Code of Conduct

Default How to Tackle a big order!

I know this is a good problem to have,

My packages of decants/bottles all came in yesterday, so I'm a little overwhelmed.

What is your guys prefered way to work through this, and give all the Frags the attention they deserve? Wear 1 a day? spend a few days on each one? do as my brother did as soon as he saw them open, and start spraying every inch of exposed skin with different frags (not my choice)

The orders consisted of.

Bulgari black
    M7
    m7 fresh
    michael kors for men
    quorum
    rive gauche pour homme
    Very irresistable for men
    A*men
    a*men pure havane
    bulgari aqua pour homme
    Dunhill black
    eau sauvage
    green irish tweed
    kenzo pour homme
    l'eau d'issey pour homme
    tsar
    zino - davidoff

So how do i give them all a fair sniffing (m7, m7 fresh and rive gauche were top ups.)

Default Re: How to Tackle a big order!

As I am starting, too, I have collected dozens of samples. I wear one in the day, shower, and wear one at night. The next day, same thing but with new scents. I jot down my impressions each day...then add/change to those notes once I go back for a second pass. If I'm not leaving the house on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll compare a couple (one on one wrist, vs a different one on the other).

Welcome...and nice haul!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Quote Originally Posted by ktime70 View Post
    I know this is a good problem to have,

My packages of decants/bottles all came in yesterday, so I'm a little overwhelmed.

What is your guys prefered way to work through this, and give all the Frags the attention they deserve? Wear 1 a day? spend a few days on each one? do as my brother did as soon as he saw them open, and start spraying every inch of exposed skin with different frags (not my choice)
    I place large orders of bottles all the time. What works best for me is to wear each one at a given time on a given day.

4 a day is what I usually do. 1 on each hand, one on each arm, right above the pit. I'm way too impatient to wait x amount of days.

Wow, great haul, enjoy!

A full wearing is necessary for a final judgement. But I'm impatient too. In addition to my regular scent on the body and shirt, I usually also have a paper strip with another scent in my jacket breast pocket, which I can sniff at ease during the day. You can also add another strip in your trousers back pocket. I also spray my arms at night when I'm back from work. Typically, by when I wake up, they're gone. These are all ways to get an idea about a scent before a full wearing.

cacio

so far I've been doing what Teach 13 has stated, one through the day, shower and new one that evening. I have however had a sniff at the ones i can without spraying just out of sheer curiosity.

Really planned this better, I was getting them all from 3 different sources, One from here in Australia, 1 from the UK, and one from the USA. Figured that with my experience with car parts, I would have a few days between the Australia and the (small) UK ones landing due to the volume being low enough to go in an air satchel, then a week till the USA order. Nup, 2 working days for the Australian one to come (not bad for road freight), 3 days for the USA ones to come!!! I don't know if i can name the company (quite frequently mentioned on here), but they threw a discount on top of my whole order, and delivered it over a week faster than expectations! and everything was perfect, well packaged and as described (well except the fact that the 2 x M7 fresh's were pictured as the new, weaker version, and came as the Pre -reformulation ones!!! yes!!!)

Anyway, Pleased customer here

Nice choices! I would wear each one for two days an then change to the next.

Dependent

I would wear one a day so that my nose can really pick up the scent. Taking longer means you will have less excuse to go for another haul
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    I would wear one a day so that my nose can really pick up the scent. Taking longer means you will have less excuse to go for another haul
    Lol, not sure that's a positive or negative

I frequently get large orders especially when my friend in the US is around and willing to ship me stuff. I usually spritz scent cards to get an impression and some idea of how the fragrance develops. Based on their performance 'on paper,' I'll then decide what to test first.

As mentioned before you can always shower to wash off your daily wear, and then test something new. This gives you time to think about it, but in the end the effect a scent has on you and the effect it has in public can be quite different.

Banned

I would give each a full day's wearing so you can appraise it fully.

Dependent

take your time and enjoy

This is just my process, and being new, I also have a huge box of samples to go through and have been doing so for about 6 months now. Some of this process depends on how much of a sample I have; if it's not much, I might skip some stuff. This is pretty involved if you only sample in stores or have just a few samples, but works great for someone like me who has jumped into the deep end of a new hobby right away.

INITIAL TESTING - CARD
    My first testing I do for stuff I really have no idea if I'll like or not. I'll give one spray onto an index card with its name and some researched notes on the intended notes of the frag. I can then sniff them now and then and record some notes on the card. This gives me a good idea if something is absolutely not a scent I like (such as licorice). I don't *usually* dismiss frags this way, but sometimes I do when it's very clear I'm not going to ever like it. In a way, this also gives me a rough priority list of awesome things to try first and not-so-exciting things to try later.

I try not to do more in a day, as I've hit that wall where my nose is shot/tired. But again, even so, it's not like I throw much out at all with this round; it's just a feeler.

INITIAL SKIN TESTING
    After I have an idea what to expect, I'll go ahead and some evening or day when I know I'm not doing anything spray a sample on my arm. I actually like to do 2 at a time. I'll spray one on the crook/top of my elbow, and the other on the other side. Since my job revolves around computer work and so does my leisure time, I then set the bottles under my monitors on the side they're sprayed so I don't forget which is which, and enjoy/sniff at will. After 3-6 hours or when the scents have worn down, I might try two more but this time on the backs of my wrists. This way they're not too close to the old scents when I take whiffs, and they're not being rubbed off on my desk, clothes. Sometimes I do this when I head out for a walk/run, since I don't normally care what I smell like, and sometimes the heightened body heat amps things up.

I've read that some people do more spots on their arms and may even include ankles, but I don't.

This gives me a good idea if something is good on me, bad on me, or just "meh." It also gives me an idea when I should try it out again, either at work, personal time, an evening out, etc. Bottom line is that I want to make sure I get in a skin test, since some frags open up beautifully with my skin chemistry while others turn unenjoyable.

I keep notes in Evernote. I previously used a moleskine notebook, but re-referencing stuff became tedious. Evernote searching is nice.

FURTHER COMPARISON TESTING
    By now, I usually know if something is offensive or not very good, and I set those aside. With whatever is left, I do more skin testing like above, only I make an effort to pair up similar frags. Sweet on both arms, incense on both arms, etc. This gives me a chance to do some comparisons, both to see which I'd prefer, but it also is a great way to be able to pick out different notes that I'm not familiar with.

I don't want boxes of old samples hanging around, and I hate to feel like I've wasted product, so I usually test until samples are gone. If they're good enough, they should rate highly with me and I'll buy bigger samples. I can see this based on my notes and (if you read below) the boxes I store the frags in.

FULL TRIALS
    If I'm liking a frag particularly well enough, I'll at some point find an appropriate time to do a full wearing, which for me is spray both arms and two on the neck and see how I like living with the scent for a day or two. If I have someone around to elicit reaction from, I'll be sure to ask. Of course, not looking for compliments, just looking for honest, objective opinion. "I dunno, smells like lemon pledge," spoken by a pal is better than exhibiting that vibe for a week at work before you realize it!

FUTURE RE-TRIES
    It's rare that I throw a sample out, but it happens. Usually I put them into a box in a cupboard for future testing if I feel so inclined to give things a second try.

The "process" is embarassingly more involved than just the above. I give ratings to scents based on how much I like them, and I keep them in keepsake boxes placed on how much I like them in the above "head-to-head" comparisons. For instance, if L'Artisan's Djongkha and Micallef's Shanaan are in the same box, I'll try them out together since they're similar scents. If I like Djongkha more than Shanaan, I'll move Djongkha up to a higher bucket and keep Shanaan where it was. This eventually gives me an idea which frags I should get bigger samples for, or even a full bottle. Essentially I have something like 5 boxes. The first one is tested stuff that is ok. With each subsequent test, I determine whether I want to "promote" the frag up a level; usually the one I prefer moves up, and the other stays where it is. (Yeah, I have a problem! )

It also gives me comparisons. For instance, I love incense frags, but I can't just buy every single one. This allows me to not only sample stuff, but also compare at the same time so I know which vanilla frag I like most. For instance, Puredistance M doesn't make me at all as happy as CdG Jubilation XXV, and it's hard for me to know that without wearing them both at once.

Eventually, if I want to try something out on a store run or out with friends, I don't have to hunt through my notes or boxes of samples or plan ahead. I can just open up, say, Box #5, and know that these frags have passed muster and I like them. And if I'm suddenly inspired to buy something, I can also just search Evernote and have a list of things I have rated well.

As I said earlier, I have a detail/competitive/organization problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to recap, ultimately, as long as you wear them once on your skin and give them a decent wearing (one a day is fine) you should be good. Whatever helps you make an informed purchase on what you like! They're your samples, so use them up.

^^^that is quite the system!!! But it is a great way to use your samples with thought and comparison to other similar "types" of frags.