Code of Conduct

Thread: Classification

Question Classification

So there are Orientals, Woody Orientals, Woody, Mossy Woods, Citruses, Waters, Aromatics and so forth ... then each of them is sub divided to Rich, Classic, Crisp and Fresh.

So is Rich Citrus suitable for winter? And is Fresh Oriental perfect for Summer?

I mean what classification is useful for after-all on the end of the day? What knowledge can it be extracted once you know something is classified as e.g. Woody Classic?

Default Re: Classification

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
    So is Rich Citrus suitable for winter? And is Fresh Oriental perfect for Summer?
    IMO Yes.

Classifications, such as Edwards' one, are usually created to describe similarities among perfumes. If one goes to a store and asks for something similar to a perfume, the seller, if he has access to the classification database, can check the other perfumes in the same category.

That said, there's nothing wrong with using the information for other purposes.

cacio

Banned

You are breaking down fragrances by their families, and then by their subjective descriptors.

Rimmel's classification of fragrances was by notes, Poucher by evaporation rates, and Piesse by an accord's musical notes. So you see that classifications can serve whatever purpose one intends it to be. Which begs the question, what relevancy it has.

Perhaps, you should concentrate on families that you enjoy and explore scents within that parameter.

Trying to pigeonhole scents into seasonally denominated classes might prove just as fruitless inasmuch as application can have a substantial effect on whether a scent is appropriate or not. In fact, I think application is the key to a scent's particular wearability,

Why not just wear what you like when you like. Sticking to one family means you miss out on a hell of a lot of good stuff. And why ask permission to wear a fragrance?

Wear whatever you feel comfortable with though the fragrance classifications can be useful. I would not wear a sunny citrus scent when its snowing or a heavy oriental frag in the scorching heat but each to his own.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Wear whatever you feel comfortable with though the fragrance classifications can be useful. I would not wear a sunny citrus scent when its snowing or a heavy oriental frag in the scorching heat but each to his own.
    agreed!!!

I try to classify according to my nose. The more I read about this subject the more I get confused.
    Last edited by Alvus; 6th September 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: typo

Dependent

wear whatever your comfortable with

Not a huge fan of these classifications. If it smells good, and isn't cloying, feel free to wear it.