Code of Conduct

Default I think I got a fake bottle of cologne on EBAY

Hello fragrance officianados,

I recently purchased a 3.4 ounce bottle of Chanel Platinum Egoiste from EBAY. It was a full bottle, appears to be a genuine bottle, but came in the white box as a "tester". I have had this cologne for a few months, and it has been quite weak in strength. I occasionally have a few female co-workers give me their feedback on colognes, and with this one, they can NEVER smell it. This morning I really went for it - I sprayed my body ten times, and then even sprayed my shirt another six. First thing in the morning, and my co-workers didn't smell a thing.

After this, I checked the feedback of the Ebay seller I bought from, and low and behold there were a number of comments stating that the seller is selling fake scents. To be fair, there is a lot more feedback that was positive, but I am wondering if these are the people who just don't know any better.

At any rate, is it possible that I got a fake scent, even though the bottle seems genuine? If this IS the case, then how can I ever be sure I am buying the real deal (unless I pay top dollar at a department store)?

I'm wondering if it MIGHT be a possibility that this scent (first time I've ever tried Platinum) is extremely weak? I mostly like the clear/fresh scents, and while I know they are usually the weakest, this one is like nothing.

Thanks for your feedback, as I am a total amateur.

Default Re: I think I got a fake bottle of cologne on EBAY

It happens. Sorry buddy.

It's possible sure. If you are not happy with it, perhaps you might want to return it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starflyte View Post
    I have had this cologne for a few months....
    Too late to return it, then...disputes can only be filed for 45 days from date of payment.

...how can I ever be sure I am buying the real deal (unless I pay top dollar at a department store)?
    When buying popular fragrances, eBay is risky. There are many counterfeits out there. A less well-known scent is less likely to be counterfeited.

Chanel fragrances are quite weak in my skin.

I would suggest not buying Chanels on ebay. I never really see them discounted anywhere, and they are some of the most faked fragrances out there.

There are a lot of fake Chanel Platinum Egoiste being sold here in Holland as well but not in tester format!
    Testers are normally no fakes as they fake the real bottle and not pretend to sell a tester which is also fake!

Being a tester it can be exposed to sunlight a lot and temperature fluctuations which makes the juice bad!

In Spain I saw so many show windows with dozens of bottles full with juice in the open sun for hours each day when it was way over 30 degrees in the shade. Whoever gets those is not to be envied.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

eBay should only be used to purchase cheaper, bargain bin fragrances.
    Adg, Chanels, Dior, etc., are highly faked.
    I heard the other safe bet would be to buy testers, but apparently that's been disproven.

I just tried to explain it might not been disproven.
    Why do you think a weak smell proves it's a 100% fake bottle??

I think testers are legit and not faked but they just can be of bad quality due to various logical reasons.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Cool Re: I think I got a fake bottle of cologne on EBAY

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    There are a lot of fake Chanel Platinum Egoiste being sold here in Holland as well but not in tester format!
    Testers are normally no fakes as they fake the real bottle and not pretend to sell a tester which is also fake!

Being a tester it can be exposed to sunlight a lot and temperature fluctuations which makes the juice bad!

In Spain I saw so many show windows with dozens of bottles full with juice in the open sun for hours each day when it was way over 30 degrees in the shade. Whoever gets those is not to be envied.
    What he said.
    I don't care for Platinum Egoiste myself but it does have MONSTER sillage
    If no one can smell it after all those sprays, you've got a fake or a bad bottle.

Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Hello fragrance officianados,

If this IS the case, then how can I ever be sure I am buying the real deal (unless I pay top dollar at a department store)?
    As an alternative, you could try some LEGITIMATE discount retailers [not on Ebay]. Beauty Encounter I've used myself and never had a problem with them. Fragrancenet gets very high marks here on Basenotes. There are a few others as well, but I've forgotten which ones they are.

Can someone else add to this list?

Go to a store that sells it and spray their tester on your left arm. Immediately spray your right arm with your bottle.

Is there a difference?
    Is there a difference after an hour or two? Or four?

When you buy any product, either online or in a store, you really need to know what your return options are and then give it a test drive within that timeframe. A few months means you've waited too long.

In my experience, counterfeiters don't usually bother making a fake version of the scent. They fake the bottle and fill it with anything smelly. I got stiffed with a fake bottle of Fahrenheit that may have had a cleaning fluid in it instead of perfume.

If it's taken you months to decide whether or not yours is a fake, and you're still not sure, I doubt it's a fake. Usually, with fakes, you can tell in an instant.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 on using Fragrancenet. They're legit, and they sometimes run 20% off specials. That, plus using ebates, can help.

Basenotes Junkie

Since you can't leave feedback, can you tell us the name of the seller so we can avoid them?

Probably fake for sure. They are getting better and better at making the bottles.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Probably fake for sure. They are getting better and better at making the bottles.
    Not only that, you can buy the actual unfilled bottles. I forget the link. I got ripped off on a bottle of new Carolina Herrera CH. I smelled vinegar and instantly wanted to hurt someone. Someone directed me to a sight where you can buy the empty bottles for cheap.

Well one positive thing - you guys give GREAT feedback!! Seriously, I'm impressed at this forum, and so many of the responses. You people are cordial, genuine, thoughtful and helpful. Thank you.

For the person who asked about the seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/tvjones123/m...84.m1439.l2654

I WILL say that I stopped at Nordstroms yesterday (luckily, I work by the Santa Monica Mall), and tried out their sampler, and it was just as weak there as my bottle at home. I really don't understand how some people say that this is a strong fragrance, when I can barely detect it, and neither can my co-workers? Not saying anyone is being dishonest, I'm just confused.

I also tried spraying the stuff on my bed sheets, and then even around the room. I might as well spray water out of a water bottle...

The main thing I was wondering about was the bottles, and if people were able to fake those, and apparently from the responses here - they are.

I recently found another fragrance I really like, which is Chrome Sport. It's also pretty weak though... Anyways I'm GUESSING that there won't be as much fakery with the cheaper fragrances, as the price point isn't nearly as good, but then again I could be wrong.

I know I'm rambling a little bit, but I heard that Chrome Legend was supposed to be MUCH stronger, and before I came back and read these responses, I purchased a tester bottle from Ebay. Well if I strike out again, at least the damage will only be 25 bucks. I'm not rich though.

Last thing, I don't know how Chanel Platinum can be so expensive, when it is so weak. I WISH I could experience what those who say it has great sillage do.... I'm confused/frustrated now.

One more piece of advice - everyone's skin is different. Longevity and silliage vary greatly from person to person. Other people in this thread have also said it's weak on them. Reading through the threads here has taught me a lot about perfume. One tip someone suggested - the oilier your skin is, the longer the scent lasts. So putting some unscented moisturizer on your skin before spraying your fragrance might help.

Absolutely true. Projection and longevity are the last things I look at. The bottle color, small details, and the scent are what I primarily will judge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I got stiffed with a fake bottle of Fahrenheit that may have had a cleaning fluid in it instead of perfume.

- - - Updated - - -
    No you didn't, that IS what Fahrenheit smells like LOL

I generally buy samples or used frags on EBAY, counterfeiters don't waste their time making a half empty bottle and selling it cheap. They go all out, Full, new boxed bottles of expensive stuff. Sometimes I wonder if people pour vodka into a half empty bottle before selling it, to make it look full, same smell, just weak.

- - - Updated - - -

I WILL say that I stopped at Nordstroms yesterday (luckily, I work by the Santa Monica Mall), and tried out their sampler, and it was just as weak there as my bottle at home. I really don't understand how some people say that this is a strong fragrance, when I can barely detect it, and neither can my co-workers? Not saying anyone is being dishonest, I'm just confused.
    When I was new to Fragrances (several months ago ) I went on and on about Longevity. I didn't want to waste money on stuff that didn't last on me. I have since found fragrances that last forever on me, and the ones that don't, I spray more spritzes on at a time, and carry a small atomizer to refresh them during the day. Keep trying different things, you will find stuff that lasts a long time!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

99.99999999% of cologne on ebay is fake. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying to you and themselves.

Thanks again for the feedback/advice everyone.

And jeightseven, I doubt that.