Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blog Entries

Default Chandler Burr Untitled S01E04

Gather round, my friends! Come one, come all! Welcome to the fourth installment of the continuing saga of Chandler Burr's Untitled series: S01E04

Here is the URL on OpenSky: https://opensky.com/chandlerburr/pro...-series-s01e04

I've already ordered mine. They will ship roughly mid-month, according to OpenSky.

Here is Chandler's description:

It isn’t my policy to engage in naked displays of affection for perfume X or Y. It’s strange public intimacy, like kissing someone you love overwhelmingly in an airport. But the Untitled Series can handle some PDA. S01E04 is among a handful of scents that give me, every time, without fail, the purest joy and a feeling of gratitude that I can own something this perfect.

The artist who created E04 is one I’d never heard of before this work. I’ve only smelled one other piece by this perfumer, and while very well made it would in no way prepare you. There is a particular expression we use to describe (one example) the special status of John le Carré, whose books in lesser hands would be relegated to a mere type, the spy novel, but in his become literature. He transcends the genre, people say.

E04 should be firmly imprisoned in a genre, and I wonder how many marquee olfactory artists’ hands that would include (a fair number, I think). The citrus eau fraîche is ubiquitous and clichéd. But you jump to that category due simply to the brain’s urgent need to place the things it encounters. After an instant, the genre collapses, and you are blissfully disoriented. E04 is masterfully spun, of olfactory filaments the weight of spiders’ webs, its surfaces like the fire gilding of a Medieval mirror with its micro-pitted patina of toxic, silvery mercury lying under glass.

The fact is that E04 transcends anything you might throw at it—citrus, green, floral—while remaining, and how I don’t know, absolutely anchored in the natural world, which is limited. E04 is green, though a very specific water-washed green, and it is certainly citrus, while not being citrus in any obvious way, and it is floral in an almost metaphysical style (perhaps simply by being so elegantly lovely that we are forced to resort to the thought of the curve of a petal to deal intellectually with the thing).

One fact: The work’s title names a natural raw material that is, I think, along with shiso CO2 [editor’s note: drop the 2 in “CO2,” as it would be written in a chemical formula] extraction and ginger essence, perhaps the most inexplicably overlooked natural scent raw material in the palette. The work’s creative director has told me that this material does indeed play a crucial role, so the beauty was there to be built on, but it took a masterful touch to turn it into this scented mercurial filament.
    So - what are your thoughts?

Let the discussion begin!

Default Re: Chandler Burr Untitled S01E04

I just ordered mine. Actually, the had E03 left, so I ordered that, too I shall save that one for a rainy day.

I am most curious about the statement that the scent is citrus, but not citrus in an obvious way. The first association that I have is with Kumquats. I love how tricky they are. Perfect tangerine color, smells sweet like a naval orange, and then when you bite it - BAM! Crazy, tangy goodness, and I'm not sure what I just ate. I'm hoping that E04 will be the same - before it comes, I'll have a citrus note in my head, and the actual fragrance will be a totally different and surprising citrus.

As for the green - the term 'water-washed' makes me think in a few different directions. Perhaps a very clean green, no dirt smell to go with it. Or maybe an aquatic smell + green. Or perhaps just a thin, transparent green (like a water color).

What fun! Regardless of what the actual fragrance is, I love the discussion.
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.
    ― Tania Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide

Blog Entries

^ Alright! Great to see you're back for more! I am still debating getting E03. I love the bottle of the real stuff, but it's way too much for a scent that just doesn't really thrill me. So that $25 bottle does look like a good option.

Yeah - this one is already playing tricks with me. The central component is in the name - what's up with that? And Chandler has only heard of one other fragrance by the perfumer. An eau fraiche that transcends the genre? Citrus but also floral - kinda? An underused component?

(A) Très Chandler!

(B) Niche?

Another thing - his description this time doesn't really have a simple pattern to observe, like the luminosity of E01, the green note of E02, or the tone of E03. I'm not sure, but I think I'll have a hard time with it.

BUT.......

I have an idea what it is. He-he-he-he-he. If it is, I'm in luck. I've wanted a bottle.

BUT.......

I doubt it. Gotta be something I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Yeah - this one is already playing tricks with me. The central component is in the name - what's up with that? And Chandler has only heard of one other fragrance by the perfumer.
    These two are killing me, too. They feel like they should both be really good clues, if only I had more of a knowledge base to start with. I am eager to see what all you experienced folk do with the clues!
    The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: "What scent drives men wild?" After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon. Now, on to the far more interesting subject of perfume.

Glad to see you opened this thread, Red

I might ask a sample from the kind US folks, a bottle would take too much time to get here and too little time to evaluate. On the other hand the only free weekend I have is 29 +30 September so then I can indulge in the experience

My thoughts on this one:
    Shiso C02 is weird clue as the only stuff I know is either Supercritical-CO2 fluid extraction of fatty oils from Perilla frutescens seeds
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12571915
    which has a weird oily fishy odor

And the Perilla frutescens leaf extract by Robertet which smells herbal and green, a bit spicy like caraway, anise and cumin with a hint of apple and green tea. There are some perilla flower oils as well and perilla aldehydes, but I haven't smelled them yet.
    Some of the bigger houses like Takasago also have their own perilla. Knowing that CB now concentrates on creations from the 5 big boys (Givaudan, Firmenich, IFF, Symrise and Takasago) my guess is that it could be a Takasago creation. They do ginger essences too, so it would make sense. And taking into the cultural postmodern Japanese focus on lightness and light with cherryblossoms and I get a few visuals that might be what CB means.

light cherryblossom.jpg cutoutlights2.jpg cherryblossom.jpg sagura_japan_cherry_blossom_moving_waterfall.jpg1221795130zisuye_Perilla_frutescens_.jpg RAJS-061130001canvas40x60.jpg

Aftelier has a Shiso perfume as well, I had a sample somewhere, see if I can find it. But knowing my tendency towards disliking natural perfumes there is a big chance I gave it away.

Anyways I hope to get to smell S04 as I love green washing LOL and transparency, light and all that jazz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Irina; 6th September 2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

THE thread for all newbies DIY fragrance

Irina, I think you may have misread it just as I initially did. Re-reading it, it seems to me that he's not indicating that shiso is in the perfume (or ginger essence), but that the titular ingredient of the perfume is as rare as shiso and ginger essence (<--wondering what he's referring to by the rarity of ginger essence though. Some odd extract? Ginger is pretty common.)

My completely off the wall guess is Tobacco Flower by Fresh. Notes list seems like it could be a citrus/green/floral eau fraiche (it's by Fresh, after all) and Tobacco flowers are definitely underused!

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why I'm guessing already. I think it's kind of fun though to try and figure out a scent simply by Chandler's description. I managed to pull it off with E02. I think the ability to do so (I know some others did the same with E02) could be a strong argument that Chandler is saying a bit too much.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Irina, I think you may have misread it just as I initially did. Re-reading it, it seems to me that he's not indicating that shiso is in the perfume (or ginger essence), but that the titular ingredient of the perfume is as rare as shiso and ginger essence (<--wondering what he's referring to by the rarity of ginger essence though. Some odd extract? Ginger is pretty common.)

My completely off the wall guess is Tobacco Flower by Fresh. Notes list seems like it could be a citrus/green/floral eau fraiche (it's by Fresh, after all) and Tobacco flowers are definitely underused!

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why I'm guessing already. I think it's kind of fun though to try and figure out a scent simply by Chandler's description. I managed to pull it off with E02. I think the ability to do so (I know some others did the same with E02) could be a strong argument that Chandler is saying a bit too much.
    Thank you, you are very right *face palm* The focus is "perhaps the most inexplicably overlooked natural scent raw material in the palette".

However real tobacco flowers extract is very very expensive and very rare so I doubt a commercial perfumer may be allowed to use it for the masses

But your guess is as good as mine LOL

Off to the lab...

ETA: On the other hand after re-reading that paragraph, I can also interpret it as being as rare as shiso CO2 and then the 'tobacco flower' might fit the bill perfectly

The image I had in my mind when hearing CB first mentioning E04 during the spreedcast
    e04 floating.jpg
    Last edited by Irina; 6th September 2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

I'm in on "04" because Chandler renewed my faith in him by offering us E'trog.

Basenotes Plus

Just ordered 04. Now I can join in on the fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm in on "04" because Chandler renewed my faith in him by offering us E'trog.
    Great! I think it's awesome that Chandler made amends with E03, but - man, oh, man - L'Etrog? I must have had your taste figured *totally* wrong! I was sure as hell thinking L'Etrog would have you pulling out your hair and running, screaming, for the hills! Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Super! Very glad you're joining in the party!

I'm in again, because I'm intrigued by a fragrance that anyone and everyone would love. I also like the Calder analogy and am curious to see how that is expressed in the fragrance. As for the other parts of the description, I had the thought that CO2 might refer to carbonation, as in "Fizz" so scents like Ananas Fizz come to mind.

Oh, and I once suggested to Dawn Spencer Hurwitz that she create a scent based on the concept of Mercury Glass, so I'll be interested to see if I find that quality in S01E04.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I'm in again, because I'm intrigued by a fragrance that anyone and everyone would love. I also like the Calder analogy and am curious to see how that is expressed in the fragrance. As for the other parts of the description, I had the thought that CO2 might refer to carbonation, as in "Fizz" so scents like Ananas Fizz come to mind.

Oh, and I once suggested to Dawn Spencer Hurwitz that she create a scent based on the concept of Mercury Glass, so I'll be interested to see if I find that quality in S01E04.
    Very glad you're back!

I hope that you are indeed able to sense some of these things, because I have a feeling I'll need some help on this one.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - My first guess, based on several of the clues. This is the one I am desperately hoping it is...

afc78f30b37712da00909f26c5f0309f530a63493bd533ba99 87423599be01bb

Blog Entries

Hmmm.... Sounds interesting. I do enjoy a good citrus eau, and they're generally all similar enough that it would be kind of pointless guessing amongst the thousands out there. And one of the things I enjoyed about the last one was giving up trying to guess what it was...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Personally, I'm down with the mirror thang.

PS - My first guess, based on several of the clues. This is the one I am desperately hoping it is...

afc78f30b37712da00909f26c5f0309f530a63493bd533ba99 87423599be01bb
    Red, dear, your hex string is messed up Now I'm dead curious, please feel free to pm me with your guess?
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Hmmm.... Sounds interesting. I do enjoy a good citrus eau, and they're generally all similar enough that it would be kind of pointless guessing amongst the thousands out there. And one of the things I enjoyed about the last one was giving up trying to guess what it was...
    I agree - I'm already kicking myself for letting myself take too good of a guess about it. I was thinking about this today on the drive in to work, and realized that Chandler actually buried a subconscious clue confirming my guess. I was both elated and horrified. The former because I just needed an excuse to study it and wallow in my love for it, as well as buy a bottle. The latter, because I realize that I won't be able to separate myself from that earlier love, if I'm right.

I almost hope I'm wrong now.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Personally, I'm down with the mirror thang.
    I love that! TOTALLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Red, dear, your hex string is messed up Now I'm dead curious, please feel free to pm me with your guess?
    He-he-he-he-he.

I'm thinking about it. We'll see.......

Honestly, I'm not sure if I should. I swear you'll have more fun if I don't. Whether you guess it on your own, or whether you experience it without knowing, I really feel that you'll get more out of it that way. A lot more. My cheap [probable] guesswork by [possible] linguistic puzzle-solving did not provide the satisfaction that sniffing to an answer would have.

Don't give up now!!!

Dependent

Or an argument that you're a friggin' genius. You're one of the most prescient BNers my friend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Or an argument that you're a friggin' genius. You're one of the most prescient BNers my friend.
    He's bailed me out of more than a few conundrums. I had no idea why I liked Bleu de Chanel until he figured out where the hooks were buried!

I don't think that Chandler could actually say anything less and not keep the game interesting. I think there's a balance between just letting the noses run around wild without any supervision, and pointing them in a useful direction. In fact, I would say that Chandler has done a great job so far.

BTW - are you interested in playing? Feel free to PM me your address if you are. I have some Untitled Series capital thanks to an angel investor (Birdboy), so I'm feelin' a bit frisky with the juice.

(And hopefully I won't be getting a pathetic 15 mL this time!!! That really made the last split cut pretty close.)

I don't think that Chandler could actually say anything less and not keep the game interesting. I think there's a balance between just letting the noses run around wild without any supervision, and pointing them in a useful direction. In fact, I would say that Chandler has done a great job so far.
    I've really loved the word pictures he's used so far. Even when I don't get the same picture, I like the direction that it pushes us. Definitely away from really specific notes, and more toward emotional and synesthetic responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    I've really loved the word pictures he's used so far. Even when I don't get the same picture, I like the direction that it pushes us. Definitely away from really specific notes, and more toward emotional and synesthetic responses.
    True, although I do love descriptions that anchor the scent to real world experiences (smells). But abstract descriptions can also be useful. As I said, I love the idea of the mobile and mercury glass, and am looking forward to seeing how they are expressed in the fragrance.

I agree - I'm already kicking myself for letting myself take too good of a guess about it. I was thinking about this today on the drive in to work, and realized that Chandler actually buried a subconscious clue confirming my guess. I was both elated and horrified. The former because I just needed an excuse to study it and wallow in my love for it, as well as buy a bottle. The latter, because I realize that I won't be able to separate myself from that earlier love, if I'm right.

I almost hope I'm wrong now.

He-he-he-he-he.

I'm thinking about it. We'll see.......

Honestly, I'm not sure if I should. I swear you'll have more fun if I don't. Whether you guess it on your own, or whether you experience it without knowing, I really feel that you'll get more out of it that way. A lot more. My cheap [probable] guesswork by [possible] linguistic puzzle-solving did not provide the satisfaction that sniffing to an answer would have.

Don't give up now!!!
    Ok but you're an evil tease

I have no idea what to look for, I clearly read the description wrong, as each time I see other clues. So for now I'm focusing on the the other blind sniffing project, 2 are just 1 too many
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

Ok but you're an evil tease

I have no idea what to look for, I clearly read the description wrong, as each time I see other clues. So for now I'm focusing on the the other blind sniffing project, 2 are just 1 too many
    Yeah!

I agree - multiple sniff projects would be impossible. If you come back to this one when the bottles begin to hit people's mailboxes, you willl start getting some excellent clues, I'm very sure, and the game will be on again!!!

I have multiple other fragrance writing projects in need of attention, so a couple of free weeks will do me good as well.

So my grounding description for E04 is going to be "quicksilver spider webs"

I also wanted to let everyone know that for the E04 reveal I'm going to be in NYC in the same room with Chandler so that will hopefully lead to a little looser kind of discussion.

I wanted to thank everyone for sending questions in to cbuntitled@gmail.com that is going to be the place I will be looking for questions. One favor I ask is to fully explain what kind of answer you're looking for in the e-mail but please try and distill your question down to something I can ask easily and succinctly on the video. If I know what you want out of the question I can, hopefully, steer Chandler towards the subject you would like answered.

I'll be back here once we all get our bottles for this round.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I tell you, man, I sure hope I sense them in the juice!!!

I also wanted to let everyone know that for the E04 reveal I'm going to be in NYC in the same room with Chandler so that will hopefully lead to a little looser kind of discussion.
    Very cool! Have a great time in the Big Apple!

I wanted to thank everyone for sending questions in to cbuntitled@gmail.com that is going to be the place I will be looking for questions. One favor I ask is to fully explain what kind of answer you're looking for in the e-mail but please try and distill your question down to something I can ask easily and succinctly on the video. If I know what you want out of the question I can, hopefully, steer Chandler towards the subject you would like answered.
    Yeah, good idea! I thought you did a great job turning my rather verbose question about art and fragrance into something that actually worked in a video. Your editing skills clearly on display again!

See you then!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    ...it seems to me that he's not indicating that shiso is in the perfume (or ginger essence), but that the titular ingredient of the perfume is as rare as shiso and ginger essence...
    Yes, and my apologies if that wording isn't clear, guys. SoSoul, that's indeed what I mean: the material in E04 is used as rarely, in a major aesthetic way, as shiso or ginger.
    Last edited by chandlerburr; 9th September 2012 at 04:45 AM.

E05- whoosh!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan88888888 View Post
    E05- whoosh!
    LOL!

I knew that perfumery reminded me of programming. Fix one bug......

I knew that perfumery reminded me of programming. Fix one bug......
    Sorry-- E04. We're working on E05.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    Sorry-- E04. We're working on E05.
    No problem - and thanks for the confirmation on E05, too!

*RP high-fives Irina in cyberspace somewhere over the middle of the Atlantic*

I want this! But they don´t ship to Sweden. =(

That sounds fantastic! I will do my best to email you so questions again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    Yes, and my apologies if that wording isn't clear, guys. SoSoul, that's indeed what I mean: the material in E04 is used as rarely, in a major aesthetic way, as shiso or ginger.
    Thank you for clearing this up, CB!
    Although now I'm confused about ginger as I don't consider that so rare...

But there are so many natural extracts that are overlooked or only used in very tiny amounts (to throw off the GC as Ellena wrote once) due either to the rarity, purity (supplier problems) or expense.

- - - Updated - - -

*RP high-fives Irina in cyberspace somewhere over the middle of the Atlantic*
    High-five back to you I may do NY sometimes again in the future, it's 'only' a 6 hrs flight from Amsterdam!
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

Good news, people. I got this in the morning:

We wanted to give you a friendly update on your purchase. Your "The Untitled Series: S01E04" order is being prepped at our warehouse right now, so expect your package within a week.

Cool!

Basenotes Plus

Excellent news!

Blog Entries

Excellent news!
    Yes - I'm not at all disappointed by the delivery date on this. There will still be plenty of time to get samples out and spend some quality sniffing time on it.

Hope you get word, too, very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Ha, thanks, although I have no idea how the title could apply to me. I read some of my own prior observations and just shake my head and can't help but wonder, "What was I thinking?"

I suppose that was the blessing and curse of the (now cured, or at least in remission) chemical sensitivities I suffered. I'd hone in on very odd aspects of certain fragrances and also see links between seemingly disparate fragrances thanks to a given chemical or two that they shared. It's interesting revisiting frags now without the sensitivities - for one projection seems greatly reduced although I do still get 8+ hour longevity on nearly everything (I don't think I'm anosmic to many if any musks). The best part is that many frags (many of which I loved) that caused me physical pain and which wearing became an exercise in masochism no longer cause me any distress! Incidentally, many more frags smell 'natural' to me (not as in 'made with naturals' as I know very well how naturals smell and find few scents that utilize them heavily) but that simply smell nice, smooth, rounded and harmonious rather than discordant. I've also found my love of the intentionally synthetic scents growing, and many of my favorites are very synthetic and - at least as I interpret them - abstract (Fahrenheit 32, M/Mink, Askew, 7 de Loewe [more synthetic than abstract], Djin, etc).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Yes - I'm not at all disappointed by the delivery date on this. There will still be plenty of time to get samples out and spend some quality sniffing time on it.

Hope you get word, too, very soon.
    Received e-mail, shipped today.

I received my bottle of E04 today in MD. Back to the 30mL bottle.

Now that I've smelled it I expect this one to be a very interesting conversation here.
    See you all after everyone has had a chance to experience it for themselves.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Now that I've smelled it I expect this one to be a very interesting conversation here.
    How exciting, Mark!
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

I love your terse and cryptic statement. I'm even more excited! May our sniffs be "interesting times"!

How exciting, Mark!
    I'm quivering with anticipation! I hadn't even gotten an initial shipping statement, but it now appears to be "in transit". Probably not this weekend, but we'll see.....

Oh right : THAT's real helpful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Oh right : THAT's real helpful.
    LMAO

I'm going to be even worse!

"It's here!" *drumroll....*

Basenotes Plus

I'm quivering with anticipation! I hadn't even gotten an initial shipping statement, but it now appears to be "in transit". Probably not this weekend, but we'll see.....
    My e-mail says shipped on the 12th, but tracking shows no movement other than a label was generated. They must use the fragrancenet.com method, ship and hold for someone to pick-up so it moves.

Blog Entries

My e-mail says shipped on the 12th, but tracking shows no movement other than a label was generated. They must use the fragrancenet.com method, ship and hold for someone to pick-up so it moves.
    Cross the number over to the UPS site - that may do the trick. It did for me. These are being mailed by a weird combination of UPS and USPS. The link is to USPS, but the tracking is on UPS. Go figure! I never even got a shipment email, but I went to "My Orders" on OpenSky, and it said it had shipped on the 12th, too.

Basenotes Plus

Cross the number over to the UPS site - that may do the trick. It did for me. These are being mailed by a weird combination of UPS and USPS. The link is to USPS, but the tracking is on UPS. Go figure! I never even got a shipment email, but I went to "My Orders" on OpenSky, and it said it had shipped on the 12th, too.
    Thanks. Worked. They are using something similar to fragrancenet. In their case, they use FedEx to get it to the local PO for final delivery, in this case they are using UPS to hand off to the USPS for final delivery.

Blog Entries

OK, amigos - I'm parting out my juice. Here's my list so far:

(UPDATED LIST)

Birdboy48
    30 Roses
    SculptureOfSoul
    rogalal
    L'Homme Blanc Individual
    MonkeyBars

Do we have any more potential players in the US lower 48? Any of you lovely ladies on the fence, or thinking you'd sit this one out? If so, please holler now! I have three empty packages left. I'm shipping Monday morning. But if I send you a sample, you have to get in here with the gang and give us your impressions and opinions!

Declare your intent openly here, then PM me your address!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 16th September 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: updated list

Blog Entries

Red, thanks very much for thinking of me but I am going to bow out... I have a lot on my plate right now family-wise and don't feel I can give it proper attention.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Red, thanks very much for thinking of me but I am going to bow out... I have a lot on my plate right now family-wise and don't feel I can give it proper attention.
    Glad you caught me in time! If you're sure, then I'll go ahead and let your sample go to another interested party. I know what you're saying - these sniffs can take a lot out of one. I'm already feeling it.

I've just wasted 5 or 6 hours trying to verify that it's what I think it is - and discovered just how much of a brain drain that is. I actually have an old sample of my original guess, but discovered to my horror that S01E04 smells MORE like what it's supposed to be than my old sample does. So what does that mean? That my old sample went bad? Or has their been a reformulation? Or am I just out to lunch on my guess?

Yes - clearly it's possible to waste a lot of time on this. So - no problem.

Any takers for some serious sniffing / obsessing?

I've just wasted 5 or 6 hours trying to verify that it's what I think it is - and discovered just how much of a brain drain that is. I actually have an old sample of my original guess, but discovered to my horror that S01E04 smells MORE like what it's supposed to be than my old sample does. So what does that mean? That my old sample went bad? Or has their been a reformulation? Or am I just out to lunch on my guess?

Yes - clearly it's possible to waste a lot of time on this. So - no problem.

Any takers for some serious sniffing / obsessing?
    Can't wait to hear more about E04!

And yes, with old samples oxidation is your worst enemy and can ruin any good blend. Especially if the blend contains citrus, like this one has been described.
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

Can't wait to hear more about E04!

And yes, with old samples oxidation is your worst enemy and can ruin any good blend. Especially if the blend contains citrus, like this one has been described.
    Interesting! I'm wondering if the decomposition products would obscure woody notes and lead to a more nondescript base. S01E04 has a nice woody drydown with distinct cedar/cedaroids, that are detectable almost from the beginning, but the wood notes are far less clear-cut in my old sample.

I'm not ready to say that my guess is right, but they're so similar otherwise, that my hunch is oxidation or minor changes to the formulation. I would say that the differences are less than what we found with E02 / Mugler Cologne.

Interesting! I'm wondering if the decomposition products would obscure woody notes and lead to a more nondescript base. S01E04 has a nice woody drydown with distinct cedar/cedaroids, that are detectable almost from the beginning, but the wood notes are far less clear-cut in my old sample.

I'm not ready to say that my guess is right, but they're so similar otherwise, that my hunch is oxidation or minor changes to the formulation. I would say that the differences are less than what we found with E02 / Mugler Cologne.
    In that case I would say 'reformulation'. Woody notes rarely oxidize ime. Could be a case of 'oakmoss reformulation'.
    LOL cedaroid *chuckle*
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

In that case I would say 'reformulation'. Woody notes rarely oxidize ime. Could be a case of 'oakmoss reformulation'.
    You know, I thought that reformulation was such a weenie answer, but the way IFRA has been scaring the pants off people lately, with more austerity talk than in the economy - well - maybe it's right!

LOL cedaroid *chuckle*
    I love to think of these wonderful woody molecules - with, for all practical purposes, the lowest-level structure of cedar or ambergris, as "bionic naturals".

"Atlas Cedar, absolute, a component barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the worlds first Bionic wood. Atlas Cedar will be that wood. Better than it was before. Better. Stronger. Longer lasting."

I'm just waiting for the flanker component, a truly feminine cedar!

[Note the civety and floral facets emerging from the woody structure!]

I love to think of these wonderful woody molecules - with, for all practical purposes, the lowest-level structure of cedar or ambergris, as "bionic naturals".

"Atlas Cedar, absolute, a component barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild it, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the worlds first Bionic wood. Atlas Cedar will be that wood. Better than it was before. Better. Stronger. Longer lasting."

I'm just waiting for the flanker component, a truly feminine cedar!

[Note the civety and floral facets emerging from the woody structure!]
    Brilliant Does that picture depict how you feel about E04?
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Blog Entries

Brilliant Does that picture depict how you feel about E04?
    Only - and to some extent - about the woody part. That part is very natural, but in a surreal way. It's a nice cedar, and better than a lot of them right now (even some rather impressive niche), but it's still has a certain unnatural but attractive smoothness that tells me it didn't drop straight out of the garden. [RP puts on black cowboy hat and spits from his horse...."That robotic wood woman from the future is somewhere around here. Forget the train! Back to the hide-out, boys! YEE-HAAH! ]

The opening is pretty breathtaking in a citrus-based way - I would apply it repeatedly, to catch the opening again and again, except for the fact that I have to ship half of the juice to the others who are playing along on my bottle. I have to say - right now I'm liking this better than L'Etrog.

The woody part peeks through the citrus from the very beginning, and quietly becomes almost everything. A bit of the citrus feel manages to ride along all the way.

Chandler's description is apt, in that it's not overtly floral, but you do get an idea that the Good Floral Fairie (see Fig. 1 above) is hiding in the stump and casting her spell on the citrus. I won't specify the flower, so that others can see what they think when they get the sample.

The wood also seems to hide a bit of musk, but not nearly so much as my old sample seems to show. It is in the far drydown, where even the wood of S01E04 seems to fade, that S01E04 and my old sample of my guess converge completely again. But there is a wee bit of "tobacco" (spicy leaf and plum) in the heart, at the end of the opening, that seems to make E04 distinct from my old sample, and makes me think they're two different animals entirely.

The old silver mirror / mercury / whatever - I think that must be in the beginning. And if the fragrance is what I think it is - that sucker is actually very weird and webby, even in the heart - but my schnoz is hardly up to it at the moment. So - this is going to be one that people will need to mess with QUITE A BIT to "find Chandler", so to speak!

Only - and to some extent - about the woody part. That part is very natural, but in a surreal way. It's a nice cedar, and better than a lot of them right now (even some rather impressive niche), but it's still has a certain unnatural but attractive smoothness that tells me it didn't drop straight out of the garden. [RP puts on black cowboy hat and spits from his horse...."That robotic wood woman from the future is somewhere around here. Forget the train! Back to the hide-out, boys! YEE-HAAH! ]
    Wonderful imagery

The opening is pretty breathtaking in a citrus-based way - I would apply it repeatedly, to catch the opening again and again, except for the fact that I have to ship half of the juice to the others who are playing along on my bottle. I have to say - right now I'm liking this better than L'Etrog.
    Sounds beautiful! I love L'Etrog so can't wait for the reveal to add this one to my wish list

The woody part peeks through the citrus from the very beginning, and quietly becomes almost everything. A bit of the citrus feel manages to ride along all the way.

Chandler's description is apt, in that it's not overtly floral, but you do get an idea that the Good Floral Fairie (see Fig. 1 above) is hiding in the stump and casting her spell on the citrus. I won't specify the flower, so that others can see what they think when they get the sample.

The wood also seems to hide a bit of musk, but not nearly so much as my old sample seems to show. It is in the far drydown, where even the wood of S01E04 seems to fade, that S01E04 and my old sample of my guess converge completely again. But there is a wee bit of "tobacco" (spicy leaf and plum) in the heart, at the end of the opening, that seems to make E04 distinct from my old sample, and makes me think they're two different animals entirely.

The old silver mirror / mercury / whatever - I think that must be in the beginning. And if the fragrance is what I think it is - that sucker is actually very weird and webby, even in the heart - but my schnoz is hardly up to it at the moment. So - this is going to be one that people will need to mess with QUITE A BIT to "find Chandler", so to speak!
    Can't wait to hear more, it sounds like an interesting find! Thank you so much for taking the plunge on this one and share your impressions, Red, it was a long wait!
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Chandler's description of this one is spot on. I think it's a very nice fragrance, but not any where near as good as he thinks it is.

Hey Chandler, let's get into to some full bodied scents. These airy, transparent light JCE wimpy scents are boring me.
    Last edited by thebeck; 23rd September 2012 at 02:10 PM.

Now that I've smelled it, I can see why Chandler would say this is a fragrance that anyone could love, its beautiful in a way that isn't too challenging. Sadly, now that I have my bottle I also have a cold and my nose isn't up to par. I'm hoping this will clear up soon!

I've been enjoying L'Etrog more and more - since I wore it almost daily two weeks ago, it was on all my clothes, and when I did the laundry I couldn't help noticing how nice it smelled. I also had my two nieces sample it, and enjoyed smelling it on them across the room. I think smelling a fragrance on someone else is a good way to test how you feel about it.

I am definitely enjoying this fragrance. Citrus is in my comfort zone. That said, unfortunately my skin pretty much eats this fragrance. I tried spraying it yesterday on my clothes also, and the scent lasted fine on them, but on my skin it disappears quite quickly.

I was complimented by two strangers in a store yesterday. This scent does seem like a crowd pleaser. It is pleasant, and light, and the drydown has this fun tangy mix of citrus and something else. Civet, perhaps?

Is E04 so dull? Or are the BN-ers that smelled it, too few? For a scent presented as 'beautiful' the (emotionally laden) reviews are meager *scratched head*
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

I've smelled it, and I also find it pleasant and lovely, but really subtle. No one note stands out to me, I get an overall impression of something bright, a little sweet and tart, citrusy and fruity (rose?), with a plummy-woody undertone (and some tea or tobacco leaf maybe?).

It is a delicate scent and wears like a light cologne, and gets lost on my skin after a while. By contrast, I sniffed it alongside Rose Ikebana and Osmanthe Yunnan (two scents that seemed comparable), and both of the Hermes scents smelled stronger, more direct, and less abstract.

Very juicy and floral to me. Makes me think of breakfast. Coming down on a nice day to fresh juice and flowers. Windows are open and I can smell the lawn in the breeze. Very happy scent. Reminds me of an ex. That part isn't so happy.

Oh well

I imagine if I wore this in public, I'd just get told I smell like a girl.

Definite tea later on... Reminds me a bit of Gucci PH II... Which also makes me happy.