Code of Conduct

Default Where to get perfumers alcohol online

I wish to start making perfume and I've looked all around but simply can't find this stuff. I know it is a mixture of denatured ethanol, isopropyl myristate and monopropylene glycol but they seem to be very hard to find in Ireland and online for that matter. I am aware I could use vodka but I am not sure of the proof required(Can someone please clarify this? I know 200 proof=100% but not the exact proof needed for it to work). So if you could tell us where to get perfumers alcohol online and or the proof of alcohol required? Thanks.

Default Re: Where to get perfumers alcohol online

Mistral sell perfumers alcohol from their base in Northern Ireland.

If you use vodka you'll need it to be around 95% by volume (that's 200 proof in the US system).
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Mistral sell perfumers alcohol from their base in Northern Ireland.

If you use vodka you'll need it to be around 95% by volume (that's 200 proof in the US system).
    Thank you very much, I will be using this link so. Appreciate that, thanks mate.

Does anyone know of a reputable source for perfumer's alcohol in the US? Preferably with the safest of denaturing ingredients.

Thanks.

For Italians: http://www.faled.it/page/alcool.html
    I use it for liqueur, but it will do fine for perfume, has only a little vodka smell to it.

In Canada Saffireblue.ca!

Quote Originally Posted by janmeut View Post
    For Italians: http://www.faled.it/page/alcool.html
    I use it for liqueur, but it will do fine for perfume, has only a little vodka smell to it.
    Maybe you mistook OP's flag with the Italian one, but that's fine because I was about to ask for something available in Italy
    thanks
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

Quote Originally Posted by otocione View Post
    Maybe you mistook OP's flag with the Italian one, but that's fine because I was about to ask for something available in Italy
    thanks
    I sure did, so now I will probably get Luxemburg related replies, or even for France, Croatia or Paraguay

Quote Originally Posted by Sine Wave View Post
    Does anyone know of a reputable source for perfumer's alcohol in the US? Preferably with the safest of denaturing ingredients.

Thanks.

In the states ... for the DIY types go to :

http://www.saveonscents.com/product_...oducts_id=3572

you can also use Everclear at 190 proof - works great - which you can use when you're doing test mixing and for items (like gifts for friends) you aren't going to sell.
    If we tried today to recreate a real, original Guerlain, I think it would be impossible.
    Fabrice Pellegrin

Basenotes Member

undenatured 95%/190 proof in USA

http://organicalcohol.com/store/index.php/

I just bought 1 Quart 100% Organic Ethyl Alcohol from www.KleenXtract.com for $24.00 . This is the cheapest I have seen as in the past I bought 5 gallons from Aaper Alcohol when I was into herbal tinctures and distilling essential oils which required getting a liquor license from state of Maine which was easily done via fax but the 95% ethyl alcohol I bought over 15 years ago cost me over $100 in federal tax with the whole 5 gallons about $ 200.
    I am at our Florida home and forgot to bring my alcohol I had left over form my herbal/EO days and had Ambergris and Civet to tincture so I was happy to find this source. This alcohol is not as strong smelling as the Aaper.

Just had a look at that website. Not sure if it's genius or insane or a bit of both!

"Extraction Artists across the globe know the secret, now, so do you."

"KleenXtract is a revolutionary natural product that removes tar, resins and odors from your glassware with little work. Our exclusive formulation was designed to cut through tar and resin and suspend it in our solution. KleenXtract has a nonabrasive formulation using a cleaning technology that protects your glass collection."

The product (as far as I can make out) is pure ethyl alcohol. I think it's been quite a while since you could call that "revolutionary".

Good luck to them!