Code of Conduct

Default Malle, Bond, or Artisan!!! Who is the best House.

I love Bond!!!! They hit and miss!!! But all Editions of FM are all in beautiful even the off beat ones.

Default Re: Malle, Bond, or Artisan!!! Who is the best House.

I'd have to go with malle
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Of these three, Malle. Bonds are uninspired imho and Artisan frags are all so pretty, they lack *oompf!*
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I haven't smelled many Bonds, and what I have didn't wow me -- so I'm not motivated to try more.

Artisan have some good scents and some boring ones, but they could be a contender. I have a few Artisans I quite like, but none I love.

Malle on the other hand I have several likes and several loves and have yet to try them all. Two so far I appreciated but had no interest to wear myself.

What the heck, I'll go with Malle.

Malle is the most disappointing of the three for me. Musc Ravageur is the only one I'd spend that kind of money on. Bond is the most wearable, L'Artisan is the most unique and interesting. If I could only wear scents from one of those houses, I'd pick Bond, but I admire L'Artisan more because they have the most unique, interesting scents.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

As far as my experiences go with all of these three.. it still is Frederic Malle..
    unico grande amore.

None of these houses have been overly impressive but I'd have to go for Frederic Malle. If L'Artisans were not so thin and watery, I would have voted differently.

I own about the same number of Malle & Artisan but if I had to pick one of the two as a house it would probably be Malle as I suspect I will still be wearing some of their offerings in five or ten years time. I have tried to find something in the Bond range that (a) has some identity and (b) warrants the price, but so far no luck. Shame, because some of the bottle designs are cool - it's just that what's in them doesn't do it for me . . .

Sur la Plage

I would put Malle first, L'Artisan a close second and Bond a way distant third.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Malle comes top for me, Not having tried bond mind- Id still put it 3rd...
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

They are hard to compare. Whom do you like better? Nina Simone (art), Nora Jones (high quality, very accessible), Madonna (pretentious copycat, but popcultural phenomenon)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Frederic Malle gets my vote. L'artisan is so amazing, too.

Malle gets my vote despite the scents not really appealing to me personally. If asked what I'd wear, I'd choose most L'artisan creations despite its more ephemeral qualities.

As for Bond? Yeah, you're right -- they hit and miss, but when they do hit, the hit is still mostly uninspiring or already "been there, done that." Andy Warhol Silver Factory is unique, but then it's something I'd like to wear.
    Last edited by moltening; 24th May 2009 at 01:52 PM.

L'Artisan gets my vote - Passage d'Enfer, Dzing!, Fou d'Absinthe, Mechant Loup. Yep.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 24th May 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    They are hard to compare. Whom do you like better? Nina Simone (art), Nora Jones (high quality, very accessible), Madonna (pretentious copycat, but popcultural phenomenon)
    I feel compelled to add what what some may consider my pedestrian tastes to this thread.

Malle - Highly regarded by some, more than likely because of their niche reputation and Candice Bergen's nephew being behind this rather disappointing house. I have yet to sample a Malle fragrance that did not stink. The famous and highly regarded Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices immediately come to mind. However, I have actually mastered the art form of soap and hot water for some time now. We have recently had gentleman post fragrance preferences with respect to male armpit stench, male crotch stench, and urine and fecal stench. They are certainly entitled to their fragrance preferences as I am mine. I require proper hygiene with respect to myself and anyone in my general vicinity. Perhaps there are other offerings from this house I should sample before I write it off. However, I am thus far not impressed.

L'Artisan - Highly regarded, expensive and niche of course. However, I have yet to sample an Olivia Giacobetti fragrance that did not have extremely disappointing longevity and sillage.

Bond - Perhaps properly regarded as a copycat house. Fair is fair. Ridiculously expensive. Beautiful flasks do not necessarily make beautiful fragrances. I have been utterly disappointed time and time again by this house. That being said, I do find Chez Bond as a good alternative to Green Irish Tweed. Perhaps a much less refined fragrance, but one with more longevity and sillage.

Chez Bond fits perfectly in what I desire in fragrances: what I characterize as refreshing clean masculines.

I fully anticipate the 5000 post count fragrance experts on this board to disagree with my post. However, we are all entitled to our own preferences, as I am mine.

Best,

TJ

L'Artisan for sure.

My pick would go with Malle. Everything I have tried from them so far is gorgeous, and surprisingly wearable. Bond has one scent in my top 3 in Bleecker Street, but most of the rest is boring. L'Artisan is as others have said just so damn watery and light. I love Fou d'Absinthe and Fleur de Liane but everything else is uneventful to me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

L'Artisan is my choice. Nearly every one I've tried works like magic on my skin -- sillage (I like 'em light), longevity (lasting into the next morning), and a higher proportion of compliments.
    Sniff and let sniff.

A tie for L'Artisan and Malle. I haven't found a Bond that I even like, but admit that I need to explore further.

Blog Entries

My 2 cents:

Malle: Consistently very interesting, but rarely in a wearable way for me.

Bond: Consistently very wearable, but rarely in an interesting way for me.

L'Artisan: The best of both worlds - most are wearable and most are interesting, too. So they get my vote... (but I don't like being "that perfume guy" so I don't care about huge silage and projection).

Side note to the_good_life, I thought you were more of an alternative music chap - Nora Jones?! Points for the broad musical taste...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

For me:
    Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle is the most problematic: artsy, aspirational, elitist and pretentious. Yet they've produced some great things: Musc Ravageur, Carnal Flower, Outrageous!, Noir Epices.

Bond 09 is next up. Aspirational Pop Art, no discounts given, no refunds, store credit only - everyone admitted; will that be cash or credit? They should have tried the ironic approach instead.

L'Artisan Prefumeur. We are the new type of Parisians: we smile and give out samples. Mass market and exclusif. Bon scent. I give them my vote!*

* I own 1 FM: Carnal Flower, 2 Bond 09s: New Haarlem and H.O.T. Always and not one L'Artisan. Hmmm......
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th May 2009 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I cant say it any better than that. Oh, and Trebor is right about L'Artisan as well

Sorry, there is no best house, only best frags. Some houses are more consistent with their releases, but I don't for a second think one is clearly superior. I wish there was to make my shopping easier.

Since I do not wear all the fragrances of a house at the same time, I would say:

B>L>M
    Eau d'New york > Mandarine Tout Simplement> Dans tres Bras
    B>M>L
    Silver Factory>Le P. De Therese>Vanilla
    L>M>B
    L'Eau de Jatamansi > Bigarade Concentrée > Chez Bond
    L>B>M
    L'eau de L'artisan>Fire island> Carnal Flower or French lover.
    M>L>B
    Vetiver E. > Tea For Two > Conney Island
    M>B>L
    Ageliques sous la pluie>Chinatown>Mechant Loup

Safran Troublant vs. Musc Ravageur. Tie. On my skin, they become very similar after a while. One is more elegant, the other more sweaty.
    Last edited by irish; 26th May 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I think it is safe to take Bond out of the running; Laurice Rahme, the president of Bond No. 9 and former US distributor of Annick Goutal and Creed, was sued for knocking of fragrances for Bond No. 9. Also, the idea of making fragrances on demand for clients in New York is contrary to the concept of a truly great niche house that produces great fragrances by great perfumers. Although L'Artisan has produced some great fragrances by great perfumers (Ellena, Giacobetti), Malle is probably the most diverse, coherent, inspired, definitive line that contains masterpiece after masterpiece.

L'Artisan with FM a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Olfacticurean View Post
    Also, the idea of making fragrances on demand for clients in New York is contrary to the concept of a truly great niche house that produces great fragrances by great perfumers.
    I disagree. Actually, I would say that it does not get any more niche than that.
    Last edited by irish; 26th May 2009 at 06:14 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Based on how many scents I like from each house, my ranking goes...

Malle, Bond, then L'Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    L'Artisans were not so thin and watery, I would have voted differently.
    You took the words right out of my mouth, i have tried three and they all were toooo watery. So my vote goes to Bond.

L'Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    That's exactly how I feel, too!

It's not even close for me, Frederic Malle..........significant gap.......L'Artisan.......... humongous gap.........Bond No. 9

Sound Scents

Malle by far over the other two.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Malle, no doubts for me.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Malle >>> L'Artisan >>>>>>>>>>>>> Bond No 9, for me.

Malle for me.
    L'artisan is ok but most of its offers are too weak for my tastes.
    Bond? if they cost a third of their actual price...
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Safran Troublant vs. Musc Ravageur. Tie. On my skin, they become very similar after a while. One is more elegant, the other more sweaty.
    An interesting comparison. I"ll bet that more people have tried MR than ST. The two are different to me, but I see what you are getting at.

MR is big, but I reach for ST much more often.

Frederic Malle >>>> L'Artisan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bond No 9

L'Artisan - unique
    Malle - quality
    Bond - (Silver Factory)
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Out of these three Frederic Malle hands down , then L'Artisan then Bond!

I love Bond's New York Oud , but as a fragrance house, Bond is quite pathetic, I find their bottles heinously tacky and most of their scents are knock offs.
    For me 1. L'artisan 2. Malle and thats it, Bond is not even same level as the other two houses.

haven't tried Artisan, Malle is really not my style at all (way too artsy and out there, not wearable enough), Bond is a good house overall (albeit slightly synthetic on some of the fragrances). New Haarlem is pimp.

Now that I own 6 Malle's, 3 Artisans and 2 Bonds Later..... I came to the conclusion I Love Malle the most
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Basenotes Plus

To my nose,

Malle >>>>> Artisans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bond No. 9.

Malle by a country mile.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Depends on whether you value peaks or overall "across the line" quality.
    Malle has higher peaks, but also lower lows than L'Artisan.
    It's a toss up between Malle and l'Artisan.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Good analogy, but Bond would be more like lady gaga than Madonna.

Dependent

so hard!! but ill have to go with malle for now

Bond-Love and own New Haarlem, Coney Island, and Little Italy
    Malle-Love and would like to own Bigarade Concentree, Geranium Pour Monsieur
    L'artisan-I have no experience with this house other than Timbuktu and I didn't like it

So, for me, Bond in 1st, Malle in close 2nd, and I don't know where I would put L'artisan until I try some more.

For me it's a toss-up between l'Artisan and Malle for many reasons. I want to lean l'Artisan but to be fair I can't.

Bond is a distant bump in my rear-view mirror.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Basenotes Plus

L'Artisan hands down for me. FM's line is stunning by my only loves are Une Rose & Iris Poudre.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Plus

Frederic Malle is my favorite between the 3, then L'Artisan a very close 2nd and Bond would be last.

Malle is easier to get a handle on, because they appear to concentrate on just a few offerings of well-known quality, rather than putting out new frags every ten seconds.

In terms of classics making up a high percentage of their line, they certainly lead the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Frederic Malle is my favorite between the 3, then L'Artisan a very close 2nd and Bond would be last.

+1

None are my favs - but, for me, Malle has a very 50/50 line up, just like L'Artisan. Bond, I haven't sampled many - but there's a reason.

Banned

Of the 3, Frederic Malle.

I dont know enough about any of these 3, but none of them are my favorites.

IMO the 3 best niche houses currently are Amouage, Ormonde Jayne and Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

Theres 2 or 3 artisans fragrances that I like and maybe 2 bonds that I don't hate, so F. Malle by a large margin....