Code of Conduct

Default Blown Away by VETIVER TONKA...

Guys, I walked into Hermes today looking to sample Ambre Narguille and Santal Massoia given the high rating - both failed me somewhat - AN was too sweet,i think it will take me 10-15 years to finish this! but yes its nice but not nice enough to invest; SM was no way near my territory, Poivre Samarcande was nice but it reminded me of Loewe No.7 in a way, that both of these feature pepper, then before i left the guy sprayed Vetiver Tonka on me and i was like...whoaaaa..wait a minute - uncluttered green..slightly smokey..even a little peppery, i like - but i came home and found out that on basenotes its being compared to Pal Zileri's Africa which costs something less than 3/4 of the price? is this true? is there something else very close? I see no similarities with Byredo's Bal D'Afrique (similar according to fragantica) besides the fact that both of this is green, Byredo's feature mangos prominently, or atleast this is what i get.

How about Fat Electrician by Etat Libre?

Sincerely appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Default Re: Blown Away by VETIVER TONKA...

Vetiver Tonka is a very nice scent for sure. As for the Hermes Exclusives, I have and like all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Vetiver Tonka is a very nice scent for sure. As for the Hermes Exclusives, I have and like all of them.
    Thanks i am deep in thoughts now contemplating being light as it is - i would have been a done deal if it was a 150ml bottle for this price, ouch but its only 100ml!

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Thanks i am deep in thoughts now contemplating being light as it is - i would have been a done deal if it was a 150ml bottle for this price, ouch but its only 100ml!
    If you want a truly remarkable vetiver fragrance, you should try Sycomore by Chanel. They have an exclusif store in KLCC.

I like Vetiver Tonka but, somewhat, I've never been able to pull the trigger on a full bottle. Alternatively, have you ever tried Fat Electrician? They're not exactly similar but they surely belong to the same neighborhood.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I like Vetiver Tonka but, somewhat, I've never been able to pull the trigger on a full bottle. Alternatively, have you ever tried Fat Electrician? They're not exactly similar but they surely belong to the same neighborhood.
    Yes, i wouldnt mind making this gamble first! but i read on basenotes that fat electrician is closer BVLGARI BLACK - and that scares me lol - how true is this? Vetiver Tonka has just officially blown me away.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

...How about Fat Electrician by Etat Libre?...
    Fat Electrician's vetiver is a bit more prominent, IMO. What i like so much about VT is the tobacco accord, especially in the heat. I prefer the tonka pairing in VT to FE's metallic vanilla. Both are great frags though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    If you want a truly remarkable vetiver fragrance, you should try Sycomore by Chanel. They have an exclusif store in KLCC.
    Yes i do know they have a store in KLCC thanks - unfortunately dirty vetiver like Encre Noire and Sycamore is not my thing - i really fell for ellena's transparent vetiver.

Blog Entries

I've never found anything exactly like Vetiver Tonka. Closest I ever found was Neil Morris Midnight Forest, and that wasn't even the same two main components (more live Pine Tonka).

It's a beaut!

Yes, i wouldnt mind making this gamble first! but i read on basenotes that fat electrician is closer BVLGARI BLACK - and that scares me lol - how true is this? Vetiver Tonka has just officially blown me away.
    In my vision, Fat Electrician is to Bulgari Black just like jumping on your bed is to being an astronaut....but it's porobably just me...
    Last edited by alfarom; 2nd September 2012 at 09:37 AM.

In my vision, Fat Electrician is to Bulgari Black just like jumping on your bad is to being an astronaut....but it's porobably just me...
    Haha Thanks Alfarom!

Haha Thanks Alfarom!
    I obviously meant "bed" LOL

I love it - bought a bottle and have a travel size for trips, it's great if you're flying. I haven't come across anything quite like it.

Sound Scents

I'm not a fan of Vetiver Tonka, unfortunately, due to its relatively high sweetness level. I recommend sampling Coeur de Vetiver Sacre by L'Artisan that is in the same slightly sweet vein as Vetiver Tonka (albeit less-so) and is much better smelling and less expensive, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Junkie

I LOVE Vetiver Tonka. I think it was one of the first vetivers that really made me realize just how much I was into vetiver.
    I can also heartily recommend Fat Electrician. Though not the same - they're not completely different either. F.E got that fantastic metallic vanilla-vibe to the vetiver, and it keeps drifting in and out. V.T on the other hand is this perfect blend of sweet and vetivery.

Great to hear you like Vetiver Tonka. It's a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    I LOVE Vetiver Tonka. I think it was one of the first vetivers that really made me realize just how much I was into vetiver.
    I can also heartily recommend Fat Electrician. Though not the same - they're not completely different either. F.E got that fantastic metallic vanilla-vibe to the vetiver, and it keeps drifting in and out. V.T on the other hand is this perfect blend of sweet and vetivery.

Great to hear you like Vetiver Tonka. It's a keeper
    decisions decisions decisions ...250 Vetiver Tonka or 80 dollar Fat Electrician..n the same vein VT it's this vetiver thats actually getting me into this wonderful root/plant..
    Last edited by benzganesh; 2nd September 2012 at 02:22 PM.

Vetiver tonka is my favorite fragrance. While there is no real replacement for an ellena creation, viaggio d'africa is the best cheaper alternative. very similar and quality juice.

Basenotes Junkie

Benzganesh: I'd sample both before you made up your mind. They are both vetiver-based, but oh dear they're pretty far apart signature-wise.

Vetiver Tonka is way smoother, with a more pronounced sweetness from that tonka. Fat Electrician got that vanilla / metallic vibe to it, and to me - less pronounced vetiver.

I find it hard to describe, but I URGE you to sample before you pull the trigger here.

For me - I LOVE both. Fat Electrician is kinda special - and I don't use it too often, but I feel damn good when I do. I used a lot of Vetiver Tonka when I visited Italy this summer - and it was fantastic in the heat.

Yes Fat Electrician is similar to Vetiver Tonka. But different enough to warrant owning both.
    Black and FE? I don't see the similarities.

for swap/sale:

It's quite nice, but I would find it annoying if I wore it too often. 1 oz of it could probably last me a good while.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Vetiver Tonka smells great and it's my favorite from the line, I just wish it had better projection on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    Benzganesh: I'd sample both before you made up your mind. They are both vetiver-based, but oh dear they're pretty far apart signature-wise.

Vetiver Tonka is way smoother, with a more pronounced sweetness from that tonka. Fat Electrician got that vanilla / metallic vibe to it, and to me - less pronounced vetiver.

I find it hard to describe, but I URGE you to sample before you pull the trigger here.

For me - I LOVE both. Fat Electrician is kinda special - and I don't use it too often, but I feel damn good when I do. I used a lot of Vetiver Tonka when I visited Italy this summer - and it was fantastic in the heat.
    Thank you for your note - unfortunately i live in Malaysia, and sampling for Fat Electrician is really way out of my league! since the brand is not sold here.

Bal d'afrique was similar to me, but even more so was Umbra from Ramon Monegal.

Notes from Umbra

Essence: Haitian Vetyver Root, Yugoslavian Tree Moss, Madagascan Black Pepper, Bourbon Geranium Leaves, Canadian Fir Balsam, Tonka Haricot.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Blog Entries

In my vision, Fat Electrician is to Bulgari Black just like jumping on your bed is to being an astronaut....but it's porobably just me...
    LOL!!!

No, it's not just you. Redneck Control reports that the Fat Electrician module failed to achieve escape velocity from planet Henri Bendel, and is probably laying on its bed somewhere reading Playboy. Meanwhile Bulgari Black had become an international space station, where James Bond and various new supermodels are having assorted adventures.

Vetiver Tonka prepares to launch the first private space shuttle to Bulgari Black....

VT is great, but it`s so quiet.. I prefer scents with a bit more power and strenght.

I like Vetiver Tonka but its projection and sillage is very poor on my skin, so I got Montale's Red Vetyver, which to me is very similar, I get great projection and 10-12 hour longevity. Plus its much cheaper.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I like Vetiver Tonka but its projection and sillage is very poor on my skin, so I got Montale's Red Vetyver, which to me is very similar, I get great projection and 10-12 hour longevity. Plus its much cheaper.
    I need to try this one - a lot of guys swear by it. They sometimes think it's more like things other than VT, but they're all very well-regarded scents.

Just ordered a sample of Vetiver Tonka last week, now I'm really looking forward to getting it.
    Last edited by misterjuiceman; 3rd September 2012 at 08:27 AM.

I am also by the way, getting a hint of Iso-E-Super from the Vetiver Tonka, but still love it; seriously twisting my mind to go in the way of Fat Electrician - 250.00 for Vetiver Tonka is just too much!

I'm not a big fan of vetiver, but Vetiver Tonka is a nice frag. Hermes gives a real generous size sample so you should be able to get a good idea of whether or not it's for you. Not for nothing, but another vetiver frag I dig is Dior Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I'm not a big fan of vetiver, but Vetiver Tonka is a nice frag. Hermes gives a real generous size sample so you should be able to get a good idea of whether or not it's for you. Not for nothing, but another vetiver frag I dig is Dior Vetiver.
    They did not offer any of us any sample, all i have is a scented card and i sprayed a little on my hand.

They did not offer any of us any sample, all i have is a scented card and i sprayed a little on my hand.
    They were very generous here in Amsterdam in the Hermes store. On my first visit they gave me 2x 4ml samples (Vetiver Tonka / Ambre Naguille) and the second visit even 4 samples (I picked two others but they added 2 extra VT's when I told the SA that I loved it).
    They also sell small 4x 15ml travel size sprayers here. Same price as the big bottle per ml, but you can get 60ml instead of 100ml. The good thing is that you can mix fragrances if you like other frags besides Vetiver Tonka.
    I'll go for 4x 15ml VT next spring I think. Love the stuff!

the best take on vetiver. very wearable and relaxing when compared to other vetivers