Code of Conduct

Default Is there any originality left in the fragrance world?

It seems to me that EVERYTHING is a variation on a theme....I FINALLY got to test the much touted vintage Capucci Pour Homme and while I do like the fragrance, Numero Uno by Carthusia is almost a direct copy of this vintage scent... Which made think about the fact that many times when someone is trying to describe a fragrance, they preface it with, it reminds me of....a couple other similar copies that come to mind are Michael by Michael Kors= Phoenix by Keith Urban and Drakkar Noir= Caesar Man but neither of these are close as the Carthusia (which I personally prefer) and the Capucci frag.....

Default Re: Is there any originality left in the fragrance world?

IMO, there always seems to be at least something in its composition that makes one scent different to my nose from another.

They say the same thing about movies, music, fashion, etc.

Much of it has been done, but variations on a theme will continue, and modern technology (synthetics in the fragrance industry) will continue to push the creative envelope. I hope.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

To me perfumes are like light specters. To some the colors are limited. To others they are infinite.
    Last edited by Alvus; 30th August 2012 at 05:27 AM.

Everything has been done.

Gee, that was fun. Let's do it again!

Easily, you just have to know where to look, and put forth the effort as well.

I think 'original' today is what survived (well) until today in a way that it is unique - great classics, traditional feminines that are so out-of-fashion today that they make great 'masculines' today etc.etc.

The thing is, when I was getting more serious into fumes I was almost exclusively a niche snob, I'm not afraid to admit it. I looked down on the normal fashion houses with distane but now, that my nose is more tuned lets say, I can appreciate the old scents like Habit Rouge, Egoiste, Tabac Blond ect. I think that the classics are the most original and are the best.

I don't mind because it allows me to choose the one I think best and not feel that I need to own similar ones. If you want some really odd frags without spending too much grab a bunch of molecules/accords from the Perfumer's Apprentice and have at it !

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    It seems to me that EVERYTHING is a variation on a theme....I FINALLY got to test the much touted vintage Capucci Pour Homme and while I do like the fragrance, Numero Uno by Carthusia is almost a direct copy of this vintage scent... Which made think about the fact that many times when someone is trying to describe a fragrance, they preface it with, it reminds me of....a couple other similar copies that come to mind are Michael by Michael Kors= Phoenix by Keith Urban and Drakkar Noir= Caesar Man but neither of these are close as the Carthusia (which I personally prefer) and the Capucci frag.....
    Ah but have you tried R de Capucci? Nothing compares to that.
    Originality is overrated - it leads to creating difference for the sake of it and the abandonment of well founded ideas. It appears once in a while - usually by accidental discovery rather than deliberate searching. When it does come it usually only results in something worthwhile when manipulated by the hands of a master of what has gone before.

Banned

I certainly hope so.

The perfumiers' minds, although, at times, appearing as a herd mentality, are distinct and creative entities from which should flow inspiration.

Their credo should be:

Yes, everything has been done already but there are still some houses that are trying to push things a bit further...god bless O'Dri¨, Comme Des Garcons, JAR....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Everything seems to be a variation on set themes but once in a while you will test a frag which blows you away as you have not smelled its like before.

creativity is endless, perfumes are like books, movies, music

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I think it all depends on the development of your olfactory senses. Some pick up very few notes in a fragrance and find that they all tend to smell smililar. A more developed scense of smell will reveal to you many notes you had not previously over looked. That being said, their are some fragrances that do smell very similar to others. It's cheaper for the fragrance houses to develop them, less research etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Yes, everything has been done already but there are still some houses that are trying to push things a bit further...god bless O'Dri¨, Comme Des Garcons, JAR....
    plus one here. I would like to addSlumberhouse and Cherchi Nell'acquaCN has not seen much coverage here. If you have a moment take a look.

Regards Rex
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

You can create an almost infinite number of new smells and combinations but most people will ultimately prefer lavender.

It's easy to feel like there's no originality left when certain trends have been popular for a while, aka oud ect...

But that time will pass and a new fad will enter, first with a brand new and highly praised fragrance then more variations on that theme.

As with all forms of media/art there are the times where you feel bored with what's being released, but then something actually new comes along and you forget you ever had a problem. That being said, I've seen plenty of worthwhile releases in the last few years. Comparing it to music, maybe you're just like the parents that hear today's music and lump it all together as crap

In my opinion, yes, the many notes still leave quite a few unexplored paths the more audacious, non-generic, creative, quirky, imaginative fractions of fragrance houses and/or perfumers will one day be inspired enough to explore, tackle and popularize.

Plenty left.

It depends on your disposable income. A lot really relies on it.

The more of it you have, the more new perfumes will be interpreted as unique and not an overlap. The less disposable income and suddenly everything is unoriginal , boring or overdone.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by spoombung View Post
    you can create an almost infinite number of new smells and combinations but most people will ultimately prefer lavender.
    Heh.