Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay Cologne sample pass, USA only

I was at Nordstrom today and had a wonderful chat with Lyndsay, assistant manager in cosmetics, about the new Jo Malone, Blackberry & Bay, which is definitely growing on me. I find this a calm scent.

Lyndsay generously contributed 10 samples for the purpose of a sample pass and discussion. These are 1.5ml official spray samples. Edit: Each of 10 participants will keep one entire sample. I know many of you don't live near stores selling Malone and may like to try this.

To be in this sample pass, you must have been a member of Basenotes since at least August 1, 2012, and must have made at least 10 posts.
    Men are also welcome. This is easily a unisex fragrance, not sweet.
    USA only, please.

I'm going to set up 5 groups with 2 members each.
    As soon as the first 5 people have signed up, I will send packages containing 2 samples to each of the first 5 members.

Each of the first 5 members will keep one spray sample, and mail the second sample to the person after them on the list for their group. Member #2 will keep his sample also.

Let's move this along quickly.

Post reviews or impressions, as you wish.

Postage for each of you to send the samples on to the next person will be only $1.95 to send a bubble mailer first class. (I just slap on 2 one-dollar stamps to avoid waiting in line at the P.O.)

Who's in?

Edit: I now have the names and shipping addresses of the first 5 members.
    As more people sign up for the #2 slot, they should PM their names and mailing addresses to the members who will be shipping to them (except that I already gave Genie Jeanie the address for PerfumedLady.)

- - - Updated - - -

Group 1:
    1. Genie Jeanie-- received
    2. PerfumedLady-- received

Group 2:
    1. NDN-01 received
    2. Hayven-- received

Group 3:
    1. kalli-- received
    2. bookhouseshell-- received

Group 4:
    1. cestrum nocturnum -- received
    2. calilove-- received

Group 5:
    1. whitefluffy-- received
    2. darkdreams-- received

The group is now closed to new members.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th September 2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: updates and changes

Default Re: Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay Cologne sample pass, USA only

I would love to join in, 30 Roses! I've developed an interest in this house, but have never had the opportunity to sample any of their scents.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Great, PM me your name and address.

Edit:
    Maybe I'm overly optimistic about interest in this scent? If there seems to be little interest I'll close the groups after we have 10 members, and then everyone will have one sample to keep and one to mail to the next person.

I think this one really is growing on me...3 stars for now but I find I want to wear it more. It's rather centering.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 3rd September 2012 at 03:55 AM.

I love the description of this scent from Jo Malone's website!

Vibrant. Verdant. New Blackberry & Bay. Inspired by childhood memories of blackberry picking. A burst of deep, tart blackberry juice, blending with the freshness of just-gathered bay and brambly woods. A scent of innocence. An irresistible collection to savour.

My childhood friends & I had many prickled fingers from snitching from a neighbor's bushes.

Give it some time, please. You know how it is with many people having a long(er) weekend, away from home, not having computer access from home, etc. Some people are just nice as they have already been recipients of your kindness in the past sample passes.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

True, Twolf. It's a holiday weekend and people are busy.

There's only one scent to test this time, though; in the past we did two Malones per pass. It's not a limited edition and I see lots of samples on eBay, so maybe people think it's not worth the cost of postage to pass it on. But I'll give it some time.

I hope people will feel free to participate no matter how many sample passes they have taken part in before.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 3rd September 2012 at 01:06 PM.

Too bad this pass in US only... I'll sit and watch you then.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

People aren't exactly breaking down the doors, lucasai...send me your address and I'll pop one of my 2 personal samples in the mail for you, while keeping the group USA only, at least for now.

Oh no! Keep them! There's no sense sending just this one sample all over the world. Costs of shipping will overprice the sample itself... And I'm not sure if something bad is happening or not but I for the last two weeks I didn't get any parcel from the States and at least one should already arrive, don't know wha to think about it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It might be slow on our end...I think mail is moving a little slower here than usual. The USPS has financial woes and has been reorganizing, shutting down many local post offices and sorting facilities. I hope your items arrive soon. Waiting can be nerve-wracking.

In the UK JM did a free sample if you "Liked" them on Facebook, as By Killian do. Did this happen in the US? It might explain the slow response

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

That's interesting, Alityke. Maybe they did that here too, I don't know.

Many or few, we'll have a little bit of chat about Blackberry & Bay, and I hope anyone who has tried it will feel free to add their impressions, pro or con.

I may not be online so much today-- have some things to do. I'll check in later.

updated:

Smelling it now, it occurs to me that Blackberry & Bay is a little like Byredo Pulp, minus the fig. It's also a little like L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, without the aggressive tomato stem note. It's less assertive than either fragrance, lower sillage and longevity.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 3rd September 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Twolf is right, think this will fill up now that the holiday weekend is coming to a close. Which is why I'm here to grab my spot! If possible, could I be one of the later testers? I have the giant Weil pass making it's way to me now but if you need me to be one of the first, I will make it work.

Just had Mr.PL play around at the JM counter at Saks last week but missed this one. He seems to like their ideas about layering as much as I do. We need one of those displays in our house!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I put you in slot 3 but I can move you to slot 4 if you prefer.

I'm interested. I've been wanting to try Jo Malone but just haven't made it around yet.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    I'm interested. I've been wanting to try Jo Malone but just haven't made it around yet.

Okay! You're the first person in group 2, so please PM me your name and address for mailing.

We're late getting out the door, but finally off now (whew!) Please, everyone, feel free to just keep on signing up and I'll assign you to slots when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Okay! You're the first person in group 2, so please PM me your name and address for mailing.

We're late getting out the door, but finally off now (whew!) Please, everyone, feel free to just keep on signing up and I'll assign you to slots when I return.
    Fantastic!! Will do. Thanks.

I put you in slot 3 but I can move you to slot 4 if you prefer.
    Nope, 3 is just perfect, no need to change! Thank you!

I got a sample of B&B in the way Alityke mentioned - if any UK basenoters are wanting to to try it, just PM me your adress and I'll send it out to you. It comes in a pretty little card box-holder-thing with the publicity photos on Sample now claimed
    Last edited by yellow_cello; 5th September 2012 at 12:59 PM.

Could I get in? I really do like some Jo Malones from what I've tried! Thanks so much!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, you're first in group 3, kalli-- would you PM me your name/mailing address?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm giving this a bump in the hope of getting more participants. Oh, too bad! It just updated.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 5th September 2012 at 02:22 AM.

Ooooh, this sounds lovely! If there is space, I would love to join in! Thank you for obtaining the samples and providing the opportunity!

I can send to CN after I am done if that works for you 30R.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've put you in slot 1 for group 4, CN-- thanks kalli but I'm trying to fill the #1 slots first so that the first 5 people can all be testing and posting impressions at the same time. When we get one more person to head group 5, I'll ship.

30 Roses, Twolf is right: I don't know if I can impose anymore on your kindness. But if you do need people to sign up, I would absolutely loved to. Your and Quarry's descriptions made me very intrigued. I do like berry fragrances, but can't stand L'Artisan's Mure at Musk. I am not very good at descriptions or picking notes apart, so it is doubtful I will be very good contributor; but definitely interested I am...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Okay then! We have five groups and I will mail out tomorrow to you 5. Meanwhile we can keep adding group members as they sign up.

Even if you've participated in every sample pass I've ever done; this is a whole new scent, so why not try it?

I've decided to cut the groups back to 2 members each. Each of 10 participants can keep one entire sample and mail the other sample immediately to the person after you (as soon as you have someone listed after you, that is!) This saves me a bit of postage and it will make the group more interesting as we all sniff and post impressions.

We still have 4 slots open.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 5th September 2012 at 04:57 AM.

I'd like to take a sniff if there is still availability, please!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

That's fine, Hayven-- please PM your name and mailing address to NDN-01, who will mail to you.

Room for 3 more members.

My husband has begun using the other of my 2 personal samples-- he finds it quite light and needs multiple sprays, and even then complains that it fades too fast. But then, he is used to one spray of Pulp! (Which lasts all day and announces itself to everyone around.) It is true that Blackberry & Bay is light, but I enjoy the gentle wafts of scent.

- - - Updated - - -

Mom (age 83 with dementia) walked outdoors and fell today, got herself a big black eye. She had to go to the ER to get a CT scan.

I have to spend overnight with her as she is confused and unsafe on her own. Will probably get the packets mailed tomorrow or Friday at latest. I know, I know...but they were almost ready to mail when I got the call!!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 5th September 2012 at 02:32 PM.

How horrible, 30 Roses!!! Sending big hugs to both ((you)) & ((Mom)).

And no rush - family first!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thank, Genie Jeanie. Mom slept thought the night, thankfully. I was surprised how comfortable the rollaway bed was and got a decent night's sleep as well.

I spent 2 hours orienting the new caregiver this morning (she had never provided care at Mom's residence before so there was a lot for her to learn.) I have to go back later to take a few more things over-- food etc.-- and I'll later have to orient a new person who will cover Saturday & Sunday, but as of now things have settled down to "minimally disrupted". I can cope with that.

I'll finish packing up the Blackberry & Bay samples and will get them in the mail today.

We still have 3 slots open if anyone else wants to sign up.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:

I'm heading to the P.O. right now to mail all 5 packages.

Hi 30 Roses,

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope everything works out with the new caregivers.

Have I actually read & responded to a sample pass in time to actually join? I would love to be included!

bookhouseshell. Good to see ya. Been a while since that blind sniff! You kicked butt with that Myrrhe Ardente guess..I remember, lol.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bookhouseshell View Post
    Hi 30 Roses,

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope everything works out with the new caregivers.

Have I actually read & responded to a sample pass in time to actually join? I would love to be included!

Thanks for the good wishes.

I've added you to group 3 and kalli will be shipping to you. Please PM your name and mailing address to her. (If you click on her user name you will see the menu to send her a PM.)

We still have room for 2 more members.

Got my samples today. Will give the scent a full wear tomorrow.

Your sample will go out on Monday, PerfumedLady. Looking forward to see if this novice can get close to what your more-experienced nose detects! Learn, learn, learn for me.

Thank you Genie Jeanie!

I am always learning still, too. I'm excited to be paired with a newer nose, I find much to learn from fresh sniffers. Hard to believe we haven't had you in a group yet, you've fit in so seamlessly here! It's about time! You'll be glad you did this, Malone passes are fun & easy learning. Looking forward to your thoughts on this!

Happy Sunday, fellow sniffers! Looks like I'm the first one to sample our scent, so welcome to the New Nose Review.

I must admit I was a bit surprised by my first spritz of Blackberry & Bay. Instead of the sweet berry note I anticipated, I was greeted by a big punch of tart juicy grapefruit! It's so very reminiscent of the opening of my Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune mini, but with a light herbal note as if the stem is still attached. As the dry down begins the blackberry note becomes more prominent. It's not the sweet, finger-staining aroma of the soft ripe fruit, but the slightly tart berry, still firm & reaching for it's prime. Upon dry down it settles into a very refreshing but soothing scent. Light citrus, softly herbal & quite wearable in the summer heat. The only letdown is the scent only lasts for about two hours on me, but I did find myself wanting to reapply. I like it!

Nice review Genie Jeanie! Glad you liked it. Mmm, grapefruit huh? Seems to be the note to use right now..not sure why.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

calilove is joining us.

We still have one slot open!

Dependent

woot woot!!!!

Just an additional little thought...

Though the citrus & berry notes did not have much staying power, I can still notice the faint scent of bay wafting from my wrists this morning!

calilove is joining us.

We still have one slot open!
    May I please have it? Whitefluffy already suggested she could send me the sample.
    Also, many thanks for your continuous efforts to educate and make happy throngs of perfume aficionados.

This is a quick one, just to say that package arrived safely! Thank you 30 Roses for this great opportunity! Quick first impressions:

Just as Genie Jeanie I was surprised profoundly with the blast of grapefruit! So far it is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit and more grapefruit. I will report later as the scent progresses on my skin. But I must say that this grapefruit is very natural smelling, and not as harsh and chemical as in EL Intuition. It is bright and cheerful and I can see why it would be so comforting and uplifting. Still waiting for blackberry...

Welcome calilove!
    Nice to see you again darkdreams!! Nice for us to finally have a full house here.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Just as Genie Jeanie I was surprised profoundly with the blast of grapefruit! So far it is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit and more grapefruit. I will report later as the scent progresses on my skin. But I must say that this grapefruit is very natural smelling, and not as harsh and chemical as in EL Intuition. It is bright and cheerful and I can see why it would be so comforting and uplifting. Still waiting for blackberry...
    Did any other notes peek out for you, Whitefluffy?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

darkdreams, you are the final member.

Glad to know you got the package safely, whitefluffy.

The group is now closed to new members.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Did any other notes peek out for you, Whitefluffy?
    Yes, actually, the blackberry finally arrived. It was very beautiful - comforting, yet sexy. I will give it full wear after shower tomorrow as we have a rare luxury of having a full sample to enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    ...we have a rare luxury of having a full sample to enjoy!
    Absolutely! Thank you for your generosity 30 Roses! (you're spoiling us you know )

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The generosity was that of the assistant manager who donated the samples-- I hope she has found our thread

It's good to have a full sample to test in this case; Blackberry & Bay is not one of the stronger JM fragrances and you really do need to apply more sprays than you do for, say, Lime, Basil & Mandarin.

Blackberry and Bay.. lemony-citrus tart berry..woody earthy, dark herbal..going to guess that's the bay..a little vanilla on the dry down? More woody notes. Gets a bit sweet as it dries down. Woods are dry...some florals not sure what. Sweet pea? Wondering if there is rose in this...if it's there..it's very light. Thought I picked up a sweet jasmine note.

Berries are under-ripe at first..a tangy, zingy tart blackberry. Woods, bay and something sweet smooth over the berries. Then a mix of light florals come in. A bit masculine. Clearly unisex. This is a light, refreshing scent. Reminds me of more of a splash than a perfume. There's a bit of a green notes going on...not really a grass but a deeper green...like a green note from a violet or iris but don't believe either is in this scent. Perhaps the green is from cassis/blackcurrant? Florals later become more white and clean. Pretty sure I smelled vetiver in there.

Nothing too complex here..just a fresh, clean, tart, zingy berry woody splash...with a slight bit of sweet on the dry down. Easily wearable for either sex, imo.

Thanks so much for sharing this 30R!
    Last edited by kalli; 14th September 2012 at 05:14 PM.

Love your review Kalli! I'm definitely learning here. Think that maybe I need to close out other distractions & just really focus on the scent at hand. Time for another spritz to see what else I can notice.

My first pass & I love the sharing of ideas. I think I'm in deep!!!

Lol..thanks. Some of those I was somewhat sure of..a couple were guesses, haha. I just was trying to figure out what added that sweetness. Vanilla was a guess...though not sure of that. And florals sometimes are hard for me to detect. Rose is kind of a tough one for me..not sure why..maybe I am a bit anosmic to it a little if it's not an in-your-face rose note. And not sure really if it's in there. Though there is a nice, light mix of florals. Not too floral that would distract from the rest of the composition though. I like that the florals are light and not overpowering..not distracting. A good balance of the notes I think. I don't think I smell vanilla on the dry down and it's usually a base note. Don't know what added the sweetness really.
    Last edited by kalli; 11th September 2012 at 05:37 AM.

Kalli I thought about vanilla too, though it is not listed on Fragrantica. I thought I imagined it or there is something else that smells like vanilla. The drydown actually reminded me of Deep Red by Hugo Boss.

Ack! I went into this blind without reading previous reviews here or other sites. Should I be taking that into consideration to see if I notice the notes described?? Help me out here ladies.

Madly spritzing more.

Fragrantica, I've noticed, doesn't list all of the notes a good amount of times. Upon reading..lotv was listed..which isn't on Fragrantica..rather it is mentioned on basenotes and other sites. I wouldn't rely solely on Fragrantica.

Genie..it's good to go in blind..to see what you pick up. I think? 30R, what do you think? Then you could go to reviews to see what others smelled or what notes were listed. Kind of comparing..re-sniffing, discovering..

Lotv..I am totally unfamiliar with this note..I didn't pick it up, I normally miss that one.
    Last edited by kalli; 11th September 2012 at 05:50 AM.

Seems that I miss a lot of notes right now, because don't know how to discern them. I need a big ol "sniff kit" of notes. But I do know that my nose will determine the slightest molecule of tuberose & say NOOO!

Back on topic.

With a second trial of the Blackberry & Bay I'm having a very different experience. The bay note is a much stronger top note & is trailed by the grapefruit. Maybe I"m subconsciously searching for the bay, as the drydown became my favorite part of the scent. I'm really enjoying this much more than the initial wearing. The grapefruit is definitely there, but comes in with a companion to the mix. I'm liking this much better & find the scent to be very unisex. It's growing on me.

Lol, I feel ya on the tuberose, haha.

Genie Jeanie..at some point maybe you could join in on one of those blind sniffs. They are fun and informative...I learned a bit from that experience-I hope! Lol. Also, places like Surrender to Chance and The Perfumed Court have sample packs focusing on one note. I got a cedar pack off TPC once..though I sure didn't pay 25 dollars for it..they must have raised their prices?

Here are links to both sites:

http://surrendertochance.com/brands/...?sort=alphaasc
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Categori...ple-Packs.aspx

Anyone know of any other sites that have note discovery sample packs?
    Last edited by kalli; 11th September 2012 at 07:12 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Sometimes a fragrance makes an immediate impression on me-- an image, a memory-- and in those cases I tend not to try to deconstruct the notes but just enjoy the whole.

Blackberry & Bay
    took me immediately to a location that I have never seen in person, only in a movie, but I thought, "That is what it would smell like to be there." It was a place of greenery, neglected by the people who owned the land, gone somewhat wild and very restful. (I will keep the location to myself, however; the impression is subjective and would have no meaning for anyone else.)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Absolutely! Thank you for your generosity 30 Roses! (you're spoiling us you know )
    right on!!! 30 roses is amazing!!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Folks,

I was allowed to decant a bit of juice at Anthropologie from the tester of the new Ineke "Floral Curiosities" fragrance,
    Sweet William,
    and am going to be starting a new thread for that this afternoon, soon.

Keep your eyes open for that.

Edit:
    That new thread is up, see here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...-pass-USA-only

It's okay to join the new sample pass even if you are in this Jo Malone one. We don't keep track!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 11th September 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Sometimes a fragrance makes an immediate impression on me-- an image, a memory-- and in those cases I tend not to try to deconstruct the notes but just enjoy the whole.
    I absolutely agree, many times I feel the same way too. However, very few elicit this kind of response and for that they are even more precious. Blackberry & Bay didn't do it for me, but I did enjoyed it very much today. I still can smell the drydown on my skin 7 hours later.

I can see how it would grow on the wearer with each subsequent wear. I still can't shake Deep Red associations, but BB is much nicer, warmer, and more natural than Deep Red. Second time around I could pick up blackberry right away and along with grapefruit it stayed all the way through the drydown. It is not just pleasant - it is comforting and uplifting in a soulful kind of way. I think that from all Jo Malone's I have tried so far, this one would be my favorite. I really love the balance between fresh and sweet, relaxing and energizing. It's a very good fragrance: maybe not an artful piece, but certainly an example of wearable art.

I also want to thank generous assistant manager, from the bottom of my heart - you are a very kind and smart lady
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 11th September 2012 at 09:58 PM.

30R, you are so awesome!.