work nicely in hot weather and it would not be overbearing while in class (I am also a college student).

Post Thanks / Like

F by Ferragamo Black ~ Lavender / herbal
    Encre Noire ~ Vetiver / woody

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I've been so busy, that I forgot to check this thread!

Updates as of now. Aside from deciding that I am going to skip out on the HM (nothing unique about it, bought 5 samples of it and can tell that those 5 1.2mls will last me awhile).
    Definitely set on Hugo Boss Bottled and Burberry London (the one I've wanted for some time).