Code of Conduct

Default What do you do when you love a Basenote but don't care for the rest of the drydown?

I was given a bottle of Chanel Allure which I have used for the last little while. My wife doesn't like it. I'm not sure if I like it.

Here's the thing - I really don't enjoy the opening or the midnotes to this frag, but I love the basenote. It just seems to match my skin perfectly. My wife snuggled up to me last week and wanted to know what I was wearing - then wouldn't believe me when I told her.

I have the opposite feeling with Terre d'Hermes. I love everything about it except what it leaves me with at the end.

What do you folk do in this situation? Do you wear the frag for the highpoints or tend to ignore it altogether?

Default Re: What do you do when you love a Basenote but don't care for the rest of the drydown?

Personally as a collector and wearer that really doesn't bother me that much.

Default Re: What do you do when you love a Basenote but don't care for the rest of the drydown?

I'll still wear and enjoy a frag, even if I don't enjoy the top-notes all that much...as long as I really love the drydown and the top & mid aren't too bad or don't last for too long. Gucci PH2 is a good example of this for me. I love the opening & drydown, but the middle isn't really my favorite. I still wear it & find it a nice frag, however, because at least I don't greatly dislike the middle and it doesn't last all that long, whereas the drydown lasts quite a while on me & I enjoy it quite a bit. For the most part, though, I tend to gravitate toward & more often wear the frags I really like the whole way through.

Dependent

wear it if you enjoy theres to many out there to just wear for ending
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I suppose you can spray it on hours before leaving, so that all you are left with is the basenotes. Only problem is, it will die down within an hour or two of you enjoying it.

Just do "The Bigsly"!

Banned

I wear a fragrance for its total composition, and will not waste my time or energies to "get it."

There are too many other fragrances that may appeal to you in toto, rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, so to speak.

Sell or trade the Allure Homme by Chanel and Terre d'Hermes, and get something that you totally enjoy.

I would not purchase a fragrance if I only like part of it, I have to like the whole development.

Concentrate on single-note fragrance (or at least with one dominant note) and/or branch out into essential oils.

Those are the frags that drive me crazy. As for buying...I only put a frag on my Buy list if I like the opening, and then love every stage afterwards a little bit more. If I only love the basenotes of a scent, then I'll come here and ask and/or research elsewhere to find possible scents that are close to the basenotes, but have a better collection of stages prior to it.

Then I compare. Hopefully, I'll find what I'm looking for. I also do this when I love a scent, but hate its longevity.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    I wear a fragrance for its total composition, and will not waste my time or energies to "get it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I would not purchase a fragrance if I only like part of it, I have to like the whole development.
    These posts ^^^^^ sum up what I think about this topic.

I agree with the opinion that there's too many choices out there to settle for something that you "aren't sure if you like".

Often times, flankers of a fragrance use the same / similar basenotes, and change up something up top so that a consumer smelling it on a strip will think it smells very different, whereas it's actually very similar to the original in the basenotes. Along those lines you may want to check out one of the Allure Homme flankers, such as Allure Homme Sport.

Thanks all for the replies. Yes - i agree - this one was given to me. I wouldn't have bought it myself. The TdH - I really love but haven't bought it yet either because the basenote just doesn't do it for me.

There are plenty of other interesting options out there - true enough. I was just curious as to what most of you do when you have a similar situation.

Thanks again