Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay Cologne sample pass, USA only

Thanks, kalli.

It's really true though that without SAs willing to share samples or let me decant, a lot of the passes we've done would never have happened. I'm still boggled when I remember the SA who gave us 111 carded samples of Penhaligon's to pass around, 2 years ago.

Wow, those are some pretty cool SA's. I'd be lucky to get one of those one time use packets anywhere. Stingy they are!

- - - Updated - - -

Blackberry Bay sample was sent out today.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Hello All;

I just wanted to post that I recieved my package and will be posting the pass tomorrow (sorry for the delay Hayven). I have purposely been avoiding this thread and any other information on B&B so that I get an uninfuenced impression.

This is the first chance that I have had to apply myself to this due to work. I wanted to have clear time to give this undestracted attention.

I have just applied it and I must say that it is amazingly natural smelling. I grew up on a share-crop farm and spent much time playing in the fields. Once I sprayed this I was immediantly transported to my childhood. One of the crops we grew was blackberries, although there are other notes I recognize from then.

Right now I have just applied a "sampling", which is two sprays to the back of my arm. Tomorrow I will post my full impression of the sampling, at which time I will do a full wearing and fully read this thread to my comparison.

Once again, thank you for including me 30R. Also, thanks to all the participents. This is my first time to participate in a sample pass and I must say that it is great fun. I would like to host my own blind sniff pass in the near future once I get some decanting supplies and if there is enough interest.

Regards,

A.

Yes, many thanks to 30 Roses for enchanting the assistant manager and hosting this pass!

I think I have enough left for another day of full wear and I will see if it will tell me new story. Also, I sent the second sample to Darkdreams today.

NDN-01 - I agree with you that it is very natural smelling, and not just natural, but also very homey. I think that's why some already taking very kindly to Blackberry & Bay.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, I think it's very natural smelling, too. It could easily be a room fragrance-- and probably will be, now that JM is selling reed diffusers.

The package from 30Roses arrived safely yesterday! Thank you so much 30 Roses!!! I will be mailing the samples on to Calilove today or tomorrow. I haven’t had a chance to sniff yet, but look forward to trying it! I’ll post again later.

I received sample (& some nice extras, thank you kalli!) safely today. Will start testing tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone spilled their vodka tonic on me! No, wait a minute...actually it's a greyhound. The tartness is hitting me in a way that makes my mouth water, not sure if it's delicious anticipation watering or precursor to nausea/vomiting. Hmm, maybe I need to lay on the bathroom floor with my cheek against the cold commode to soothe me & stop my head spinning.

A while later, I leave the bar & suddenly I'm 'energized', 'clean' & 'crisp'. Maybe it's the morning after, I had too much to drink & am feeling slightly hung-over and dehydrated, but I've had a shower with a sour citrus gel and I'm trying to get on with my day the best I can. Coffee, please! Close whiffs of my arms still causes some ancient reflex to activate my salivary glands.

So far, the top & heart of this cologne is somewhere between: OK...but not for me, meh! & get it off, get it off! Will report back later on the drydown.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm finding the drydown just a bit more palatable, but still, I find it quite flat and perhaps a tad plasticky\synthetic. This one was a bust, definitely not for me. While this new JM didn't work, there are two I've tested in the past that are just fantastic...White Jasmine & Mint and Dark Amber & Ginger Lily. Thanks for the opportunity 30 Roses & Kalli!
    Last edited by bookhouseshell; 15th September 2012 at 08:59 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for an entertaining read, bookhouseshell! Sorry that it didn't work out for you, but look at the bright side: you didn't buy a bottle of it blind!

That is hilarious review, bookhouseshell, thanks!

I am just checking in to say that I received the package from Whitefluffy. Many thanks to both her and 30Roses. I did not try it yet but I will soon.

My sample has arrived! Thank you, Genie Jeanie! Giving it a wear today, have just sprayed. Yes, believe we have a grapefruit topnote but it mellows out very quickly. I smell more bay & citrus at this point than berries. Back with more precise thoughts later!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 17th September 2012 at 02:05 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Just wanted to update: I mailed the sample to calilove several days ago, and the tracking shows that it has been bounced back and forth from the PO in my home zip code to the sorting facility across town a few times now. The tracking notes say it was “missent” twice. The USPS has been goofing up *A LOT* lately over here. I hope it arrives safely soon.

Aaarrghh! BN just lost my 3 paragraph write-up! Will try again over the weekend if the site seems any more reliable. Right now, I'm just swearing a blue streak- need to log off!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I'll try again! Not as rushed now and determined to get this post through, lol!

I am in Blackberry & Bay for the evening, making 5 days in a row I've worn this. Safe to say I really like it! Not only did it grow on me, I'm finding it addictive. The grapefruit in the opening is so sour it initially had me thinking it would head in a direction I wouldn't like. After more wearings, I see how that note works to keep the berries tart and just slightly sticky, like the real thing. I came to appreciate the grapefruit as an alternative to the sugary notes often used in berry scents. It's a pretty neat trick how that grapefruit reeled me in. The heart had me thinking "brambly" and after checking the Malone site for the official description, I see they indeed meant to invoke brambles. I've never agreed with a marketing campaign more than this one, the magazine ads are perfect, too.

Love this bay note, adds lift throughout the life of the scent. I don't find it especially green, more herbal aromatic. The drydown is my favorite part- still out in the brambles but the woods have softened and now my berries are in a bowl of cream. I find that sharp, sour opening contrasted with the cozy, woody drydown to be an interesting idea to wear. This is certainly pleasant and safe but by no means boring. Agree that this is very natural smelling yet still works as a compelling composition.

I like this so much it now has a spot as one of my favorite Malones! I think the only one I like even better is Lime, Basil & Mandarin. I think Blackberry & Bay will work well with lots of layering experiments, although I did try it with White Lilac & Rhubarb, which just overpowered B & B. WL & R probably really deserves to be worn alone, anyway; it's quite special. So is Blackberry & Bay and it is just great on its own, too- but I'm itching to play around with it in some more combos. Will definitely be draining this sample. Thank you so much, Lyndsay! Thank you 30R, our always wonderful hostess!

Basenotes Institution

I can easily see how this could become addictive. Ray and I smelled it yesterday at the Jo Malone boutique at the mall and instantly liked it - all afternoon I keep bringing that part of my arm up to my nose and re-sniffing. The overall blackberry effect is more 'leaf' than 'fruit', which is totally fine with me I love natural foliage/bramble accords. Ray dabbed on some of the Body Cream and it smelled even better and lasted longer than the fragrance. A candle, in this scent, would make any room smell delicious.

Note: There is another scent, in the JM range, that has a very similar note that I picked up in B&BC that I cannot put my finger on, and it's driving me crazy. Is it mint? Nectarine skin? Nutmeg? Whatever it is, it's unmistakeable. I wasn't aware of a Jo Malone House Note or overall similarity in all of their scents, but yesterday I couldn't help but feel that there's a part of B&BC that I recognize, since I've owned and gone thru several JM scents.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Mike, do you think it might be a note in JM Wild Fig & Cassis that you're thinking of? Although according to the official notes, they only share the cedar note.

I'm asking because I smelled something in B&B that reminded me of the discontinued Thymes fragrance, Fig Leaf & Cassis.

Also-- Hayven, did you receive your sample yet?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 25th September 2012 at 03:34 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I've never smelled that JM 30 Roses, but maybe it is the cedar?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Enjoyed reading your thoughts, Mike! I agree, this must be divine in candles. It's not often I find a scent that I enjoy for both home and personal fragrance but this one could make me happy in any form, I think.

Blackberry and Bay starts as a green, brambly berry on my skin. It is immediately reminiscent of L’Ombre dans L’Eau, but far less green, sharp and assertive. The bay surprisingly is a sweetened not overly “masculine” sort, and adds wonderful peppery, spicy, citrus herbal green elements. The whole composition feels light and “transparent” but the bay adds interesting complexity without being overwrought. The berry becomes fruitier, but is a tart, juicy, mouth watering berry—similar in feel to the berry note in Amethyst, only lacking the muskiness (?) of currants. An aromatic, perfumey element perhaps from the bay weaves pleasantly through the notes. It is thoroughly enjoyable, but after a time, I sense something that is reminiscent of room freshener, but in a good way though. Then it grows a little synthetic— I find this note somewhat disagreeable and initially think it might knock B & B off of my” like list.” (After reading some of the other reviews, I realized that this is the same note that ruins Pamplelune on my skin!!! Must be some kind of grapefruit related note?) Happily, the synthetic note does not intensify or linger long, and there is something surprisingly vanillic— it is a bit sweet like a tiny hint of the vanilla musk in Trish McAvoy No. 9 Blackberry and Vanilla Musk, but less sugary. A resinous note, like cedar or perhaps pine—keeps it from being too predictably sweet or gourmand with the berry and vanilla. The synthetic note goes away finally and overall the scent is still tart and yummy. Although there is some musk, it is nice that this is a take on blackberry without too much musk. It strikes me as more herbal, not very floral either. I appreciate the difference from the other blackberry fragrances I have tried. The heart stays centered on the clean, green tart berry but tempered with some herbal notes and light musk. There is still a citrus element, but it reminds me of the lemony scent of bay or myrtle, not a true citrus. The drydown seems really based in the woody, vetiver note and it smells lovely, and I could easily imagine the scent on my bf.

It was very light on my skin and although I enjoyed it a good deal, I think I would have to bathe in it! The cream Mikeperez23--- mentioned sounds great, and if I have a chance to layer them at a store, I will certainly see if that helps the longevity!

I read the reviews closely after sniffing, and was surprised that the grapefruit was so muted on my skin! The objectionable “synthetic” note was probably the only noticeable grapefruit element I got. Pamplelune is not grapefruity on my skin at all either; it is rather disgusting actually and I only keep my decant as a reference. I think B &B must contain a similar type of grapefruit note, but thankfully the gross note was very light on my skin. Otherwise, I somehow just associated the citrus I sensed with the lemony elements of bay leaf! I really enjoyed reading everyone’s differing impressions on this scent! I particularly loved how a relatively “simple” scent can still evoke such varied opinions. (I know, it’s a newbie observation, but one that never ceases to amaze me!)

Oh, and the USPS finally got it right and delivered the other sample to Calilove! Tracking suddenly showed it as delivered, and he confirmed that it arrived safely. Yay!!!! I suspect he will chime in here sometime soon.

***Thank you again *** 30 Roses for so generously sharing and facilitating this lovely sniffing experience! And thank you to the generous and understanding SA, Lyndsay, if she gets a chance to read this.

I received the sample package from NDN-01 yesterday. No need to apologize in the delay; you did a nice thing to send me those samples.

I tried the sample last night, and I love it. I used to have a blackberry "tree" (my parents let the bush grow tall and cut the lower branches off) in my parents' backyard, and we would pick blackberries off it. Most of the time, they ended up dropping on the ground and left a fragrance of blackberries lingering in the yard (they didn't smell rotten, surprisingly). The smell of the perfume is just like those "wild" tart blackberries. I also feel like I'm standing in the vegetable aisle, picking up and smelling the various herbs that have just been washed. I really want to buy this fragrance now!! Thank you for giving me a chance to be a part of this sample pass.

I had a brief test of this one. While grapefruit is one of my least favorite notes, I will probably steal another spray tomorrow. However, the sample is nearly full. Anyone wants it?

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I had a brief test of this one. While grapefruit is one of my least favorite notes, I will probably steal another spray tomorrow. However, the sample is nearly full. Anyone wants it?
    I'd love to have it darkdreams! I passed my sample on to another BNer to try & have regretted letting it go!!

please PM me the address.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    please PM me the address.
    Thank you DD! I've missed that little sample more than I expected. Sometimes a simpler scent just fits the mood. Hope I'm not being a scent hog!

NUDGE to my sample recipient to add a review!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    NUDGE to my sample recipient to add a review!

She did, in post #73!

It seems some of us are finding we like this scent. I'm not ready to go and buy a bottle just yet, though-- I want to try that body cream at Nordstrom and see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    She did, in post #73!

It seems some of us are finding we like this scent. I'm not ready to go and buy a bottle just yet, though-- I want to try that body cream at Nordstrom and see how it is.
    Sorry for any confusion, 30 Roses! I didn't mean PerfumedLady. I forwarded my own sample to another BN member. (You generously send one for each of us to keep!!)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Ah, sorry! I understand now.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on the body cream, 30 Roses! Scents seem to linger much longer on me with creams & the price is more reasonable too.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I will. I may take a drive up there this weekend if my daughter feels like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Monday:
    We drove up to Nordstrom yesterday and the JM rep made up a sample of the body cream, which am sending you, Genie Jeanie. Maybe you can then post your impressions of it?

I used the tester jar and bottle to test the body cream against the cologne, one on each forearm. The cream was less bright, lower-key overall-- not quite the same scent profile, but this morning, I can still smell the cedar note on the arm that had the cream, while the cologne is long gone.

My idea is that layering the two would increase the longevity of the cologne. (In fact, I've taken a dab from the sample- with a clean swab-- to try layering the two myself. will report longevity.) But the cream is not exactly a bargain, at $75, and as the scent is not really the same, I don't see it as a true substitute for the cologne.

Last edited by 30 Roses; 1st October 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I will. I may take a drive up there this weekend if my daughter feels like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Monday:
    We drove up to Nordstrom yesterday and the JM rep made up a sample of the body cream, which am sending you, Genie Jeanie. Maybe you can then post your impressions of it?

I used the tester jar and bottle to test the body cream against the cologne, one on each forearm. The cream was less bright, lower-key overall-- not quite the same scent profile, but this morning, I can still smell the cedar note on the arm that had the cream, while the cologne is long gone.

My idea is that layering the two would increase the longevity of the cologne. (In fact, I've taken a dab from the sample- with a clean swab-- to try layering the two myself. will report longevity.) But the cream is not exactly a bargain, at $75, and as the scent is not really the same, I don't see it as a true substitute for the cologne.

Oh gosh! Our thread kind of got lost at the bottom of the page & I didn't even see this until today. Mea culpa, 30 Roses!!! Though I sent you a pm when I received the cream, I'll share a bit with the others.

The body cream is definitely lighter than the perfume & while similar in essence, the dominant notes are quite different. The bay & cedar take the lead here & while the fruit is evident it's not nearly as strong. I agree that it would be great for layering, as creams usually have great longevity on me. But as a stand-alone scent I would have to go with the perfume.

Thank you once again for thinking of me!!!

BTW...did anyone ever hear from Calilove on this??

Blackberry and Bay wearing again, was too woody for me and I like woody. Hubby said I smelled like a wood shop, lol! And said it was a bit masculine. Think I have to agree.

Didn't hear from Calilove on it.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.