Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What drew you into collecting fragrances

I've always been interested in smells and the feelings they evoke - granny's face cream, new leather shoes, incense in church on sunday, the butcher's shop, even school dinners were some of my earliest obsessions!

As regards perfume, I have three older sisters so was exposed at a relatively early age to all the stuff they wore - Ô de Lancôme, Opium, Rive Gauche, Youth Dew, No 5, amongst others. Dad was also an influence with his Old Spice, Brut and Paco Rabanne. Cheapo frags were mainstay gifts from mates and family during early teen years (Tramp, Lace, Le Jardin), and from there I graduated to Nina Ricci, Samsara, Ysatis and other big 80s frags.

Then I entered the fragrance 'wilderness years' while concentrating on study, job and family. My mother-in-law detected my dormant love of perfume, and bought me The Guide as a gift a few years back. My initial scepticism lasted for about a minute and then I was hooked. It helped enormously that by this point I had the time and spare cash to indulge, and was at a stage in my life when I was in desperate need of an outside interest that was just for me. I don't regard myself as a collector - I just like the stuff!
    Last edited by devilcat; 12th September 2012 at 09:47 PM.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Local mall got a Bath & Body Works (yeah, I live in the middle of nowhere, this was big doings for us) and if I smelled another person drenched in effing Sweet Pea or Warm Vanilla Sugar (barf) I was going to SNAP.

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    An overwhelming desire to get laid…
    same lol has turned to a passion
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Since my early teens I have worn fragrances, stuff from Avon and Yardley. In my twenties it was predominantly stuff like Aramis , Kouros, Chanel PM and Zino. A few years ago I saw an article in a magazine about Penhaligons, and bought some samples. That started things. I still only had a few fragrances, but then I came across Basenotes and a whole new world opened up.

I'm not a collector though, just a wearer.

Plus what Trebor said...
    Last edited by jcrich; 15th September 2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

I've loved perfumes since I was a little kid and used to filch my mother's and my aunts' precious frags. They gave me my first perfume - a now-discontinued scent called "Audacity" - to keep me away from their dressing table drawers!
    More recently, in 2009 I was lucky enough to book a consultation with the wonderful James at Les Senteurs, as I wanted to enlarge my range beyond Paris and First. He sent me away with six gorgeous samples, including what's now my absolute favourite, N'Aimez Que Moi. And my perfume OCD took off from there!
    This site has contributed enormously to my knowledge, experience and credit card bills!

Spraying on something that just makes you go 'Wow, that smells fantastic!' or just discovering new scents you haven't tried before. I love that fragrances can evoke such strong strong imagery that transports you elsewhere or that it can bring back memories that you'd forgotten.

Dependent

wanted to be more approachable
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Blog Entries

Ever since I was a child I loved how things smelled...flowers, grass...even dirt. I love odors and have been drawn to that "magical" fragrance that will touch my soul