Code of Conduct

Default Where to get perfumers alcohol online

I wish to start making perfume and I've looked all around but simply can't find this stuff. I know it is a mixture of denatured ethanol, isopropyl myristate and monopropylene glycol but they seem to be very hard to find in Ireland and online for that matter. I am aware I could use vodka but I am not sure of the proof required(Can someone please clarify this? I know 200 proof=100% but not the exact proof needed for it to work). So if you could tell us where to get perfumers alcohol online and or the proof of alcohol required? Thanks.

Default Re: Where to get perfumers alcohol online

Mistral sell perfumers alcohol from their base in Northern Ireland.

If you use vodka you'll need it to be around 95% by volume (that's 200 proof in the US system).
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Mistral sell perfumers alcohol from their base in Northern Ireland.

If you use vodka you'll need it to be around 95% by volume (that's 200 proof in the US system).
    Thank you very much, I will be using this link so. Appreciate that, thanks mate.

Does anyone know of a reputable source for perfumer's alcohol in the US? Preferably with the safest of denaturing ingredients.

Thanks.

For Italians: http://www.faled.it/page/alcool.html
    I use it for liqueur, but it will do fine for perfume, has only a little vodka smell to it.

Basenotes Member

In Canada Saffireblue.ca!

Quote Originally Posted by janmeut View Post
    For Italians: http://www.faled.it/page/alcool.html
    I use it for liqueur, but it will do fine for perfume, has only a little vodka smell to it.
    Maybe you mistook OP's flag with the Italian one, but that's fine because I was about to ask for something available in Italy
    thanks
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

Quote Originally Posted by otocione View Post
    Maybe you mistook OP's flag with the Italian one, but that's fine because I was about to ask for something available in Italy
    thanks
    I sure did, so now I will probably get Luxemburg related replies, or even for France, Croatia or Paraguay

Quote Originally Posted by Sine Wave View Post
    Does anyone know of a reputable source for perfumer's alcohol in the US? Preferably with the safest of denaturing ingredients.

Thanks.

In the states ... for the DIY types go to :

http://www.saveonscents.com/product_...oducts_id=3572

you can also use Everclear at 190 proof - works great - which you can use when you're doing test mixing and for items (like gifts for friends) you aren't going to sell.
    If we tried today to recreate a real, original Guerlain, I think it would be impossible.
    Fabrice Pellegrin

Basenotes Plus

undenatured 95%/190 proof in USA

http://organicalcohol.com/store/index.php/

I just bought 1 Quart 100% Organic Ethyl Alcohol from www.KleenXtract.com for $24.00 . This is the cheapest I have seen as in the past I bought 5 gallons from Aaper Alcohol when I was into herbal tinctures and distilling essential oils which required getting a liquor license from state of Maine which was easily done via fax but the 95% ethyl alcohol I bought over 15 years ago cost me over $100 in federal tax with the whole 5 gallons about $ 200.
    I am at our Florida home and forgot to bring my alcohol I had left over form my herbal/EO days and had Ambergris and Civet to tincture so I was happy to find this source. This alcohol is not as strong smelling as the Aaper.

Just had a look at that website. Not sure if it's genius or insane or a bit of both!

"Extraction Artists across the globe know the secret, now, so do you."

"KleenXtract is a revolutionary natural product that removes tar, resins and odors from your glassware with little work. Our exclusive formulation was designed to cut through tar and resin and suspend it in our solution. KleenXtract has a nonabrasive formulation using a cleaning technology that protects your glass collection."

The product (as far as I can make out) is pure ethyl alcohol. I think it's been quite a while since you could call that "revolutionary".

Good luck to them!

Post Re: Where to get perfumers alcohol online

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Just had a look at that website. Not sure if it's genius or insane or a bit of both!

"Extraction Artists across the globe know the secret, now, so do you."

"KleenXtract is a revolutionary natural product that removes tar, resins and odors from your glassware with little work. Our exclusive formulation was designed to cut through tar and resin and suspend it in our solution. KleenXtract has a nonabrasive formulation using a cleaning technology that protects your glass collection."

The product (as far as I can make out) is pure ethyl alcohol. I think it's been quite a while since you could call that "revolutionary".

Good luck to them!
    I think your missing the meaning of the message as what is usually used in extraction process is Butane to extract herbs that are smoked. I only wanted to share a product for anyone interested in tincturing and making perfumes and not having to spend hundreds of dollars for undentured pure ethyl alcohol at the best price I have seen and does not have the odor of my Aaper Alcohol.

First of all, I'm sorry if my tone seemed mocking. I don't doubt that this is a good source and I applaud you for taking the time to share it.

I was just amused, surprised (and perhaps even impressed) by the very creative (to put it nicely) marketing of pure ethyl alcohol (with nothing else added) using terms like "Special Formula", "exclusive formulation", "revolutionary natural product", just to mention a few.

Don't you think that's kind of funny? Am I still missing something?

It doesn't change the usefulness of the product. That's why I said "good luck to them".

This topic (where to find good pure 95% ethanol for perfumery) comes up regularly and we should have a proper sticky posting for it right near the top of the stickies next to "Primer on how to make perfume". In fact we do have such a sticky, but it has a strange title: "A question regarding the use of isopropyl myristate in perfumers alcohol" In the past I've asked for this thread title to be changed to "Where to get perfumer's alcohol", but this has not happened.

Because you can get drunk on it, every country has different rules for the sale and taxation of ethanol. In the USA every state has different rules. In Canada every province has different rules. I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but the rules for the sale, taxation and even the shipment of ethanol vary greatly around the world.

If anyone wants to do it, especially a Basenote veteran with higher editing powers than me, we need a single post that catalogues the different rules and regulations for all the countries and states/provinces regarding ethanol.

It could be an updatable spreadsheet table that had various countries and states (jurisdictions) down the first column at the left in alphabetical order. Subsequent columns could list availability (some countries and states do not allow the sale of ethanol at all), whether a bittering agent is lawfully required, local shipping restrictions, etc. Much of this could be drawn from the thread in the link above and many other threads on how to get ethanol that pepper this DIY forum.

I will now reprint what I wrote about four years ago in the above thread for the benefit of those who are new:

1. What is perfumer's alcohol? Answer: fundamentally it's just pure 95% ethanol.

2. Is there a difference between: a. Perfumer's alcohol, b. Grape alcohol, c. Grain alcohol, d. Everclear, etc. Answer: no. Since the ethanol in all of these is a product of a fractional distillation process, it's pure. Trace amounts of impurities may be present, but they likely have little or no effect on the end product, perfume.

3. What is proof? Is 100 proof alcohol pure ethanol? No. In the USA and Canada 100 proof means 50% ethanol. In fact 190 proof alcohol is 95% ethanol and that's the one you want.

4. Why is it 95% and not 100% ethanol? You cannot get pure ethanol due to the physics of the substance. This has to do with vapour pressure of ethanol versus water vapour. Due to equilibrium considerations and the nature of these two fundamental substances of nature (i.e. H2O and CH5OH) ethanol will absorb water from the air until it reaches a balance at 95% ethanol and 5% water. You can get to 100% by using some tricky distillation techniques involving benzene, but it's not worth it.)

5. How to get 95% Ethanol. This depends very much on what country you live in. Based on a wide reading of Basenotes DIY threads it appears that in some European countries such as Italy and Holland, it's relatively easy to get pure 95% ethanol. You just buy it at the corner store and it's cheap. In other places such as England, Canada and the USA, it's a major project trying to find it legally. A list of countries and the availability of ethanol in each would be handy. For instance, in Canada it's different in each province, but on a national level you can import pure 95% ethanol when you cross the border, as long as you have been outside of the country for 48 hours and it's not more than 1 litre. All along the border in British Columbia there are duty-free shops on the American side of the border that sell "Everclear" or some similar brand of 95% ethanol for about $20/litre. NOTE: Americans cannot buy this product. Only people *leaving* the country can buy it.

6. Making your own ethanol by fractional distillation. You can buy a still for $400. Or you can make one for considerably less. Ethanol itself is easy to create with yeast and a sugar source. The hard part is separating it perfectly from everything else.

7. Denaturing agents. Which ones are OK for perfumery and which are not? Here in Canada some denatured ethanol has camphor in it, which is a problem because you can smell it for a few minutes after the ethanol evaporates and this pretty much eliminates this relatively cheap source of ethanol from perfumery. Bitrex is better as you can taste it but it has no smell, at least not to me.

8. Some perfumers add a tiny bit of vanilla or benzoin into a 1 litre bottle of pure 95% ethanol to rebrand it as "Perfumer's Alcohol". I don't agree with this practice but it's in a lot of books and some perfumers do it.

Basenotes Member

In Quebec, Canada it's very easy to get 94% alcohol, you can buy it in any large liquor store, or even online:
    http://www.saq.com/page/en/saqcom/al...l-94-/12209012

In USA, there's http://organicalcohol.com/ which even has denaturated alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by zemlya View Post
    In Quebec, Canada it's very easy to get 94% alcohol, you can buy it in any large liquor store, or even online:
    http://www.saq.com/page/en/saqcom/al...l-94-/12209012

In USA, there's http://organicalcohol.com/ which even has denaturated alcohol.
    Those prices are very high. CA$64 for 1.14 litre. This is because the price includes a huge liquor tax since this alcohol is drinkable. The organicalcohol.com prices are also very high. A better alternative is some form of denatured alcohol. Saffireblue.ca does sell denatured ethanol at the much lower price of ~ CA$18 per litre. It is labeled as "INCI: SDA 40B 200 proof, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl alcohol." I looked up SDA 40B 200 proof at Pharmco-AAPER, a major ethanol supplier. They describe it as 99.875% ethanol denatured with 0.125% tert-butyl alcohol and denatonium benzoate." The denatonium benzoate is the chemical name for Bitrex and probably present in ultra low concentration within the tert-butyl alcohol. I don't think you can smell this.

A key point about the Saffireblue perfumer's alcohol product: it also contains some unspecified amount of isopropyl myristate and isopropyl alcohol. It could be that these are in there to help dissolve certain essential oils or as so-called fixatives.

Quote Originally Posted by springlilac View Post
    In Canada Saffireblue.ca!
    I second that Saffireblue.ca is great in Canada. I visited their facility in Tillsonberg personally, and the folks that run this place are great

Basenotes Member

Sidenote: I got lucky and purchased 7 GL perfumers alcohol from a local auction for $30 What a steal, I had been using Denatured Alcohol from wait for it.....Home Depot (major dept store chain). Perfumers smells completely different I noticed a dramatic difference right away. In my defense I got led astray before I found Basenotes, someone told me regular denatured was the same as perfumers and not to waste my money. Anyway good luck.

Does anyone (Janmeut perhaps) have experience with this website?

http://www.ethanol-alcohol.nl/conten...nol_kopen.html

It says 98% EtOH, only denaturated with Bitrex (no IPA, IPM, MEK, etc.), at a bit more than €8 per litre (depending on quantity). I haven't ordered any yet, as it seems so much cheaper than other sources, so I'm wondering what's wrong with it...