Code of Conduct

Smile SOTD: Sunday 2 September 2012

Good morning. It's raining and thundering here in Tokyo. Such a relief from the record breaking, sweltering hot summer we've had in August.

SOTD is Satori by Satori. It's an incense fragrance that reminds me of my grandmother's sandalwood fan and incense we use to burn in the house. It is a beautiful, calming fragrance, but I think it would be more interesting if worn by a non oriental person. If I wear this here, people would ask if I had been to temple! Satori told me that it's popular among people in the fashion industry in the US and Europe.

Have a great Sunday.
    Do happy

Default Re: SOTD: Sunday 2 September 2012

Good morning!
    Feels like winter or at least winter approaching. It was "only" 31 degrees Celsius this morning.

for swap/sale:

Arsenal Black by Gilles Cantuel

Good morning!

Switched to Gardenia Petale. Satori is beautiful and I like it a lot, but don't think I'll be buying it.

Billie_Holiday__Warhol_by_Mambalici.jpg
    Do happy

Caron Farnesiana Extrait today with a patch of vintage Farnesiana Extrait from the 1950/60s to compare with. They sure smell much alike so far. I also have a patch of very very old Pois de Senteur Extrait (I think 1930s) on my other arm. It instantly smelled very familiarly of Pois de Senteur, although now I feel it resembles more Acaciosa. If it is Pois de Senteur it is sweeter than today's, but then we do not know what these many decades mean, how notes disintegrate and how the fragrance's balance shifts towards something else. In a nutshell, all these smell very much like belonging to today's Caron fountain extrait line-up!
    Have a nice Sunday all!

^ Thanks for sharing your thoughts, L. I've never actully read 'the guide', but I understand LT & TS don't think much of today's Carons. From all the the vintage samples you've kindly sent me, I must say I don't find the current extraits inferior. In fact, I think Caron are perhaps alone in having reproduced so faithfully their extraits over the decades. As you say, it is impossible to know how these vintages would have smelled fresh off the production line 50 years ago, but still, not much seems to have changed. Would you agree ?

SotD is Bois des Iles.

Enjoy your Sunday, all.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. SotD is Tom Ford Neroli Portofino.

Sounds like I missed a fair bit yesterday -

(((30 Roses))), thoughts are with you at such a mentally stressful time. Take care of yourself and remain optimistic - you have our respect and admiration for the way you cope under such difficult circumstances.

Commiserations to RHM over the job - their loss IMO.

Vivacious and elegant, Mrs E ?. Business as usual then

Congratulations alfarom - here's to many more
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 2nd September 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Ninfeo Mio, a quiet whisper of ending summer

SOTD: Amouage Opus I
    Also tested Chanel Coco Noir, Dior Patchouli Imperial and bought Oud Ispahan.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    In fact, I think Caron are perhaps alone in having reproduced so faithfully their extraits over the decades. As you say, it is impossible to know how these vintages would have smelled fresh off the production line 50 years ago, but still, not much seems to have changed. Would you agree ?.
    That's exactly what I am hinting at. I haven't made up my mind on all of them, but the fog is lifting:

Tabac Blond - I have received two decants from kind BNers plus the vintage sample I had from TPC.
    TPC was the most current. It smelled exactly like today's.
    Decant No. 1 smelled like today's plus a clear Knize Ten leather vibe, immediately noticeable, but disappearing again gradually in the heart.
    Decant No. 2 smelled like Decant No. 1 plus loads of animalics that are detectable in the heart and very present in the base (think Lanvin classics).
    The much hated reformulation of Tabac Blond happened before Fraysse and simply was the overall elimination of the animalics in
    perfumery. Why Fraysse got rid of the Knize Ten vibe - I don't know. The real vintage deal is Decant No. 2, of course!

En Avion - they all smell very much alike (1980s extrait, 1930s and today's). The 1930s is too old to say. En Avion does not age well due to its notes. The 1980s has a somewhat 'opaquer' greener vibe, but is practically identical to today's. No relevant animalics detected in any vintage!

Narcisse Noir
    My not terribly old Narcisse Noir Extrait smells like today's. However, I was generously gifted with a decant of vintage extrait that had the civety base and it does mean a whole lot of a difference for this subtle, beguiling composition. The floral soapy blend is identical, but it is as if today's lost a 'dimension' minus the animalics. It's a tad dull and short-lived therefore.

Acaciosa
    Here you have one that I actually prefer in its current formulation The base, albeit not containing the faintly animalic touch of the vintage (I have a tiny 1980s ?? bottle, which is perfectly preserved) is smokier, more alluring today, ergo more wearable for a man, if one can say so for such a hardcore floral indulgement.

Pois de Senteur
    If the vintage sample is correct (which I assume given the expert source... you know who I am talking about, G. ), it is very much like today's, but leaning slightly more towards Acaciosa by being more overtly floral vs. today's that feels more 'talced'.
    The vintage sample is a stunner as it should come from the 1930s.

Farnesiana
    starts off identically, but the 1950s extrait gets so faint one me - despite re-application (double layer) - that it is impossible to say, therefore pointless on my skin. Even the current extrait has always been very low sillage on me. Maybe Sugandaraja is on to something (he claims it) that the vintage has a less sweet, pretty thing going on?? I can only guess with my nose pressed to my skin (Farnesiana is weird on me.).

Nuit de Noel
    I have no idea of the current, but my 1980/90s extrait smells much alike my old extraits (I have several small bottles), but the vintage smells sweeter, richer and fuller. I assume it is mainly 'concentration' and 'maturing' due to age.

Poivre
    I have a half ounce of vintage extrait, which is almost nothing like today's. I admit I was underwhelmed by it as I felt it was so very close to Or et Noir, just slightly spicier. Today's is a whip lash of spiciness compared, so much more daring. Did Fraysse want to work it out so differently? Must be.

Sorry folks for the long reply! All fragrances mentioned above are extrait concentrations.

Good morning all Today is a beautiful,sunny day.Just too bad I'm having a lateshift. Will go for a walk down to the beach not too far from work before the shift,though. 30Roses: I'm working with people with dementia and I can relate to how you must feel. Please take care of yourself too. Big hug to you.
    Sotd is a decant of Daim Blond. Really like this fragrance,but my nose is slightly blocked ( Think I'm about to get a cold) Have a great sunday all!

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply L.
    TB decant no. 2 sounds amazing. I have a vial here from you simply labelled 'TB vintage extrait'. I'm guessing it is no.1.
    As for En Avion - both your '30s and '80s extraits smell, as you say, very much like today's version.

Sorry for the hijack, folks ! You know how it is

You should form your own opinion, so we're working out the so far missing samples, G.!

I'm giving another skin test to Opus V. I still quite like the boozy-woody-iris opening but, after all, this is just a typical norlimbanol bomb a-la Montale/Nasomatto...Something like Aoud Iris could have made a better name for this stuff...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Giving L'Eau Neuve Figaro by Lubin a full wearing.

Hi all. Yatagan for me today, from a sample.

Congratulations to Alfarom!

(30Roses) and (RHM) thinking of you both today.

.from a sample

Congrats to alfarom!
    Last edited by easyfish; 2nd September 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks to Larimar and Gandhajala for sharing your thoughts on Caron. As a big fan of the house I was mystified by the impressions of LT/TS re the current versions. My own experience with the Carons goes back only as far as 2004 but IMO they remain recongnizably beautiful and complex.

((((30Roses))))) My heart goes out to you.
    ((((RHM)))) Jon is right, it's their loss. xxoo

Congrats to Alfarom!

SOTD is Crown Heliotrope, tender, powdery-sweet and beautiful.

Have a lovely Sunday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Z Zegna in anticipation of another hot, humid day.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Hi everyone! Ooooh budge up a bit. Aah, thats better. So, what have you all been up to? Is everyone OK? I haven't had time to catch up yet. The house move was, well, a house move. Enough said. This is a temporary move so we will be doing it all again!!

Most of the collection and samples were boxed up during the flitting. Over the past couple of weeks I have worn three fragrances extensively;

Santa Maria Novella Peau D'Espagne
    Santa Maria Novella Pot Pourri
    Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle

All very bracing and hardworking, all exeptionally satisfying to wear. They have kept me going.

Oh, and a huge congrats to my dear friend Alfarom on reaching 8000 posts.

28 la Pausa this morning for my tennis. Hope it doesn't go sour with dripping sweat

Good morning!

Anne Pliska

Good afternoon, all
    I'm in Dior Hypnotic poison. It's so creamy and delicious that I think I need to bake something. This, for example: http://totallyloveit.com/braided-cinnamon-rolls/ It's sunday, after all...

Congrats to Alfarom!!
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Basenotes Plus

Bibitry, feel free to send one of those cinnamon rolls in my direction

SotE - Rochas Man.

Good Evening,

Bibitry - If there are any buns left over that don't find their way to Jon first, could I be sent some too ? Being half Swedish, kanelbullar (cinnamon buns) were virtually a staple of my childhood diet and I have a particular soft-spot for them. Nom nom nom..

SotE is Eau des Baux.

Best to all.

CH by Carolina Herrera.

SOTE: Opus II

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR NICE WORDS BUT, MOST OF ALL, THANKS TO JON RODGERS FOR ALWAYS BEING THE FIRST ONE TO NOTICE EVERYONE'S BIRTHDAY AND MILESTONES! THANK YOU!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Acqua di Parma Profumo-vintage. Simply the best herbal chypre I have ever found. Warm, cozy, oakmoss. Suitable for either sex.

Good evening fragrant friends. SotM for an hour was the original Armani Mania. Pretty but very short lived. SotA has been what is becoming my current "go to" EL Amber Ylang Ylang. EdP still going strong in all its lovely vanillary amberiness.

Thank you to everyone for your good I wishes recently. They mean a great deal to me. I have changed my medication regime and things are now beginning to settle down, until next time.

Congrats to alfarom on 8k

SOTE

Basenotes Plus

Thank you Larimar and Gandhajala for your insights about Caron today, it was very interesting!

(((30 Roses and RHM)))

Congrats, Alfarom, on reaching 8,000 posts!

Foustie, I'm glad the move is behind you. You were missed while you were gone!

Alityke, so happy to hear that your feeling better, I hope it keeps improving.

SotD is finally Il Profumo Blanche Jacinthe, with notes of water hyacinth, galbanum,
    chamomile, orange blossom, jasmine and white musk. Very distinct green fragrance.
    I don't remember it being strong when I first tried it, but it certainly is now. Used
    the last of my sample and it's nice but I prefer Songe de Tulipe over this one.

serge lutens feminitie du bois today - perfect for todays weather.

Blog Entries

I'm at the mall sampling perfumes...was given samples of JM Blackberry & Bay for a sampling group. I'll start a thread for it tomorrow sometime.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SOT-morning was Helmut Lang cologne for a brunch out with family.

SOT-afternoon is vintage Emeraude that I found at an antiques market today.

Aventus day :-)

SotM was the very clean smelling and church appropriate Youth Dew. SotE is Bourbon French Anastasia, one of my favorite cozies. It is pouring rain here, great weather to stay home and listen to while lying in bed reading. No plans here for the Labor Day holiday tomorrow. It's supposed to rain again. Which is fine with me.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quick stop today, cuz family's underfoot ... Still have to catch up on reading your VIPs (very important posts).

Sexy 9 by Trish McEvoy.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Sampled Dune by Dior. I kinda like it..but there's something about it I may not like, perhaps one of the florals. Hugs to fellow fume freaks.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

PdN eau a la Folie

Slept last night in Mauboussin de Mauboussin as inspired by a recent thread by GenieJeanie. Had to work 11 hours today, re-applied. I love it. People around like it too, seems like, even in our 95F (+35C) humid heat.

You guys stay well.

Blog Entries

Heads up, ladies and gents, I'm going to set up the sample pass for JM Blackberry and Baytonight instead of waiting until tomorrow.

10 spray samples-- 5 groups, 4 people per group. Internationals can be last to receive if they wish. i'll post a thread.

Un Jardin En Mediterranee.

Basenotes Plus

I tend to go MIA when I am upset.
    Thank you Jon, Kiliwai, tdem & devilcat for your kind thoughts.
    Lots of stressors right now at home. Not good.

I made lasagna, from "scratch" and that was enjoyable.

Still wearing my Bruno Acampora Jasmine T from this morning. One thing about the oils, they certainly do last a very long time.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Hello everyone!

We're back from New York, although the best of the US Open is still to come ...phooey! Actually, it feels pretty great to be home, and it's not like I'm going to miss any of the tennis ....and now I'll have a glass of iced tea handy at all times, a comfy chair, and a kitty or two to pet ...not to mention a clean, unoccupied ladies room, lol! And there's just nothing like sleeping in your own bed after you've been away for a while.

I wore Chamade edc today, and now I'm back in glorious vintage Nahema for the evening.

Y'all have good night!

((RHM)) - sorry to hear things are so stressful for you right now ...hang in there, they always get better!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

JM sample pass is posted. Link is in my signature.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Finishing the day in Polo Crest
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon