Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Essenze by Ermenegildo Zegna (2012)

Zegna is launching a new collection of men’s fragrances—Essenze by Ermenegildo Zegna in collaboration with Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. The collection is expected on the market in December 2012.

Five new fragrances embody values of the company—passion, commitment, vision. The fragrances are: Italian Bergamot, Sicilian Mandarin, Javanese Patchouli, Indonesian Oud and Florentine Iris. The designer was inspired by his luxurious high-end men’s Ermenegildo Zegna Couture Collection and hopes it will put forward the house’s name in the world of fragrances.

Perfumers who worked on perfumes of the new collection are: Pierre Negrin, Frank Voelkl, Harry Fremont and Jacques Cavallier. All fragrances have one ingredient in common—Calabrian bergamot—but have very different compositions. An interesting fact is that Zegna owns the bergamot harvest used in this collection.

Italian Bergamot incorporates Calabrian bergamot oil surrounded by neroli, rosemary and vetiver. Notes of Sicilian Mandarin are mandarin, bergamot, spearmint, petitgrain and moss. Javanese Patchouli includes woody notes of patchouli, as well as bergamot, pink pepper, tonka bean and cedar wood. Aromas of Indonesian Oud bring us oud wood, rose, amber, patchouli and bergamot. Florentine Iris encompasses three different iris notes, accompanied with bergamot, jasmine, violet and musk. Additional fragrances will be added to the collection in the future.

The fragrances will be available in 124 ml (4.2 oz) flacons. Each fragrance and its flacon have a different color, to mark the central ingredient of the fragrance.

Default Re: Essenze by Ermenegildo Zegna (2012)

Thanks for the info.

Dependent

This one sounds nice. Thanks for the info . . . is it out yet?

I'd love to read any impressions of the new range.
    Anyone tried one or all of the six?

Anybody in NYC hop into the Zegna boutique and try this out, and report back. Would appreciate your thoughts on the line especially Indonesian Oud.

Has anyone tried the Indonesian Oud??

Didn't tried Oud, but Zegna exclusive for Bergdorf I did tried and it's awesome. I will check Indonesian Oud, Zegna is few blocks down

thanks please do give your review!

In response to my further recent enquiry to the Sydney Zegna store (who previously denied all knowledge of the new Essenze line), I received the following reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

We will be receiving the new Essenze Fragrances however they are not in store as yet. We are expecting them to arrive towards the end of April and we will let you know once they have arrived."

So hopefully I'll have the opportunity shortly to sample these and report back.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Armani Prive' Nuances,
    Armani Prive' Bois d'Encens, Ermenegildo Zegna Indonesian Oud, Essenza de Zegna, Amouage Beloved Man, Fahrenheit Le Parfum, Dior La Collection Couturier Vetiver, and Rasikh Syed Junaid Alam.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Indonesian Oud??
    I tried them all in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago and they are outstanding, specially Indonesian Oud.
    I wrote about them in the "Powerhouse Fragarnce Users" group.in the "Guess what Fragrance" thread. You can find it in the March 25th 2013 entry.
    The question is: Are they worth the 195 bucks they are asking for the 100 mL bottle?
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

I will email them to see if I can get samples. I would not blind buy without testing any fragrance over 100 bucks.

Indonesian oud is outstanding. I was not in a suit, so no sample for me. I have Kurkdjian cashmere oud on my right hand and, Zegna oud on my left. Zegna oud is deeper and more complex.

and it's not 100ml bottle. it's 125ml. 4.2 oz some review you've got there
    Last edited by outline; 19th April 2013 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Indonesian oud is outstanding. I was not in a suit, so no sample for me. I have Kurkdjian cashmere oud on my right hand and, Zegna oud on my left. Zegna oud is deeper and more complex.
    I'll make sure I'm wearing my suit when I go to the Sydney Zegna store to test!

Armani Prive' Bois d'Encens, Ermenegildo Zegna Indonesian Oud, Essenza de Zegna, Amouage Beloved Man, Fahrenheit Le Parfum, Dior La Collection Couturier Vetiver, and Rasikh Syed Junaid Alam.

Do it mate. It's a winner. You can tell this was made for a very close circle. So so good.
    Last edited by outline; 19th April 2013 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post

and it's not 100ml bottle. it's 125ml. 4.2 oz some review you've got there
    Wow thats great!

OK, so I went and tested the whole Essenze collection today and walked out having bought a bottle of Indonesian Oud.

I haven't had time to fully digest Indonesian Oud or the others, but I'll give you my initial impressions:

Italian Bergamot - very classic cologne style of fragrance. Not too distinctive but very nice. Has a sort of ADP vibe.

Sicilian Mandarin - at first it smells exactly like mandarin peel. Quite strong and fruity, but not sweet.

Javanese Patchouli - I nearly bought this too! It reminded me very much of Serge Lutens Borneo, but it didn't have Borneo's camphorous quality. I'll probably go back and buy this at some point.

Indonesian Oud - my favourite of the five. Very nice, gorgeous oud with some distinctive patchouli thrown in.

Florentine Iris - the most feminine of the five. It's nice and no doubt a high quality fragrance but just not my cup of tea.

As soon as I've done a full wearing of Indonesian Oud, I'll put up a full review.

Cheers
    Last edited by Lovescully; 24th April 2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Lovescully View Post
    OK, so I went and tested the whole Essenze collection today and walked out having bought a bottle of Indonesian Oud.

I haven't had time to fully digest Indonesian Oud or the others, but I'll give you my initial impressions:

Italian Bergamot - very classic cologne style of fragrance. Not too distinctive but very nice. Has a sort of ADP vibe.

Sicilian Mandarin - at first it smells exactly like mandarin peel. Quite strong and fruity, but not sweet.

Javanese Patchouli - I nearly bought this too! It reminded me very much of Serge Lutens Borneo, but it didn't have Borneo's camphorous quality. I'll probably go back and buy this at some point.

Indonesian Oud - my favourite of the five. Very nice, gorgeous oud with some distinctive patchouli thrown in.

Florentine Iris - the most feminine of the five. It's nice and no doubt a high quality fragrance but just not my cup of tea.

As soon as I've done a full wearing of Indonesian Oud, I'll put up a full review.

Cheers
    How much rose is in the Oud? I like oud but I've a difficult time with rose..

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    How much rose is in the Oud? I like oud but I've a difficult time with rose..
    Actually I was surprised how dominant the rose is in this. It's not so much in the top notes but quite noticeable as the fragrance settles; at least on my skin.

I'm still testing this so I hope to have a full review up in the next day or two.

Thanks for your insight Lovescully

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    I tried them all in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago and they are outstanding, specially Indonesian Oud.
    I wrote about them in the "Powerhouse Fragarnce Users" group.in the "Guess what Fragrance" thread. You can find it in the March 25th 2013 entry.
    The question is: Are they worth the 195 bucks they are asking for the 100 mL bottle?

No perfume is worth that price, unless it will have the effect John Baptiste got after using what he
    created.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Thanks for your insight Lovescully
    My pleasure

FYI, off topic I just received an e-mail invitation from the Sydney Zegna store to attend the launch of their new Uomo fragrance line next week. Although I have read several unfavorable reviews of Uomo on-line, I'm going to attend and check it out myself. It will also give me another opportunity to test the other Essenze line again; especially Javanese Patchouli.

Presumably the fans of this line (hed, looking at you) will know this, but they're adding a sixth fragrance to the line-up next year.

Haitian Vetiver.

http://www.beautyscene.net/fragrance...itian-vetiver/

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Presumably the fans of this line (hed, looking at you) will know this, but they're adding a sixth fragrance to the line-up next year.

Haitian Vetiver.

Did not know this and thank you for the info. Will be sure to add this to the 5 I have.
    (904)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I was not impressed with any of their prive collections, but I will give this new one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    The Price/Value of the new Zegna Essenze Collection is actually very reasonably priced, in my opinion. You get 125 ml. of very excellent juice at $195. Every one I've smelled is outstanding for what it attempts to do. My favorites are Javanese Patchouli #1, Florentine Iris #2, Indonesian Oud #3, and I like the Bergamot and Mandarine/Neroli ones very well too.

The Zegna price per ml.for the most similar sizes of other competitive brands of similar quality is:

PRICE PER ML. FOR MAJOR LUXURY BRANDS
    Zegna Essenze Collection - 125 ml. - $195 = $1.56 / ml.
    AdP Colonia Intenza Oud 100 ml. - $180 = $1.80 / ml.
    LeLabo Rose 31 - 100 ml. - $240 = $2.40 / ml.
    Bond No. 9 - 100 ml. - $250 = $2.50 / ml.
    Creed Aventus - 100 ml. - $330 = $3.30 / ml.
    Ramon Monegal - 50 ml.- $185 = $3.70 / ml.
    Tom Ford Pr. Blnds - 50ml -$210 & 250ml.-$520 = $4.20 /$2.08ml.

The Zegna Essence Collection are actually very well priced and very nice fragrances for the price too.

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from the great price, the quality of the fragrances are excellent. There is a purity and strength of ingredients that really comes through. The mixes are not too complex, most are very straight forward archetype fragrance blends of quality ingredients listed. There is a simple integrity to the fragrances that places them in harmony with Zegna as a brand of quality, which is way up there in my opinion. There has been lots of praise heaped on the Indonesian Oud fragrance, but don't misjudge this brand to be an "oud" specific line. The Indonesian Oud is very different from other oud and has more of a saffron/rose/patchouli/leather attar quality about it, but definitely makes its own statement - it is a powerhouse fragrance, while the oud content is actually not that central to how it smells.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 28th November 2013 at 02:34 PM.
    SUMMER COLOGNES: Splash of Lemon STH • Dior Homme Cologne • Boudicea the Victorious Oxford • Cedre Atlas • Azemour les Orangers • Oliver Peoples • Sunday Cologne edp • Guerlain Homme L'Eau • Ginepro di Sardegna • Maestrale • Iris Nazarena • Fitnessence • Escentric 02 • Daxon Iridium •

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    There has been lots of praise heaped on the Indonesian Oud fragrance, but don't misjudge this brand to be an "oud" specific line. The Indonesian Oud is very different from other oud and has more of a saffron/rose/patchouli/leather attar quality about it, but definitely makes its own statement - it is a powerhouse fragrance, while the oud content is actually not that central to how it smells.
    Agree with your analysis of this one in the series. Definitely a much more subtle oud.
    (927)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post

Haitian Vetiver.

I was told today by the manager of the Zegna boutique in my area that the new one, Hatian Vetiver would be in the store on December 15th. I hope he's right.
    (1169)

Update: A little later than previously told, but the newest addition to the series of exclusive Essenze fragrances by Zegna, Hatian Vetiver, has finally arrived at Zegna boutiques in the US. Just got off the phone with the manger and she told me it arrived today. Will be heading there tomorrow to pick it up. Also available now online at Nordstrom.

(2168)
    Last edited by hednic; 27th December 2013 at 01:11 AM.

I was gifted Zegnas Indonesian Oud, and as I sit here looking at the beautiful box I can't help but think of the last time I was gifted a perfume...Robert Piguet Oud. I hated it. Thank God I was able to exchange it.

So before I open it, can anyone give a comparison to any other perfumes? Or if I like X I will like this. They don't have this in store at any Neimans or saks unfortunately.