Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: September 2012 Blind Sniff Acquired Tastes

Quote Originally Posted by meowmo View Post
    BN back up!! HURRAH!!!

Seriously I cannot even EXPLAIN my anguish trying to keep researching yesterday without having feedback from yall.

*hangs head in shame*
    Don't worry, hun *hug* These hints from the hosts are very good: rose soliflore, rose absolute & minimalist (even if I really don't agree!), 3 stars in the perfumer guide + location (1 of the 3 above). I managed to just guess by re-reading the guide based on these 3 tips. Re-reading the guide was fun and even with being so busy very do-able

I don't get the Bewitched hint though
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Try again cacio....

Thanks for the love, Irina! Unfortunately, I don't have The Guide! ACK!

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Hey we are finally back online - YAY !!

Somehow every single time I've tried to sign on to the thread these past few days - BN's been basically 'dead'. (As I'm sure you all noticed of course). ... but seeing as I've been having problems with my broadband dongle - I even started thinking perhaps the problem lay with my equipment.

And I've had so many notes running thru my head. ... Which I really should've jotted down, cause now most of them have slipped my mind again. (Damn !)

Will try reconfigure & reassimilate my thoughts re 'C' - & will be back ......

But meanwhile if I had to give two words to C they would be "Victorian Rose"

A_N_D ... Still need to catch up on all the posts I missed & all the dropped hints too. ...

Plus CONGRATS to our two 'super-sleuth' non-sniffers for the correct guess - VERY well done !! - (Count me amazed !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 20th September 2012 at 06:59 PM.

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

"Victorian rose" is the right neighborhood.

cacio

Got 10 PMs. Plz give me time to read and I will be back, OK?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations to Irina.

OK, meowmo and Sybarite -- put your two brains together and figure C out, please. Meow is almost there with her Elizabethan Rose and the old house who is still supplying European Royal Courts with good smelling stuff.

Sybarite, nice to see you. Your assessment of Victorian Rose is absolutely right -- that Queen Victoria used to say "We are not amused" on that Bewitched episode. Start sending your guesses, please. Sometimes it takes like 10 to 15 tries, you know?
    Last edited by Twolf; 20th September 2012 at 07:16 PM.

And yep - Irina what IS it (or could be) that gives C that "banana-ish/nail-polish-remover" top note(s) ? - As I get it too, loud & clear in the opening, & find it truly awful ! - (Thankfully it soon vanishes - BUT this is certainly not a pretty scent those initial moments out the bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops yes, sorry I've been so meagre with the guesses. But each time I've been about to send one in, something or some element would change my mind. And since that would then mean I'd be pretty certain they'd not 'be it', I thought better of just sending in bunches of incorrect guesses.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 20th September 2012 at 07:29 PM.

No PMs yet. I will have to go and work some more in about 1 hour.

- - - Updated - - -

Got another incorrect guess. Guys, it is NOT Penhaligon's Elizabethan Rose. We have already figured out -- C's rose is Victorian, from British gardens growing either Bulgarian or Turkish or Moroccan roses.

We have a correct guess from meowmo as well.

cacio

Congratulations to meowmo.

We have two more incorrect guesses: it is the same fragrance that two people in the very beginning of guessing C thought was Fragrance C (as per #199). Irina and meowmo both also thought that it is C, at some point. Well, it is not.

Sybarite, please guess.

And to answer Twolf's earlier question ...

... i.e. As to who between "A/B/C" would wear Sample-C - I'd say out of those choices I'd probably go with A-Thatcher. (LOL)

Been trying to think of whom else I could see wearing it besides (???) ... And you kno' what - I can't think of anyone else better suited now that "Thatcher" is occupying that space in my mind's eye (LOL)

Will keep thinking about it .....
    Last edited by Sybarite; 21st September 2012 at 02:32 AM.

Sybarite has submitted a correct guess. (Was somewhat like pulling teeth, wasn't it?)

Will wait until tomorrow for more guesses and will reveal tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    [COLOR=#ff0000] [snip] ... (Was somewhat like pulling teeth, wasn't it?) ... [snip]

It certainly WAS ! ... (I'm still amazed I actually even got there in the end)

And I'm afraid that samples A + B were indeed "Acquired Tastes" for me, as the more I smelled them the more I appreciated them, and even quite liked in the end. ... However when it comes to C I don't think I'll ever quite acquire the taste for that one. (Or it's 'fume 'house" in general actually.)

That "dirty-bath-water" facet just kills this one dead for me.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 21st September 2012 at 03:00 AM.

Congrats fellow sniffers! I can't believe I've reached the end of this project *wipes sweat and tears off face*

I also know why I like C, the house that make it is a favorite of mine. This is going in my scent library as my 'go to powdery rosa damascena absolute imitation', so thank you, dear Twolf for including it!

As for the banana nail polish note, that is benzyl acetate. It occurs naturally in ylang ylang and some absolutes like jasmine and narcissus. It is a nice 'floraliser' and brightens up top notes in heavy floral compositions.
    The dirty water might also be an amber element, some can be rather stinky, like a tiny drop of labdanum for example or an ambergris replacement.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

There has been no more correct guesses submitted. Will reveal in about 3 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

REVEAL at 5:55am OK, the fragrance that was not C and submitted as a guess was Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare (30R. got the last bottle).

Our C was also Creed (A= Amouage, B= between Amouage and Creed; C= Creed) -- Miss Tao's first Creed for herself -- Fleurs de Bulgarie with the notes as guessed (plus ambergris), coming back from 1845, created for Princess Victoria before she became the Queen by the most discussed house on the men's board. Impossible to find (I got mine from parfum1 before they ran out and raised the prices, LuckyScent is out as well) Wouldn't you know it, while we strted this Blind Sniff, somebody posted something on Your Favorite Feminine Creed thus pushing the thread to the top?

Anyhow, we are done. Thanks to everybody.
    Last edited by Twolf; 21st September 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks to you guys too. That was a real toughie.

Quote Originally Posted by meowmo View Post
    *hangs head in shame*
    Certainly none to be felt... No-one can get these at all if it wasn't for the descriptions given by the sniffers. Those hints and descriptions are like painting a picture for us non sniffers. Don't worry, you can get us guessers back when we are the sniffers.

Yes, I read nearly every rose review on basenotes, FG and ++..... I was like a terrier with a bone..... I combed the hints and your descriptions and had a sort of crime scene notepad with clues and notes and ticks and crosses all over it.... Mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    ...[snip] ...The dirty water might also be an amber element, some can be rather stinky, like a tiny drop of labdanum for example or an ambergris replacement.
    Thanx for that Irina ! - And of course I don't dispute that they might have, BUT I adore pretty much all labdanum & amber notes (no matter how stinky even for the 'skankier' ones) and to me the "dirty-water-soapiness" that bothers me, I don't think has them to blame. (altho' it could very well be for all I kno) ... But to me it smells more like a "civet+soap" kinda dirty-soapiness smell. ('Amber-skank' & 'castoreum-skank' , I am all for and actually enjoy ... but, when it comes to 'civet-skank' - not so much. .. Altho' seeing as they only disclose 'ambergris' (& boy don't they like BS-ing about their "ambergris") , it could very well be some facet of it in combination with the general 'soap' notes that's indeed giving me said notes I'm not keen on. ~ (But then I just don't like 'soapy' notes in 'fumes much at all anyway. And imagine would still prefer them with "a layer of day-old dirt" swishing about them, than actual fresh soapy bath-water before any of the dirt's gone in. (LOL)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 21st September 2012 at 02:08 PM.

I wasn't even close with any of my ideas. lol. I've never sniffed that one. Good job everyone!
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Congrats to everyone for guessing the frags. The last two were really difficult.

And big thanks to Twolf for generously sharing these rare frags that are hard to smell otherwise!

cacio

Wow, I was actually very fortunate (unfortunate) to smell Fleurs de Bulgarie and I feel sad for those who like it, I had no idea it is so rare; but it truly made me nauseated. I couldn't get past the very first dab and couldn't wash it off fast enough either.

Thank you Twolf for letting me play. It is funny, that though I didn't participate in sniffing I experienced "A," "B," and "C" at some point in my life. I love "A," admire "B," and can't stand "C". But I agree, all three of them are an acquired taste.

Dear Twolf & Cacio,
    THANK YOU for giving me the chance of participating, sharing some real gems, having patience with my schedule/pace and making this first sniff an unforgettable experience *hugs*

Dear Meowmo & Sybarite, it was a real pleasure sharing this experience and the sniffing fun with you, really lovely to 'meet' you both *hugs*

I'm having some pc-network problems that I need to get fixed over the weekend. So I wanted to make sure I can say 'THANK YOU' to y'all before technology, life or work got in the way! Till the next time
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Thanks everybody for your input. Yes, either of these three is not easy to love, as well as hard to come by, is quite expensive and very difficult to figure out by the notes only, therefore they were included into our Blind Sniff. I like the holistic approach to the process of sniffing: every fragrance is viewed and analyzed as a combination of notes, the effect it produces on you, its developments, its role in the cultural surroundings. One does not need to like or love the fragrance to be able to tell its pedigree, however clumsy and incoherent it might appear. Love what you love with dignity and respect and let the world of scents open up its beauties to you. Chances are, you might not like them now but will find something attractive about them later.

Thanks.