Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The reason for the sticky: men don't wear fragrance for themselves but to catch gurls

Here is advice for the everyman: " After all, you’re not wearing a fragrance to please yourself, but to enhance your presence and to be appealing to the women who ultimately have the final say in what smells good on you."

There is also a link on "How to be irresistible to women." At the top of the list: smell great.

And they talk a lot about "cologne."

http://datingrelationship-advice.blo...fragrance.html
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The reason for the sticky: men don't wear fragrance for themselves but to catch gurls

I think guys wayyy over-estimate the benefits of wearing a fragrance when it comes to meeting and attracting women. Sure, there are some scents that really impress some women, but in the end, most women don't care what you wear or at least don't put a big emphasis on it. In fact, she could hate what you're wearing (especially if it's too daring) and if you spray too much, you can become that cologne guy.

If you are collecting fragrances just to impress women, you will be in for a rude awakening of the cold reality that she will like your Acqua Di Gio and Le Male better than your niche fragrances that you spent hundreds of dollars and hours studying and trying to pick out.

Think about it. When you date a women, or at least when I do, what fragrance she wears isn't even in the top 10 or 20 qualities I care about. There are many more important factors:

- Facial Features
    - Physique
    - Hair
    - Hygeine
    - How you dress
    - Your body language
    - Intelligence
    - Smiling, be optimistic
    - A sense of humor
    - Capable of engaging conversation
    - Respect
    - Manners
    - Humility and Confidence
    - Independence, Financially Responsible
    - Overall Attractive Personality

What perfume she wears and what cologne you wear, is way at the bottom of the list. Before you try to find the cologne that is going to seduce that woman you like, work on all of the above.

Dependent

Default Re: The reason for the sticky: men don't wear fragrance for themselves but to catch gurls

i mostly wear feminine fragrances as of late fragrances has nothing to do with how you get women my smile does that

Ah Primrose, I don't need a website to tell me this. The SA's at the counter are more than happy to inform me about this
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Learn how to make a woman laugh. That's the real Spanish Fly. You ever see those packs of 12-15 "bros" on Fri and Sat nights, those huge groups of dudes all wearing their polos or Affliction or whatever musclehead/fratboy gear, all smelling like they're doused in 20 sprays of A*Men or 1 Million? Ever notice how there's never a woman in the bunch? Don't be those guys. Nobody likes those guys.

I admit I cringe often reading BN where I see folks doing 5-10 sprays. I know how that comes across in the real world and it's always uncomfortable, like a desperate cry for attention, a mating call.. no, a mating siren.. no, a mating broadcast played through a Marshall stack with the volume knob set to 11. It does nobody any favors. This is partially why I laugh off all the Aventus hype.... its biggest selling point seems to be that it gets compliments. I know 3 guys who wear Aventus as their daily scent and all 3 are single. Most women aren't as shallow as guys think they are. If you can't make them laugh, feel safe and feel like they can trust you then it doesn't matter how many vats of Aventus you bathe in.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    " After all, you’re not wearing a fragrance to please yourself, but to enhance your presence and to be appealing to the women who ultimately have the final say in what smells good on you."
    Hmmm. And to think, I've been doing this all wrong. I wear a fragrance to please MYSELF. Whoops.
    I'm not even going to read all that BS.

Amusing reading to say the least.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Amusing reading to say the least.
    I'm sure it will get better as the days progress.

Where did you find that terrible website. I think that article was written by a computer.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    Learn how to make a woman laugh ..... Most women aren't as shallow as guys think they are. If you can't make them laugh, feel safe and feel like they can trust you then it doesn't matter how many vats of Aventus you bathe in.
    Exactly. It's about how you make a woman feel. Make her excited, laugh and full of curiosity about you and you are in. Try too hard and you will appear desperate, and trying too hard includes wearing too much cologne.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the article made no mention of going to strip club and wearing 8 sprays of kouros. That's how you get women.

...wearing Musc Ravageur - yehhhh, bursting out my seams.

Treat them like crap and they come back for more.

Fragrances just "add on." The same way you won't get compliments just by wearing a fragrance, you're not going to attract someone with a fragrance alone.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

- Facial Features
    - Physique
    - Hair
    - Hygeine
    - How you dress
    - Your body language
    - Intelligence
    - Smiling, be optimistic
    - A sense of humor
    - Capable of engaging conversation
    - Respect
    - Manners
    - Humility and Confidence
    - Independence, Financially Responsible
    - Overall Attractive Personality
    Good points, all.

And don't forget how much a man makes at his job. Money is very seductive. A man with a huge bank account and a custom Ferrari (not a "belly button" Ferrari) is more attractive than a man wearing a scent.

The likes of us just ignore articles like this, but still many men think fragrance is like a magic potion. Just look at the sticky and those endless, "I want to impress a woman. What cologne should I wear?" threads.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

- Facial Features
    - Physique
    Reduced list for added realism. Possibly even just the second point for many men. Physique just meaning that the person is female, really.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Being attractive to women is really a lot easier than most guys realize.

- Get properly fitting clothes that look good on you.
    - Be the most fun version of yourself.
    - Let your personality shine.
    - Be genuine.

That last one is a biggie.

As for choosing fragrance, I'm a huge believer in the idea of choosing something that fits ME and fits the occasion. If I have a date, I wear the one I think she is most likely to enjoy on me. It's no different than how I wear clothes that evening that I think make me look my best for my date.

Too many guys make the mistake of thinking there's a "panty-dropper" scent. That's dumb. It's demeaning to women and presents the guy as a sexist pig. There are hundreds upon hundreds of excellent scent choices, each of which is magic in its own way. Find one that fits your personality and has enough of a people-pleaser appeal to at the very least not be a turn off. Go easy on the trigger.

Someone here on basenotes described scent as the icing on the cake, and I think that's totally true.

Good points, all.

And don't forget how much a man makes at his job. Money is very seductive. A man with a huge bank account and a custom Ferrari (not a "belly button" Ferrari) is more attractive than a man wearing a scent.
    Very, very true!
    My friend's 9 cm secret weapon gets more action like no other. Lucky bastard and his centurion card

Primroses sig-"There is no accessory greater, nor more intimate, than scent." --Tim Gunn
    The cake is what attracts them, the icing is what keeps them.
    Women are human beings, just like men. As human beings we fashion things with our hands, use computers, just have a higher level of thinking than other animals, but we're still animals, and similar laws of attraction remain. Some of our most prized, naughty, sexy scent notes such as musk, civet, castoreum come from mammals that use them as scent territory markers and for sexual attraction. If we are discussing attracting females, than I would venture to say that scent along with power, money, nice clothes/material goods, good looks and shape are very important variables. How many times have you seen a woman you were attracted to and initially begin to think, I wonder if she has a nice personality or if she's intelligent or funny? Likely never, the only thing your thinking is that honey child is fine/pretty/fit and she excites me, and if she smells good too, wow. So you shoot the gift, and if you find out those other things like intelligence/humor/personality are intact, then that's the icing on the cake. Same thing happens when women see us. Trust me, when a women sees you and is initially attracted, she's not thinking about whether you're funny, intelligent or have a pleasant personality. Now if after that initial contact she finds out that you are indeed funny and the rest of them, that's the icing on the cake. However, if she finds out your a jerk loser in a well presented package, that's not my fault, go read a book or something.
    Do I sit in pure solitude, spray on a fragrance or two, and marvel in my scent journey? Yes without a doubt, I like scents for me. Do I also sit in pure solitude, spray on a fragrance or two, and think to myself "yes self, this scent does indeed make me feel confident and sexy, I can't wait to put some of this on and go around some young ladies". Yes I do, and those scents absolutely do produce my desired effect, not necessarily because of the scent, but how the scent effects the way I interact with the world that day. I feel good in my mind, project that good vibe into the world, and women tend to respond. It's natural.
    Last edited by PEARL; 6th September 2012 at 01:29 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Actually, not at all. All a man needs is a stable job that makes enough money for him to live independently, and money isn't a factor. Either a woman is attracted to you, or she isn't. If she is, whether you drive a Honda or Corvette doesn't matter. You know, there are plenty of rich guys who think that just because they have money, that they can get women. They buy tons of gifts for the woman only to realize that she doesn't really care for him and was only staying with him for a little longer because he introduced money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Reduced list for added realism. Possibly even just the second point for many men. Physique just meaning that the person is female, really.
    Only desperate guys would date someone just because they are female. Also, yeah those are the top two factors. But the other 12 are still above cologne-wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

Someone here on basenotes described scent as the icing on the cake, and I think that's totally true.
    Yeah, once you get the other 20 important things right, a fragrance will add a little more to you, but it's not necessary for dating. I'm willing to bet a less attractive guy wearing Millesime Imperial would get less compliments on what he is wearing than a super-hot guy wearing Axe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    Some of our most prized, naughty, sexy scent notes such as musk, civet, castoreum come from mammals that use them as scent territory markers and for sexual attraction.
    Basenoter Logic: If I wear a really musky, dirty, strong scent, it will bring out the evolutionary traits of a woman who likes their man to be animalic.

Real Women Logic: Eww... That stuff you are wearing is gross.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Being attractive to women is really a lot easier than most guys realize.

- Get properly fitting clothes that look good on you.
    - Be the most fun version of yourself.
    - Let your personality shine.
    - Be genuine.

That last one is a biggie.
    Good points, to which I'd ad some extras for the introverts.

Another biggie for a lot of guys is not to be worried about rejection. Adopting a "Big deal - Who cares if I'm rejected" type attitude (and really meaning it internally) actually enables them to be either genuine or more genuine than they otherwise would be.
    Yet another biggie is to speak nicely to one's self, treat yourself as you would others, never internally call yourself an idiot or a moron where you would never dream of saying the same thing to someone else - if you do talk nasty to yourself, it shows, you won't seem that genuine.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th September 2012 at 02:56 AM.

Banned

A guy will never use a fragrance that he dislikes to seduce a girl. There's no problem in using a fragrance to please other person. Everyone like feedbacks.

Personality so much > than scent and all other attributes listed by Noirdrakkar..
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    How many times have you seen a woman you were attracted to and initially begin to think, I wonder if she has a nice personality or if she's intelligent or funny? Likely never
    Speak for yourself. Intelligence and humor are sexy as hell attributes for a woman. The first thing after I see a beautiful girl is I observe her general demeanor. If she's walking out of the store behind an older couple, for example, and she gets all huffy puffy and annoyed then I instantly find that behavior a turn-off. But if I see her smile at someone who smiles her way, or act in a way that shows genuine goodheartedness it's the sexiest thing ever. Especially if she has a good sense of humor. I've dated women with piss poor personalities for no other reason than their looks. It was nothing more than an ego stroke for myself. Deep down those are the most miserable relationships I've had, pretty girls with a big fat ZERO for personality/humor/intelligence.

I have to say that, when it comes to attracting the attention of females, my dog beats any fragrance ever made by a huge margin.

Us chicks are suckers for animals and animal lovers! Lol..
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Bring the happily married guy that I am I have no need to catch girls. I wear fragrance mostly for myself with respect for the sensibilities of others (inoffensive fragrances, moderate application). But I must admit that I would never wear a scent disliked by my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    I have to say that, when it comes to attracting the attention of females, my dog beats any fragrance ever made by a huge margin.
    lol that's the truth right there. Anytime I walk past one of the many dog parks in my city it just looks like a bad dating show, a bunch of singles clearly putting themselves out there.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Actually, not at all. All a man needs is a stable job that makes enough money for him to live independently, and money isn't a factor. Either a woman is attracted to you, or she isn't. If she is, whether you drive a Honda or Corvette doesn't matter. You know, there are plenty of rich guys who think that just because they have money, that they can get women. They buy tons of gifts for the woman only to realize that she doesn't really care for him and was only staying with him for a little longer because he introduced money into it.
    Drakkar, I think you missed my sarcasm on the shallow men who think that fragrance will land them a woman. Hard to do this in a post.

There are just as many shallow women who will only look at a man's income.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Us chicks are suckers for animals and animal lovers! Lol..
    +1 on this, Kalli!

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    My friend had one of the stupidest dogs on the planet - a red setter. He could never take a walk with it without some girl talking to him and hugging his dog.
    Regards,
    Renato

The scent isn't nearly as important as the memory you teach her to associate with that scent.