Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Chandler Burr Untitled S01E04

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    So my grounding description for E04 is going to be "quicksilver spider webs"

I also wanted to let everyone know that for the E04 reveal I'm going to be in NYC in the same room with Chandler so that will hopefully lead to a little looser kind of discussion.

I wanted to thank everyone for sending questions in to [email protected] that is going to be the place I will be looking for questions. One favor I ask is to fully explain what kind of answer you're looking for in the e-mail but please try and distill your question down to something I can ask easily and succinctly on the video. If I know what you want out of the question I can, hopefully, steer Chandler towards the subject you would like answered.

I'll be back here once we all get our bottles for this round.
    That sounds fantastic! I will do my best to email you so questions again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    Yes, and my apologies if that wording isn't clear, guys. SoSoul, that's indeed what I mean: the material in E04 is used as rarely, in a major aesthetic way, as shiso or ginger.
    Thank you for clearing this up, CB!
    Although now I'm confused about ginger as I don't consider that so rare...

But there are so many natural extracts that are overlooked or only used in very tiny amounts (to throw off the GC as Ellena wrote once) due either to the rarity, purity (supplier problems) or expense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    *RP high-fives Irina in cyberspace somewhere over the middle of the Atlantic*
    High-five back to you I may do NY sometimes again in the future, it's 'only' a 6 hrs flight from Amsterdam!
    @SomethingSmelly

Blog Entries

Good news, people. I got this in the morning:

We wanted to give you a friendly update on your purchase. Your "The Untitled Series: S01E04" order is being prepped at our warehouse right now, so expect your package within a week.

Cool!

Basenotes Plus

Excellent news!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Excellent news!
    Yes - I'm not at all disappointed by the delivery date on this. There will still be plenty of time to get samples out and spend some quality sniffing time on it.

Hope you get word, too, very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Or an argument that you're a friggin' genius. You're one of the most prescient BNers my friend.
    Ha, thanks, although I have no idea how the title could apply to me. I read some of my own prior observations and just shake my head and can't help but wonder, "What was I thinking?"

I suppose that was the blessing and curse of the (now cured, or at least in remission) chemical sensitivities I suffered. I'd hone in on very odd aspects of certain fragrances and also see links between seemingly disparate fragrances thanks to a given chemical or two that they shared. It's interesting revisiting frags now without the sensitivities - for one projection seems greatly reduced although I do still get 8+ hour longevity on nearly everything (I don't think I'm anosmic to many if any musks). The best part is that many frags (many of which I loved) that caused me physical pain and which wearing became an exercise in masochism no longer cause me any distress! Incidentally, many more frags smell 'natural' to me (not as in 'made with naturals' as I know very well how naturals smell and find few scents that utilize them heavily) but that simply smell nice, smooth, rounded and harmonious rather than discordant. I've also found my love of the intentionally synthetic scents growing, and many of my favorites are very synthetic and - at least as I interpret them - abstract (Fahrenheit 32, M/Mink, Askew, 7 de Loewe [more synthetic than abstract], Djin, etc).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Yes - I'm not at all disappointed by the delivery date on this. There will still be plenty of time to get samples out and spend some quality sniffing time on it.

Hope you get word, too, very soon.
    Received e-mail, shipped today.

Blog Entries

I received my bottle of E04 today in MD. Back to the 30mL bottle.

Now that I've smelled it I expect this one to be a very interesting conversation here.
    See you all after everyone has had a chance to experience it for themselves.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Now that I've smelled it I expect this one to be a very interesting conversation here.
    How exciting, Mark!
    @SomethingSmelly

Blog Entries

I love your terse and cryptic statement. I'm even more excited! May our sniffs be "interesting times"!

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    How exciting, Mark!
    I'm quivering with anticipation! I hadn't even gotten an initial shipping statement, but it now appears to be "in transit". Probably not this weekend, but we'll see.....

Oh right : THAT's real helpful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Oh right : THAT's real helpful.
    LMAO

I'm going to be even worse!

"It's here!" *drumroll....*

Basenotes Plus

I'm quivering with anticipation! I hadn't even gotten an initial shipping statement, but it now appears to be "in transit". Probably not this weekend, but we'll see.....
    My e-mail says shipped on the 12th, but tracking shows no movement other than a label was generated. They must use the fragrancenet.com method, ship and hold for someone to pick-up so it moves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    My e-mail says shipped on the 12th, but tracking shows no movement other than a label was generated. They must use the fragrancenet.com method, ship and hold for someone to pick-up so it moves.
    Cross the number over to the UPS site - that may do the trick. It did for me. These are being mailed by a weird combination of UPS and USPS. The link is to USPS, but the tracking is on UPS. Go figure! I never even got a shipment email, but I went to "My Orders" on OpenSky, and it said it had shipped on the 12th, too.

Basenotes Plus

Cross the number over to the UPS site - that may do the trick. It did for me. These are being mailed by a weird combination of UPS and USPS. The link is to USPS, but the tracking is on UPS. Go figure! I never even got a shipment email, but I went to "My Orders" on OpenSky, and it said it had shipped on the 12th, too.
    Thanks. Worked. They are using something similar to fragrancenet. In their case, they use FedEx to get it to the local PO for final delivery, in this case they are using UPS to hand off to the USPS for final delivery.

Blog Entries

OK, amigos - I'm parting out my juice. Here's my list so far:

(UPDATED LIST)

Birdboy48
    30 Roses
    SculptureOfSoul
    rogalal
    L'Homme Blanc Individual
    MonkeyBars

Do we have any more potential players in the US lower 48? Any of you lovely ladies on the fence, or thinking you'd sit this one out? If so, please holler now! I have three empty packages left. I'm shipping Monday morning. But if I send you a sample, you have to get in here with the gang and give us your impressions and opinions!

Declare your intent openly here, then PM me your address!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 16th September 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: updated list

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Red, thanks very much for thinking of me but I am going to bow out... I have a lot on my plate right now family-wise and don't feel I can give it proper attention.
    Babies have begun hatching on the Estonian osprey nests.
    All 3 eggs have hatched at Irma and Joosep's nest. Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas2.html

There are now 2 babies at Mai and Mikk's nest! Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas.html
    Osprey discussion forums: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Red, thanks very much for thinking of me but I am going to bow out... I have a lot on my plate right now family-wise and don't feel I can give it proper attention.
    Glad you caught me in time! If you're sure, then I'll go ahead and let your sample go to another interested party. I know what you're saying - these sniffs can take a lot out of one. I'm already feeling it.

I've just wasted 5 or 6 hours trying to verify that it's what I think it is - and discovered just how much of a brain drain that is. I actually have an old sample of my original guess, but discovered to my horror that S01E04 smells MORE like what it's supposed to be than my old sample does. So what does that mean? That my old sample went bad? Or has their been a reformulation? Or am I just out to lunch on my guess?

Yes - clearly it's possible to waste a lot of time on this. So - no problem.

Any takers for some serious sniffing / obsessing?

I've just wasted 5 or 6 hours trying to verify that it's what I think it is - and discovered just how much of a brain drain that is. I actually have an old sample of my original guess, but discovered to my horror that S01E04 smells MORE like what it's supposed to be than my old sample does. So what does that mean? That my old sample went bad? Or has their been a reformulation? Or am I just out to lunch on my guess?

Yes - clearly it's possible to waste a lot of time on this. So - no problem.

Any takers for some serious sniffing / obsessing?
    Can't wait to hear more about E04!

And yes, with old samples oxidation is your worst enemy and can ruin any good blend. Especially if the blend contains citrus, like this one has been described.
    @SomethingSmelly

Blog Entries

Can't wait to hear more about E04!

And yes, with old samples oxidation is your worst enemy and can ruin any good blend. Especially if the blend contains citrus, like this one has been described.
    Interesting! I'm wondering if the decomposition products would obscure woody notes and lead to a more nondescript base. S01E04 has a nice woody drydown with distinct cedar/cedaroids, that are detectable almost from the beginning, but the wood notes are far less clear-cut in my old sample.

I'm not ready to say that my guess is right, but they're so similar otherwise, that my hunch is oxidation or minor changes to the formulation. I would say that the differences are less than what we found with E02 / Mugler Cologne.

Interesting! I'm wondering if the decomposition products would obscure woody notes and lead to a more nondescript base. S01E04 has a nice woody drydown with distinct cedar/cedaroids, that are detectable almost from the beginning, but the wood notes are far less clear-cut in my old sample.

I'm not ready to say that my guess is right, but they're so similar otherwise, that my hunch is oxidation or minor changes to the formulation. I would say that the differences are less than what we found with E02 / Mugler Cologne.
    In that case I would say 'reformulation'. Woody notes rarely oxidize ime. Could be a case of 'oakmoss reformulation'.
    LOL cedaroid *chuckle*
    @SomethingSmelly

Blog Entries

In that case I would say 'reformulation'. Woody notes rarely oxidize ime. Could be a case of 'oakmoss reformulation'.
    You know, I thought that reformulation was such a weenie answer, but the way IFRA has been scaring the pants off people lately, with more austerity talk than in the economy - well - maybe it's right!

LOL cedaroid *chuckle*
    I love to think of these wonderful woody molecules - with, for all practical purposes, the lowest-level structure of cedar or ambergris, as "bionic naturals".

"Atlas Cedar, absolute, a component barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the worlds first Bionic wood. Atlas Cedar will be that wood. Better than it was before. Better. Stronger. Longer lasting."

I'm just waiting for the flanker component, a truly feminine cedar!

[Note the civety and floral facets emerging from the woody structure!]

I love to think of these wonderful woody molecules - with, for all practical purposes, the lowest-level structure of cedar or ambergris, as "bionic naturals".

"Atlas Cedar, absolute, a component barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the worlds first Bionic wood. Atlas Cedar will be that wood. Better than it was before. Better. Stronger. Longer lasting."

I'm just waiting for the flanker component, a truly feminine cedar!

[Note the civety and floral facets emerging from the woody structure!]
    Brilliant Does that picture depict how you feel about E04?
    @SomethingSmelly

Blog Entries

Brilliant Does that picture depict how you feel about E04?
    Only - and to some extent - about the woody part. That part is very natural, but in a surreal way. It's a nice cedar, and better than a lot of them right now (even some rather impressive niche), but it's still has a certain unnatural but attractive smoothness that tells me it didn't drop straight out of the garden. [RP puts on black cowboy hat and spits from his horse...."That robotic wood woman from the future is somewhere around here. Forget the train! Back to the hide-out, boys! YEE-HAAH! ]

The opening is pretty breathtaking in a citrus-based way - I would apply it repeatedly, to catch the opening again and again, except for the fact that I have to ship half of the juice to the others who are playing along on my bottle. I have to say - right now I'm liking this better than L'Etrog.

The woody part peeks through the citrus from the very beginning, and quietly becomes almost everything. A bit of the citrus feel manages to ride along all the way.

Chandler's description is apt, in that it's not overtly floral, but you do get an idea that the Good Floral Fairie (see Fig. 1 above) is hiding in the stump and casting her spell on the citrus. I won't specify the flower, so that others can see what they think when they get the sample.

The wood also seems to hide a bit of musk, but not nearly so much as my old sample seems to show. It is in the far drydown, where even the wood of S01E04 seems to fade, that S01E04 and my old sample of my guess converge completely again. But there is a wee bit of "tobacco" (spicy leaf and plum) in the heart, at the end of the opening, that seems to make E04 distinct from my old sample, and makes me think they're two different animals entirely.

The old silver mirror / mercury / whatever - I think that must be in the beginning. And if the fragrance is what I think it is - that sucker is actually very weird and webby, even in the heart - but my schnoz is hardly up to it at the moment. So - this is going to be one that people will need to mess with QUITE A BIT to "find Chandler", so to speak!

Only - and to some extent - about the woody part. That part is very natural, but in a surreal way. It's a nice cedar, and better than a lot of them right now (even some rather impressive niche), but it's still has a certain unnatural but attractive smoothness that tells me it didn't drop straight out of the garden. [RP puts on black cowboy hat and spits from his horse...."That robotic wood woman from the future is somewhere around here. Forget the train! Back to the hide-out, boys! YEE-HAAH! ]
    Wonderful imagery

The opening is pretty breathtaking in a citrus-based way - I would apply it repeatedly, to catch the opening again and again, except for the fact that I have to ship half of the juice to the others who are playing along on my bottle. I have to say - right now I'm liking this better than L'Etrog.
    Sounds beautiful! I love L'Etrog so can't wait for the reveal to add this one to my wish list

The woody part peeks through the citrus from the very beginning, and quietly becomes almost everything. A bit of the citrus feel manages to ride along all the way.

Chandler's description is apt, in that it's not overtly floral, but you do get an idea that the Good Floral Fairie (see Fig. 1 above) is hiding in the stump and casting her spell on the citrus. I won't specify the flower, so that others can see what they think when they get the sample.

The wood also seems to hide a bit of musk, but not nearly so much as my old sample seems to show. It is in the far drydown, where even the wood of S01E04 seems to fade, that S01E04 and my old sample of my guess converge completely again. But there is a wee bit of "tobacco" (spicy leaf and plum) in the heart, at the end of the opening, that seems to make E04 distinct from my old sample, and makes me think they're two different animals entirely.

The old silver mirror / mercury / whatever - I think that must be in the beginning. And if the fragrance is what I think it is - that sucker is actually very weird and webby, even in the heart - but my schnoz is hardly up to it at the moment. So - this is going to be one that people will need to mess with QUITE A BIT to "find Chandler", so to speak!
    Can't wait to hear more, it sounds like an interesting find! Thank you so much for taking the plunge on this one and share your impressions, Red, it was a long wait!
    @SomethingSmelly

Chandler's description of this one is spot on. I think it's a very nice fragrance, but not any where near as good as he thinks it is.

Hey Chandler, let's get into to some full bodied scents. These airy, transparent light JCE wimpy scents are boring me.
    Last edited by thebeck; 23rd September 2012 at 01:10 PM.

Now that I've smelled it, I can see why Chandler would say this is a fragrance that anyone could love, its beautiful in a way that isn't too challenging. Sadly, now that I have my bottle I also have a cold and my nose isn't up to par. I'm hoping this will clear up soon!

I've been enjoying L'Etrog more and more - since I wore it almost daily two weeks ago, it was on all my clothes, and when I did the laundry I couldn't help noticing how nice it smelled. I also had my two nieces sample it, and enjoyed smelling it on them across the room. I think smelling a fragrance on someone else is a good way to test how you feel about it.

I am definitely enjoying this fragrance. Citrus is in my comfort zone. That said, unfortunately my skin pretty much eats this fragrance. I tried spraying it yesterday on my clothes also, and the scent lasted fine on them, but on my skin it disappears quite quickly.

I was complimented by two strangers in a store yesterday. This scent does seem like a crowd pleaser. It is pleasant, and light, and the drydown has this fun tangy mix of citrus and something else. Civet, perhaps?
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Is E04 so dull? Or are the BN-ers that smelled it, too few? For a scent presented as 'beautiful' the (emotionally laden) reviews are meager *scratched head*
    @SomethingSmelly

I've smelled it, and I also find it pleasant and lovely, but really subtle. No one note stands out to me, I get an overall impression of something bright, a little sweet and tart, citrusy and fruity (rose?), with a plummy-woody undertone (and some tea or tobacco leaf maybe?).

It is a delicate scent and wears like a light cologne, and gets lost on my skin after a while. By contrast, I sniffed it alongside Rose Ikebana and Osmanthe Yunnan (two scents that seemed comparable), and both of the Hermes scents smelled stronger, more direct, and less abstract.

Very juicy and floral to me. Makes me think of breakfast. Coming down on a nice day to fresh juice and flowers. Windows are open and I can smell the lawn in the breeze. Very happy scent. Reminds me of an ex. That part isn't so happy.

Oh well

I imagine if I wore this in public, I'd just get told I smell like a girl.

Definite tea later on... Reminds me a bit of Gucci PH II... Which also makes me happy.