Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Default Deodorant: scented or non-scented

Do you wear a scented deodorant to compliment your cologne or a non scented one?

Default Re: Deodorant: scented or non-scented

Unscented

Always unscented. Always.

Can't stand anything competing with my SOTD.

Unscented ..

Unscented unless it is matching
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent

back in middle school i use to wear axe deodorant and curve as my fragrance..... axe use to project better an get the compliments not the curve!!! since then ive grown an stay away from scented deodorant my collection is far more expensive then my younger days so people better smell what i pay for!!

Any scented Nivea deostick. Protects well against sweat, but doesnt smell long or project enough to compete with fragrance.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Always unscented. Always.

Can't stand anything competing with my SOTD.
    this

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

I agree a year ago I used to use scented deodorant but sometimes it would overpower my frag. Now I stick to unscented deodorant. It allows the frag to be the only scent that stands out.
    Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    back in middle school i use to wear axe deodorant and curve as my fragrance..... axe use to project better an get the compliments not the curve!!! since then ive grown an stay away from scented deodorant my collection is far more expensive then my younger days so people better smell what i pay for!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I wear an unscented spray and a lightly scented deodorant. Better the smell of a little Old Spice than a little b.o.

Keep in mind fragrances are more highly concentrated, so if you wear a cologne, people wont notice your deodorant.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Unscented. No question.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I use unscented anti-perspirants - they block skin pores and stop sweat. You can spray some EDT on the blocked pores ( though others will show you links (from naturopaths and the like) that this causes cancer and other deadly illnesses).

Scented designer deodorant sticks and sprays don't stop you sweating, but stop the break down of whatever is in the sweat that breaks down and leads to bad smell.
    I have a bunch of deodorant sticks I got in gift sets, but I don't use them much. The only strong one I have is D&G Homme with about half the strength of the EDT, the rest are all much more lightly scented.

Favourite unscented antiperspirants include Clinique and Aramis Lab series and Alamay sticks, and Mitchum unscented roll-on and spray, and any other fragrance free spray in your supermarket.

The other alternative - if you shower before going to bed - is buying long last antiperspirant sprays, and putting them on before going to bed. When you get up in the morning, the scent has long gone but protection is still there for a day and a half.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Scented designer deodorant sticks and sprays don't stop you sweating, but stop the break down of whatever is in the sweat that breaks down and leads to bad smell.
    I have a bunch of deodorant sticks I got in gift sets, but I don't use them much. The only strong one I have is D&G Homme with about half the strength of the EDT, the rest are all much more lightly scented.

Favourite unscented antiperspirants include Clinique and Aramis Lab series and Alamay sticks, and Mitchum unscented roll-on and spray, and any other fragrance free spray in your supermarket.
    Renato, I believe that many "designer" deo sticks are alcohol based and the alcohol acts as an agent for killing the bacteria that grows in your pits. Some of the newer ones have gone alcohol free, so I'm not sure what the "active" ingredient is in those that stops the bad smell.

The Clinique and Lab Series sticks are top notch no doubt. I haven't tried or even heard of the Alamay stick. Mitchum works well, but I just can't do the roll on and subsequent sticky "dry down". Drove me to drink. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

Keep in mind fragrances are more highly concentrated, so if you wear a cologne, people wont notice your deodorant.
    Ooh, not true! The guy sitting next to me at work has total deodorant-fragrance competition going on all the time and I really do notice it. I also notice it a lot with women, but that may be because women's deodorants are more strongly scented?

Quote Originally Posted by tehtimmeh View Post
    Renato, I believe that many "designer" deo sticks are alcohol based and the alcohol acts as an agent for killing the bacteria that grows in your pits. Some of the newer ones have gone alcohol free, so I'm not sure what the "active" ingredient is in those that stops the bad smell.

The Clinique and Lab Series sticks are top notch no doubt. I haven't tried or even heard of the Alamay stick. Mitchum works well, but I just can't do the roll on and subsequent sticky "dry down". Drove me to drink. :-)
    Yes, I didn't like sticky roll-on for years - but I got used to it. My main problem with roll-ons is that after opening them, if not used quickly, they dry out.

The alcohol based sticks are white and softer, and tend to have better scent properties. The non-alcohol ones are harder and slightly more translucent. I prefer the alcohol ones though I've had some of the cheaper ones that shrank on me.

I don't think alcohol is the active ingredient. There are plenty of spray and pump deodorants which don't use alcohol, and alcohol tends to evaporate pretty quickly.
    Regards,
    Renato

Scented. My fragrance always over powers it. When my fragrance dies off, the scented deodorant remains.

Unscented.

Unscented. Unless you use deodorant same scent with your fragrance.

I'd say an even mix of both or, rather, an even mix of three categories: either unscented or matching, thus from the same product line, as the cologne, or scented, but not necessarily linked to a given, precise, clearly definable cologne.

Unscented.
    I use a natural salt crystal after showering. I was sceptical at first, but they do work. They must be used straight after a shower.
    Salt kills bacteria. It's the same reason we use saline solution to flush a wound. In the case of underarm odor, sweat itself has no smell. The stink is caused by bacteria growth under the armpits. Salting right after you shower halts the growth of this bacteria before it can begin.
    If you try using it once you already stink, you will come to the conclusion that it doesn't work. It cannot cover up any smell, it is a preventative.
    Worth a try. They only cost a few dollars, and they literally last a lifetime, unless you drop it and smash it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Unscented unless it is matching
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_d9 View Post
    Unscented. Unless you use deodorant same scent with your fragrance.
    Same here.

Always scented - usually Old Spice at the weekend and Mitchums for working days.

Depends on the fragrance I am wearing, typically unscented though.

unscented if i'm wearing cologne.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

unscented unless it goes with your frag.

i use a non scented salt crystal!! Works amazingly well!!

Quote Originally Posted by jesman71 View Post
    i use a non scented salt crystal!! Works amazingly well!!
    Which one do use?

I use driclor, it's suppose to be for people with excessive sweating but works fine without. I only need to apply it over night 2 - 3 times per week and you pretty much cannot sweat from wherever you applied it. On top of that I use Lab series antiperspirant stick as well every day both are unscented and very effective so no sweating or conflict with whatever fragrance I am wearing.

I am very surprised at all the unscented responses. To my knowledge I have never utilized an unscented under arm deodorant. I must check into this further. I really don't think my colognes compete with the brands I currently use which are scented. I do find that some of my fragrances do not outlast my deodorant so I feel that gives me added protection later on in the day.

Unscented deodorant and fragrance free moisturizer after shaving

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III via Tapatalk
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Basenotes Plus

unscented