Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default September 2012 Blind Sniff Acquired Tastes

Please join us in sniffing blind -- I know there a Chandler Burr thing going on right this moment, but we have been first at it and have covered over one hundred fragrances in the last 5 years.

The theme for September Blind Sniff is Acquired Tastes. If you have not read Peter Mayle excellently witty book with the same name subtitled Expensive Habits in the most recent editions, please do yourself a favor and check it out in the library (or read selected pages from Amazon).

What tastes are acquired while sniffing fragrances? Not only we become very selective (choosy picky hard to please) in regards with the quality of the ingredients used, we develop certain fondnesses towards rare and unusual components, start distinguishing between the multiple variations (Virginia cedar, Madagascar vanilla, etc) of the aromachemicals, and pay more and more attention to the blending techniques. Truffles, as we know them, are one of the three most expensive foods (with saffron and caviar), but not everybody can delight in eating them.

Twolf is hosting, cacio who provided the vials and moral support, also knows what's in the packages.
    Blind Sniffers are: meowmo, Irina and Sybarite.

Everybody else, please kindly join us in reading, discussing and guessing.

Default Re: September 2012 Blind Sniff Acquired Tastes

I'm not even participating but so excited haha, will be following this closely to understand the jist of it more for my turn later on!

Basenotes Institution

DO participate, please. While reading the sniffers' descriptions of the fragrances, try to make your own educated guesses. Ask questions. Send PMs. We have had sniffs where the spectators would guess earlier than the actual sniffers, we have also had sniffs where a spectator sent me their ideas on what to specifically sniff for and the list of what it might have been. It is not just three people sniffing, it is a dynamic process for everyone who can read.

I will definitely drop by every now and then.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you for supporting us. The person largest sniffing organ is between their ears, and believe it not, it is not their nose.

Oh gosh - Wolfie is hosting this go 'round? Y'all are in for a dooooooozy!

The theme looks fantastic, of course ...very intriguing. I'll drop by when I can, too!

Good luck sniffers!!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exciting topic! I'll be getting the recommended book and following the blind sniffers' posts with interest. With cacio and Twolf involved, we're bound to learn a lot.

heart of ice

Great theme! Some fragrances are an acquired taste, for sure. Good luck, everyone!
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Basenotes Institution

Sybarite tells me he will be home tonight. Hopefully to find the package and start sniffing already.

Why don't we start today?

Please, dear sniffers, tell us all what you smell in A . General impressions, associations, notes, accords, development(s), comparisons, whatever you find necessary for a person who has never sniffed A to get an idea of what it is.

(Irina goes first with her impressions of A, then Meow will be first for B, and Sybarite will be first for sample C, OK?)

Ok, found it Twolf, so no need to direct me here. ...

And as mentioned in my PM, I believe your parcel's arrived & waitin for me at home, so we're practically good to go. (Yay !)

Firstly, l'd just like to extend my apologies to Meowmo & Irina for the hold up - Sorry 'guys' ! (*sheepish-grin*)

And to THANK Twolf & Cacio for hosting the Sniff !!! ...

.... So, now that we're all here, how do we kick this aquired-tastes-sniff-a-thon off then T & C ???

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT : Oops, I see we were typing at the same time ... AND ... you have already just told us how to 'kick-off'.

Can't wait to get home and get into 'Sample C'. ... Will report back as soon as I get my shnozz on it ...
    Last edited by Sybarite; 6th September 2012 at 03:21 AM.

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

queen of the universe

I will stay tuned. BN blind sniffs are the best!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Getting ready! A little suggestion/warning about A. It is not an acquired taste in the sense of sec mag or kouros, so you can happily wear it for the day if you so wish. But: it is extremely potent - so apply accordingly if you're going to work. For a friday night out, though, it's hard to beat.

cacio

queen of the universe

OK, cacio, now I am intrigued...
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Mmm, potent..I like that! Hehe, have fun on this sniff guys!
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Spray carefully, folks, for once you spray it on, there's no going back ...

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Sybarite, in case I was not very clear -- we are all working on a potent (*smile*) Sample A now, including you, Irina is the first to write about her impressions. You can add yours too. You can also write entirely different impressions from hers, but they have to be about sample A.

After it is guessed, we will all be working on sample B, and the person I would recommend to write about her impressions first is Meowmo. You and Irina will be adding your own thoughts, perhaps in multiple posts (about sample B) too.

After sample B is figured out, we will all be wearing Sample C. With C, I would like to hear not Irina's or Meowmo's, but YOUR impressions first. Somehow I do not believe it will be today or tomorrow.

I hope it clears some unnecessary confusion.
    Last edited by Twolf; 6th September 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Okay this sounds like fun
    I have a break and I have written some of my impressions on the first sniff upon receiving it.

A is very powerful and very feminine. Something I wouldn't wear myself, but can appreciate. Very loud and heavy with a bit of vintage feel, it has some power house elements in there (the 80's) with the classic very loud and now hard to find nitro musks. There is some soapy jasmine with rose combination, classic floral chypre as I can definitely smell some oak moss in there. I wouldn't say it's a vintage per se as it does feel modern with a mother load of aldehydes on top. It may be some Chanel stuff, will need to sniff the ones I have in my collection. But it also may be some of the older Poison variety. There is some fruit in there as well, powdery peach or apricot, but not in a Mitsouko kind of way.
    And the major headache upon first sniff is there as well, meaning the Iso E Super variety will be listed as 'woody amber' or 'cedarwood' or takes the place of labdanum in the chypre part. There is some faint patchouli as well fitting the brief.

I haven't tried the new perfume of Dita Von Teese but I can imagine it would be something like that.

I sprayed it on a perfume strip a few days ago and I can't see much development. The fragrance comes all the once in its fullness and slowly fades a bit but the character (strong powdery musk) remains.

Here are some visuals that convey how A feels to me:
    2strong.jpg thatcher.jpg WomanCig_446888.jpg america-next-top-model-antm-season-12-aminat-green-powder.jpg

Hope to share more soon
    Thank you for having me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    @SomethingSmelly

Basenotes Institution

Wonderful, Rosie the Riveter -- a muscle girl -- and Femme Totale at that, takes the grand prize.

Two other sniffers, chime in, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Wonderful, Rosie the Riveter -- a muscle girl -- and Femme Totale at that, takes the grand prize.
    Yes indeed, I will add other adjectives at that (all meant positive/empowering): butch, bossy, dominatrix, bitch, feminist
    @SomethingSmelly

Great insights Irina, I think you nailed it on several dimensions. Powerhouse, 80s style (though it need not be from that decade). The reference to Poison is interesting because my previous post was actually an obscure citation (clear only to me and to the few other people that use the same references) that started as: ".. like Poison and ..., use carefully ... there's no coming back". So we definitely get the vibe.

In terms of notes, I agree with your notes, but I just checked fragrantica and it's a little strange. There are very many notes in there (so complex is the perfume), but not some of what I think obvious. Yes to jasmine and patch, and some fruit (but not the ones you've listed); oakmoss is not listed there (strange), nor is cedarwood or woody amber.

To give some further help, I must say that some of the cultural associations could be misleading. In fact, I'd say feminism is out of the picture.

But I'm overstepping Twolf...

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Cacio, you are doing just fine. Helped me out a lot while I was away, actually. Great recap on the structure, references, notes, and cultural allusions.

Now we would like to hear from our other two sniffers, please? What do you sniff? What do you think while sniffing?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone would like to make a guess at this stage?

Thank you, Cacio for the insights Hope I'm not the only one to check in regularly. Not so much interested in guessing as I would not wear/buy this. But I am intrigued

Maybe the hosts can give some other clues? Like what movement or art? Niche or designer? 1 or more perfumers? etc.
    @SomethingSmelly

Basenotes Institution

Movement of art -- historical expressionism.

Niche or designer -- I will let you guys discuss among yourselves, right here. But we need other sniffers to post something, at least. I do not know why there is lack of responses. We need more impressions, please?

Have you waited until the dryout? Does the drydown change your point of view that sample A has chypre tendencies?

- - - Updated - - -

I will go now and work some more. I will be home in another 4 hours. Sybarite, you please post something, OK?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, and I chose that order (Irina first with A, Meowmo -- with B and Sybarite -- first with C) on purpose -- I tried to do the research and pick the ones that would be the least favorite of the three for each of you to describe.

Movement of art -- historical expressionism.

Niche or designer -- I will let you guys discuss among yourselves, right here. But we need other sniffers to post something, at least. I do not know why there is lack of responses. We need more impressions, please?

Have you waited until the dryout? Does the drydown change your point of view that sample A has chypre tendencies?

- - - Updated - - -

I will go now and work some more. I will be home in another 4 hours. Sybarite, you please post something, OK?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, and I chose that order (Irina first with A, Meowmo -- with B and Sybarite -- first with C) on purpose -- I tried to do the research and pick the ones that would be the least favorite of the three for each of you to describe.
    Thank you I gave it another sniff and I'm fine tuning. Jasmine> gardenia> ylang? There is some water or watery floral note there too (=florhydral that sometimes gets marketed as water lily or lotus) Fruit: bergamot/lemon/mandarin and some kind of berries (black currant)? There is vanilla and maybe chocolate, some gourmand spices with an earthy vibe (reminds me a bit of truffles?). There is incense too. Are you sure no amber? The Iso E Super may also be listed/marketed as vetiver and sandalwood?

Does this make more sense? I get an oriental vibe now and less bitchy

Sorry major headache now, need to stop, time to bed for me anyways

Ow and THANK YOU, dearest Twolf for teasing us
    @SomethingSmelly

Oops so sorry 'guys', I was a little later than expected getting back home. BUT on a positive note, parcel was indeed waiting for me at home, so I do have the samples. (Yipee !)

However, I've just realised that for my very first blind-sniff I've had the hard luck of being paired with a veritable "professional-notes-detector" (i.e. Irina) - which is rather intimidating to say the least. And so much so in fact, that I think just the thought of it has got my nose somewhat retreating with it's 'tail between it's legs'. (LOL) Or else I don't quite kno' what else to blame for my nose being so dumb-struck, as it seems. ... I mean, I don't think I'm too bad on detecting notes usually, I even pride myself on it. ~ Or else, I've just got me my very first blind-sniff rude awakening & it's the whole starting from a reverse point of view, i.e. blind - and the whole not knowing what the actually notes are first, that just makes them so much harder to detect, if you don't kno what you're looking for beforehand.

Ok ... ahem ... let's see ... what can I say about 'Sample A' then ... (???)

First I'll start by saying I haven't got the first clue what it is. ... And all I got in that initial onslaught (which is indeed 'potent', as Cacio put it) - no exaggeration there. ... I could get nothing but aldehydes & musk. - Musk, musk & more MUSK !!

And then it stayed like that for a good 3/4 of an hour or so. (Altho' it remained more like so on paper than it did on skin.) - On skin the aldehydes finally started to recede, and it slowly opened up a little so you can start making out some notes breaking thru the everpresent 'musk-mask'. ... The musk never goes away, and yes they also felt somewhat of the 'nitro-muskish' variety to me. And yes I agree with Irina in that the first thought I got was that it did have a 'Chanel-ish' vibe to it for me too. Altho I couldn't place which one exactly, so I don't think it actually is a Chanel, altho if it were to turn out to be one let's say I wouldn't be surprised. ...
    It also stated to loose it's 'Chanel-ness' for me as it progressed. (So perhaps it was the 'aldehydes' lending it that vibe for me ???) ... And as it progressed these are the only notes I managed to detect peeking thru : the usual rose and jasmine combo. Altho' the rose is subtle, it's not a "ROSE" feature. Just subtle rose as more part of a general 'floral' heart. Perhaps a bit of ylang-ylang and violet too (?) Tho I'm not entirely sure 'bout the violets as they were there some minutes and then not again. Like peek-a-boo-violet. - So ... ???
    I could detect some soft fruits, but subtle almost like 'peach-skin', but that could almost be more like in 'texture' than actual fruit itself (again ?) - as it's in no way a 'fruity perfume' as such. ... I could also detect a soft patchouli, but it's a subtle and clean patch. (Unless it gets more apparent towards the drydown (?) which I've not entirely reached yet.) ~ But then I'm also rather quite a 'patch-whore', so unless it's rather full-on, it tends to always feels rather too subtle & 'scrubbed' for me. But, no, the path is soft and subtle to my nose. ... And there is definitely lots more going on here that I've just got NO IDEA about just yet.
    So far it doesn't feel very 'woody', or even slightly woody (or at least not "yet" anyway) for me. Tho I'm sure I sense a touch of vetiver coming thru (?) ... What STILL remains tho' is the general musk signature - it's still here, and it ain't going anywhere (AND it's a rather clean musk too - NO raunch here ! - which is rather unfortunate)

BUT that is all I'm going to say for now ... I'm going to concentrate a little longer, & wait for it to progress and drydown some more before I say anything else. ... (But it is starting to feel somewhat more familiar to me now - tho' I still think I've never encountered it before.) .... Turning it over for a bit ... Over to you Meowmo

- - - Updated - - -

[snip] ... Oh yeah, and I chose that order (Irina first with A, Meowmo -- with B and Sybarite -- first with C) on purpose -- I tried to do the research and pick the ones that would be the least favorite of the three for each of you to describe.
    Twolf I must absolutely congratulate you on the above. If that is what you intended then I must say that I'm surprised and MOST pleased to tell you that you absolutely NAILED it !! ~ 'Sample C' is indeed the sample I liked least (& by FAR ! - In fact, without wanting to insult anyone, I think it's just plain dire, just awful !) - and it would indeed be the one I'd least like to describe for sure. - So someone give Wolfie a medal here ! (*standing-ovation*)

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. ... You know, I don't kno if it's because I can't smell past the 'musk' , but I can't seem to decide weather I do think this is a chypre structure or not. ... At first I didn't think it was. - But then as it progressed it started to have more of a slight "vintage-y" vibe to it, and then it almost did feel somewhat 'chypre-ish' for a while. ... But then at the same time I'm not really detecting any of the requisite 'bergamot-top & oakmoss-base' - not at all - so therefore no, I don't think it is one after all. (??) No definitely NOT a chypre ! ... But it could be cause the musk is just masking everything else for me. ...

I was almost thinking , you know this is probably what I'd expect Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDP to smell like - (BUT this is not a guess as such, as I have never actually smelled it before. - But having never smelt it, this is what I'd expect NR to smell like, for some reason. - Must be all the 'musk' I presume.)

ALSO ~ ... I think I've just got me some Vanilla notes peeping in at the bottom ... (?)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 7th September 2012 at 07:54 AM.

Excellent, we have some more notes. As said, this is so complex that all the notes mentioned are probably in, but fragrantica has a strange list of notes. Anyway, yes to vanilla, sandalwood and vetiver in the drydown, and ylang ylang. I do feel that incense is part of the equation, but it's not listed there.

Also another step in the right direction is the classification as floral oriental. This is definitely an important hint. Perhaps some chypre-ish tendencies, but definitely not a chypre in the traditional sense.

As you think, pay attention also to the non-olfactory hints we've dropped here and there. And feel free to pm guesses, guesses are free... Other food for thought: niche or non-niche?

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Thank you, cacio.

Let's hear from Meowmo.

Sybarite, please use the black color, various colors are distracting and hard on these eyes. Thanks.

That's the plan: to hear first from the people who like Fragrance ____ least, and wait for everybody else to discuss and argue.

We have not had any guesses yet.
    Last edited by Twolf; 7th September 2012 at 01:41 AM.

Oops sorry about the diff. colours' T' - and here I thought I was making things better.

Ok I'm really glad that it is a floriental (altho' I find it rather light on the 'oriental' side quite frankly) as I would have gotten worried if I had not recognised it as a chypre had it been one, which I was pretty sure it was not. ... Persoannly I would have classified it as a 'floral-musk'.

I didn't get any of the sandalwood (altho maybe that is still coming ?? the very last to remain on skin) ... What I got most in the drydown was vetiver over light vanilla and that was pretty much it. (And the faintest trace of musk still which is now more 'laundry' musk.)

Personally I find this rather quite strongly leaning towards the feminine side. And I'm not sure I would wear it. (Not cause it's too 'femme' or anything) but rather cause I'm just not particularly a fan. The musk was just far too much for me. (And not that I've got anything against musk either, but this particular musk yes. Which was just unrelenting.

You know I wouldn't even kno were to start guessing. ... But I'll start with : I'd say this is not a niche frag , but feels far more designer to me. ... (As a side note, based on just a very brief cursory sniff, only 'Sample B' seems like it could be a 'niche' frag to me.)

- - - Updated - - -

I got no amber in the drydown at all , and you mention incense Cacio, but I must admit I didn't get any incense either. ...
    But I do think there was also maybe some other floral notes that I've missed out, I don't think gardenia, but perhaps lily-of-the-valley ? - Was there any l-o-t-v by any chance ??
    Last edited by Sybarite; 7th September 2012 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    However, I've just realised that for my very first blind-sniff I've had the hard luck of being paired with a veritable "professional-notes-detector" (i.e. Irina) - which is rather intimidating to say the least. And so much so in fact, that I think just the thought of it has got my nose somewhat retreating with it's 'tail between it's legs'. (LOL) Or else I don't quite kno' what else to blame for my nose being so dumb-struck, as it seems. ... I mean, I don't think I'm too bad on detecting notes usually, I even pride myself on it. ~ Or else, I've just got me my very first blind-sniff rude awakening & it's the whole starting from a reverse point of view, i.e. blind - and the whole not knowing what the actually notes are first, that just makes them so much harder to detect, if you don't kno what you're looking for beforehand.
    Sweetie, please don't do that *hug* I'm just in training and I know for sure that many BN-ers are better at this than I am. For example when I have detected a specific aromachemical it's hard for me to smell pass it and see the whole again. Like with the green touch for me (Iso E Super + veramoss) my mind can't decide between calling it vetiver, sandalwood, oakmoss etc. meaning I've been 'taken by the nose' LOL

(and for some reason, maybe it's the English, on the net I come across harsher, irl I'm a shy, nerdy, enthusiast mad scientist that loves to hug and bake)

So please do disagree with me, that's only helping me to learn!

Another issue with such threads (I've seen it with CB's project too) is that one can hardly resist being influenced by what others have already written about it.

I'll do a note search in fragrantica just for fun later
    So far this have been confirmed by Cacio:
    floriental
    jasmine
    patchouli
    ylang
    vetiver
    sandalwood
    vanilla

I would also guess niche as it's nothing I have smelled lately at Sephora's or the drugstore. But then again I only have a small collection of mainly samples.
    Last edited by Irina; 7th September 2012 at 06:49 AM.
    @SomethingSmelly

Ok this is REALLY strange , but I've just resprayed S-A once again, as it had completely died. AND surprisingly I am liking it a hell of a lot more this time around. But not only that but it is smelling COMPLETELY different to me now. Now I'm not getting anywhere near as much musk as before and not getting anywhere as much rose, and also much less aldehydes. . ...

BUT what I did get first this time was a massive jasmine and ylang-ylang blast more than anything else at the start. Still get no citruses. And I can identify the fruit at all.

Do I have to give guesses via PM rather, by the way ??