Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Kind of had an epiphany, what do you think of my theory?

So I've been really getting into fragrances and how they work, but I've been having trouble projecting the scent. People kept mentioning that you should apply cologne to parts of the body that produce heat. I tried that and it just hasn't seemed to work, so I've applied a little more for each new day. I know I'm not projecting because I ask my family how I smell and they tell me they can't smell anything until I get up close.

My epiphany is that my natural body temperature is 96.7 F (35.9 C) and is a large reason as to why I don't project scents. How far off is my theory?

Also, for other people that have a hard time projecting, what is your natural body temperature?

Default Re: Kind of had an epiphany, what do you think of my theory?

What perfumes are you referring to? Some perfumes just naturally do not project.

But I do notice an immediate burst of vibrancy and radiance from my SotD after having a warm drink. But thats because I can feel my body warm up significantly.

How many sprays do you spray?

for swap/sale:

Heat makes a frag evaporate faster, and so it increases projection, but it also makes the frag last much less. And in general, the base notes in the drydown, while persistent, project much less than the top notes of a frag.

It is true that longevity varies a lot from person to person. I also tend to have problems with longevity. I don't think it's just a couple of degrees of body temperature, it has probably more to do with the type of skin (dry usually makes perfumes go away),
    and type of activity one is doing (again, as hedonist was saying, when you sweat, perfume evaporates more). It also depends a lot on the perfume, as hedonist was saying. Some materials are persistent but do not project well.

But in general, if other people can smell when close, I don't think it's an issue. I prefer when the scent is discreet. But if you want to fill the whole room, try spritzing various body parts as well as clothes (clothes keep perfume very well). Or adopt the Arabian style of spraying, which hedonist can describe in detail.

cacio

My guess is that you haven't hit on a fragrance yet with good projection.

I has to do much more with skin type and the fragrance. Body temperature doesn't vary that much.
    Last edited by Alvus; 4th September 2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: updates

Banned

Albeit body temperature will affect the projection in the short run. As Alvus has said, it has more to do about your skin type and the particular fragrance.

Spray more - at least, one on the chest; one on each side of your neck, just below your earlobe; and one on the back of your neck for sillage (your wake).